EOTR
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

Re:An Urgent Letter to Big Fish Games

[Post New]by EOTR on Sep 22, 14 11:11 AM
Dear bfgMurrumbidgee,

I mean no disrespect, sir, because I have enjoyed this game immensely until recently.
You say that you are certain the developers appreciate our passion and dedication. But this discussion, and many others on the forum, are about frustration and disappointment.

Can you give us a glimmer of hope that the upcoming levels now in development will offer more of the entertainment of the lower levels, and less of the mind-numbing tedium of late?

Please give us a reason to hang on. We want to.

Thank you for listening, and best wishes,
Jhuppie

Bedazzles
Clownfish
Clownfish
567 Posts

[Post New]by Bedazzles on Sep 22, 14 11:13 AM
Here is the definition of Marathon…something (such as an event or activity) that lasts an extremely long time or that requires great effort.

As I see it this game is designed for Marathon runners and not Sprinters! Perhaps some of the players that consider themselves Marathon runners are actually Sprinters and are upset that you have to do HOS over and over.(Which that is and always has been the entire concept of this game!) I personally consider myself a Marathon runner who just keeps running through every HOS to gather much needed elements for the game. For example the quest requiring 3 Bracelets of Seeing…this was a breeze for me as I had in inventory plenty of all of the items to open the Book of Evil, because I had searched all of those HOS even when a quest didn’t take me there so I would be able to build inventory!! It does not matter if you are a fast Marathon runner or a slow one…it is all about doing the same thing over and over…hence Marathon…

We all know full well that if you could just breeze through everything and never had to actually work for anything…NO ONE would play this game! With that being said…and anyone who has read my posts know I feel there are improvements needed to enhance overall game play! I wont go into all of those here.

I feel that this letter like Guppies is far to reaching and should be more tailored for each specific game that individuals or groups of players have.

In closing I feel that we all agree on certain things that need improvement and we should not get involved in bickering, but stating what we would like to see improved. I for one would love to see this game continue for a very very long time. We also need to be realistic in our requests for improvement, some in this letter are very much needed. I am not personally in disagreement with much that is said, but mostly the terminology of Marathon and Sprinter.

NoFishToday
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by NoFishToday on Sep 22, 14 11:27 AM
bfgMurrumbidgee wrote:G'day,

I wanted to take a moment to drop in and connect with our free to play community in light of the threads that have been started.

On behalf of the moderators, thank you for taking the time to construct such a detailed and well-thought out list of feedback and suggestions. I am certain that the developers appreciate your passion and dedication, as much as our team does.

We do ask that all posts adhere to the <a href ="http://forums.bigfishgames.com/faqs/list.page"> Forum rules </a> at all times, to ensure that we can continue to have constructive and positive discussions.

Each game and each developer is different and the changes and improvements that are able to be made can vary. These posts have been shared with the appropriate parties for further consideration, and we truly appreciate the feedback we receive.

bfgMurrumbidgee

Thank you bfgMurrumbidgee. It is much appreciated that you read and responded. I hope that you, and the rest of the folks at BigFish to whom this letter was addressed, will truly consider some of our ideas and concerns. This comes from passion for our games (in my case, Midnight Castle and Awakening Kingdoms, from which I am sadly currently on hiatus due to recent updates), and nothing more. We truly want to be here for a long time to come, and hope that BF, and the devs will team up with the players so that we can achieve a win-win situation for all.

guppies56
Clownfish
Clownfish
798 Posts

[Post New]by guppies56 on Sep 22, 14 11:45 AM
Vlania wrote:Hi everyone, in the weeks it took to gather the information, collate it, organize it, write and rewrite this letter, we edited and condensed, trying to make this concise and represent 16 games and their forums. Not an easy task. Guppies, I think you may be right about trying to do too much. That was all my idea, I didn't want to leave anyone out. So many of the original ideas were put to the side and it killed me every time. We tried not to offend players but I see now that we failed at this. Trying to get across the main problems, which a lot of you are reinforcing, we failed in our word choices. I apologize for that. Big Fish is targeting the people who are playing the levels easily by buying their way through the hard parts, we named them "sprinters". As opposed to those who put in the work to get through the levels, we named them "marathon runners". The last thing I wanted was a fight, causing people not to act. My hope is that people will take the sections that they agree with and send them to the people that can fix this. That's all I wanted to do. Fix it. Keep the forum whole.

Anessa

Hi Vlania,
Sorry if you thought I had been offended as nothing could be further from the truth, I was just baffled regarding the terminology of the letter and some-what confused as to the meaning of the letter and what your aims were as it really addressed very little, although I wasn't aware at the time you were addressing all FTP games which I personally believe was a mistake, each game must be treated individually if you wish to be taken seriously with the said complaint.
Each game forum should have voiced (in writing) their own particular gripes with any individual games as a collective of one forum and not a mish mash of all forums and FTP games. I apologise if i've offended you because I do appreciate the time and effort you have all put in, but you could maybe have achieved so much more had you not decided to diversify and group all games together. Please don't take offence as none is intended this is just my opinion.

Maria

Vlania
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,160 Posts

[Post New]by Vlania on Sep 22, 14 11:48 AM
Thank you Murrumbidgee for your kind letter. I saw that our post was taken down from 8 forums and I was told why. I didn't mean to break the rules. I didn't want to leave anyone out. I'm not sure how to reach those 8 and not break the rules.
I understand that these things take time and we've urged them to take that time, we're willing to wait for them to code well. I don't want our Dwellers to go. I just wanted to try and fix it.

Edited on 09/22/2014 at 12:37:13 PM PST

cabega
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by cabega on Sep 22, 14 11:53 AM
The F2P games lost qualitiy with the beginning of the daily bonus.

MC

The permanantly recharging of the HOS, 1 hour is more than to long
needing so many different resources of the same HOS is stupid waiting
pay the hard earned coins to make things is to much

Why send airships?
Why feed pet?
It makes no sence for me.

thats why I only play MC if I have problems with the AK-F2P-game

AK

the stars you must get to reach the next level is enormous
you have to find dozen of the same items, athough you have 50 in your stockpile
bankprices are a way to high

For example what you need to finish the minigames of only 1 building

10 + 20 + 40 = 70
15 + 30 + 60 = 105
20 + 40 + 80 = 140
25 + 50 + 100 = 175
30 + 60 + 120 = 210
35 + 70 + 140 = 245
40 + 80 + 160 = 280
45 + 90 + 180 = 325
50 + 100 + 200 = 350
55 + 110 + 220 = 385
60 + 120 + 240 = 420
65 + 130 + 260 = 455
70 + 140 + 280 = 510
75 + 150 + 300 = 525
80 + 160 + 320 = 560

You need 4755 of one ressource
to finish all minigames at only 1 building

You have on the different town stages
3 buildings = 14.265
4 buildings = 19.020
4 buildings
4 buildings

for all the buildings to finish all minigames you need 71.325 ressouces!!!

not included all the other items you need to finish quests

For all the items you need from dreamless pond, moonfell chamber and so on you have to use very high consumption of energy

I think all of the games have to get in a more userkonform style.
All the costs are way to high for a F2P-Game!!!

All those games a beautyful and great games, if we could play them like all other adventure- and HO-games.

I would swear, if we can play without
- waiting for recharging,
- collecting so many items
- have to play in 24 hours once, to don't loose rewards play days in a row
- paying for creating things we need

we all would have more fun and joy in this kind of games.

If we concentrate to only collecting, waiting, finding and walking around,
we forget about the story that is standng in the beginning.

In AK the story is better to remember.
But in MC I don't know what story it is I'm playing!

temp_89120
Catfish
Catfish
1,631 Posts

[Post New]by temp_89120 on Sep 22, 14 11:55 AM
I played MC in January and February. Got frustrated and stopped. Played a little more and ended at Level 25. Since then I've been playing Dark Manor. Vlania was kind enough to post her letter on DM's forum and I thank her for that. It was garnering posts when it was locked.

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Sep 22, 14 11:12 AM
Hey Everyone

Thank you all for your feedback and concerns about the games. It looks like this thread has been created in multiple forums though, so we’re dedicating one of the threads to this topic to keep the discussion focused in one place, so no comments are overlooked.

This thread will need to be locked in order to keep the conversation focused in that thread, and if you’d like to join in the discussion, I’ve included the following link to the open thread:

An Urgent Letter to Big Fish Games

Thank you all for understanding!

bfgVaiya

MC and DM have different game developers but some similar problems. If you'd like, you can read through some of our rants ( http://forums.bigfishgames.com/forums/show/3392.page ).

cabega
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by cabega on Sep 22, 14 11:57 AM
I play now for 7 years as am BFGC-Member,
but this is the first kind of game that lost with every update its charme.

Its sad, because if you know the AK-games and played the F2P-Games from the beginning, you know what I mean.

Why are AK and MC the best F2P-Games?

Because the story is nice and the pictures, the drawings, graphics,
how ever you call it, are really georgeous!

[Post New]by angelannie on Sep 22, 14 2:03 PM
I fully agree spent ages crafting energy etc. built up quite a lot and would really appreciate an update to Agency 33 and awakening kingdom without all the glitches.

[Post New]by Charon46 on Sep 22, 14 5:07 PM
I agree with all complaints about Midnight Castle. I came to the forum today to announce that I was leaving the game, and was glad to see this post. I want to thank the players that became friends for their gifts, and say goodbye. I'm leaving for all the reasons listed in this post, but especially because the increasing blocks to advancing kills all motivation to play. I'm motivated by new scenes and there's just no getting there in this game.

Charon

temp_89120
Catfish
Catfish
1,631 Posts

[Post New]by temp_89120 on Sep 22, 14 5:32 PM
Just wanted to bring over my post from Dark Manor.

[Post New]by temp_89120 on Sep 21, 14 11:45 PM
Hi Vlania,

Will you be posting this on Facebook as well?

eastendteddy
Salmon
Salmon
2,821 Posts

[Post New]by eastendteddy on Sep 22, 14 6:40 PM
I am really at a lose for words here,,, the brunt of the letter was to gain attention from MC, Elephant Games there dev, and to the FTP games mostly MC.something we have been complaing about for a very long time now TO FIX what we find is not only wrong but an insult to our intel.... we are not children but I personally feel like I am being treated like one at times..I read this post and was all I could see is NOT the days and weeks of work, research,time and energy that Vlania put into this letter but ( yes there are ones that thanked her ) two phrashes where picked out and hammered to H***, (sprinter and marathon runer) WTH.... just what other words would you use to describe ??
*Spinter in these FTP games are ones that play as fast as they can to get to the end and say I DONE IT where as *we* Marathon runers are willing to take the time to play the game from start to one day the finish,,,what we are griping about is NOTHING has been really fixed and rewards?? pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee what rewards??we just want out beautifull game back that gave us hours of pleasure instead of hours of Z boredome.Also as the DEV's are finding out it is *the older players who are still with them although not as many * and will keep loseing if the game is NOT fixed, at 69 years young I am NOT into smash them blew them up games I want MC back..is that to much to ask??

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Sep 22, 14 7:29 PM
eastendeddy -
there is no way anyone can be a sprinter in Midnight Castle
To "sprint: would require buying thousands of dollars of diamonds and I doubt there are many people in the world prepared to do that.

Those of us on the upper levels 44 now- have got there by hard work, determination and playing the game just like anyone else but harder and put in more hours, played more HOG scenes and possibly strategised more efficiently.

The constant claims it is those folks fault BF/Elephant throw out these boring updates is offensive and I think we are tired of the blame thrown at us.

Where are these posts begging for updates? Last time I saw such thing on the forum here was when folks bored waiting for updates started word games and such to pass time- since then everyone that finished an update has patiently waited-
only the IOS folks have inquired when they will get their equivalent update.

The letter implies those that have worked harder at the game and up to date are being catered to and this is not so. We are bored with the game- moreso than anyone as we have played the game more - no sprinting- hard work and better marathon runners as Bedazzles described this:

As I see it this game is designed for Marathon runners and not Sprinters! Perhaps some of the players that consider themselves Marathon runners are actually Sprinters and are upset that you have to do HOS over and over.(Which that is and always has been the entire concept of this game!)

Everyone wants more variety and things to do in MC- whatever level they are at.

[Post New]by llaurelwreath on Sep 22, 14 8:09 PM
I agree we need more quality and new achievements and mini-games to keep us interested in future updates. I'm at level 44 now and I am bored with this last quest from Lillian. I am tired of having to go 20-30 times to the binding egg and every single update we've received since the Bow Figurine has done this type of thing to us.

I used to spend money for diamonds (won't spend any money for coins) so I could advance more quickly because I wanted to see how the storyline played out. I haven't purchased anything for this game in several months and will not until I see that the developers are trying to improve the quality of the updates.

Vlania
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,160 Posts

[Post New]by Vlania on Sep 22, 14 8:55 PM
Hi temp, no, I don't have accounts with Facebook, Twitter, etc. so I won't be posting there. I'll leave that up to others.
Govegril, we used the wrong words to describe the players. I apologized before on I think page 2 but will do so again. We used the word "sprinters" to describe the people who are easily moving through the levels by buying their way through (Big Fish's target audience right now). "Marathon runners" describe the players doing the hard work to level up. The letter is saying that the marathon runners are asking to be rewarded with quality updates, blame rests squarely on the back of Big Fish Games. Since this letter is also encompassing 16 affected FTP games and their forums, there are statements that will apply to some and not so much to others. The cry for updates is one of those. There hasn't been any of that here in MC for a while.

Vlania
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,160 Posts

[Post New]by Vlania on Sep 22, 14 9:00 PM
A big thank you goes to the visitors from others forums on our fair Isle. We welcome you to our Kingdom. We know you've traveled a long way and appreciate the effort. Some of our Dwellers have refreshments waiting for you at Salty's Tavern just in front of the Castle.

apollogold
Catfish
Catfish
1,584 Posts

[Post New]by apollogold on Sep 22, 14 10:05 PM
I would like to state a few problems that I came across today while playing the game. First of all, the developers need to Fix The Glitches before sending out another up-date! We have all had problems with the flowers not dropping the coins. Just today, I had 10 failed drops! That is 100 coins that I feel like I was cheated out of. I've gotten to the point of...Why Bother. Also, Items keep vanishing from the inventory wish list. Again, today the Banner of Loyalty is missing from my list.
I am at the point where I need to craft 2Mirror of Clear Sight and 1 Flask of Miracles. It calls for 4 Banner of Loyalty - 4 Shield of Honor - 4 Mask of Virtue - 4 Devil's Glove - 6 Raven's Eye and 6 Fungus Among Us. AND they all come from just 2 areas! The Gaming Table and the Armor and Banners! I feel like I'm back at the Bow. Please developers, try giving us a better variety of quests. Let us use some of the new items we have collected and take us to new areas for these quests in the next up-date, but... Fix the glitches first. The flower glitch has been happening since day one. Thank You... apollogold Shadow in the castle.

[Post New]by cuz88fox on Sep 22, 14 10:24 PM
I have just deleted mc from my games for the reasons stated before: disappearing inventory, monotonous travels to the same HOSs with the same objects to find, too many quests for the same HOS at the same time. I decided to cut my losses of time and money and just move on.

[Post New]by sheilamilo on Sep 22, 14 10:54 PM
I, too, started in January. At first it was so fun! The time needed to recharge was decent, the rewards were level with the needs, the graphics and story compelling, the community very supportive.

Then came the glitches, lock-outs, inventory loss, the dreaded Six-Paws and Pirate Pete area... Those latter areas were made easier, but the new areas are tremendously expensive, and stamps elusive. There are so many areas that aren't being used, while others are being overworked.

I spent money (1 game-equivalent) each month until things went bad. Then waited to see what would happen. Things got better so I spent money. Now things are dismal again and the community is rapidly shrinking.

Effort should equal return, or you'll lose all of your business. Please make it fun and doable! (and if I NEVER need a Blood Lotus again I'll be happy).

IKacey
Clownfish
Clownfish
735 Posts

[Post New]by IKacey on Sep 22, 14 11:22 PM
I think this letter needed to be posted and read. As Vlania said it took a lot of hard work and research to put together everyone's difficulties. Being on of those people who are willing to spend money and time and effort to finish the full course of the game I am, as said earlier, passionate about the quality of the game. The other players working their way through, ie. Marathon runners are not blamed here for the problems. The developers and publishers are being asked to hear what our problems are and to work on those so people stop leaving and the game is supported to continue. Maybe it confused some people because it was trying to give a voice to all the FTP players but its purpose is clear - to let the developers and publishers be aware of what is causing players to leave in record numbers and more getting there and hopefully fix the game(s) so that stops and maybe even some of the players leaving will come back. I play MC and I did play AK. I loved the graphics music concept of the game and storyline. I do believe if I want something there is no free lunch so I pay what I can each month which in turn made the game a little easier for me. Then rotten quality changes starting hitting with each update. I loved both games before that. I felt we just weren't being heard in AK so I left as no fixes ever appeared just more torments and I am not into self torment and haven't been in my 58 years.

They once listened to us in MC and fixed that awful Bow Figurine/Six Paws mess. I really love this game but had left and when they fixed it I returned and have stayed. I have hopes that they will listen to us here and once again make this a wonderfully entertaining game to play, deserving of our financial support. I have posted several times that I think the name Free To Play is a name that creates misunderstanding. It is more of a Free to Enter and Pay as you Play thing but that's a long title. It used to be that there was a great balance in the game as the people putting it on got money to support it and the players were able to progress with a speed that was interesting even if some work was required. I hope this letter brings that state of things back for all the players. Thank you Vlania for posting this.

Go to: