The Doctor's Blog

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

Re:The Doctor's Blog

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Mar 9, 14 5:16 PM
I won't get my update until Tuesday, as I am at the bottom of the world. bfgMurrumbidgee said it is approx 01:00 am Tuesday,Australian Eastern Daylight Saving Time. It is Monday 10/03 @ 11:15 am here, with an overcast day, also a public holiday in Tasmania.

awalkinglady
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,341 Posts

The Doctor's Blog

[Post New]by awalkinglady on Mar 9, 14 11:10 PM
Ken_TheDoctor wrote:The Doctor: 164744

Seriously though, when I am able to play again, I intend to keep my score down well below the dreaded 13045, just until I read on the forum that it does prevent the lock-out.

You'll find out pretty quickly since many of us have been locked out....so, if we can get back into our games, then they will have fixed that issue.

The Doctor's Blog

[Post New]by Ken_TheDoctor on Mar 10, 14 3:30 PM
The Doctor: 164744

Well, to my surprise, the new update was ready to install when I got in from work: which was ahead of the time that BFG had predicted, so no complaints there! I've only walked through once so far and everything seems to work okay, although I did encounter a new version of an old glitch:

The coins did not drop on five flowers, but they did as soon as the next one was collected and again four later... This delayed drop is a new one on me, has anyone else come across it?

I'm struck by the changes, there has clearly a lot of thought gone into the update so lets hope that it solves the problems... Although with a game this complex, it will probably create a few more such is the nature of software! We have a whole load of new avatars to earn but I could not help notice that they are all female, which probably reflects the demographic of the players, although it is a little unfair on us minority of male players. Still, I'm not complaining as The Doctor regenerates regularly so it won't take me long to run through the ones that I earn!

I have found, however, that the crafting gift wheels still seem to operate as before; I've only crafted two items since the upgrade but both returned a red "x" and coins. I see that other people are reporting the same: so this does seem to be a glitch (unless it is a deliberate tease on the part of the devs... Enough's enough, fellahs you've had your joke so howsabout letting us win something good occasionally? Please?).

As a foot note, "Frog", my green dragon has reverted to being useless! The latest flight brought back 500 coins and no less than three of the ultracommon marks: which have been renamed "stamps"... Anybody want a dragon??? Or a common white stamp for that matter: I've got enough to open a shop.

Finally, thanks to everyone who has sent me a gift: these are much appreciated, but its going to take me weeks to return the favour, sorry, but we are still stuck with the five-gift-limit.

See you all in the castle.

Edited on 03/10/2014 at 3:33:29 PM PST

The Doctor's Blog (Supplemental)

[Post New]by Ken_TheDoctor on Mar 10, 14 4:43 PM
Well its finally happened! I'm locked out at level 17... I've just got the dreaded message that my game has a save error which has been reported and will take some time to fix (I forget the exact wording). Strangely enough my level 8 game saves and re-loads perfectly.

So a plea to my friends: please do not send gifts to The Doctor (164744) as I will not be able to reciprocate until BFG fixes the glitch. I've heard that it could take 48 hours.

Just a thought, how wide spread is the save error and at what levels is it being experienced?

awalkinglady
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,341 Posts

[Post New]by awalkinglady on Mar 10, 14 5:20 PM
Of course I am still locked out of my original game. In my second game, I had just reached level 18....played it twice after the update and then got locked out of that one. My third game I am at level 16.

It seems to me that they did nothing to fix the problem of coins not dropping for the flowers with this update. In fact, I am now losing more coins than I was before the update. And the crafting wheel still yields very little....why even bother having all that stuff show up on the crafting wheel since you know you'll never get it??

They reduced the amount of pet food given out for the HOS....replaced with these airship items instead. Makes no sense at all....more pets and less food.

And since the update, I have gone through the entire day without receiving any gifts at all.....really an unusual thing as I usually have a new gift or two every hour that I check in. I think there must be a problem with gifting right now.

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on Mar 10, 14 5:24 PM
The save error seems to be happening to everyone who was at level 18 or locked out, as well as some level 17 players. I'm guessing from what I've read that the player data on Elephant's server has to be manually fixed in some way, that's why the long wait time. I was at level 17 within spitting distance of level 18, but my game started and restarted fine after the update. I've played twice for a total of an hour or more, so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

The problem with the flowers seems to be happening the way it was before. Sometimes the coins don't drop on the 5th flower but on the 1st or 2nd after that, or not at all. I haven't had one problem with flowers since the update but I never had many before that. My "trick" is to take my time with clicking on the flowers and not clicking on something else until the coins have dropped.

I do like the new achievements, although I'm bummed that my dice games against the dragon have not counted so far. Have to start gambling again.

I decided to use all the stuff collected while waiting at level 17 to get the first level of crafting items achievement. I've only gotten a limited number of X's but they are still giving you the cheapest item on the list, and nothing's cheaper than nothing!

Think of the delay playing this way - you'll have one great gift package when you do get back on the game Don't worry about reciprocating, it's just all us nice people proving how nice we are

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Mar 10, 14 6:05 PM
What do you think of the new pets? Hopping Tiger, Flappy Eared Dog ,& the Pig, Can't remember much about it. Flying Pig???? Will the pig be one where food is concerned? Well they certainly should fly after all this fuss. Winged Cat has a new name.
Achievement for using 100 bags of Food? I notice we haven't been credited for the food we've already used.

[Post New]by Pagan_Twylight on Mar 10, 14 6:16 PM
You have to be able to 'get' the food before you can be credited with feeding it to them. With the increase in pets, there should be pet food in every HOS. I thought it was very thin on the ground before now, but what I've played has showed that it appears to be worse now. I've gone through the HOS twice and received exactly two, count them, TWO bags of food that I could use. One for my griffin, one for my dragon. My kitty got left out altogether. I did receive other food, although not much. Maybe four bags more. That is six bags out of thirty-two HOS. Hello!! the pets could starve on these rations and we sure won't be sending them out much!! Not a happy camper here at this point. And although I've collected A LOT of flowers, I haven't seen hide nor hair of a diamond. Before the update, I would usually get at least one if not two in a day playing the game. So, has anyone else received a diamond for flowers yet? Just wondering.

Pagan

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Mar 10, 14 11:50 PM
Marus14 recieved a diamond but that was because he got the 1,000 achievement.
Will keep a watch as I play again.

[Post New]by Pagan_Twylight on Mar 11, 14 1:45 AM
I finally got a diamond for flowers, so they didn't take that out. Just appear to have made them a little more scarce. I sent the airship out, thinking I would get some pet food...I got some all right. One bag...and for a pet I don't have. Figures. Sigh.

On a happier note, I think I have only had one time that the flowers didn't pay.

On a more frustrating note, I had saved up to almost 150 diamonds, but in trying to meet the crafting ten in 30 minutes, used almost forty of them, since the HOS have not seen fit to give the most needed objects...and when you do have the right ones, then the area they are used in doesn't give what you are needing...the majority of the time. I am thankful that some of them 'did' give what I needed or I would have had to use more...however, I wasn't only trying to meet the thirty minute deadline, I was also crafting high dollar objects for selling, since I understand the next section, just to get the HOS scenes open, is quite expensive.

Pagan

Edited to add: I spoke too soon. Flowers have failed to pay a couple of times since I wrote this which wasn't all that long ago. Sigh.

PT

Edited on 03/11/2014 at 2:12:37 AM PST

awalkinglady
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,341 Posts

[Post New]by awalkinglady on Mar 11, 14 4:29 AM
The coin drop for the flowers has been significantly reduced for me since the update.

The Doctor's Blog

[Post New]by Ken_TheDoctor on Mar 11, 14 4:05 PM
The Doctor: 164744 (Locked out on level 17)
The Doctor mk2: 176944 (Still playing at level 8)

Well I was fondly hoping that the main topics of conversations on the forum the day after the updates were installed would be: "How well the game is now playing"; "How wonderful it was to be playing once again after being locked out by the ,exe glitch" and "Wow what fantastic new content and challenges we now have". No, I am not being negative or sarcastic... I genuinely thought that would the state of play on the forum!!! Now, unless I am mistaken, there seems to be more people locked out now than before (Me included).

I managed precisely one round in my level 17 game and logged out for half an hour to answer my emails then found that I couldn't log in. Now I find that I am having to concentrate on my second game just when I thought that I could close it down. Still, at least the moderators are on the ball and have given us a definite time-frame for the game to be working properly this time... Let us hope that Elephant have supplied BFG with accurate information and not invented a figure just to shut them up!

I was looking forward to adding more pets to me list and working towards the next pet award but am wondering what use they will be if I can't feed them. I did four rounds at level 8 in my working game today and earned precisely 1 sack of pet food and that was for something that I don't have in either game! From what I have read, the pets are a big part of the game for many players... It sure looks as if there are going to be a number of disappointed people.

All this is so sad because this game is fantastic... Its easily the best hidden object game that I have played and yes, I am addicted to it but am beginning to find that the uncertainty of whether it will work or not is raising my stress levels and that is not something that I play a game for. I've been into home computers since about 1980 and have played all sorts of games on them and this is the first that I have found addictive, but I want to be able to play it.

See you all in the castle (I hope).
The Doctor

Edited on 03/11/2014 at 4:06:19 PM PST

The Doctor's Blog

[Post New]by Ken_TheDoctor on Mar 12, 14 3:43 PM
The Doctor mk2: 176944

Although many players are reporting that they are back in the game, I am not although it has bee over 48 hours: if I'm not back by tomorrow night, I'll take BfgWendwater's advice and contact Technical Services. I've still got my level 8 game so am not complaining.

The One improvement that I do like about the game is the airship, the airship-specific items seem to be a really good idea and I no longer feel that I am wasting resources. I earned a green stamp(mark) and a sack of pig food for the cargo... Has anyone crafted a pig yet?

On the subject of pets, the new winged cat that I have crafted does not seem to be as useless as the one in my locked game: on its first flight it returned with 200 coins and a common white stamp so it looks as if the devs have done some tweaking in this department also. Has anyone else noticed a change in their pets' treasure chests?

The other change that I have noticed is in the characters' dialogue... The Iron knight used to refuse to help because he was on duty... Now he refuses because he is off duty... Odd that!

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on Mar 12, 14 5:22 PM
Sorry to hear you're not back yet, Doc. I've gotten pig, puppy, and tiger food but obviously no eggs. I'd love a tiger, but does anybody else think he looks really creepy? I don' t care how he looks if he brings back treasure. I imagine they're giving us the chance to (slowly) collect food now so that whenever the eggs do show up we'll be able to use them. Which just made me think - there are supposed to be 20 pets, what do we have now, about 10? Does that mean we've got roughly half the game?
I used my Pigasus after the update and he came back with two rare marks and 1200 coins in a gold chest. 2nd gold chest he's given me, so I guess he's worth the trouble. Both times were in front of Anabel, so that does seem to be a good spot for him. Although he's only paid for less than 10% of what he cost, so he'd better pick up the pace a little.
It's hard to find a good knight nowadays, they're all taken

The Doctor's Blog

[Post New]by Ken_TheDoctor on Mar 14, 14 3:15 PM

I've been out of touch for a few days because of a major computer problem... My beloved home-made monstrosity contracted a Trojan... Which naturally invited a whole pack of its little friends to move in with it... At one stage I thought that I was going to have to do a complete system re-install (no big deal EXCEPT that it would have destroyed both of my games.) I think that I have evicted them all and cleared out the garbage that they brought with them. If I vanish again, you'll know why.

Still, I'm back and happy that BFG sorted out my "save-glitch" at some time in my absence. I haven't read everything that was posted in the last two and a half days, life's too short! But if I start banging on about something that someone else has already covered or something that has already been sorted out... Then no doubt someone will put the "Old Fool" (Me!) straight in no uncertain terms.

I thought that I would be coming back to a relatively glitch-free game... No such luck apparently I am getting rumours that it is virtually impossible to gather the items needed to craft the items needed to progress. I also read that BFG are now aware so hopefully they will be putting pressure on The Elephant devs to sort it out and I won't have to moan about it.

There is one little moan that I do have: the gift wheels on the crafting page are still useless... Now this is a glitch that BFG has not acknowledged (or did I miss that?)

I would like to thank all of the kind people who have showered me with the 33 gifts during my absence... This is very much appreciated: you are all very kind: so a big thank you from The Doctor. Unfortunately, with nearly a hundred friends now (and the five gift limit) its going to be ages before i can return the compliment... Especially as some people need things that I don't have (eggs for instance) or do not have a want's list. Does anyone want ordinary common stamps(marks)? I think that I've got enough to open a shop!

Pet food is also a problem with the airship only supplying pig food... Snowy, my poor starving Griffon, won't touch it and I don't really blame him. I've got to agree with rosiebvt: I'd love a tiger too... But only if I could feed the little chap!

See you all in the castle,
The Doctor

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Mar 14, 14 4:03 PM
Hey Ken_TheDoctor,

We're glad to see that you're back in the forums and your computer is recovering nicely

I have addressed the crafting item issue in a few other threads, but I can definitely fill you in here. Based on the posts we've seen here in the forums, we have escalated the item's rare-drop issue to the developer so that they can make the proper adjustments to the gameplay as soon as possible.

We will definitely post in the forums as soon as we have more information.

Thanks!

bfgWendwater

[Post New]by sheilamilo on Mar 14, 14 4:47 PM
Thanks for this too, bfgWendwater. The crafting drop has been like a sucker-punch.... - showing great stuff and never giving it.

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on Mar 14, 14 5:09 PM
Glad you're back Doc, but sorry about the sick computer. Good thing there was a doctor in the house

The Doctor's Blog

[Post New]by Ken_TheDoctor on Mar 15, 14 5:05 PM

First off I'd like to thank rosiebvt and bfgWendwater for their kind comments regarding my computer: this is such a friendly on-line community so much so that it seems as if I've been posting here forever and not just a few weeks! ... I love this game!

Thanks for all of the gifts, folks! Thanks to you I was able to give Frog, my little dragon, his first flight for ages. The little chap returned with a silver chest containing 600 coins and 3 diamonds. I suspect that the reduced amount of pet food may have been balanced by an increase in the value of the treasure: is this one of the adjustments that the moderators have mentioned from time too time? Has anyone else noticed a similar increase in treasure chest value? (Or was it a one-off?)

I would like to congratulate one of my friends... Red Bullz is on level 22! This is fantastic, several others are racing ahead on level 20, but 22 is even higher than the mythical John! How did you do it Red Bullz? I know its unlikely that you will actually read this drivel, but if you do, how about letting the rest of us in on the secret: there are a lot of players struggling to get past level 19, which is ancient history to you... Once again, well done!

Finally, thank you Wendwater, for taking the gaming-wheel problem seriously and please note - not a single moan today.... (There's always tomorrow!)

The Doctor.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Mar 15, 14 6:05 PM
Hi Ken,

Here is some color to dispel the doom and gloom as you requested. It is in the next post. It fills the maximum character limit so I could not post any words with it.

Happy gaming!

Edited on 03/15/2014 at 6:11:17 PM PST

Go to: