mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

Re:What happened to all the reviewers?

[Post New]by mamajay on Apr 26, 14 12:25 AM
Regarding the CCC - yes I miss it. BUT, it was becoming completely unmanageable, with all the nice, well meaning posters constantly being shouted done by trouble makers. No wonder BF took the forums down

I did seriously consider cancelling my membership again, but after a lot of thought, decided the game prices and Customer Service was too good to give up. Where else can I pay $7 a month for membership and earn a game credit at the same time? I do however, occasionally buy games elsewhere, usually as a way to encourage the Devs to make more

Regarding the opening posts for Review threads, etc - I think it is great that ANYONE takes the time to start them I am always thankful that it is not me who is always up at such a late hour (I'm in Australia, so I have a good excuse, lol).

As for deciding which games to buy, I first look at the story-line. If it interests me, I download the demo. I do make a point of looking in the game forum for other opinions on how the game plays, possible glitches, etc, but ultimately, (unless I find out something in the game is likely to upset me), I make up my own mind on the game.

It is obvious that after a while, we all have our favourite Devs, but I do try and keep an open mind on all the games in my favourite genre, at least until I have tried them , lol.

I haven't done any real reviews for a while, (although I have commented sometimes in the other threads), but maybe it is time I made the effort again. And in case you are wondering, I decided NOT to demo this particular game as I am getting bored with this series - like the Puppetshow and Redemption Cemetary games, I think it has gone on for long enough. But that is just my opinion

Jen

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on Apr 26, 14 1:04 AM
I used to post a review faithfully for all hidden object games on the review page and then again in the game forum page. I haven't played many games lately because of medical problems and caring for my father who passed away on March 13th.

I'm going to start playing the games again, at least playing the demo of them, and will be very happy to start posting my reviews again. I really enjoy reading other people's reviews also.

River

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Apr 26, 14 1:22 AM
Hey baglady159!

Looks like you have done something really positive by your question, if previous regular reviewers such as mamjay and DeadRiver are motivated to add their input.

I'm looking forward to reading reviews from people whose reviews are new to me!

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 26, 14 2:06 AM
Many people left BFG completely when Faunasphere closed. it was a great disappointment and many of us still feel we have not heard the full story on the closure.

Many more Pondies left with the draining of the Pond which was quite a shock especially when we were told that the Pond was going to undergo some updating and would return and then - Surprise! - the Pond was closed completely. I always hope that maybe one day it will return. It is my understanding that the Forums were maintained by an outside source and was not created or operated by BFG. This may have been part of the problem and the company may have planned to do the Forums themselves but, for some reason, decided against it in the end. Whatever the case, The Pond is greatly missed and was well appreciated by most.

Now Reviewers and other Pondies can be found iin Vlady's Forums, in Groups at Facebook, at the BFG FB site and many other locations around the Net. Also, there are a few threads such as this one to be found in many of the Game Forums. I am surprised and very pleased to see that this thread is still open.

Why am I still here? I hate to admit it but I just love games and need a Portal. I now play games elsewhere as well but BFG does have some of the best games and sales and despite some dissatisfaction with the company, I do like to check in to play the many games I own and to try and buy new ones. I can't possibly get all of my games on this laptop.

[Post New]by baglady159 on Apr 26, 14 6:39 AM
I am so pleased with all the responses to my original question. It's given me a lot of insight.

Thanks to the posts from some of the "oldies" like twinsoniclab and bribling and DeadRiver. And hello again to peglegann and jojo_the_joyful and Nilosh. It's so good to see you all again. Your regular posts have been missed but I'm glad to see you all still hanging around, even if its in the background.

Thank you to shorenuf for your honest and straight forward answer. I also remember when management used to join in the fun.

And Old_Man_River, its good to see you and I, too, dislike the heavy censorship now.

Thanks so much to joyce2121 for your feedback. I'll take your advice.

I so agree with you, Itsupikachu. I would also post encouragement to those who shared tough times. I loved the CCC and miss the camaraderie.

And a special thanks to Valdy for welcoming me into her fabulous "family"!

I may not have always agreed with everyone's reviews, but I always looked forward to reading them.

We all know that BF is monitoring this post so I'd like to throw out a suggestion that maybe management could bring back some of the things that we all liked and miss so much so that there is more user friendly interaction. So many of us enjoyed being able to interact with each other without fear of being censored. We shared what was going on in our lives and asked for feedback from far away friends. Big Fish used to be more than just reviews and tech problems and it was a fun place to stop by and chat for a bit before we all went back to our own daily lives.

And that is just my own honest opinion.

Edited on 04/26/2014 at 6:48:57 AM PST

[Post New]by baglady159 on Apr 26, 14 6:53 AM
Would love to see you start again jojo_the_joyful. But I have another question. What is the "star" system that several of you have referred to? I missed that somewhere along the way?

Edited on 04/26/2014 at 6:55:25 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 26, 14 7:05 AM
Baglady (((huggles)))

I think what is meant are the reviews on the main game page, where you can add a review and give up to 5 stars for a game.

[Post New]by baglady159 on Apr 26, 14 7:53 AM
Thanks Valdy, I know what you mean now. I'm just a little slow to the start...lol

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Apr 26, 14 8:24 AM
No brickbat, Sunnyglow, but just to explain why I care about
reviews. Your quote:

Where are the reviewers? Who cares. You should play the trial and decide for yourself anyway. Does some person you have never met know any more than you on what "you" like? Geesh!

I do play the trial before I buy any game, but, I'm a very slow player and usually
only get half as far in the demos as most people. The reviews are my way
of getting that extra insight that longer play time would give me. And bless
the regulars, for over time, I learn where and why we agree and most
important where we disagree.

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Apr 26, 14 9:00 AM
[Removed by Moderator]

I personally don't read the "new" long winded gushing reviews that sound like a movie trailer or the cover page of a third rate romance novel. I like the reviews that are to the point, and I feel "in my humble opinion" that everyone, yes EVERYONE has an absolute right to post a game review whether it is long short or in between. If we like don't like the game, we are allowed to say it in as few or as many words as we choose...all as long as we adhere to forum rules! We also are allowed to read the reviews we like and skip the ones we don't.

Many of us over the years have made friendships here that have continued outside the forums, but to accuse OTHER people of conspiring against those who think they have "dibs" on this forum is a new low and I, "in my honest opinion" is a truly low and disgusting blow. I think someone is trying to get this thread closed and locked because people were actually voicing their opinions and they don't agree with them. How very very sad this has all turned out.

Abs

Edited on 04/28/2014 at 11:34:07 AM PST

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Apr 26, 14 10:00 AM
[Removed by Moderator]

I'm one of the "old timers" here. One thing you should never use is post count or first dip in forums to judge how long someone has been around. Ok, that being said, I have never known Valdy to be malicious or tricksy! Where on earth did that come from?!?

If people think the stuff that's being said here is bad, then they OBVIOUSLY never read or participated in the old CCC! That being said, I still miss the CCC because of the freedom and friendships we made there. Many of us have made friendships in the new game forums and we do communicate on the "outside". I see no problem with this, unless these groups are committed to harassing others here.

Abs

Edited on 04/28/2014 at 11:37:15 AM PST

tvjunkies
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by tvjunkies on Apr 26, 14 10:00 AM
angelfish106 wrote:
tvjunkies wrote:"took away the pond (CCC)"

What?

CCC = Chit Chat Corner. It was hugely popular and had thousands of posts. Then one day, pretty much without warning, it was taken away and with it went many of the regulars. Some still swim by here now and again but most have found other ponds to bathe in

Well, that's too bad...sorry to hear it.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Apr 26, 14 11:05 AM
DeadRiver wrote:I used to post a review faithfully for all hidden object games on the review page and then again in the game forum page. I haven't played many games lately because of medical problems and caring for my father who passed away on March 13th.

I'm going to start playing the games again, at least playing the demo of them, and will be very happy to start posting my reviews again. I really enjoy reading other people's reviews also.

River

hi river! i am SO sorry for your loss and hope you are feeling better soon...
i'm sure that your dear BF, BlackWaterRules, has been very supportive during this difficult time.

and, i do hope that you start posting reviews again... i miss them!

Edited on 04/26/2014 at 11:09:39 AM PST

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Apr 26, 14 11:53 AM
hi fellow fishies,

as you can see by my size and my post count that i am a long time fishie here and i used to post quite often (although not as much as others lol). i quit the forum's here when they closed down chit chat corner and i quit posting reviews as well when i had someone attack me with not so kind words saying i told them a spoiler from the game when i actually used an example of something and it wasn't even in the game lol. i thought then how little people are when they are attacking others for letting them know what the game is like or about. i think i said that for example you may have to open a door to set off an hog scene lol.

i do come back and read the reviews just don't feel like posting them any longer.

love and hugs to all my fishie friends that have posted in this thread.

anita

Edited on 04/26/2014 at 11:54:47 AM PST

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Apr 26, 14 12:22 PM
Hi Anita! Long time no see!

The attacking of certain reviews and reviewers is getting to be a very bad habit these days. I miss your reviews, and others who have quit for various reasons. Some have just moved on. That's life..! Sorry the "attackers" made you feel the way they did. I've been attacked for my views about games, but it just makes me more determined to keep posting! I feel we should ALL be able to post game related respectful reviews, posts etc. I also think the Mods have been very good at letting us continue a thread like this one, because it has stimulated a great conversation and brought a lot of fishies out posting their very valid opinions and views about review related issues.

This morning we found a "hit and run" post, i.e. post something mean, try to get the thread closed, then quickly remove the post. Apparently this person was not happy with what she was reading. Good thing we have a screen shot function on our computers!

It would be nice to see you come back and review, but if you don't feel like it, that's cool too! Take Care!

Abs

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Apr 26, 14 2:04 PM
Hi Anita ,

Good to see you!

I don't like also the "attackers"! Neither the extremely opinionated people still in this forum.

That is the reason in my last message I asked for respect to other reviews and point of views, that is freedom.

Luckily for me, nobody was nasty never, many fishies helped me always (at least I didn't feel in ridicule). It's true, I was most of the time in word games, but last year I overcome my shyness and I participated in different groups in CCC.

That is the reason I wish we can keep this small place to talk about games, thanks to the Mods to let us express ourselves.

Sorry DeadRiver for your loss !!!

Have all of you a nice weekend ,
M.

sapphire46
Manatee
Manatee
3,740 Posts

[Post New]by sapphire46 on Apr 26, 14 4:06 PM
I too would like to thank the reviewers.
It is so nice to see some of the old timers I knew are still around and, like me, just read the reviews and don't post anymore. I am still a member and still buy my games from BF. I too was very upset at the way BF treated us and closed CCC. It was a way some people had to talk and exchange views that they couldn't do in real life for many reasons. Some were housebound so the forums were their way of talking to people all over the world. Some didn't have anyone to share their lives with. the ups and downs.
I belong to Valdy's family and a great job the reviewing is, new and about to be new.

Reviewers keep up the good work, you are being read....and it doesn't make any difference to me who opens a thread...

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on Apr 26, 14 7:01 PM
It's great to see old and new faces here and I'm looking forward to reading
and writing reviews.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Apr 27, 14 2:56 AM
I used to love doing reviews based on the played game and bonus and thought nothing of writing them, but lately I've lost my confidence and feel it's a bit of a minefield.

I appreciate (and always have) the detailed reviews based on a demo. In the past I've had terrible download speeds (still do to some extent) and those reviewers have helped me a lot in making up my mind whether to buy or not, as I never usually demo.

Hence I got into doing the reviews based on the whole game. However, there are pitfalls with doing that.

For starters, it has occurred to me that people may think I'm trying to belittle the demo reviews. And, by the time I've downloaded the whole thing and actually played it, what's the point in reiterating most of what has already been said so well by many reviewers before me?

So, that leaves me with making some specific comments about the whole game and bonus, but how much do I say that is so different without making an unintentional spoiler?

I usually say how many puzzles and HOPs there are. Some people have sent me PMs saying they like knowing the 'nitty gritty', whilst others have told me I've spoiled things for them. I even once got a PM from someone asking me how it was possible for me to have played a whole game and bonus when the game had only been released half a day, as if they disbelieved me. I had to point out I live on the other side of the world.

Gaming, like reading books or watching movies, is such an individually personal thing. I love Sushi, but some of my former colleagues and friends would turn as green as Wasabi at the thought of raw fish.

Finally, we all play at different speeds, have different set-ups, free time and brain levels at times. If someone says they find puzzles challenging or the graphics are fuzzy and I come along and say I found the puzzles easy and graphics fantastic, would those people feel insulted? Hence, people get upset and attack others.

Everyone should be able to say what they like without fear of recrimination. None of us need to go to the time and effort only to be squashed. We review because we like to do it. It's sad when reviewers are driven away by others through hurtful comments about their opinions.

So, good reviewers, take courage and come back! And River, I send you my heartfelt condolences.

Edited on 04/27/2014 at 2:58:35 AM PST

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Apr 27, 14 4:29 AM
Woah, I go for a day and this has 66 replies? What have I missed?

Edited on 04/27/2014 at 4:29:58 AM PST

Go to: