Calicohorse
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

Re:Reviews for Legacy Tales: Mercy of the Gallows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Calicohorse on May 14, 13 7:52 PM
I'm really enjoying the game, it's very different and I think the artwork is great. I'm even enjoying the slowness (?!?), it's very relaxing somehow and I don't like racing through games anyway. The coins are quite challenging to find and I like that too.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on May 16, 13 5:34 PM
Lose the coin search.Takes away from the game

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on May 17, 13 10:49 AM
I love the coin search. It is innovative and something different. It is one of my favorite parts of the game and since the map tells you if there are coins still in the location it is sort of too easy.

It must be very difficult for game developers to come up with innovative things in games and I think this is a good one.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on May 18, 13 6:48 AM
Most CEs refer to the bonus game play as the Bonus Chapter so when I saw the reviews in this topic that said there were 3 Bonus Chapters I was really excited.

There is only one bonus game, which last about one hour. According to the Strategy Guide, the bonus game is divided into 3 chapters. There are no chapters noted within the game play, so I guess the game developer decided to divide that part of the game into 3 chapters in the Strategy Guide.

I was disappointed that there was only 1 bonus story. I was thinking that finally we were going to get really good bonus content that would be worth double the price, but it seems it was only a use of words to market the bonus game.

Oh well, I got the game on sale and it is a very good game. I'm glad I bought it but it is too bad that the way the bonus game was marketed could leave disappointed customers at the end of the game.

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on May 27, 13 6:55 AM
This CE is a buy for me. The negatives mentioned in the reviews don't bother me. And the coin collecting to open chests sounds like a lot of fun with some challenge. I like the way the map is set-up...letting you know that there is still something there to find or do. And a good story is what pleases me the most.

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on May 29, 13 11:53 AM
yolanded wrote:
shorenuf wrote:Captains and Pirates and Ghosts -- oh my!

Finally a game I am eager to play -- there is a lot of "game" here. I was about to tell you there were no HO scenes, but I eventually came across one. Still, there would seem to be more adventure and puzzles than HOs. And the adventure is fairly complex -- a lot to accomplish, a lot to remember. Black bar info may hint at what to do, but it doesn't tell all. Two modes of play -- hard mode has no sparkles. I was playing in that mode and realized that inventory items have no "hand" cursor to indicate you've found something.

Wide screen
Voice overs
Collectibles -- you must find them to proceed through the game
Interactive HOs
Fast travel Map indicates if there are collectibles left to find or tasks left to do.
Puzzles -- some are unique but nothing mind bending so far
Artwork appropriate to the time and place
Some scenes move from side to side
Music fits the atmosphere
9 Chapters and 3 Bonus Chapters
Strategy Guide, music and concept art

The story: The Captain and his Wife sailed the seas together. When on land they lived in a grand castle. The Captain's wife disappeared one day. Sometime later the Captain washed up on shore dressed in Pirate's clothes. Hard to know why you are brought to the scene, but you meet the wife's ghost; she wants help to reunite with her husband. I played for 40 minutes and that's about all I know. I quit to write this review, but at a point where I really wanted to know what might happen next. That in itself says a lot.

I did find a bit of a lag with scene changes. Not so much if I used the map to change locations.

The strategy guide is found within the game when you click "Menu".

Half price makes this game even more tempting.

I just finished playing European Mystery: Scent of Desire ce
and this new game seems nice the style is different, of course, cute idea collection coin to open baskets, I like how the story is told, for me it is a good game

AMEN!
I agree with everything said here.
I found it relaxing, enjoyable, no heavy brain strain, PLUS Adventure!
kat
=^,,^=

Donq47
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by Donq47 on Jun 3, 13 2:44 PM
This is a fine game. A little slow perhaps in some areas but fine game play I would recommend taking reviews with a grain of salt and get into the demo yourself. I almost didn't give the game an honest shake due to early reviews. Later reviews tend to be more reliable as these are the folks that spend real time with a game....IMO.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 6, 13 8:18 AM
we love collecting the coins, .the game did not grab us , so we will pass on this game........oug & lisa-------------------

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Jun 6, 13 9:48 PM
I did buy the game when it was on sale with an extra bonus punch. It was the same price as an SE and I got the SG as well. In my mind (and way of thinking) it was a very good deal.

There was one thing that I was disappointed about; There was no wallpaper. Now I know there are a lot of you who could care less and I must admit that I used to feel that way too but then I started using the wallpaper while I was playing the game (takes me more than just a day to play the CE's). I really enjoy doing that so I felt a little cheated when all they offered was the Concept Art. Of what use is this? It couldn't even be used as wallpaper. All you can do is scroll through to look at it either before or after you play the game-big whoop.

Still, I'm not sorry about purchasing it and I am enjoying playing the game.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 9, 13 1:11 AM
I Can Hear The Howls Of Disappointment, But...

BASED ON FULL DEMO

The EXPERTS & COLLECTORS are both going to be disappointed by this game. Luckily, not all of us are going to feel that way.

This is actually (although they don’t call it that) the second Youda Mystery game. Don’t let the connection to the cartoonish games put you off though, The Stanwick Legacy was photo realism, and quite enjoyable, and so is this one. It’s also NOT CHILDISH.

The reason for the howling is that it is an EASY ADVENTURE game. A HELPFUL HINT & INTERACTIVE JUMP MAP make the INTEGRATED SG unnecessary. And the GAMEPLAY is very STRAIGHTFORWARD.

I came across 2 HO SCENES, which were very CLEAR but MONOCHROMATIC, and NOT INTERACTIVE.

There were a couple of PUZZLES, but really only one you’d think of that way. And it was VERY EASY.

So this is a GREAT BEGINNERS’ game, and a pleasant enough afternoon for INTERMEDIATE players. EXPERTS, don’t even bother to download it. Honestly.

The other disappointment is that it is NOT CE CALIBRE. There are COINS to COLLECT, but they are needed to progress in the game and by necessity will not be exclusive anyway. They unlock chests holding important items throughout the game.

LENGTH looks okay. The first TWO CHAPTERS took me 45 MINUTES, and there are NINE plus THREE BONUS CHAPTERS.

Bonus Content Review

STRATEGY GUIDE, helpful enough, but I doubt many will need it. GALLERY OF CONCEPT ART and MUSIC. NO OTHER NEW CE FEATURES.

I would probably RECOMMEND the SE version, it does look like a NICE LITTLE GAME.

As a CE, I can’t in good conscience recommend it.

I don’t recommend this game!

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Jun 10, 13 2:08 AM
Wow what a great game this was!!! I was blown away by the photo-realistic graphics and to my joy I realized the scenery was based on real-life locations in The Netherlands!!! The locations are mentioned in the Credits, and you can see real photos of it in the Concept Art. Real castles and their rooms. I loved exploring that beautiful castle and its gorgeous rooms, kitchens and the HOS were very realistic too!
I give just for the graphics alone!

Not to mention the soundtrack, I downloaded to keep it, thanks to the developers for that! The music is beautiful and haunting.

Collecting coins was fun and I could find them all; don't understand how some people will complain about that, they really are not that hard to find! Also, the map is very helpful as it shows you if there are any coins left in each scene. and opening chests to get a needed item was very clever!

And the bonus was fun too, with that green looking glass. Lots of fun minigames and puzzles, none too hard.

One of my top favourite games on Big Fish; a very high-quality romantic ghostly pirate tale!

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

[Post New]by oct2447 on Jun 10, 13 10:42 AM
I really liked everything about this game. Story and visuals are important to me and this game aced those for sure. The scenes inside the home are stunning and I thought the HOS were very well done.
Someone mentioned that the Captain's name, Van Der Decken, had been used in other games. This is the family name of the captain of the Flying Dutchman. As you scroll through the credits, you can see where in the Netherlands the scenes were modeled after.
I had no technical issues, no double cursor, no problems. I think this is one of the best game offerings in a while AND one I will play again!!

Edited on 06/10/2013 at 10:42:42 AM PST

cav1976es
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by cav1976es on Jun 13, 13 1:12 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the game..It kept my interest all through the scenes..Nice mix of things to do..I liked the different music scores..I know I will enjoy playing it again.

JoJoLavin
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by JoJoLavin on Jun 13, 13 8:46 PM
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the game. I don't now why, but I am intrigued and have to make myself take breaks. All I can say is judge for yourself and make up your own mind. Big Fish Games manages to find games all of us can enjoy. Thank goodness this doesn't happen every day or I'd be broke. Happy but broke.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jun 13, 13 10:13 PM
Cheetah68 wrote:I should have 20 coins to open the chest. I have only 16 and simply I can not find the other ones, so I can not continue the game. I did everything I could but there are no coins. Maybe I am not too good, but it is very annoying so I will not buy this game.

Look at the strategy guide, it will tell you where they are. I had coins left over.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jun 13, 13 10:15 PM
This was a disappointing CE....as there were several things that just drove me through the roof and one was the HINT button was a total waste. Plus it took too long to fill up and wasn't as nice as today's CE.

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Jul 13, 13 5:48 PM
Looooooooved this game....here is why.

Love story, I wish we could have more scary romantic stuff....collecting the coins for me was fun, I was able to find most of them without any hints.

It was absorbing, I hear complaints about it being set in the rain...but I kinda find that relaxing....

It had great mini games, great hog scenes (not tooo many at all really....I was happy, and they did a little bit differently on a lot of them, so it wasn't, find 20 items, then go find another twenty items, then go back to the last one and find the next items in the SAME spot...I like the variety. The graphics were great and filled my screen.

The mini game probably for me went an hour and a half....

The CE bonuse's are the mini game (it does add to the story only a little, feauturing the side character in the story in depth) you won't miss out on the main game if you skip the bonus game but I like the little extra and did like to find out what happened in the whole tragic story.

The other bonus's are 22 art (making of drawings)

There are no wallpaper's, screensaver's and you can actually save the REALLY nice game music to your computer.

This game is fabulous and I highly recommend it.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jul 14, 13 2:53 PM
I am not quite through - maybe about halfway judging from the SG - and had to take a break. Too many HOS for me, and some of the objects were so hard to find,I couldn't find them even after the hint circled them for me! Very annoying. I agree about the slowness of the well, of everything!!! Also very annoying. The hint button does, as many have mentioned, takes waaaaaay too long to recharge. And the cursor gets all floaty if you take too many clicks in the HOS. And as I said, alot of the objects were just practically invisable. I will go back and finish the game for two reasons: I want to find out what happened to the Captain and his wife and I love the graphics (guess I'm almost all alone in that one). Love the castle, love the docks, love the drawbridge - well you get the idea!!

feenix

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Aug 6, 14 8:31 PM
finished, I rather enjoyed this game.

Go to: