How Come?

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

Re:How Come?

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Oct 11, 14 3:18 AM
I wasn't going to say anything more after what I said recently, but I need to get a final few words off my chest here.

Firstly, about the whole 'too much hype for this game' thing: isn't there an explanation somewhere in the threads for this particular game where Wendwater explains the reason why? Namely, the developers write the synopsis and send them to Big Fish. This is totally logical, because for Big Fish to publish something without the devs' permission is a breach of copyright. There's many a time I've seen the exact same blurb on a dev's website.

Second, I totally agree with PlainJayne and it goes back to what I said a little while ago... we need to get things into perspective here and not take these games so seriously as to become a matter of 'life and death'. There's enough of that going on in the real world, and our own trials and tribulations in life with ill health, money woes, caring for others etc.

Persistent Cat - you have my utmost sympathy, as do you Sapphire. I share your pain. I won't go into it, but four years ago I was a basketcase due to losing every single close family member left to me within months, or even weeks, of each other. I came through it a very different person and now I look on what's left of life as something to live and not to gripe about. Not always easy by any means, but doable most of the time.

That's why so many of us escape into these games and don't mind a silly helper - heck, to me a helper can be as silly as it likes.

I totally agree that negativity breeds negativity, Tookat. It's so obvious from the threads. It all seems to go one way, then someone has the guts to go against the flow by saying they really like X, Y and Z and all of a sudden the rollercoaster ascends again from that low, low dip.

And yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion and review / comments, whichever way that goes. It's all good. To me it's only ever in the delivery so as not to make those of us who enjoy what others denigrate as being stupid or dumb feel like idiots. That's it and that's all.

The only other thing for me is: I still like the games (I guess I'm lucky that I like multiple genres so there's always something for me) and I still think this is a great company. The day I dislike the games so much all I want to do is write negative stuff is the day I'll go elsewhere. Simple really. And, no, I'm not a BFG cheerleader (been accused of that before LOL).

Edited on 10/11/2014 at 3:23:51 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Oct 11, 14 3:38 AM
Thank you

To the people who have stood up for happiness and fair weather!

Let's go PLAY these wonderful games, not throw punches at them or ourselves!

God how I love to play BFG games!!

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Oct 11, 14 4:52 AM
I love playing BF games too, JTF. And I'm more than grateful for being able to buy and play them. These games are a source of happiness and entertainment for me and at times, when life gets too hard to handle, I find comfort in them and a way to escape for a little while. For me, this is the only part that really matters when it comes to games and what they have to offer - fun, recreation, escapism.

A big thank you for me too, to all the people in this thread who have stood up for positivity, describing so aptly what games should be about and what not.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 11, 14 3:14 PM
My panties are never in a bunch.

If I like a game, I say why.
If I don't like a game, I say why.

Maybe it's because I used to be a deputy health officer and had to write up companies for violations. Maybe I see things that most people don't see and don't care about. Maybe I look too deeply. I don't know.

I mean no offense to any person. I don't even know anyone who works for BF and I don't know anyone who posts here and I don't know any players at all. Not one.

But (there is always a "but") this game does not deserve the hype it is receiving. MCF Dire Grove deserved it; well, not hype but those glowing reviews. Mystery Trackers, except for the last glitch-filled disaster, kinda deserves it, too.

I'm permanently disabled and in chronic pain and have been for many years. If I did not have these games I don't know what I would do. I don't go anywhere and I don't do anything because I can't - except I can play computer games while I am bed-bound (which is exactly what I am today).

If anyone was offended by any comment I have ever posted, I am sorry. Offending anyone is not my intention. As a consumer and BFG member, I believe I have the right to post my opinion just as everyone has the right to post their opinion.

Now I'm going to go play "Puppy Sanctuary" or maybe "Return to Ravenhearst".

Edited on 10/11/2014 at 3:48:37 PM PST

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Oct 11, 14 4:13 PM
I am bed bound and deteriorating....one of my medications for chronic pain is rotting my teeth which hurt all the time......in spite of the pain medication that I have to take or my legs and arms will spasm and jump out of control.

I have lived with chronic pain since 1989 and kept working two jobs in order to save for my retirement.....and I spent about ten years angry and depressed all the time because my life was being stolen from me.

The best thing that ever happened to me in that time period was my abusive husband who blamed me for being sick instead of helping me left.....and I spent the next seven years in therapy, because his leaving triggered flashbacks of buried memories of abuse. The flashbacks were the sort that I relived the memories physically as if they were happening again, and I still have them. Those memories include a gang rape when I was fifteen that was explained away to me as a bad acid trip. I never thought I would pull out of the depression and anger I felt.

One of the great things that happened to me over those 7 years was that my therapist convinced me that dwelling on my pain, anger and depression, that dwelling on the horrible condition of the world and my life was putting me in a negativity feedback loop. Luck had brought me, you see, to a therapist who did behavior therapy as well as talk therapy.

I meditate every day, and often several times a day.....and I do not say what I feel all the time because it is my right. When I did do that, I lost friends left and right....and the friends I kept, were clones of me, angry people, many of whom were abusive. I took the abuse my husband fed me, and fed it to my students and my clients.....they did not particularly want to be around me and I did not particularly want to be around my "friends" who were bringing me down.

I will just follow my practice of ignoring the posts of the many angry and negative people here who feel it is their right to rain on everyone else's parade until I see a thread like this one....and have to speak out because the silence of the people who still believe in positivity or who like what is happening in the games should be heard, but many of those people detest conflict and are fleeing the forums rather than speaking out.

You want an opinion? I have plenty of them....and many of you are nothing better than bullies with your "I don't want to insult or pain anyone BUT, I HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY WHAT I FEEL". It is bullying plain and simple.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 11, 14 5:36 PM
I just spent most of the morning playing the new CE and then I came back to this one. Even though Paranormal Pursuit is a good game, this one is better. I'm amazed at scenes that include blowing curtains when you move your cursor over them, the artwork is absolutely stunning. And as the little companion's story starts to emerge, I appreciate even more the writing abilities of these game makers.

Just a really great game.

On a side note, I think it's funny that I had a post edited for being offensive when I was using someone else's words. Hmmm

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Oct 11, 14 6:39 PM
WOAH......

I think we all need to calm down! It's JUST A GAME!

How did my post of "Why does this game get so much hype?" turn in to this? I was in no way making any offensive comments, nor was I saying I disliked this game. How did all these negative comments come about? I actually enjoyed the game.

I simply pointed out I didn't think it was fair to give one game an advantage by posting BETA comments on the main game page.I would prefer it if it were to appear on all games' pages or not at all.

I've created a monster. Stop with the bullying and negativity! I somehow feel this is my fault for starting the discussion.

Edited on 10/11/2014 at 6:40:09 PM PST

Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Oct 12, 14 12:20 AM
Wow, so many really strong people on this forum
Tookat you're an amazing person. My heart goes out to you .

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Oct 12, 14 11:55 PM
Brendansoma1 wrote:Wow, so many really strong people on this forum
Tookat you're an amazing person. My heart goes out to you .

Thank you Brendansoma.
I try not to make an issue of my condition. Really, I have made my peace with it, and in spite of it all, I am one of the happiest people you will meet, and it comes from focusing on things positive......believe me, if I focused on, oh...the pain in my teeth after I have tried eating, then I could be, easily the person I once was....easily unhappy, and going into rages about anything.

I really don't care about whether they use beta testing as advertising hype or not.
Catbag wanted to express his seeming outrage at having some advertising ploy forced on him.....and opened up another thread for those people who I look at as basically unhappy, to complain about the more or less meaning less things they choose to distract themselves from whatever their real pain is.....and usually, I have noticed that for most people who experience anger or dissatisfaction so easily, it is some emotional thing in their lives that they are not even aware of.....but, they make sure that everyone in the world knows that they have an opinion.

These are JUST GAMES, and someone going on and on about hating animal helpers is not IMHO, angry about animal helpers....and refusing to play a game because of one aspect of it, is being controlled not by the minds they profess to be so proud of, as being uncontrolled in their emotions.

People in these forums seem to get in a furor about expressing their personal opinions at the drop of a hat.....and the things they chose to express their opinions on, are really small to any person who has had to repair themselves and carry on their lives after a rape.....or surviving cancer for instance....and I am a two times cancer survivor to boot.

I might live in bed.....and have failing health, but I don't consider myself sick, and I don't consider either my past, my present or my future to be bleak, or to be pitied....
but, I am sick and tired of people expressing their free will to their own opinion in ways that are anything but actually personal, or saying that they were just being humorous, when their humor was actually a way of putting down anyone who did not agree with their opinions.
If anyone objects, there is an entire clique who is invested in accepting each other as having the correct attitudes to anything, and the rest of us are 'overly sensitive'.

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Oct 13, 14 6:55 AM
LAST <~~~~(word)

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 13, 14 11:27 AM
catbag8717 wrote:WOAH......

I think we all need to calm down! It's JUST A GAME!

How did my post of "Why does this game get so much hype?" turn in to this? I was in no way making any offensive comments, nor was I saying I disliked this game. How did all these negative comments come about? I actually enjoyed the game.

I simply pointed out I didn't think it was fair to give one game an advantage by posting BETA comments on the main game page.I would prefer it if it were to appear on all games' pages or not at all.

I've created a monster. Stop with the bullying and negativity! I somehow feel this is my fault for starting the discussion.

You didn't do anything wrong. Sometimes people get angry and upset. It's not your fault. You do have the right to start a thread and to post your opinion. You did not attack anyone and you made no offensive comments.

I think the best thing is to just let it go. I just want to say that I like your threads and your posts.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Oct 13, 14 12:31 PM
MissAbby wrote:LAST <~~~~(word)

Would you please elucidate, Miss Abby? Thank you....

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Oct 14, 14 1:38 AM
MissAbby wrote:LAST <~~~~(word)

If it is not too much to ask, I would like to know what this comment means as well, please.

va83
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by va83 on Oct 18, 14 11:04 AM
To: plainjayne55 Honey, you absolutely ROCK!

Your post was spot-on in stating what BFG is all about for pc gamers. Our lives are way too short, and complicated to be fussing/cussing about silly computer games.

The elderly people in your care are truly Blessed to have you. Singing and being silly with senior folks is very fun, and you're so right that it makes your day when they are smiling for a few moments. I'm thrilled to know I'm not the only person who "makes silly" for elderly folks.

So, for all you negative gamers, plainjayne55 has a lesson for y'all: please don't fuss about stuff that ain't worth the energy.

Happy Gaming to all!

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Oct 18, 14 7:24 PM
So I may only be a minnow but I've been swimming around for a loooong time; before CE's even existed and back when everything was only "full screen" LOL; so obviously I don't chime in often but just have to put my 2 cents in. Most of what's been going on seems to be behind the scenes with a handful of Negative Nancy's that send absolutely hostile PM messages to reviewers that they just don't agree with (and yes, I have read a couple of them). That's insanity. If you got personal emails worded like these, you'd be looking for an attorney. As if that wasn't enough, they then complain to the mods about said reviewers and apparently get their way and get certain reviewers or their reviews blocked or removed. This childish behavior has driven away some of the fishies' reviews that I have always loved to read. This used to be such a fun community and I love, love all the happy fishes that continue to swim! And yes, I do enjoy celebrating fellow fishes when they "morph" into a new form!

On a maybe sad note, this negativity has become so pervasive that I think the mods should just eliminate the reviews thread entirely. Seriously. It's just a game folks and we all enjoy different elements of them. Attacking people for their thoughts is uncalled for.

But back to the original topic, I thought that was odd too, but every dev gets to toot it's own horn to sell us on their new baby (er, release I mean!). I happened to enjoy this one, but I like a diverse amount of games for very different reasons.

And now, back to cooking my split pea soup perfection!

Go to: