Re:Reviews for Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes Collector's Edition

[Post New]by parmanet on Dec 1, 13 4:22 PM
Im trying to find the skull in the cave but the mirrors doesn't work even if I use a hint.

ChocPeng
Herring
Herring
346 Posts

I Found Elements of This Game Troubling

[Post New]by ChocPeng on Feb 21, 14 5:54 PM

I was really expecting to like this game. I mean, with that high of a rating, how could I go wrong?

I went wrong.

For starters, I found this game to be slow and boring. It's just a "by-the-book" HOG. But, I've completed many slow and boring games. This game, however, started going into places I didn't want to go.

I don't think anything I'm going to write is a spoiler, but I would like to err on the side of caution and advise you to continue at your own risk.

There were a couple of deal-breakers in this game for me. The first one was the overall pervasiveness of the occult. Our protagonist even states how impressed she is at a scientist's library that is "full of books on...the occult" (among a few other subjects).

The next issue is what sealed the deal on the ill will the game was building within me. This is also where what I am going to write could possibly be considered a spoiler, so be forewarned. I don't think it is a spoiler.

You literally have to remove a dead piglet from a barbecue, then carry it for a while before putting the poor little fellow in a trap as bait.

Ok, I know the piglet isn't real. It's just the whole idea of it; throwing a dead piglet – that's how the game referred to it, as a "piglet" – into a trap to lure something. It just turned my stomach.

You may not be as sensitive as I am about the occult, burning baby animals and then putting them into traps as bait. If so, you might like this game. Heck, look at all of the stars others have given it.

However, they do offend my sensibilities, so under these circumstances, I'm afraid I cannot recommend this game.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Mar 13, 14 2:58 PM
First the good side....the annimations and graphics were amazing.

Now, the rest of the story....this game was so long and scattered I wasn't even sure by the time the game was over what it was really all about in the first place. I knew it was something about some stolen runes...but that was about it.

HOS were different, but sometimes soooooooooo dark in some areas I could not even see the object...I would just click in there and hope something was and often it was. Very frustrating. But probably the most frustrating was finding the completed code numbers in one mini game. You find the first three in a book, but the next 2 are written on the side of a mask that is in such a dark area you could not make out the numbers...it took me a lot of looking before I realized there was actually some numbers there, but they were unreadable. (this was in the bonus game).

The main game basically had no ending whatsoever...I do hope they come up with something in the SE because you have to play the bonus game to continue the main game.

The transporter map was an absolute must since this game is all over the place...and I mean all over the place. Map shows where you are and other active areas...very helpful.

I really hate games I have to write down clues or remember them. I thought that is what the journal is for...however the journal only keeps some of the information you need, the rest you have to write down or memorize.

Does not have a locking inventory bar, so it pops up and down...at least I couldn't find the lock. Hint refreshes quickly in the HOS but is a bit slower otherwise. Skip is marginal. Mini games can be easy or skippable depending upon your patience level. A lot of cut scenes with horrible voice-overs which I mostly skipped but was able to gleen that everybody seems to be too tired to help in the search. Funny.

I give this game only a 2+ out of 5....not real happy, in fact mostly frustrated with it.

Tassieo
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Tassieo on Apr 28, 14 6:38 AM
I played the demo on my IPad. That was a mistake, what a poor excuse for a game. It is pure evil. What has happened to all the nice games that use to come out? Come on Big Fish, stop the evil, dreary games for awhile at least. There are some people who like nice games.

Jerry99
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by Jerry99 on Aug 15, 14 4:21 PM
This was a very good and entertaining game. Good clues, interesting games for me and good animation.

Go to: