luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

Re:Labyrinths of the World: Shattered Soul Collector's Edition

[Post New]by luvtoread on Sep 6, 14 5:24 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:The developers will make whatever genre of game sells. So, if D&E games are hard to find, then it's because they aren't the "in" thing anymore, not because some players complained. The majority of players must have quite purchasing them, or it would still be profitable for the developers to make them, and they would make them if that were the case!

It's fair to "complain" about helpers, or any other aspect of a game, without demoing. It's not a review without a demo after all. There are elements that cause me to refuse to even demo, and I'll share why so the developers can hear (I will email them too when the issue are important to me, since they aren't always lurking around the forums!). One CAN have an opinion without demoing! I don't have to taste mushroom soup to know I won't like it. I don't have to test drive a Hummer to know I won't buy one. I don't have to demo a game if it has _____ (fill in the blank for your own personal peeves) to know I won't like it.

I have to respectfully disagree. There were ones who never played
Dark and Eerie games who constantly complained. Those developers
did listen.
That is why we now have the games we do.
There were complaints that there were not enough Time Management
games. They were listened to.
Heck, even when more TM games were featured some still complained!
I hate TM games.
Now, my buying is down.
I miss games like Ravenhurst and Dire Grove; a game that will
just draw you in and scare the bejesus out of you.
I have complaints to. For ex: I think the name of it was FEAR.
Great game, but the bonus was such a waste of time.
Haunted Hotel: That James is a moron and a spineless wimp.
I hate games where the "ghost" or whatever is kind enough to just
stand around waiting for you to dig through junk so you can zap him
with something stupid.
Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward was a great game. I wish they
had continued with it.

I get cbx's frustration. I do. Its just that you are not forced to
dress your critter and some of the games are good.

But my point is that there will always be someone complaining about
something. You know what? They may have the right, but don't
complain if you haven't tried it. Cause you may be wrong.
If its not your thing, then find one that is.

I think I am done rambling.

[Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 09/08/2014 at 3:58:16 PM PST

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Sep 6, 14 5:42 PM
cbtx wrote:JTF, I hope you never find yourself in a formal debate (you know, with rules)!! LOL

Since you have hijacked this thread (but, as a former moderator, you know that), and the discussion has changed to what YOU want to discuss, I'll leave it to you.

Your last word follows ----

Did I miss something? I don't see any post by JTF. She hasen't hijacked
anything.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 6, 14 5:44 PM
He and some others seem to think Average Size Fish is JTF in disguise. I'm not sure why they think JTF would do something like that though.

Edited for spelling error.

Edited on 09/06/2014 at 5:44:46 PM PST

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 6, 14 7:40 PM
So, perhaps I am a middle-aged, simple-minded girly-girl who likes the "damsel in distress" story line that's going on here.

Hmmm. I worked in legal for over 35 years, majored in psychology for women while working full-time, home-schooling my 3 children, pulling all-nighters at work often and enjoying a much too short-lived fairytale marriage with my soul-mate.

Yeah, middle-aged, simple-minded girly-girl describes me perfectly.

I LOVED the game and am purchasing it. Why all the haters? If you don't like the game, don't buy it. Just don't slam those of us who do enjoy it. If you dislike EVERYTHING that's out there - why don't you all get together, form
a corporation or LLC and start creating games of your own, based on your own likes and dislikes?

Yeah, a crazed scientist using his pure of heart, kind, sweet assistant's soul to destroy other worlds while the male hero comes in to save the day. Definitely a damsel in distress story. LOVE IT! So there (raspberry tongue!).

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Sep 6, 14 7:56 PM
cbtx wrote:JTF, I hope you never find yourself in a formal debate (you know, with rules)!! LOL

Since you have hijacked this thread (but, as a former moderator, you know that), and the discussion has changed to what YOU want to discuss, I'll leave it to you.

Your last word follows ----

I have no idea why you are so antagonistic towards me or why you are suggesting I am some other user. I have no idea why you're so antagonistic to people who have the audacity to enjoy a game you didn't even try. Your tone is offensive and I am going to report you. I have not highjacked this thread. I have posted on topic and you have chosen to single me out for constant rude reply.

luvtoread wrote:my point is that there will always be someone complaining about

I completely agree.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Sep 7, 14 1:07 AM
cbtx wrote:
I have no idea why you are so antagonistic towards me or why you are suggesting I am some other user.

Your tone is offensive and I am going to report you.

The exact same could be said of yourself toward me ---- you have found me in multiple threads to start your debates with me, and I really wish you would stop. Accordingly, I have already reported you to moderation long ago.

I have simply stated what I feel about these games, and you have jumped into a heretofore civil discussion with your very rude comments that truly deserve no reply at all.

But I'll tell you what ---- I'm very happy to continue a civil discussion with you via PM, as moderators urge to be done in these types of cases. You are probably a lovely person in RL, and perhaps we could work out our differences in surprisingly quick order that way. I don't have any real differences with you personally ---- I don't even know you ---- and I surely don't need this audience. If that would be of interest to you, send me a PM. If not, well, I tried. I would much prefer to get along than squabble and argue. How about you?
You accused me of being some other person. I have reported you for that.

I definitely would prefer to get along. That means you need to, at the least, not accuse me of being someone else. That's way out there,

Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Sep 7, 14 1:08 AM
luvtoread wrote:
It's fair to "complain" about helpers, or any other aspect of a game, without demoing. It's not a review without a demo after all. There are elements that cause me to refuse to even demo, and I'll share why so the developers can hear (I will email them too when the issue are important to me, since they aren't always lurking around the forums!). One CAN have an opinion without demoing! I don't have to taste mushroom soup to know I won't like it. I don't have to test drive a Hummer to know I won't buy one. I don't have to demo a game if it has _____ (fill in the blank for your own personal peeves) to know I won't like it.

I have to respectfully disagree. There were ones who never played
Dark and Eerie games who constantly complained. Those developers
did listen.
That is why we now have the games we do.
There were complaints that there were not enough Time Management
games. They were listened to.
Heck, even when more TM games were featured some still complained!
I hate TM games.
Now, my buying is down.
I miss games like Ravenhurst and Dire Grove; a game that will
just draw you in and scare the bejesus out of you.
I have complaints to. For ex: I think the name of it was FEAR.
Great game, but the bonus was such a waste of time.
Haunted Hotel: That James is a moron and a spineless wimp.
I hate games where the "ghost" or whatever is kind enough to just
stand around waiting for you to dig through junk so you can zap him
with something stupid.
Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward was a great game. I wish they
had continued with it.

I get cbx's frustration. I do. Its just that you are not forced to
dress your critter and some of the games are good.

But my point is that there will always be someone complaining about

I think I am done rambling.

Somebody's Testicles is encouraging me to name myself Scrotum.

Well said luvtoread
Like you I hate TM games, never demo them, but also never complain about them.
Reading between the lines it seems some complain just to get the kind of games they like, with no thought for the ones that do like the elements in a game that they hate.
By the way, your comment about the 'ghost' in Haunted Hotel is hilarious

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 7, 14 1:30 AM
Well... I loved the game.

The Bonus chapter will give some peeps a tooth ache, but I liked it a lot.

Although I played the brother, this game felt like it was made with female players in mind.

I don't buy many HOGs anymore these days, because I get bored after half an hour, but this game never bored me once, and that's saying a lot. A very well done game, I thought. Thank you developers.

verdesa
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by verdesa on Sep 7, 14 8:21 AM
snapnhiss wrote:He and some others seem to think Average Size Fish is JTF in disguise. I'm not sure why they think JTF would do something like that though.

Edited for spelling error.

Does anyone know what's happened to JTF? Her reviews were always ones that I waited to read.

Edited on 09/07/2014 at 8:24:23 AM PST

[Post New]by DesertHermit on Sep 7, 14 9:35 AM
Hello fishies!

This is my first (and possibly only) post, and I just wanted to weigh in on the reviews/reviewers issue. I have only been with BFG for about a year, but I read EVERY post and review of every game (current and past) that I consider buying. I have bought all my games based on reviews only, and spent several months reading reviews and learning the reviewers (like poker players tells), before making my first purchase. I have since acquired a few hundred, and have only been wrong (for me) a rare few times.

I have learned the reviewers who never have anything good to say about any game, as well as the reviewers who never have anything bad to say. I ignore these reviews as being too unrealistic and generally not helpful. I read (out of sheer morbid curiosity) the reviews of anyone who makes assumptions, presumptions, or passes judgement on what kind of person(s) will enjoy a game that they dislike. I also immediately disregard these opinions as having little to do with the enjoyability of the game in question, and believe that they show more about the character (or lack thereof) of the poster than the people the poster is judging.

My favorite reviewers are the ones who list all the game specifics in small, well-categorized paragraphs (JTF, WHERE ARE YOU????) If they offer a personal opinion, it is on a specific aspect of gameplay, not on the genre as a whole, or on their fellow reviewers. I have learned certain reviewers will love or hate the same things I do, but also some who hate the things I love, so that even their negative reviews I view as a recommendation to buy.

Thanks to all you reviewers for taking the time to trial and then tell us what you saw. Thanks also to the ones who post on the game pages and list a current favorite. For someone like me who came late to the game, it's a great little treasure hunt for past goodies.

Edited on 09/07/2014 at 9:43:30 AM PST

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 7, 14 1:08 PM
@Desert Hermit

That was a very refreshing post in my opinion so I hope you do post again, and I too miss JTF for the reviews she/he posts.

I never read posts that start with "I exited the game within 10 minutes" as no one can get an idea of how the game progresses within 10 minutes.

Dax

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 7, 14 1:25 PM
I'll see if I can find her. I think she's one of the best writers (if not *the* best) on here and it's a shame that she doesn't post here much anymore.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Sep 7, 14 2:10 PM
I think maybe JTF stopped posting because of all the negativity, nastiness, and downright rudeness of some posters. I agree, that JTF's reviews are excellent and I always admire the way he/she lets us know what to expect. In the past some people were quite ugly towards him/her for providing too much information but I disagree with that view.

Yes, JTF is one of the best reviewers here and I miss those reviews! I'd love to see you back here JTF sharing what you do so well with the rest of us.

[Post New]by DesertHermit on Sep 7, 14 3:34 PM
FWIW biscuitsmama, you are also a favorite reviewer and have become my top 'go-to' reviewer in JTF's absence. Your time and effort are appreciated more than you know. Thank you.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Sep 7, 14 4:07 PM
Thank you DesertHermit. Your kind words are very much appreciated.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 7, 14 4:29 PM
Late to the game - well actually no - it is football weekend and what is a fall weekend in my neck of the US without the usual football drama? Browns and OSU lost - so that means more time to gouge on popcorn and drink adult beverages at the sports bar. LOL

However, I wondered what happened to JTF. She is my favorite Aussie. Actually I like Aussies - they are very cool with great accents! LOL. My FAVORITE MAN of all time is an Aussie. We want and need more Aussie input.

I just don't care anymore. Life is too short and I just play and purchase what I like. I am not a middle-aged professional woman but a young "hottie" - again LOL. I like to play these games as a way to go "brain dead." However, I actually think I have gone brain dead from playing some of these games.

Geesh BF. Almost EVERYONE has grown tired of these "childish" games. Boy - is this one stubborn game company or what?

PLEASE BRING BACK THE GREAT GAMES FROM MY HIGH SCHOOL DAYS! We all miss them. However, I must admit we ARE ALL like "hens" in the coop. So much squabbling. Chill out ladies!

Now BF - let us summarize what we have learned from this discussion:

1. We are mainly woman on this site - not children. Some of us are younger, hotter, and cuter than others but no matter.

2. We are TIRED of "helpers" of any kind. Personally, if I have to have one, I want one like the blonde cutie from a couple of games ago if you are going to provide one. I do not want a pet dog (and I really dislike the droolers -although I defend their right to exist as an outstanding member of the ASPCA) , cat, robot, bat, crow, fish, or anything else.

3. Personally if we HAVE TO HAVE helpers can they look like Chris Hemsworth (minus the stubble). He's married but you should create a single on just for "moi."

4. We don't want to play "dress up." Well - maybe some do - but I personally am not into that.

5.. We want more CHALLENGING GAMES. Personally, I want more puzzle and adventure games and less HOP games.

Personally, I don't understand why your marketing department? doesn't survey your members to find out what they LIKE and DISLIKE about your games
This way, you can make an educated stab at providing Tony Tiger G-R-E-A-T games!

I really don't care. There are many other game sites and I will purchase what I enjoy. It seems BF has hired some OLD ex-elementary teacher to run the gaming dept. YUK!

IF IT ISN'T BROKEN - DON'T FIX IT! - AND BF HAS!

Edited on 09/07/2014 at 4:41:28 PM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 7, 14 5:09 PM
I disagree with your list of "what we all learned." Unless we had a poll that I missed.

However, I would enjoy an attractive male helper.

Edited for clarification: While I may agree with some of the points on the list, I don't agree with "what we all learned" since there are thousands, possibly tens of thousands of game players here and only a handful have expressed their opinions.

Edited on 09/09/2014 at 3:29:59 PM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 7, 14 5:33 PM
I disagree with your list of "what we all learned." Unless we had a poll that I missed.

I took the majority of opinions witnessed here and tried to summarize them. Sorry if you don't agree and that is your right.

Again - life is too short and I really don't have time for these "chat" forums. I have been on this site 7 years and only give reviews. Why? Way too much rude behavior shown to others. Way, way too much disagreement. I personally cannot tolerate nor will engage in "negativity."

However - unlike others - I won't be intimidated or driven off this site! I have been here for years and have seen many "commentators" come and go. Some on this site "bully" others. However, in high school I was part of student council who studied and enacted rules concerning bullying. Lesson #1 - Never cower in front of a bully! So - anyone can say what they want about "moi" - I am NOT going anywhere unless BF asks me to not review anymore.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 7, 14 6:31 PM
3- Oh... not this one! I don't care for Chris Hemsworth's looks. Give me Sean Bean, which shows I'm older! My young adult daughter had a crush on Alistair in Dragon Age, and would pick him for her "helper." (I just asked her.) Maybe it's the accents we Americans like!

Oh - yes twinsoniclab. Foreign men have the "edge" over American men. I am a sucker for accents. Aussie accents are very sexy and most of the "blokes" are sweethearts. Aussie men are gentlemen and adventurous. Those guys are definitely NOT WIMPS! However I think Liam, Chris' younger brother is a little too young, I guess Miley Cyrus is back with him again? Well - she can keep him. Now - Chris is just a little older and is definitely buff. Wouldn't you think it would be great idea for BF to allow us to CHOOSE our helper which we could keep with us as we play future games? LOL

BTW - talking about our favorite Aussie on this site - maybe we should start a petition to bring her back. Hey - JTF - don't let the sharks and trolls (bullies) drive you off. I am a big aficionada of your reviews! You write the "BESTEST" reviews on this site. I used to read them before playing the game - being a "late" reviewer.

We are missing many of the great reviewers who have left! What is "moi" supposed to do? I LOVE reading all your reviews so I have some idea what the game is about.

A big thanks to all of you reviewers! No matter who your favorite is - everyone benefits from your comments - including the BF staff, I am certain.

Now I need to go back to work prep for tomorrow. I just get so "giddy (up)" when I think about those cute Aussie men (and most don't have stubbly faces) LOL

Edited on 09/07/2014 at 6:35:53 PM PST

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Sep 7, 14 7:39 PM
While I wouldn't want every game to have an animal helper I do enjoy them if they're well done and add to the game. I loved Isis from Fate's Carnival and Bandit in the latest Dana Knightstone. Mr. Jenkins in Ominous Objects was also fun.

I hate anthropomorphized animal helpers that dress up in human clothes, walk on their hind paws, and/or talk. I also don't like ones that wiggle around when not actively involved in game play or that jump into the game uninvited.

I definitely agree with those above who spoke about wanting more challenge in the games. I've started rummaging in Big Fish's attic looking for the older ones because they're usually a lot more challenging and have a lot more HOS. It's so disappointing to me when I play a HOPA and it has only a handful of HOS. It's equally disappointing when every single puzzle or HOS is very, very easy. Having games designed for beginners or for relaxing game play is fine but lately it seems that most games being offered are that type. It would be nice if there were a little more variety so that people could play a game that matches their skill level and mood more closely.

Go to: