Rumbitothecore
Shark
Shark
13,560 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files: Fates Carnival Collectors Edition

[Post New]by Rumbitothecore on Nov 29, 13 4:51 AM
Based on the full game played in Monstrously Tough mode

Well done Elephant you've done a fantastic job

The main game is really long (for those who think it's short, perhaps you are playing in a mode which is too easy for you. Try changing to a more difficult mode without hints, skips and sparkles) The bonus chapter is long too.... which makes up a little for the 15 minute so called bonus chapter from Silver Lake we were given last year. The main game ends satisfactorily and doesn't need the bonus game. However at the end of the bonus game, Madame Fate gives a final prophesy... a hint to the next game??

I love the fact that the note book is a proper note book giving clues to solving puzzles outside the book, as apposed to giving a rehash of what a character said or did. It also contains collectibles, puzzles, the storyline of the Dalimars and is a portal to new locations.

The puzzles are all doable and usually have a clue hidden in plain sight (or in the notebook). I adore the complex door puzzles and there are plenty of them throughout the main and bonus games. I was delighted to find that there was no proliferation of HO scenes towards the end of the game .... other developers take note - putting the best puzzles in the first hour and then filling the rest of the game with HO after HO makes me feel like I've been ripped off!! and stops me buying your games

I have to admit my heart dropped when I saw a "My Little Helper". However the cat is not used that much and there is no need to shop for it to get an achievement, so it is just an extra for the folk who like that sort of thing.

The credits are just the usual bog-standard credits... disappointing as I was sat with my finger hovering over screen print waiting for that devious coded message which never appeared

I can't wait to see what the Spirits of Blackpool F2P game is like. Though F2P isn't everyone's cup of tea.... I like them

ivillagegrinch
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by ivillagegrinch on Nov 29, 13 7:26 AM
FINALLY! This will not wipe out the disaster that last year's MCF was, but it's returned to what our family had enjoyed for a long time, and the snarky factor is BACK!!!

Because of last year, I did not buy this game outright without demoing it, but Fate's Carnival is worth the CE status. It takes forever to complete, has lots of collectibles, and the puzzles are difficult without being so challenging, you want to toss your computer out the window.

Great game, Big Fish and Elephant!

[Post New]by mostly_nameless on Nov 29, 13 3:55 PM
I'm not sure what to say. I was so worried that we would have another Shadow Lake style disaster, but the series has gone back to its roots...having fun! By normal game standards I would give it a 9.5 out of 10. By MCF standards, maybe 8.75 out of 10.

The main game had a lot of MCF heart, and some of those legendary MCF style puzzles. (Some made more sense than others, but that's traditional.)

I wish the overall objective of the game would've been a little clearer (Was I supposed to be rescuing all of the carnies or just the good carnies? Why didn't they all get to "escape"? Shouldn't we have been trying to get the ball back? Who whacked everybody---Charles or Alister? Why?) I think MCF usually does a better job of story focus, but it was still fun.

I loved Isis even though "helpers" usually get on my nerves.

I missed a card somewhere. Rats! Was there a Hidden Object scene that had two?

I did need the strategy guide because there were a couple of non-sequiturs in there (I still don't understand the bowl thing.)

But, it was a lovely, long, fun game.

The bonus game was another story. It was a quite ordinary trotter where you trot from place to place doing semi pointless things. And the going into and out of the "book" just seemed odd, sort of like there were a couple of leftover scenes so they decided to use them, even though the locations didn't exist in the game world. I didn't enjoy the bonus game nearly as much. I would only give it a 6.5 out of 10. It didn't seem to have much MCF flavor at all. But the main game was so long that I think it would stand without the Bonus.

Here's looking forward to the next one!

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Nov 29, 13 4:28 PM
What can I add in review, that others have not already stated? Nothing, except this is a purchase from me, for sure. Love this series... always a great job done!

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Nov 29, 13 10:04 PM
Finally finished the game in Monstrously Tough mode, including bonus game, secret room and solitaire.

Home run, Elephant Games! Home run! FINALLY, an MCF game that actually feels like an MCF game instead of an excuse to show off the latest tech and waste money on bad actors. This is 'back to basics' in the best way imaginable. The snark is back, there's an actual story, there's collectibles and achievements, a real SG instead of the horrid "smart guide" and DOOR PUZZLES! I knew I was right to have hopes that EG would achieve what BFG could not, and I was right.

Only drawback - animal helper. EG is usually better about this aspect of games than other devs, so I didn't mind it too much, but the Master Detective does NOT need an animal helper. Please consider either leaving this out in future games, or making it an optional feature.

As for length - This game easily took me a day to play - and I do mean a day, as in at least ten hours if not more from start to finish. That's without skipping or using hints and only occasionally consulting the SG. This is one of the few CEs that's actually worth the extra money.

Edited on 11/29/2013 at 10:05:19 PM PST

deebers2u
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by deebers2u on Nov 30, 13 2:12 AM
Not a bad game, but definitely not up to the usual MCF standards. The puzzles were difficult without being especially logical -- just a lot of guessing rather than looking for a logical progression. Almost zero story line. No excited build up in the forums. Where were the special little touches MCF is famous for? Where was the story line and the fascinating characters? I knew this one wasn't going to have much for me as soon as the black smoke materialized into a scary face that yelled, "Boo."

That said, this is probably the best game Elephant Games has produced. And I like Elephant games, I do. But even the worst MCF game was better than this. I suppose the original team has moved on. But I miss them.

Bottom line, this game is fun, but ordinary. Nothing to get excited about and wait all year for. What a loss!

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Nov 30, 13 6:26 AM
My take? Better than the first Fate game. Because in the first Fate game, you could not skip a puzzle. This meant for me I could never finish the game. I am still playing this game, but enjoying it and advancing.

[Post New]by calicotuxedocat on Nov 30, 13 7:00 AM
I guess I'm in the minority, but for me, this game most decidedly did NOT evoke the feeling of returning to the roots of MCF. I feel that BFG has distanced itself from the MCF franchise. They seem to have moved on to other things that they prefer. This latest game is a great game, but it's not MCF. It's an Elephant game, and it is more like a Mystery Trackers game than MCF. There is an ethereal, magical and haunting element to a true MCF game, and this game doesn't have it. For one thing, the exhausting and tedious back and forth is not what MCF is about. You weren't picking up "buttons" and "badges" and "crests" and "monograms" and "jewels". You were finding tools - hammers, crowbars, lighters, shovels. And you knew that you would be using them in practical and logical ways. Don't get me wrong, the Elephant team gave it their all with this game. They tried hard, and I give them credit particularly for trying to replicate the door puzzles, although I found these ones overly complicated and I couldn't figure them out without the puzzle hints. But this is not MCF. I felt, as a previous reviewer did, that this was an Elephant game, giving a mere nod to MCF characters. This was not Madame Fate's carnival, and I thought it was lacking in the humour and lightness of the original. This was the type of delightfully twisted and dark world that Elephant Games excels at. Also, I'm afraid that I found the ending very unsatisfactory for a MCF game.

If BFG really wanted to get back to the roots of MCF, they'd reassemble the team that created Return to Ravenhearst and Dire Grove. In my humble opinion, it's been downhill ever since, although I personally did enjoy 13th Skull and parts of Escape from Ravenhearst (the parts above ground, on the old Ravenhearst property). Sadly, I'm done and I won't be back, because I don't see BFG reversing direction on this issue. I'm not stomping my ruby slippers, merely expressing my sadness and regret at losing the excitement of looking forward to a new MCF release each year. The first Ravenhearst was a game I found when I was grieving the death of my sister in law. It distracted me, and I got into the habit of looking forward to each new yearly release.

Having said all of the above, I sincerely am glad that most of you enjoyed the game; I think I am just developing a resistance to change as I grow older.

nyc240
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by nyc240 on Nov 30, 13 11:47 AM
AMAZING GAME! This game is everything the original was on a whole other level. Couldn't be happier--thanks Elephant!!! Maybe we can see more of this gaming style in the future. Something more challenging than just remembering where you saw the shape that you finally found to open a box to reveal yet another shape.

And the extras are really extras--very exciting!

Chexmixmonet
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,816 Posts

[Post New]by Chexmixmonet on Nov 30, 13 2:02 PM

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Nov 30, 13 5:31 PM
I have been playing this game off and on for 4 days now, and I'd say I'm about 2/3 of the way through the main game. I love this game!!!! Wow!! The length, the puzzles, the interactive HO's, the logic necessary for the deductions, the wonder of who will survive, even the illogical steps in the puzzles are all lots of fun. I'm having a lot of fun. That cat does seem less than useful, but it is still fun to find the money needed to purchase her trinkets. This is return to the glory days of MCF and I'm so glad.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Nov 30, 13 10:14 PM
Based on the completed game.

I played on the easiest level yet I missed 3 bobbleheads,
only got 9 achievements, had to use hints on 2 of the
hidden object scenes, and had to skip 2 of the puzzles.
The game was unforgiving: you had to click right on
an object exactly where and when determned by the
developer. It was frustrating, controlling, mind boggling,
fascinating, time consuming, humbling, and sometimes
impossible. I loved every minute of it.

I usually play on the easiest level for part of a game to
see how it goes then switch to the hardest. Not this game.
I played the whole thing on easy. I'm going to replay it
on easy and see if I can get all the achievements and all
the bobbleheads.

The bonus game and the secret room game were both great.
I can't say enough good things about this game.
It was a lot of entertainment for 2 game credits.

I highly recommend it.

Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Dec 1, 13 1:00 AM
Finished the game and loved it. Not up to RTR and Dire Grove standards, not really a mystery, but as a game in itself I enjoyed it.
I found the repetitive puzzles like the 'setting the clocks' boring. After a while you just don't feel like doing it yet again. And I really hated the 2 sliding puzzles that you can't skip. Especially the last one. Because of it you skip the whole door-puzzle. I for one have 2 left hands when it comes to this kind of puzzle

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Dec 1, 13 8:40 AM
I enjoyed the game, not as good as Escape from Ravenhurst, Dire Groves, 13 Skulls. I was happy to see the new game and jumped on it. Keep plugging away MCF.

The mini-games were a bit catchy, had to use the hint a lot. Loved Isis. The teleport was really handy but a map would have been nice. The strategy guide was very helpful when needed.

Fiobo
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Fiobo on Dec 1, 13 8:56 AM
I loved this game. Have played it through once, took me two solid days (and nights) when I should have been doing other things I don't really see the point of the shop for the cat, but I might be missing something so on my second play I am collecting all of the money first, then I'll see what happens. To the poster who said a map would have been nice, there is one. You click on the case file briefcase thing in the bottom left corner, and you can see an overview of the whole thing, plus it shows what areas are complete, incomplete and where you currently are. I found that invaluable. Especially as you can teleport immediately when you can't be bothered to make your way back the slow way. I would have liked a few more hidden object areas, plus they don't change like they used to, but that's a minor quibble. Overall this is a great game and I have really enjoyed it. Well done

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Dec 1, 13 4:19 PM
MCF Rating: 9 out of 10! So much better than Shadow! Loved Marlena's "gills"!

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Dec 1, 13 4:40 PM
Just completed the game in full. Not one of my favorite MCF games. Most of the graphics were pretty clear but the slide projector on the red background really gave me fits.

The game was a little off for me. It had some really slow storyline and then it seemed to pick up to a faster pace. Hopefully on the next game from this dev. the SG will be larger. I am one who really needs the SG and had a hard time trying to figure it out on the hard areas for me.

The CE didn't seem as long as usual. Spent a lot of time with clocks over and over again. That was not my favorite part of the game for me at all.

Hope you at least give it a demo...

Happy game day.

[Post New]by mtyree on Dec 1, 13 6:21 PM
Thank you ,Thank you Big Fish. You've redeemed MCF to its former glory. The absolute best. Once again its worth waiting a whole year to play.I knew you would make up for last's years flop. No other games come close to the MCF Madam Fate, Ravenhurst series.

[Post New]by perplexed321 on Dec 1, 13 6:24 PM
What a mess. A boring tedious mess. First off, there's hardly any "hidden object" to this Hidden Object game. Mostly it's a lot of back and forth between different locations putting keys in boxes and twisting sticks to progress in the game. Bluh, boring. The graphics are terrible and overdone - cartoonish, in fact. I can't tell you how many times I went looking for something only to finally find it and think "That's it? That's a skull?" or whatever it was I was looking for. And you can't really call it "hidden object" if every object in the search screen is on the "find it" list. This game is totally lacking the fun of Madame Fate- remember searching Marlena for stars and hooks and the couple catching different objects with their tongues? You won't find anything like that in this game. If your idea of a good time is hanging hooks on gate latches you will love this game. Otherwise, you will find this game to be an utter dismal failure.

tunaontoast
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,449 Posts

[Post New]by tunaontoast on Dec 1, 13 10:14 PM
Wow, I just finished and I think this game is FABULOUS!!! This was not an easy game for me. It was a real challenge. The puzzles were awesome, just what I expect from MCF games. I needed to 'skip' in a few places because my brain just was not working fast enough and I really wanted to know the whole story. I can't wait to replay without skipping. Thanks for a thrilling experience once again!!!
BTW~ The map was fantastic and using the hint button to transport was sensational!
AND....Thank you for putting the MCF theme music back into the game.

ETA~ I missed 2 bobbleheads, the master detective and the banshee....also missed 1 card so I'll have to find out where they are.

Edited on 12/01/2013 at 10:30:40 PM PST

Go to: