Re:Reviews for Dark Manor: A Hidden Object Mystery

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Oct 10, 13 6:34 PM
ICK!! They say you can't cure stupid & this game proves it. I'm uninstalling it as fast as I can!!

[Post New]by jennyanne64 on Oct 12, 13 1:19 AM
I love this game! The graphics are awesome. The night is my favorite and I like to zoom in and catch the little details I've missed while playing. I also enjoy moving the walkways around and watching my walkers acclimate themselves. This is a truly visually stunning game. But, and you knew there'd be at least one, I hate it when I click on an item to move it and the screen zooms and moves. Then when I pick the object up, it's hard to control. I place it, and it will jump. Or, I'll click on one item, the screen will zoom while I'm in the process of clicking the "move" icon and wind up picking up another item. Then, as soon as I'm finished, up pops the horizontal menu, or it will pop up in front of what I'm trying to grab. I guess what I'm saying is that I really wish the screen to be still and not jump when I click.

Otherwise, this is a wonderful game and I'm enjoying the play very much. Thank you.
Jenny from 666 Cluesville

L_Amour
Clownfish
Clownfish
713 Posts

[Post New]by L_Amour on Oct 21, 13 8:31 AM
I love this game, and already play the iOS version from the pre-worlwide-release. I'm hooked.

Yet, I have to post I am dissapointed about something.
I purchased the premium scene 10.4, immediately when it was released, and paid A LOT of money for that. I find, that the highest prenium scene should at least also pay out the most (read here: silver, not reputation).

I am dissapointed because this isn't the case, premium scene 9.4 pays out much better. First: the avarage standard silver payout is already different. Second: scene 10.4 often doesn't give time bonus/alphabetical bonus (in my game, for example, NEVER in unscramble modus, and also often not in blitz modus), and also has no loction groups.

So, I regret I purchased 10.4, and if this happens more often, it will definately be a reason for me to stop purchasing any new premium scenes in the future.

Edit: for typos

Edited on 10/21/2013 at 8:37:05 AM PST

Txhlfan
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Txhlfan on Oct 26, 13 5:22 PM
I really don't like the oct 25 upd. Cost of land - which was already expensive went up. I am starting to get bored with playing the same scenes,trying to get silver or xps to expand. Also takes to long to get juju to move to new scene. I maybe joining the uninstall group!

[Post New]by waterdragon3 on Oct 27, 13 5:26 PM
A few days ago I told my husband the Whitehouse should get the guys from Big Fish to fix the healthcare website because if anyone can they could.....and then you go and toilet paper my house. Please make the grounds green lose the spider and the next time you feel like vandalizing please take it on down the road.
By the way Love the game.

Edited on 10/27/2013 at 6:46:28 PM PST

[Post New]by gagamolina on Oct 28, 13 2:46 AM
I have a suggestion~requests
It would be realy nice if their was a -waterfall/pond/or a fountain,that would make things more eerie!I truely am a fan of this game,especially now that there are more options.Thank you BIG FISH team!

mdamlady
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by mdamlady on Oct 28, 13 11:29 AM
I don't post much as you can see, but I just had to come and chime in with my 2 cents!!

Clever graphics (except the giant spider in the update was a bit much) and love the walk-a-bouts - especially the Geisha and the skeleton on the **** stick!!

I get the gold to silver conversion, but what about also in reverse - changing silver into gold?

Uh, the price on new land expansion did get a bit high though especially with real estate prices hitting a bottom low (put it back the way it was)!!

All in all - worth the price of admission!! Thanx!!

Edited on 10/28/2013 at 11:30:30 AM PST

mommafitz
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by mommafitz on Oct 28, 13 3:03 PM
I loved this game but it is getting to much, same ole same ole. I just purchased land that is going to take 9 Days to generate. I have no more room to add anything not even a sidewalk. So what for 9 days I am to pop juju and coin bubbles. That's the only way to get more juju. Give me a break over here. With the latest update I was somewhat disappointed to find the things I spent REAL money to get are now on sale for pennies, I guess it would have been better to have waited until they really release the game. I just don't know if I can come in and play this game for nine days playing same ole scenes and popping bubbles. It doesn't take that long to clear a real acre of land! Could someone tell me how much worse its going to get if I stay and buy more land will it go to two weeks? a month after that? I don't know how much land you can buy?

PTBT
Catfish
Catfish
1,659 Posts

[Post New]by PTBT on Oct 29, 13 10:12 AM
There are 28 plots of land. It is a giant pain to wait if you buy with silver, and it drives us all nuts, but you can always summon with gold if you have enough and want to get the land quicker. Not sure at this point how much longer they go, my last one was 9 days also.

BTW, I LOL - popping bubbles - you are so right!!!!!

Cglider
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by Cglider on Nov 3, 13 3:47 PM
Love this game! The real fun for me is decorating the grounds. I have maxed out the land, so I'm hoping they add new plots soon. I will really hate it if we are forever stuck with the current 28.

Still, the game is wonderful.

Thanks Big Fish from 1 Carman Cove.

suetyler
Minnow
Minnow
292 Posts

[Post New]by suetyler on Nov 15, 13 11:12 AM
I like the game, but it still crashes constantly, even after the maintenance that was done. In fact, for me, the crashing is even worse than it was before, and each time, I lose something. You guys gave me back my 78 energy points once time, but now I've lost items to buy, that I was awarded after tasks were completed. They just disappeared after crashing. I've lost completed tasks, that appeared again, unfinished, after a crash. The game just doesn't work right, and it costs a lot of money to play it. You can work for days or weeks to save up enough money to buy land, or whatever, so, to not have to do that, you can buy gold. It's really expensive to buy the gold, which you really, really, have to do if you want to buy new land without waiting for weeks (if you buy with money, you still have to wait for 5 days while the land, which you've paid for, sits on your screen and sparkles). Yay. So, because it's so frustrating, I find that I don't play so much anymore. I'll wait the week for the land to stop sparkling, rather than just going in and staring at everything that I can't do until then. I have to say that I rate it pretty low, just because of the technical problems and the way it's designed to force you to spend lots of money to play it. (We already pay for the game membership, which is $86 a year, so I'd hardly call it a "free to play" game.) Otherwise, it would be a fantastic game to play. If there wasn't so much real money spent on it, which gets lost often, I'd even put up with the crashing. But, I DO lose stuff that translates into real money. So -- low grade for this one.

Candle_Light
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by Candle_Light on Nov 22, 13 1:24 AM
Hi all, this is a good time waster game with flare. Fun to play, nice to watch.

So kudos to all the graphics designers and developers and application engineers.

BUT, Shame on you for not fixing what you broke when you made it available to IOS! And for not testing it thoroughly!

I see no recent complaints from that mac community, BUT, the windows community is suffering. You know what you changed because I know you have some kind of QA control. So please fix the "stuck at logo screen" and "enter screen" crashes and mid scene crashes" and "mid neighbor visit" crashes . If you want to be facebook, be facebook, but be it on PC. I thought it was developed for PC. If you want to be MAC,then be MAC, if you want to be both, buy more servers and figure it out already, 6 days is way too long to wait for you to figure out the problem. YOU KNOW WHAT CHANGED!

OK, all that being said, if you could play it it is a great game to relax with. Very nice graphics, lots of interesting sounds, lil things to look at and stuff. I really don't mind spending the gold or waiting for the lands and stuff, because there is alot to do. Its alot like the other facebook games but better because of the day/night thing, and the animations.

I just wish I could play.

Candle_Light
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by Candle_Light on Nov 22, 13 1:26 AM
As an aded note, I really dont care about the lost energy, the lost days of gifts and gold.... I want to be able to play the game. All that other stuff is trivial. I either want to play it or forget it.

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Feb 5, 14 3:48 PM
This is the kind of game I LOVE - very well drawn graphics in hidden objects, the chance to decorate something, non-linear so I can make strategic decisions. Yet, I won't be playing this for two reasons.

1) I speak English, not icon. I do not intend to learn a second language. If you can't put captions on the buttons, at least put a caption in a mouse-over. Just because some other game used a gear to mean Menu or a hammer to purchase decorations doesn't mean it is intuitive.

2) Lack of instructions. The only way to figure out how something works is to do it wrong and then feel stupid. For example, walkers go somewhere and get something, but you have no idea where they go or what they get unless you spend lots of game money needlessly or pour through forums. Some things only work at night, but you can't tell what without endless trial and error or lots of searching through forums. So there is no strategy, just trial and error.

If you like a lack of instructions and want to figure out how things work and you have mastered icon in place of words, you might really like this game. Personally, I think it is a shame for the developer to go to this much work and then not bother with captions and instructions in a Help or FAQ.

PTBT
Catfish
Catfish
1,659 Posts

[Post New]by PTBT on Feb 5, 14 10:05 PM
If I may, please take a look at Dark Manor 101. There are pages of information about the game compiled by many of us who didn't know what anything was either!

There are also New Player tips on the FB page; no FB account required:

https://www.facebook.com/DarkManorGame

papa_pahs
Minnow
Minnow
289 Posts

[Post New]by papa_pahs on Feb 6, 14 7:48 PM
I really enjoy this game. There's whimsey in the story line and the decorations. I love that it is non linear, and I can choose the games I play and my own strategy. The techs who produce the graphics are brilliant ... I have never seen such amazing artwork, detail, imagination and craft in a HO game. Being able to switch from day to night is fun, and it is also fun to scroll the grounds (my own and my neighbours) to see how things behave differently in day or night modes. I am constantly delighted, challenged, frustrated and rewarded by this game .... and that is what keeps me coming back.

I've also come to look forward to the special season treats provided by the developers. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas ... all came with extra games, objects, challenges and delights. The occasional extra challenges, like the recent treasure hunt, add excitement and engagement. Even when glitches happen, customer support folks are amazing in their response time, and their efforts to compensate players for losses or inconvenience.

Perhaps it is because the standards are so very high in this game, that I feel disappointed by the valentine bonus game "tunnel of love". It still has the lovely graphics, the game play is just challenging enough to be interesting, but where is the bonus in the "bonus" game? When the precedent is to award a special item for the completion of a bonus game, the award of such a small amount of silver just isn't enough to justify the use of the energy points it takes to complete the game. The new valentine enigma "tunnel of love" would have been a lovely, and appropriate award for completing the HO scene, and well within practices previously set.

Now that I am at level 58 in the game, my experience tells me that the rewards are fewer and farther apart, it takes longer and longer to purchase land - both for the purchase price (422 Gold or $1,696,793 silver) and the wait time (12 days), there are minimal incentives for reaching new levels, and a game which at the lower levels kept me engaged for hours and hours a day, I now feel that 1-2 hours a day of game play is more than enough.

I have purchased 29 of the available 32 (4 deep X 8 wide) plots of land, have two games in chapter 13 left to open .... but with the glacial pace of accumulating gold, juju or silver to purchase remaining land or open new scenes, I am beginning to find it difficult to remain as engaged as I once was, and I miss that.

Edited on 02/08/2014 at 6:02:44 PM PST

suetyler
Minnow
Minnow
292 Posts

[Post New]by suetyler on Feb 7, 14 1:39 PM
I've been playing this game for several months, now. It's a wonderful game idea, and the graphics are beautiful. It's also highly addictive. What I don't like in it, are pretty much what everyone else has complained about. It is filled with glitches, and crashes constantly. I often have to try up to 10 times (at which point I quit) to even get in past the entry gates. I've dealt with bfg technical support over and over, but they are unable to fix anything. I just keep getting the same suggestions, which never work, and Dr. Felix files sent to them yield no fixes. It's also ridiculously expensive to play, despite the fact that I've had a game club membership for many years (over 5, but can't remember exactly how long). When the game crashes, it often does so at the beginning of a HOS, which results in my losing 15 energy, and not being able to play the scene. If it weren't for gifts from neighbors, I'd probably not have enough energy to play at all. It takes a couple of days for bfg support to get back to me on this issue, and replace the energy lost. This is a burden, and happens too often to complain about. So, I have to say that the developers apparently rushed this game into use without taking the care that they once did, with the games. The "Free To Play" moniker is a misnomer. To be able to play the game at a rate that yields any satisfaction, you have to buy gold. And, that gets very, very expensive. So, I play for about 10 minutes, and then have to wait for the energy to replace itself, which takes hours. My review would probably rate 2 or 3 stars out of 5, if there was a star rating system. If I knew what I know now, when I started the game, I wouldn't play it.

[Post New]by Smelly_Helly on Mar 10, 14 4:02 AM
You guys are awesome! Thanks developers! You guys work so hard! Fun game!

cokienutt
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by cokienutt on Mar 21, 14 9:58 AM
I had to get a hint for practically all items. They are so small , can barely see even with a hint. I play to enjoy not get stressed out. Will delete game. Whole thing too complicated.

WolfandMoon
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by WolfandMoon on Apr 10, 14 4:45 PM
I had to try this game. Graphics are good but wow all the bugs! Once a day when it loads to the next screen it crashes and I have to restart. And then when I log into play it sometimes doesn't load my energy back to 50 from the night before. However it is a free game, and it is pretty, but the bugs are very annoying.

Go to: