Re:Sharing some tips for the game.

[Post New]by zitronenfalter12 on Nov 25, 13 10:35 AM
And for an overview of the complete game: Check out our great new wiki:
http://rooms-of-memory.wikia.com/wiki

It started on November 2013 so depending on the date you read this: there could be many blank spaces left to be filled with info.

You are invited to enter your knowledge there!

Ellei4997
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by Ellei4997 on Dec 5, 13 3:44 PM
Thanks ! Great tips...

How to put battle potions into/from battle backpack to chest

[Post New]by zitronenfalter12 on Dec 11, 13 9:15 PM
EweJoy just told us How to put battle potions into/from battle backpack to chest (and vice versa):
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/264418.page

rcswifto
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by rcswifto on Dec 14, 13 7:57 PM
A tip for helping neighbors' creatures: unless you have a lot of resources, just help the Mountain Giant (thorium ore), the Transvaal Lion (flint), the Queen of Spades (gold mask), and the Hunchback (red button). They each give you 100 coins.

The Unicorn, the Dryad, and the Tree grudgingly give hearts to open the Hobbit Hut. They require refreshing dew and you will very soon have enough dew to drown in, so go ahead and help all 3 of these.

Don't buy items in the store to feed neighbors' creatures. You would spend 10,000 coins for 10 items which would only return 1,000 coins and the creatures are too stingy in giving out dragon food and needed items to make it worthwhile. It's better to be patient and just use what you collect while searching rooms.

The toughest items for me to get were the linen jutes to build and open the Mill. These require flints to help the Lion, the Lumberjack and the Scarecrow. You can't put the flints directly on your Wish List, but you can ask for them on the forum. Again, concentrate on helping the Lion first, then the Lumberjack, and then the Scarecrow if you have enough flints.

I'm sorry, I'm not very concise. Does this make sense to anyone else?

tinebrella
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by tinebrella on Dec 19, 13 4:09 AM
Hello everyone!
I was finally able to create a username (thanks to the Customer Support) and now that I can take part in the forum I thought I'd started by thanking you all for this awesome thread and by sharing some tips of my own.

1. Wishlists
Wishlists are probably the most powerful and helpful tool available in the game and it's important to use it wisely, especially for those who are not willing to pay real money to buy gems.
- Always keep at least one free item. Not only you'll give a chance to lower level players to send you a gift, but you'll also stock up on Charges (the majority of which you can only get by helping creatures). Even the most common ones will run out soon enough if you build Artifacts that require 5 Charges and keeping a steady flow by putting them on your wishlist helps a lot.
- If you want to boost your xp gaining opt for White Noise items. They're easy to come by (we all have to get rid of ghosts) and you will often find Neighbours willing to gift them. Moreover, in most cases it's better to have a 100% boost for 30 minutes than a 50% boost (Good Luck Talisman and Helium Reptile) or a 30% boost (Illusionist's Sphere and Optical Reflector) for 60 minutes because you will likely run out of energy sooner and won't make the best of it. (Not to mention how hard it is to find some of the items required to build them)
- If you want to boost your chance to find objects, opt for Wish Master items. Again, easier to come by, more likely to be gifted. In this case, the Denial of Gravity and the Neural Foil are better (both give a 60% boost over the 50% of the Wish Master) but some of the items you need to build them are so rare very few Neighbours will be willing to gift them.
- Don't fill your wishlist with items needed to build the Fire Ball, the Reactive Glass or the Lever Lock (or very rare items in general). You will likely get nothing at all and you're missing out chances to get something useful day after day.
-Ask for Nautilus Pallium and Poseidon's Trident items when you're missing only one or two of them. Don't overdo it (meaning: don't ask for those items massively or constantly) but don't miss a chance to gain 675 and 750 xp points every now and then. Plus, it's often a fruitful trade: someone will have too many Octopus Eggs, while somebody else will have to many Pearl Shells and meeting in the middle means more xp points for everyone.

[more to come]

tinebrella
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by tinebrella on Dec 19, 13 5:52 AM
2. How to spend your coins
Sadly, that's not much you can do with your coins since most of the valuable items can only be bought with gems - which are way harder to harvest - but in some cases they can still make a difference.
- Strong Energy Talisman. As it's been said, it only costs 4000 coins and it restores your energy faster for 12 hours. I usually buy one in the morning and one before going to bed so that I have the whole 24 hours covered.
- Maya Runes. I usually buy the Medium and Large Kits for Beginners (6000 and 9000 coins respectively). What makes it so worthy is that you're basically paying coins to get gems, Energy Sources, Silver and Gold Terra Cards and items to build several Artifacts which give you an average of 200 xp points each. Not to mention the Refreshing Dews, the items required to visit different locations and the occasional gems & energy boosts scattered around the maze. If you don't refresh the maze before the five hours and you do it five times, you end up with a total gain of 25 gems, plus a 225 gems worthy loot (50 Gold and 50 Silver Terra Cards, 5 Sodas and 5 Energy Jams).
- Paranormal Traps & Genie's Dwellings. That is, the items you use to get rid of ghosts and genies at your friends' places. They're a bit pricey (10000 and 15000 coins respectively) but in my opinion, worth it. You have a chance to get Dragon Food for coins instead of gems and I noticed both ghosts and genies happen to drop Azure Grapes, every now and then. Plus, sometimes they drop Gleaming Almanac items, and that's an Artifact that gives 675 xp points.
- Golden Masks. Pirates, Harlequins and Queens of Spades are the only creatures on your friends' maps that have exclusively Dragon Food to drop. They won't always drop it, of course, but this is yet again one of the few chances you have to (indirectly) buy Dragon Food with coins instead of gems.

[Is the character limit particularly strict or am I terribly long-winded?]

tinebrella
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by tinebrella on Dec 19, 13 6:28 AM
3. Miscellaneous
- The items you have to find in the Valley of Magicians cost 15 gems and more often than not you will need to visit 4 or 5 different areas to collect everything you need for a single Artifact. Don't spend more than 15 gems to feed a Dragon, buy the item and move on. You will not likely need that area for the next 4-5 items anyway.
- When using one of the Talismans that increase the chances of finding objects, try to save at least 10 minutes to play in the Cellar and do all of the 6 modes at least once. You will find some of the rare items you need for the most helpful Talismans: Secret Flame (Fire Ball component), Illusionist's Wand (Illusionist's Sphere component), Meditation Sphere (Denial of Gravity component), Box of Secrets (Good Luck Talisman component), Cup of Whirls (Reactive Glass component), Meteorite Ice (Helium Reptile component).
- If you want to make the best of the xp and coins Talismans, use them in the areas of the Valley of Magicians. Even at Beginner/Student level they give you way more xp points and coins than all the other places, and with less energy required to visit them. You don't even need to open the most pricey areas, the Magic Gates will do just fine.

And that's all, I guess? Hope it'll be useful!

GamerCouple
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by GamerCouple on Jan 25, 14 7:38 PM
Things I wish I'd known:

* Save those full-restoration jams for later. In the beginning they seem so seductive to use but you only have like 200-300 energy? Don't do it. Save those for when you have like 600-1000 energy and especially save them for quests.

* I bashed my brains out on quests until I realized I should just wait to do them till I had a lot of energy or energy jams.

* Once you hit about 80 neighbors, you're going to get like 300-500xp for visiting them and doing your rounds, so save visits till the end of your play session if you're close to leveling--they'll give you that little "bump" you need. Don't diss sleeping neighbors--they give you energy points, which is really nice. Don't skip visiting your neighbors. Also, keep a good supply of Silicon Flints on hand--don't miss those creatures.

* You can get 5 gems every 5 hours for doing the Rune puzzle, if you have a full supply of tiles, plus nice exp.

* IMPORTANT: You know those quests that ask you to dispel ghosts from rooms? I burned who even knows how much energy on them trying to do them often enough to generate a ghost, till I realized that "change mode" lets you summon ghosts too! From the explore start window, click "Change Mode," then hit the "With Ghosts" tab. You'll need cards to do it, of course, but if you're doing rune quests, that shouldn't be hard. (Also, save your cards for those important occasions--don't just use them to get out of irritating ghosts.)

* Get friendly with your cards and learn how to use them. Best time to use the change mode cards? Right after you've done a target room. For example, if you're trying to search a room in reversed mode, and you do it and don't get the object you want, immediately use the cards to try to "skip" modes to get back to reversed mode. Don't do it halfway through a cycle of modes (like in day mode, in this case); do it right after failing to find the object in the mode you need. No matter what card you get, it'll get you closer to your desired mode.

* Start feeding dragons before you go to bed.

* Your exp boosting relics are your friend. Don't waste them. White Noise is especially awesome; start it when you have enough energy to play for 30 minutes so you can maximize exp.

zsautner
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by zsautner on Jan 29, 14 9:35 AM
There are a lot of great tips here and one thing I've found is...

*Log out of the game and back in before gifting your neighbors or refresh the screen. This way you have a choice of the most recent items on their wish list. This will also help you if your neighbor does the same - you will always get the most needed item and not one you already received.

If you play the standalone game - you will need to logout or shutdown the game and log back in.

If you play in a web browser, you can refresh the screen.

Edited on 02/13/2014 at 6:51:35 AM PST

[Post New]by zitronenfalter12 on Feb 1, 14 12:06 AM
The refreshing of the wishlists also work if you do it like me

I visit and gift immediately after that. The visit refreshes the wishlist too...

lsmalplz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by lsmalplz on Feb 8, 14 12:41 PM
achumannfaery wrote:There are four different chests available for expeditions.

1) Reward for organization-- automatically goes to the person "hosting" the expedition

2) Award for Generosity-- goes to the most generous participant

3) Award for Good luck-- goes to the last to feed the dragon

4) Award for participation-- Goes to the top 10 participants

Only 20 participants per expedition. Can be located under the organizer. You should see a X/20, X representing how many current participants are in the expedition. You only become a participant after once feeding the dragon.

The controversy lies in the following examples:

1. Say you open a 6000 satiety dragon and feed it 3005 of food. You automatically get three of the chests. Others may not want to help as there will not be any reward for them.

2) You contribute a 5 or 15 to an expedition requiring 20,000 or more to satisfy the dragon. When three people do that, only seventeen spots are available requiring the others to bear a significant burden helping that neighbor.

Suggestions:

Start your expedition, feed your dragon 12-15% but leave some of your available feedings open in case you have to close it out yourself. This shows you are serious about your expedition without "hogging" all of the riches. It will more likely receive help.

Monitor your expedition. If time is drawing near, submit a "help feed my dragon" post. It's helpful if your name is in the title so your neighbors see you right away instead of digging through the posts.

Monitor who is contributing and how much. When it's their expedition, be sure to repay them in kind.

Finish feeding your dragon if necessary.

Marjasinstar
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,947 Posts

[Post New]by Marjasinstar on Feb 10, 14 8:43 PM
Fabulous tips. I wish I had read these first. Before I made so many mistakes while playing this game.

Three of my own:

1. Think of the unassembled Collected Artifacts as money in the bank. If you are low on energy and really need it (like for the weekly quest), you just might be able to level up by assembling enough artifacts to boost you to another level and that resets your energy to full capacity. Same if you are low on gold. Assemble something. And make sure to put those needed free items on your wishlist, so they are on hand when you find that you need to assemble an artifact.

2. Watch your experience points. If you are close to leveling up, be careful about going to the dragons (even the trees), visiting neighbors, or accepting a completed task. You might think it great that you got a new level, but you lost whatever energy you had at that lower level. So you want to always try to be down to zero energy before leveling up. You can do a task and let it sit there unaccepted on the left hand side of the screen until you are ready to accept it. Argh. I have lost a lot of energy by not keeping an eye on my experience.

3. Don't click on any box that pops up in the middle of the screen saying Assemble until you make sure there is no task associated with it. Or you might have to do the whole thing all over again. Sometimes you have to click on the task and accept the reward first before assembling the item or you don't get credit for it. I learned that the hard way with a weekly challenge a few weeks ago.

And two things already mentioned to reemphasize.

1. Be good to your neighbors and most of them will be good in return. Make the time to send gifts. Those that don't have anything on their wishlist can be sent items at the end of your visit to your neighbors. Multiple gifts all at once. Saves so much time. Silicon flints and the titanium ore are fantastic gifts to receive. So are peacock feathers and cowberries for those requesting them. And grain is invaluable for anyone who is in the process of building their Water Mill.

2. Play the plain (non dragon) runes every day.The 5 hour clock starts as soon as you click on the runes so go there as soon as you start the game each day. The chest on the top left is the best--gems, tarra cards, tons of energy. The bottom left one gives you the flowers needed for the Gazebo of Mysteries. The top right gives you peacock feathers. Trust me, it is worth the gold you spend on those runes.

Marjasinstar
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,947 Posts

[Post New]by Marjasinstar on Feb 10, 14 8:54 PM
Oh, one more thing. I refresh the game frequently to see if any of my neighbors have requests to feed dragons or expeditions. You get lots of points by helping your neighbors. You don't have to log out. Just hit the arrow on the right side of the address bar to reload the game.

missmoose
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by missmoose on Mar 9, 14 12:32 AM
A small chart to help calculating minimum amount of food necessary for each dragon when joining an expedition:

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/273751.page

Edited on 04/21/2014 at 9:53:52 AM PST

RM2008
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by RM2008 on Mar 17, 14 12:28 AM
Could somebody help me, just started the game not to long ago, and I just got the portal for France, but it wants me to use a Key, I have very little money, is there another way to get a key? I go in everyday and since I have very little energy I do a couple of HOS, visit and gift neighbors, and that is about it, not sure on the other tasks, it seems I always run out of energy and don't have much diamonds either, I did have to use some money to buy hints, since some of the items are so little and hard to find. Any advise would be great.
Many thanks RM 2008

Marjasinstar
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,947 Posts

[Post New]by Marjasinstar on Mar 17, 14 6:38 PM
RM2008 wrote:Could somebody help me, just started the game not to long ago, and I just got the portal for France, but it wants me to use a Key, I have very little money, is there another way to get a key? I go in everyday and since I have very little energy I do a couple of HOS, visit and gift neighbors, and that is about it, not sure on the other tasks, it seems I always run out of energy and don't have much diamonds either, I did have to use some money to buy hints, since some of the items are so little and hard to find. Any advise would be great.
Many thanks RM 2008

The only way I know to get the key is to use gold to pay for it. Don't feel you have to open Paris right away. Do some of the other tasks on the screen until you have collected enough gold to open Paris.

Regarding your lack of energy and gold, do you have any "collected" artifacts? They are shown at the bottom of the Artifacts tab. You can assemble those to level up your experience to the next level, which completely restores your energy and gives you more gold. Also many of them are good for giving you extra gold, like the Gleaming Almanac and the Poseiden's Trident. I think of my collected artifacts as cash in the bank. If you have any that aren't "collected," missing a piece or two, put the needed pieces and/or charges on your wishlist. Lots of higher level players have tons of extra pieces that they gladly give to good neighbors. I know I do. Also, higher level players get tons of stones from going through the runes. So put them on your wishlist and use them to assemble things like the Voodoo Mask and Voodoo Breachcloth for gold and experience points.

Also, make sure you have a lot of neighbors. If you don't, then post your code here on the forums. The more neighbors you have, the more gold and energy you get every day from visiting them and the more likely one of them will give you things you need from your wishlist.

Finally, do the runes (the non dragon runes) as often as you can. The three treasure chests give out gems, energy sources like soda and energy jam, and experience.

EDIT: I just looked at some of the posts above. Be sure to read Tinebrella's posts a little above this one. She gives valuable info on gaining experience. Especially the part about the Strong Energy Talisman. It only costs 4000 in gold and restores your energy 40% faster for 12 hours. Like her, I buy one in the morning, then another before I go to bed, so I get 40% faster energy 24 hours a day.

Edited on 03/17/2014 at 7:27:34 PM PST

GamerCouple
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by GamerCouple on Mar 20, 14 8:58 PM
I feel like such a doofus for just recently figuring this out, but maybe it will help somebody else.

You know those creatures you feed at your neighbors' estates? They drop a lot of interesting stuff sometimes, but especially they drop food for expeditions. If you have the ingame cash to afford it, buy a good supply of red buttons, gold masks, flints, and that thorium ore stuff to feed those creatures, and the ghost-banishing things too. They just cost ingame cash, and they're pretty cheap compared to buying grapes with gems! Feed all the ones you possibly can so you can get more of those high-value foods for your expeditions later.

But if you feed no other creatures, always, always feed every single lion/lumberjack/scarecrow you can. Buy flints if you must, even if it pinches your wallet a little. That's about the only way to get wheat, and you need that for your watermill later. Even if you're in a hurry, always visit your neighbors to get those wheats (and berries, from dryads/unicorns/trees!).

You can buy a talisman for 4k coins that replenishes energy 40% faster. Keep one active as often as you can. No sense not doing it if you can possibly afford it.

Marjasinstar
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,947 Posts

[Post New]by Marjasinstar on Apr 7, 14 5:43 PM
The wikia is the bible to this game. I suggest to every new player that when you run out of energy, go to the link below and read up on the game. Our dear friend Zitronenfalter12 and friends created it. It is invaluable to anyone playing this game.

http://rooms-of-memory.wikia.com/wiki/Tipps

Clashfan78
Clownfish
Clownfish
695 Posts

[Post New]by Clashfan78 on Apr 12, 14 10:16 PM
So many fabulous tips here and in the Wiki! The one thing I've learned in my very brief time playing is the single best use of your gems is to buy the VIP upgrade. It's really a bargain at 25 gems for 7 days, the energy boost only would be worth it to me. When I discovered that if you couple it with the talisman that you can buy for 4K and it gives an 80% boost I almost danced.

I'm assuming the same is true for the talismans for gold and experience as well.

All in all a bargain certainly for newbies just trying to play as much as possible to gain experience.

Zsautner: how right you are but at this point 70 crystals seems almost unobtainable to me. Certainly something to save up for though.

Edited on 04/13/2014 at 8:52:13 PM PST

zsautner
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by zsautner on Apr 13, 14 11:29 AM
Clash is right about getting the VIP account, but the 30 day upgrade is a better value at 70 crystals. If you did it weekly at 25 crystals a pop, you will have spent a total of 100 crystals after 30 days. The monthly upgrade saves you 30 crystals.

Go to: