kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

Re:Reviews for Namariel Legends: Iron Lord

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Aug 28, 13 11:12 AM
just finished the demo I love this game .... it reminds me of the "Dream Chronicles" series which I enjoyed so much... I think it may be the same developers am I right anyone ?
No HOGS thank goodness, this game is so refreshingly different...and I love my little helpers !!
I want this game now, but I have just filled my punchcard and it is so close to the month end so I am going to wait... Thanks Big Fish and the Baby Dragon !!!!

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Aug 29, 13 9:12 PM
Other developers please take note....THIS is how you include helpers and cute little animals. They actually help progress with the game and aren't overly saccharine! Jim made me smile every time I tried to use him incorrectly and he shook his little head at me, like "what are you thinking?...not gonna happen". And the cute little squirrel was completely nonintrusive and helpful when needed. There is absolutely no need for playing dress-up and collecting treats for them! Well done!

I won't go into a full review as others have stated the same positive opinion I have. My main complaint is similar to others as well - cursor issues. I played on a Mac OS 10.8.2 and had the custom cursor and the system cursor/simple black arrow at the SAME TIME. Often they would move at different speeds, which made puzzles where you had to move rather precisely and quickly a major pain. (I've had this issue in other games, but a simple exiting of the game and reentering left only the custom cursor behind - not so with this game.)I ended up skipping the puzzle where you had to maneuver Jim through a maze where toxic spiders and centipedes, etc, jump out at him, I simply did not have enough control over his movements. And I tried many, many times, as I dislike skipping.

Despite that, I enjoyed this game a lot! I had forgotten how much I love pure adventure games, and although this game was fairly simple, it was engrossing and did offer a few challenging puzzles. Overall, I highly recommend this game!

ETA: Now if we can only convince this developer - who may be one of the only ones left who do this - to do a DUAL PC/MAC release, then I would have been a very happy fishy!

Edited on 08/29/2013 at 9:13:54 PM PST

WolfandMoon
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by WolfandMoon on Oct 26, 13 8:47 PM
This was a very challenging game. I enjoyed how hard it was. In some areas, I had no idea where to go or what to do next, so I explored the areas. The graphics are amazing.
I would not categorize this as a hidden object game, it's more like an adventure game with puzzles. Sometimes it took me a minute to figure out how to play the puzzles, some were easy, and some not so much. The story is fantastic and long. It's very addictive and I didn't want to stop playing until the end.

safarinow
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by safarinow on Dec 11, 13 1:45 PM
LOVED, LOVED THIS GAME!! What a fun game! Nothing dark and dreary . No tiny little things to find. No dirty scenes with flies buzzing around . Great graphics. I finished the demo and bought it right away (on your wonderful THANKS sale for $4.99 but I would have paid full price for it as it is that delightful to play) . I say go for it and you won't be sorry (unless you are a HOG affecionado). Enjoy! safarinow

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 25, 14 6:50 PM
This is a terrible game! The hint system is absolutely worthless... it keeps highlighting the thing you're supposed to retrieve, but so far, I have not a clue as to how to retrieve the damn thing. There's a cat you apparently need to soothe, but again, not a clue how to do that.

I'm trashing it before even getting beyond the first scene.

Seriously, how is it that games like this get so many good reviews here, and five stars on that "other" review page?
equusjoy wrote: This looks like such a neat game but I am lost already. Sure the hint shows you what you need but it doesn't help at all. I see a captured tail but I don't have anything to help. I am so frustrated because this looks like it could be a really cool game.
elvenstardragon wrote:What's with the continuous 'loading'. It's like going back to a time when things were constantly 'buffering'. It's very annoying and stops the flow of the game. Every scene or part of a scene has to 'load' itself and it's part of the game not my computer.

The loading arrow is built in and part of the graphics. It could have been a good game and I usually like this Dev's games but I not so sure of this game.

Which is sad because SE games are becoming an endangered species.

Why are BF giving Coupon Codes if they're not going to give us games to use them on?

Edited on 03/25/2014 at 7:30:04 PM PST

kaitlinn
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by kaitlinn on Aug 2, 14 2:34 PM
I really wanted to play this game when it was first released on BFG for PC, but my old clunker desktop didn't have enough RAM.. I just installed my brand new "monster" PC with tons of space and memory and a huge graphics card and along with "Drawn 3 - Trail of Shadows (which was also too large for my old PC), this was one of the first games I bought and installed. Played the game and loved it, but it seemed like there was something missing. I want online to discover it had been available as a CE, but apparently not to us fishies.... How disappointing....Still a good game, though.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Aug 17, 14 10:12 AM
Today's DD: I've read all the reviews and I can't decide. I love steampunk although I am not a big fan of puzzles as my brain usually sees the instructions and shuts down.

I've played part of the demo and my problem is that I never have the slightest idea of what to do. I'm relying on the Hint button and I hate to do that. Maybe it's because in steampunk everything is mechanical and often nothing like anything any of us have ever seen before in real life.

I can't seem to get the hang of the game. Jim started to help me and then I couldn't get rid of him. I couldn't replace what the robot guard was eating and there is no way to skip it. It's like I'm trying to drive a car when I've never seen one before and I don't know if it is the mechanics of the game or me.

There is a lag when you have found all the items you need to find in an area. Then that area finally closes. There is loading between scenes but it isn't long and I don't see that as a problem. The graphics are gorgeous - one of the great things about steampunk. The graphics may sway me to buy this game along with the squirrel (cat? squirrel? cat-squirrel?). It's refreshing to have an animal helper with an attitude and who won't work for free.

I've only played one or maybe two other steampunk games and I did complete them so maybe my limited experience is what is causing me problems with this game.

Why didn't BF offer this as a CE? A SG would have helped someone like me!

Edited on 08/17/2014 at 10:14:34 AM PST

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Aug 17, 14 3:11 PM
What a horrid little game!!!

[Post New]by Tartanpimpernel on Aug 22, 14 11:26 AM
A FANTASTIC game. Pure adventure. I have completed the game in 5 hours 10 minutes, without any glitches, everything ran like 'clockwork'. This game feels more adult than childish and a welcome change from all the sugar coated games we have had recently. Don't get me wrong, I like fairytales, Nutcracker being my favourite, but I feel it is time for a major change. Devs please note and dish up more of the same.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Aug 24, 14 2:14 PM
Finally finished the game after many hours of play, and totally enjoyed the whole thing. The graphics were lovely including the steampunk concept, the characters were interesting to look at, and the puzzles were generally challenging enough to keep my interest. Good points for me included no HOPs (I'm a NOHOPA), the helpers were engaging and not annoying, and there was a story I could understand and follow. Loved the treehouse too - I want one like that, very badly, including the windup gondola.

I didn't use the hint system very often, but I did resort to the YouTube solution for the rat maze, realizing at one point that the arrows had to be clicked in place rather than just put there. Otherwise the game was pretty logical.

My only negative for this game is that the voices are totally inappropriate for the characters - Uncle Dav sounded like he was still in his teens - and were not in any way synchronized with the faces.

I totally recommend this game for players who like puzzles rather than HOPs, and who don't like having their hand held and seeing sparkles all over the place.

I'll be watching for other games by these devs for sure.

[Post New]by Barrendur on Aug 25, 14 8:27 PM
This is one of the good ones! I bought it and I've played it through; it's a lot of fun... and not a HO in sight. (Since I find HO games in most varieties incredibly tedious, the absence is... A... GOOD... THING.)

The character graphics are good and the scenery is a visual delight, particularly the steampunk-y parts. The villains are menacing enough -- and powerful enough -- that the player feels entirely justified fighting against them; there are moments where the robotic soldiers of the Iron Lord seem VERY threatening. Yes, these are Very Bad Guys and they will do Very Bad Things to you, and to the entire world, if you don't stop them.

Your task -- stop the Iron Lord -- is a challenge and a struggle, but never hopeless. The Hint key is quick and useful; several times when I got stuck, I used it to point me to an item I'd missed or overlooked. Sometimes it indicated that an object I'd just assumed couldn't be used here actually COULD. "Hint" is just what the names says; a nudge towards something the player hasn't thought of, or was wrong about.

The game stays interesting throughout -- and it stays *sensible* (logical in terms of the choices presented). The story -- and the player's involvement in it -- makes sense, as a series of plausible choices that thinking beings really might make... IF they were faced with trolls, spirits, a magic world-tree and an army of giant robots. Sensible -- just not likely. ;-) Tasks the player performs in the game make sense in terms of the goal; what the player has to do in any individual task always furthers that goal.

Mini-games and challenges likewise make sense in this game; they're EASY to MODERATE difficulty, though sometimes rather time-consuming, but I enjoyed them all. Not only were there no boring, unconvincing HOS games, but no Sudoko (or whatever that number-grid game is called, the one that requires you to add the numbers in a grid up, down, across and diagonally to make... er, 15?) Anyway, to my relief, none of that tedious crap appeared....

In fact, all the mini-games/challenges were NEW to me, and *that* is worth its weight in gold.

I just thoroughly enjoyed this entire game. It was fun and fantastical, with cyberpunk graphics and traditional fantasy characters; there were always things for the player to do, and the story, while ultimately rather "stock", was interestingly and imaginatively delivered. It was a good time, and I recommend it.

Go to: