Re:Reviews for Haunted Halls: Nightmare Dwellers Collector's Edition

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Dec 7, 13 1:24 PM
Bonus Content Review

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

BONUS CHAPTER

It was okay. Not as long as the admittedly over-long main game, and the story is not as developed as I’d like, but not boring. The story is an (unneeded) epilogue that leads straight from the main one. It is very unoriginal, its premise based entirely on another game we all know, and it does only a superficial version of it. Nowhere near as creepy as the plot deserved. But, maybe, a little touch of humour in it, which I may be imagining, or may be the justification for plagiarising that other game, because it could be a send up of it.Some of the locations are new, but not all. All the puzzles and HOPs were new, but nothing outstanding.

STRATEGY GUIDE

GALLERY

Wallpapers, glorified screenshots x8
Concept art x10 (some of these would make good wallpapers, and they are saveable)
Screen savers x3
Movies x7
Music x4
Replayable puzzles x 18
Replayable HOPs x 11

ACHIEVEMENTS

Approximately 20,nothing totally unpredictable, but a beautiful dreamland of their own to present them in.

COLLECTIONS

I am really beginning to dislike these sort. You collect vials of potion, which is to my mind not nearly as much fun as finding frogs or butterflies. On top of that, they are used to allegedly alter the mood of your hamster (wait a minute, I’ll get to him!). As far as I could see, it made very little difference and was totally pointless anyway. And you have nuts you can just feed him, why would you want to dose him with essence of anger?

HAMSTER
He’s sweet enough, this unfortunate dealer (aka merchant) became the victim of much reviling because ERS’s translator didn’t specify what he deals in, and so everyone jumped on the idea that it must be illegal substances. Really, there are very few countries so unfortunate that the populace would jump to such conclusions! It never even occurred to me.

ZOO
Another seemingly pointless extra, although I usually do like these sort of things. But there’s just not much to this one.

CONCLUSION
It rates slightly better than okay, because the bonus game, though superficial story-wise, still was a good play, and I like replayable HOPs.

lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by lovemybook on Jan 11, 14 11:54 AM
One of the best games I've ever played. It had everything I like - just a touch of spooky without being dirty and dark, interesting puzzles, interactive HOs, unusual solutions, a not too convoluted map, a good length, and last but not least, the ability to turn off the most hated CLICKING PENALTY! I hate them! (Sorry).

I've loved all the haunted halls, it's my favorite series I think. Bravo, developers.

education69
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by education69 on Feb 16, 14 5:10 AM
Interesting game, unfortunately my file was corrupted somehow just as I got close to the end and I had to start over again. I will try again 3 times and see what happens.
Try 1/3

education69
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by education69 on Feb 21, 14 7:03 PM
corrupted again 2/3

education69
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by education69 on Mar 24, 14 11:43 AM
Finally finished the game without a hitch. Very interesting. Liked it a lot. Interesting story of how Dr. Blackmore got his tentacles.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on May 16, 14 12:14 AM
Now a days, when I see bunny ears, I just sigh. I could not for the life of me, get into this game. If the glasses didn't bug the heck out of me, then the seemingly going back and forth certainly did. I did not care for the graphics, I did not care for the big eyeball popping up when you could focus in on something, and I certainly did not care about the Hamster, or whatever he was. Achievements, collectibles, etc. seemed like a joke. Sorry but I have been playing some really awesome games lately and this one did not and could not even rate.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Jul 15, 14 9:18 PM
OK; enough is enough. I am no longer going to buy CEs from this dev and I am going to demo each one before buying. I was under the impression that this was a creepy game. I played the first one in the series when I was almost brand new and I loved it (although I had no idea what I was supposed to do).

Now it's like the bunny has left earth and is cavorting out beyond (waaaaaay beyond) the Twilight Zone. Please, no more cute critters. It was fun at first. It isn't fun anymore. Please stop with the needless achievements. You are killing it.

I ended up setting the Hint and Skip to five seconds and using them as quickly as I could just to get through the game. It was not fun. It was a chore but I bought it and so I "played" it.

Please? Get back to creepy?

Go to: