Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by NancySusan on May 7, 14 5:42 AM
I didn't get back to this game for several weeks and only just finished the regular round yesterday, and am now in the bonus round. Despite the reservations I had about the game which I mentioned in my initial review, and a few more I had while playing, this is really is one of the best games I've ever played. Wonderful music, great variations on the HOP's, mostly really fun and interesting mini-games, very good acting, good attempts at accents (even the bogus Creole one), great drenched color, a tragic story, which tries in a small way to look at racism, and a really intrepid heroine. But I have to mention the total lack of real New Orleans architecture and the fact that New Orleans which is just barely above sea level, particularly the French Quarter, is shown as something not even recognizably New Orleans, leaving out all that beautiful late 18th century construction and adding in what looks like some European city instead. As I played the game, gramophones were a real theme, except that by 1946 most people owned record players (with turntables), not gramaphones; no one had mini-cassette recorders, and virtually no one owned a TV and certainly not one that looks like it's from the 1970's or 1980's. With a little work and careful research, this could have been even more stunning a game than it was --I wish the devs. had done more homework, because why bother to set something a city like New Orleans, if you don't bother to have it in the game -- but still, it was a great game.

sugarbelle
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by sugarbelle on May 18, 14 5:08 PM
I can't believe some of the negative reviews. This is the best game I've ever played. With a little thought you can figure it out on your own without having to follow a guide, until the end. The music is superb and so are the HOS.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on May 22, 14 6:37 PM
I've finally finished the whole game - main game, bonus and all the extras - and it's been a great experience. Thank you, MadHead people! You rock, again!

I was so delighted to see some other-than-white faces - although the dark-skinned characters seemed to lighten up considerably as the game progressed. The graphics were terrific and the music was a refreshing change from the usual sappy Musak. Game play was pretty straightforward so I didn't use the hint button more than a couple of times. The sparkly jumping map was also a great help.

I enjoyed the sporadic HOs and of course the morphing objects, my favourite aspect of these games. Being able to go back at the end of the game and find all the hidden notes was GREAT. I guess you could say I got a little closure there, and didn't have to feel cheated when I didn't get all of them like in other games. Mini-puzzles were very easy for the most part but there were a large number of them and kept the game going very quickly.

The main part of the game had a definite ending which solved all the plot threads. The bonus story didn't make much sense to me but I enjoyed it anyway, and got a few hours' play out of it which was a nice change.

The only (tiny) negative I found in this game was the constant clunking noise upon clicking a useless object. That got very tedious as I either have to keep the sound turned up (due to hearing loss) or turn it off completely.

I certainly got my money's worth in this game and I'd definitely recommend it.

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Jun 5, 14 6:19 PM
Just finished Cadenza, and I want to change my name and play it all over again! I have to agree with most reviewers that this will be the game of the year for 2014. If it's not, then I will be sorely disappointed in those that found the tiniest faults with this game.

First and foremost, you are entirely swept away by the music. I love all kinds of music, and in fact just bought Hugh Laurie's last 2 albums. Jazz and the blues require a soul along with enormous talent to pull it off just right, and this game provided both.

What a refreshing game to be set in New Orleans! And with the heroine being a black woman of incredible courage. I have to say, I have never played a game like this before, and it was wonderful!

The devs pulled off this "comic-book" style with such a sense of reality, I honestly don't know how they did it. After an hour into the game, I felt I was looking at real people. However they did it, it worked brilliantly. Kudos to them for such a wonderful game.

How was the game play? How many HOS's and mini-puzzles were there? I honestly don't know and don't care. The game and its story line did it all for me. Any HOS scene or puzzles just got in my way, and IMHO could have been completely left out of the game and I wouldn't have missed either one. I was that spell-bound.

Sorry if the cars were not of the period, or tape recorders were not around at that time, etc., etc. Some things are just not important enough to even write about when reviewing a game of this calibre.

A must buy for everyone, whether it be the CE with bling, or the SE without. This is a game that should not be missed. Get down with it. Turn those speakers up. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy the story and the soul behind it. I have a feeling we won't see a game this well put together for a very long time.

teeitup46ok
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,217 Posts

[Post New]by teeitup46ok on Jun 5, 14 7:14 PM
Just finished the main part of the game and wanted to come and check out the thread as I was unsure if I had chosen correctly at the end. Didn't really find a thread about the ending of the main game but started reading the review thread and felt compelled to add my feedback, as well. From the opening, I was blown away with the detail, music and overall appearance of the game. I loved everything about the game, from the innovative HOS, the puzzles I found were not your usual run-of the-mill puzzles and the music, just set the mood throughout. I'm a really slow player, and I'm at 7hrs just for the main game (looking for the music notes which I found hard to find in some areas did add some time to that). Liked the morphing items in the HOS, too. And as someone mentioned, yes, I did a double take and chuckled when I saw the name of the landlord.

I'm so looking forward to the bonus now, as it sounds like it is packed. I only use the SG to give me a nudge if I've exhausted trying to figure it out myself so it's good to know that I will have a chance to go back and find those pesky notes. I think Mad Head Games is now one of my new favorites and looked to see what other games they have done and think I have a couple of them still to play. Definitely one of my top 5 games this year and may be on my permanent list of all- time games. Got the game in a 2-for-1 sale so definitely getting my money's worth.

Finished and just wanted to add that I think this is one of the most fun games I have played in a long time. Just so much innovative new stuff in game and bonus chapter that it sets it apart for me from the other re-runs we seem to see more of these days. Way to go, Mad Head Games!!

Edited on 06/07/2014 at 7:30:15 AM PST

[Post New]by TripleE495 on Jun 12, 14 11:37 AM
It has been a long time since a game has captured me in such a way where I wanted to complete the game... and this game is the one that has captured my complete attention!

Stunning graphics, great story line, engaging characters, mesmerizing music and challenging/new style puzzles! I highly recommend this game if you are tired of the usual hidden object style games!

Worth every penny you paid for it!

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jun 20, 14 10:22 PM
THIS GAME IS MUSIC TO THE EARS!
CADENZA: MUSIC, BETRAYAL AND DEATH COLLECTOR'S EDITION

Part One of Three:

I played the entire Collector’s Edition, including bonus section in 12 hours on a Mac Book Pro.
This game is, indeed, a cadenza, or a virtuoso passage...though it doesn't happen at the end. Instead this is a Cadenza performance from the very beginning. More importantly than what it's called is what it is: a superior game that adds up to far more than the sum of its parts.

Judged on its individual parts, the game might not merit a five-star rating. BUT, it would be a mistake to look at Cadenza as anything less than a "whole." A single element ties the entire game together: the music. It's not a mistake and, I'm sure, not unintentional, that the game's name is "Music, Betrayal, and Death" Surely the music is the most important feature of this game.

I consider background music essential as it drives a game and sets its tone. This has never been truer than in Cadenza. I suspect if you turned off the sound to this game you'd find it only ordinary! The music doesn't just set the game’s tone, it gives it form. It doesn't just drive the game, it propels it!

My rating of 5 is absolutely a function of the totality being far greater than the sum of its parts.

Let me be clear, though: this game is exceptional because of its original use of music. No other game I'm aware of is so thoroughly moved forward by the soundtrack.

FUN FACTOR: The music is an inescapable part of the fun for me. Music populates most of the game and is a perfect backdrop for action that takes place in the French Quarter of New Orleans. There are lots of characters, lots of games and lots of HOS. The characters are great. As the newest Top Reviewer on the game site points out surprisingly correctly, the characters are lifelike and well-detailed. Playing a game where we feel as though we are dealing with real characters is ultimate fun for me: I always prefer a movie to a cartoon. Although there are no live actors, you'll feel as though there are.
To be Continued…

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jun 20, 14 10:23 PM
Part Two of Three:
VISUAL-SOUND QUALITY:
Sights: The game looks good. Color creates a bright ambience when right and dark when appropriate. Not unlike a mint julep, Cadenza can be at once upbeat and ponderous. You visit a cemetery, the salon of a mistress of the dark arts, a jazz club, of course (the central locale). All of these are distinctly New Orleans. Each is presented perfectly on point.

Sounds: Have I gone on enough about the sound? Even if you're not a jazz hound you'll enjoy this. It's not heavy jazz that only an aficionado will enjoy. It's inviting to the uninitiated. The voice-overs are great. The actors who portray the characters do so brilliantly and with, what I consider to be, accurate bayou accents. Sadly, the lip-synching is poor but who cares. Have a julep or three while you play...you won't notice.

LEVEL OF CHALLENGE:
Of course, this is where the game would suffer if you look at individual parts. While the game as a whole will impress the most veteran of players, the Mini-puzzles will not be satisfying to anyone. An old hand will find the games a waste of time. A new player will be happy to achieve success but realize it was cheaply earned.
The HOS are a great improvement over the mini-games. There are several fun variations. A result of the superiority of this game, visually, is the very clear and crisply drawn HOS. They are not difficult to solve, though at times they require a little thought.

STORYLINE:
The music, the locale, the script, the characters and the actors who portray them come together to present a perfect story, well laid out. This is the Garden...Good and Evil, indeed. There is Death and Betrayal, as promised. There are notes of the dark arts as I mentioned earlier..but always there's a dose of reality. One character perfectly explains the birth/berth of the darkly spiritual world, where it comes from and where it resides.
To be Continued…

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jun 20, 14 10:24 PM
Part Three of Three:

COLLECTOR'S EDITION EXTRAS:
As the roadmap has been drawn for some time now, the CE arrives first. Is it worth it?

There are the typical "who cares" appointments of a CE. Even though I've gone on about the music, a true Jazz fiend will have his or her own collection and not depend on this soundtrack to augment it. In addition:

a. The first round of collectibles, treble clef symbols, 44 of them are spread throughout the game. They can be difficult to find! Unfortunately, other than the symbolic reference of a treble clef, they have nothing to do with the game other than adding a task. This is, perhaps, the most difficult achievement in the entire game. If you like this extra feature in general, you’ll love this one, specifically, because of the difficulty.

b. There are morphing items in each of the HOS.

c. There is an additional collectible group. I couldn't access it because I didn't complete one task that is the entrée to the collectibles. There were no accompanying directions for this. I correctly achieved the first part of the task, identifying relationships between characters. Unfortunately I didn’t complete the second task: Placing a symbol representing the relationships onto a template. The completed template opens the door to the last collectible. I left the scene without completing the template. The symbols disappeared and can’t be retrieved without replaying the entire game from the very beginning.

Reviewers in the user forums say the developer of the game has identified this as a glitch. They also report that many requests for help from BFG in the forums have gone unanswered. Unfortunately, this glitch nullifies the value of the CE that you paid for. Buyer, beware of the early exit. You’ll pay for your mistake.

THE VERDICT:
After all is said and done, this is still a five-star game. The negatives, including the glitch in the bonus section, don't come close to outweighing the positives. I don’t think you’ve played anything quite like this game. If you really viscerally hate music soundtrack, skip it. Otherwise, get the game. The Special Edition is available and, based on the glitch in the CE, I recommend it over the CE. You'll be happy you did. It's music to the ears. Literally.

[Post New]by asgard2000 on Jul 27, 14 9:08 AM
A TRUE waste of my game coupons! A great deal TOO much video (if I want videos, I'll watch a movie) and background music (listen to a record/radio, etc). Game had NO challenges for experienced players.
Rate this for Beginners and not for anyone who enjoys playing the GAME and does not need a lot of wasted GB, etc. and loading time, etc.

heleanthia
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by heleanthia on Aug 13, 14 4:31 PM
Loved it....I am sad to read the negative opinions but we all have entitlement to an opinion....
I LOVED the music(amazing and relaxing jazz(I grew up on jazz from the time I was a baby; my dad had a band and they would practise in our house,

The original songs were awesome; so poignant and well done.

I loved the story; it was well plotted, and moved along at a gripping rate...

I adored the hogs(I am more of an adventure game junkie, but the hogs were so inventive and fun, that I totally got into them...lol)
As another reviewer said, they are going to change their name so they can play the whole game again; now THAT is what I feel like doing and I SELDOM if not EVER play games a second time...

The graphics were wonderful and crisp and each scene was fun to explore.

All in all, a wonderful game.

I really look forward to more from this developer; kudos on a wonderful achievement!

Edited on 08/13/2014 at 4:31:38 PM PST

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Sep 6, 14 8:48 PM
I guess that absolutely hating jazz did not help. I found myself cringing. I also had problems with my cutting open someone else's purse and stealing money and then giving pain medication, which appeared to be prescription, to a stranger who was obviously snockered. I have some problems here with "my" ethics.

The puzzles I ran into hardly qualified as puzzles - they were way too easy and I'm not a very experienced player. The HOS were OK once I figured out I was supposed to be finding notes in one. I do wonder how I'm supposed to identify an item to match it up with another when it is literally covered in sparkles. I honestly thought one was a slipper. It wasn't anything close to a slipper. Still, the HOS (or are they being called HOPs now?) are the best part of the game.

The map is just plain weird.

This is a no-buy for me unless the SE shows up as a DD or COTW or I have a filled card and am desperate. I'm happy some others are enjoying the game.

Edited on 09/06/2014 at 8:55:54 PM PST

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Sep 22, 14 8:14 PM
What a fantastic game, everything, even being able to fix the missed collectables at the end of bonus.
I am so utterly happy that I bought the CE and played everything that can be played
I kept holding my breath, needlessly
Storyline, playability, colors, music mini-games hog scenes, hint button (played custom) , well its almost like the developers made a game that they themselves would enjoy
I read the first page of reviews that were in exquisite in their descriptions and agree
Thank you Big Fish and Developers for a fine, fine game
I'm giving this fantastic game out of 5 !

[played on P.C. that is running 64 bit Windows 7 pro]

Edited on 09/22/2014 at 8:17:13 PM PST

Go to: