lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fairy Tale Mysteries: The Beanstalk CE

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Oct 21, 13 4:12 PM
Of Coz give this quality its a CE, all the bells as whistles as usual, suspects include great graphics, interactive map, interactive HOG (finding parts of objects), collectibles, wallpapers

BUY IT

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Oct 22, 13 2:41 AM

I have to admit I was a little hesitant when trying this game. Gogii are a hit and miss developer, and I didn't like the first Fairy Tale Mysteries, and I wasn't too sure how doing a game based on Jack and the Beanstalk would go, but I really liked it!

I'll start off by saying the story really wasn't interesting. Nothing excited me at all. It just seemed a bit childish. The only thing that was slightly interesting for me was the intro, which promised a fresh take on this. Apart from that, nothing took my fancy. There were no twists in the demo and everything went the way I expected. The only positive to this story was that it had clear progression.

While I didn't like the story, I have to say the gameplay was awesome! Gogii have a habit of creating fun gameplay, and they've done it again in this one. The gameplay is quite unusual, but wonderful. You are given are task, and there are items to find to complete that task. The way the game presents it, it's sort of a mini-HOS! The game doesn't make this straightfoward, though, as some items are locked and you must find other items first in order to get that item. This was very fun and kept me entertained for the whole demo!
The HOS and Puzzles were great, too. They were very fun, but very easy, too. The HOS included extra step objects, which is unusual for this developer, but a welcome change.
The puzzles were extremely easy. I had to skip only one. This is great for me, as someone who normally can't complete puzzles, but I know for sure that other players will slam this, as they like a bit of a challenge.
Apart from that, this is your standard HOPA. There's a hint, map and a diary, and the controls are fairly similar. If I had to say one thing that was bad about the gameplay, I'd say that there should have been a few more HOS, but that's just my personal preference.
My problem with buying the CE is that there is literally nothing to make me want to purchase it. There's the usual Bonus Content, like wallpapers, concept art, strategy guide and bonus chapter, but the only other thing is collectibles, and they aren't my favourite thing. I would have liked to have seen some achievements.

The graphics are satisfactory. They were clear and had some great colourful detail in the scenes. They aren't the best graphics I've seen, but they aren't the worst.
The voice-overs are a mixture of British and American, which annoys me slightly. I would've preferred either all American or all British.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Oct 22, 13 2:43 AM
(continuing in a second post)

FEATURES
3 modes of difficulty. Casual, Advanced and Custom. Differences are hint and skip recharge times and sparkles (glints). Custom allows you to change these three to your liking. I played Casual.
Hint and Skip- both recharge fairly quickly for Casual, and the hint is useful outside HOS. My one problem with it is that it's hard to see sometimes.
Diary. Not used very often. Does not sparkle when new information is added.
Map. The map lets you know where there are tasks to complete and is interactive.

CE EXCLUSIVES
Strategy Guide- Helpful for those who need solutions to puzzles or get stuck. The puzzle solutions give step by step instructions.
Collectible eggs- I'm pretty sure there are 40. They're relatively easy to spot.
Bonus Chapter- not sure if this is needed, as I only played the demo.
Concept Art
Wallpapers
Music (listen to the game music)
Movies (listen to game movies)

I have to say, get the SE. It's the much better buy in this case, as the CE offers nothing except for a Bonus Chapter and Collectibles (unless you like wallpapers and concept art). This is a game that I love not for the story, but for the gameplay. This is a great game to pass the time, or one to fill up that last space on a punchcard. I can't wait for the SE to come out, so I can buy this gem.
The CE gets 3 stars as I don't find it worth the extra price, but don't let my rating put you off, this awesome!

(I recommend this game!)

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Oct 26, 13 9:53 AM
I just finished this game and agree with the previous posts. This is a very strange game. It seems very awkward to have to find the task before you can pick up obvious objects you need for it. This created a lot of back and forth to get things you couldn't pick up before you found the task. I liked the bonus chapter much better than the game. It played more normally.

It's probably not a game I will enjoy a second time.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Oct 26, 13 6:52 PM
was fun to play, couldn't find all the eggs so that part I didn't care for.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Oct 27, 13 12:07 PM
I got this CE on sale, so am satisfied with the purchase, while this wasn't one of those games that blew my socks off, with excitement, like some recent games I've played, it did have some interesting game play, that I enjoyed.

It sounds like a lot of fishie's found the tab style of game play, in the inventory a bit confusing, but I liked this different way, of playing the game, checking each tab, for an item needed .
So for myself, that was a breath of fresh air, and a welcomed change, which made you think, instead of being the normal, run of the mill game style.
I did BETA test this one, and was very happy they fixed the isssue I had with the room next to the kitchen, being pixilated, when I tried to enter it.
I must say though, the game was totally different, from what I had remembered playing in the BETA, but I still enjoyed playing this one, and am sad to see so many negative reviews, based on being confused about how to use the tab style, inventory buttons.
I think if you give it a chance, you can figure it out, and than the game play becomes second hand, just like any other H0 game, and is very enjoyable.

I liked the frog items, along with the regular items, gives some variety, and finding the eggs was also fun, and sometimes a challenge, they did a good job hiding them.
It does get a little tedious at times, with all of the back and fourth, but that is what the map is for, problem solved.
I don't think this game will win any awards, but for what is was, I enjoyed playing it, and am not sorry I purchased it .

Go to: