lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Legends: The Curse of Vox Collector's Edition

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 2, 13 7:52 AM
We are loving this game . we got it and have been playing all day , now we cant wait to get back into the game. we give this game a 5 out of 5 . can not find a better game than this one.--
The graphics are GREAT - just the way we like them. the game is fun and interesting. -----doug & lisa-------------

s_sgs
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

Updated Reviews for Haunted Legends: The Curse of Vox Collector's Edition

[Post New]by s_sgs on Jul 2, 13 7:04 PM
SURPRISED - DIDN'T LIKE! of 5 Stars

COMPLETED GAME+BONUS CHAPTER,Hard Mode.-No sparkles, black bar hints.

I expected to LOVE this one! It is a polished, gorgeous, whimsical world with original, cute, fun HOS and Mini-Games and all the bells and whistles people expect in CE games. Unfortunately those #$%& flowers and a couple of other things got to me.

**Revised 7/10/13**
SO WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE?
Well for starters there was no map. Seriously? OOPS! My Bad! YES there is a map and a good one at that.-Thanks Fellow fish for pointing it out. Bottom left over MENU.
----------------------
HOS: Scenes already played appear in same state they were left after previous round of play. -Love that feature!

-HOS & MINI-GAME: HOS have embedded mini-games remaining fun and clever to end of bonus chapter.Mini games well done. -- "use telescope to locate constellations", "use compass on map to zoom to re-create using a variety of methods, "organize like images". -Much Fun!

-ARTWORK/GRAPHICS: Scenes original, bright and crisp with beautifully wrought detail. Lots of eye candy throughout - HOS, Mini-Game, Scenes.

-COLLECTIBLES: 2 of the 3 for me were clever and original..
1) Necklace of Rings: Cool feature to collect rings for a necklace used to break barriers of "evil". Rings ornate and detailed, looked forward to find each one.
2) Ghosts: Most early one scenes had a "ghost" to find, like morphing objects. Found Ghosts would broke a seal on a letter stored in the journal. Open letters contained reduced recharge time for hint and skip buttons.

HEARTY DISLIKES:

NO AREA COMPLETE or CHAPTER SEPARATION: Scenes remain accessible when there is no reason to go back.

SASSY SIDE-KICK: NOT ONE in the traditional sense. As with prior offerings the rotten tempered, evil dude with Napoleon complex pops up regularly causes trouble then leaves. -Detracts from FUN-FACTOR. Designers would have been better served taking a page from Warner Brothers who created the best of the bads--Yosemite Sam, Wile E. Coyote, Marvin the Martian, etc.

CUT-SCENES: TOO much talking. Slow, Light on Content

COLLECTIBLES: 3 of 3 Lost Cause
3) Green House:The gimmick of collecting, growing and selling flowers was distracting, time consuming, pointless, and UN-FUN.

OVERALL RECOMMEND FOR QUALITY OF HOS,MINI-GAME

Edited on 07/10/2013 at 12:36:16 PM PST

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Jul 3, 13 6:01 PM
ERS is one of my favorite dev. I have the other Haunted Legends series. This is a very good series and I will be buying this one.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Reviews for Haunted Legends: The Curse of Vox Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 4, 13 8:23 PM
s_sgs wrote:SO WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE?
Well for starters there was no map. Seriously? - The combination of no map, no "area complete", and no separation of areas by chapter, resulted in some back and forth to find those teeny little overlooked rings and un-played HOS.

Not sure how you could have played the whole game and not seen the map, which is at the left, and sits right above the blue Menu button. It shows you where you are, and where actions are needed. It can also be used to jump.

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Jul 5, 13 2:13 AM
Just finished + got all achievements and planted all flowers (made around 20.000 gold in the process)

Excellent game, lovely colourful graphics, good balance of minigames and Hidden Object Scenes, fun and diverse puzzles, some interactive Scenes which are fun to do.

Fun to find the paranormal ghosts/objects, the rings and sprouts. Lots to do

And the map was huge, scrollable, very good and big map Great and long adventure + a long bonus game too

Also, liked watching the ERS Team photos in the Extras, quite funny

Edited on 07/05/2013 at 2:14:50 AM PST

napapen
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by napapen on Jul 5, 13 1:26 PM
I finished the game and liked the little old man, in fact seeing him kept me going to the end. The end was not very good with the confession.

However the additional game is the pits, dumb hard to follow hints and guide. So I am going to move on to something else. For the most parts the end of game additions are not as good as the game but this is the worse.

Also I did not like killing other soldiers for really no reason!

caseypup
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by caseypup on Jul 6, 13 7:22 AM
I thought this game was very short and all in all, quite disappointing....just finished it.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Jul 7, 13 11:59 AM
Based on completed main game:

This is a typical "new" ERS game in which something has been added (the Garden). I did not buy CEs from ERS before and I may go back to not buying them again because this "Garden" has absolutely nothing to do with the game, is not a garden but a greenhouse, and is nothing to look at or interesting except for showing the achievements the player has accomplished. Planting and selling flowers? What is the point? Nothing.

Other than that, this is a good long game with very good graphics, good voice-overs, a good storyline (although some of it is confusing), and the usual very abrupt ending.

There are rings and plants to find. The rings are important and don't have sparkles associated with them. You have to find all the rings in order to complete the game. I didn't so I had to go back and forth trying to find one. I did find the one I was missing. There is nothing in the SG which shows the locations of the rings so you're on your own.

The plants? Irrelevant IMHO. I am quite disappointed by the "Garden".

This game has the evil dwarf once again but this time he actually engages in some dialogue with the protagonist (player). There are some very close close-ups of him and for the first time I noticed his outfit. It's kinda interesting. His outfit, his expressions (he actually smiles before the game starts), his dialogue make him a more developed character. Is he really completely evil? He claims to be innocent of the murder. Is he? You will know before the end of the game. Is there some good in him? There are hints at some good and I wonder if this will be explored in more detail in other games. I am interested in him and would like to know his story.

I won't purchase a CE unless there are achievements and preferably morphing objects. Things like wallpapers and screensavers don't usually interest me and bonus chapters are rarely worth the game costing twice as much as the SE. ERS does not produce games with morphing objects and the achievements in their games are disappointing compared with other devs who produce games in which the player can achieve things like finding three hidden objects in three seconds or without using the Hint button or completing five puzzles in a row without skipping. ERS achievements result in the Hint button recharging faster - as I don't use it I don't care.

ERS is doing some things well. But there is room for improvement.

Happy gaming, fishies!!

Cherry

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Jul 7, 13 12:08 PM
Addendum: One of the puzzles in this game has figures that are so small they are unrecognizable. What I thought must be cotton candy turned out to be a cocoon and what I thought was some sort of deformed dead, upside-down ant was a caterpillar. A robot head was a portrait and what looked like dynamite was logs. I couldn't make any sense out of several other figures.

The SG was no help as the figures were even smaller. I almost had to get a magnifying glass to be able to see the pictures in the SG. And this is the type of puzzle I enjoy and can solve. Unfortunately I could not solve this one and that makes me a bit angry. I noticed this same problem in the last ERS game I played.

I read the reviews and I know that many players have older eyes and have problems with tiny figures. Please, ERS, don't put them at a disadvantage!!

I also noted that Inventory items have to be put exactly in one tiny space in order to be used. And by tiny, I mean very, very tiny. I had to use the SG to find the place to put a scythe. I knew how to use it, I knew it was to be used there, but I didn't know where to put it. After about twenty tries and watching the item fly back down to my Inventory I finally checked the SG. I noticed this in the last ERS game I played.

This is not a good trend and I hope that ERS does something about it.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Jul 7, 13 12:13 PM
Valdy wrote:
Well for starters there was no map. Seriously? - The combination of no map, no "area complete", and no separation of areas by chapter, resulted in some back and forth to find those teeny little overlooked rings and un-played HOS.

Not sure how you could have played the whole game and not seen the map, which is at the left, and sits right above the blue Menu button. It shows you where you are, and where actions are needed. It can also be used to jump.

I didn't see it, either. It might have helped me in the game. Oh well, live and learn.

[Post New]by jenny_grant on Jul 8, 13 11:04 PM
This game is fantastic! Great graphics, great storyline! The objects are not hard to find. I was surprised that I didn't need the walkthrough to get through most of the game. I was figuring stuff out on my own, I couldn't believe it haha! I have one complaint, though, I couldn't slept for two days because the game was so good!! LOL

s_sgs
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by s_sgs on Jul 10, 13 11:52 AM
Valdy wrote:

Well that certainly makes more sense. I have a super power in the ability to overlook the obvious. (Too bad we don't get to pick our super powers in this life...)

That said I find the map to be most fabulous, but I'm not budging on the Greenhouse as an out of place and useless distraction.

[Post New]by oldgramps56 on Jul 11, 13 7:04 PM
Enjoyed the game up until the end when I discovered that I didn't have all the rings. I've been through the locations twice and can't find it. I would have felt the game was better if the guide had a listing of where the rings are located. That way I could at least finish the game and play the bonus chapter.
The lack of this help has seriously dampened my enjoyment of the game.
Aside from this the graphics and overall game play was fine except for the garden. I found no use for this feature and stayed away from it.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Jul 27, 13 12:06 PM
Absolutely an excellent game. Once the game is finished, you can go back and replay mini games and HO Scenes. That is a nice feature; wish more Developers did that.

Growing flowers was something different to do. It really didn't add the game. You can continue to grow flowers until you get tired of it.

For those of you that purchase the SE game, you get a good ending. The CE version allows you to go after the "little man" more. I won't say whether or not you catch him.

I really appreciated the fact that I did NOT have to deal with "body parts" or more than one dead body. This game was tastefully done.

nards1975
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by nards1975 on Aug 9, 13 9:26 PM
Based on the Collectors Edition, I thought this game was quite fun. Also the little dwarf guy was a cute touch. He's very naughty. But anyway I loved the graphics of this one as well. I have played the previous Headless Horseman one also.

I am not sure however what the Garden component has to do with the game and so I didn't play it. Maybe someone else can explain?

All in all nil complaints from me and I would certainly recommend this game.

[Post New]by stephanie2669 on Nov 5, 13 12:30 PM
The puzzles in the game weren't very challenging. I thought this was done so poorly compared to the others in the series....all of the bad spelling and misuse of words, it was as if school aged children put this one together...I'd ask for a refund if I could..better luck with the next one HL!

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Nov 20, 13 8:02 PM
I've always been a big fan of ERS Games, but have found their offerings lately to be a bit on the week side. There are some new gimmicks, in this one we get to have a flower garden and the animation & voice overs are good. They always do a good job with the artwork and I'm glad they don't seem to making any new games with live actors anymore, I just didn't think they fit in well. Unfortunately if you are a fan of horror games it seems like they are a lot less creepy now--perhaps they have been toned down because of complaints. My favorite game in this series is The Queen of Spades which was grim and very scary. I don't understand what the dwarf is or what it is supposed to be--if they are going to continue this series I hope we can get some more back story about that.

One thing I can say of these games of late is that if you don't buy the CE you won't get a complete story--which is unfortunate. In the back the main game had a distinct ending and the bonus chapters were usually something in addition to the theme but not the end of the storyline--sometimes it would just be an elaborate teaser for the next game in the series--but be warned if like the demo and want to play the game get the CE for a more conclusive ending.

If I were to rate this game I'd give it 3 stars out of 5. It's fun and worth playing but by now means as good as some of ERS Games other titles.

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Oct 12, 14 12:16 PM
Only one regret ... I usually buy CE's for the bonus content... and this bonus was terrible I think I played 15 minutes and it was done... not worth the extra money. . and I didn't like how it ended.. again.. up in the air... so SG will be back

Edited on 10/12/2014 at 12:17:30 PM PST

Go to: