nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS here for Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's Edit

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Nov 27, 14 7:59 PM
When I began to play this game, I very much loved it even though it wasn't the same MCF I know (knew) and loved. However, the longer I played, I became less interested and increasingly frustrated with the convuluted storyline. What is going on? I don't know, and at this point, I don't care. What finally killed all my enthusiasm was the the use of (spoiler) some stupid gadget. I HATE gadgets like this as they are stupid, childish, and used as a filler, in my opinion. So now I'm feeling that MCF is finished; the MCF I first knew would not have to resort to this mundane use of objects that is just absolutely nonsense. In addition, the redundancy of (spoiler) returning to the problem-solving board reminded me of Shadlow Lake--which I loathed. This is an Elephant Game, pure and simple, with just the title of MCF. There was no fun, no humor, and no scares. The one saving grace of this game were the super puzzles which I enjoy and am amazed how creative these are. But...I wish I could take back the 4 stars I gave it earlier.

Re:Please post your REVIEWS here for Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's Edit

[Post New]by hiddenduck on Nov 28, 14 6:13 AM
I thought it was a standard, slightly different Mystery Trackers game. Oh wait...

Things i liked:
Some of the same rooms/locations as Dire Grove #1. You get to go back into the hotel, garage, bridge, etc.
The mini games, although I prefer some logic in how to solve them, and some now seem like you just do random stuff no one would ever guess without the strategy guide.

Things I could care less on: The people/characters. I do not like live actors, but in this case it would have been ok.
Can't speak to music/atmosphere, as I play all these games on mute.
Strategy guide could be a little more detailed, but I see why they wanted to cut out showing where every object was in a HO scene.

Things I do not like, which the MCF games used to do better on:
Different types of things ways to find with each successive game (put together a map, use a flashlight, morphing objects, etc.

This has steadily been a problem and this is by far the worst issue for me: It is listed under "Hidden Object Games." It is actually a "Run around and pick up objects and hope you remember which of them goes where later" game. There were not near enough HO scenes, and when there were half of them consisted of finding pairs of objects.

The best I can say about this game is that it is meh. At least it didn't inspire me to the CPU-throwing levels of disgust that was Shadow Lake. (Talk about dam*ing with faint praise...)

Catwm
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Catwm on Nov 28, 14 11:20 AM
There will never be another original Dire Grove, it was the best.
I finished the demo and would probably purchase the game.

There are puzzle pieces, morphing objects, and model buildings to collect. The built in help section and guide are great. The sound effects and graphics were clear and the music did not get on my nerves like some games.

You can choose from 5 different game modes ( level of play ) and you have the option of being a male or female detective.

I can see that there is interaction with characters as well as an alternate ending to the game, video, wallpapers and of course an achievement room.

Lemonia
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Lemonia on Nov 28, 14 1:51 PM
It's an ok MCF, but not in the top three. I liked that nothing made me jump out of my skin (I hate being scared like that), but I still missed the overall creepy feeling some of the other games gave me while playing. I missed the morphing objects, but the mini games were ok although I wish they required more logic.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS here for Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's Edi

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Nov 29, 14 8:21 AM
darkhalf01 wrote:Unfortunately I'm with the majority here. MFC was something I looked forward to at this time every year. When Elephant took over MCF last year I was apprehensive, but I loved Fate's Carnival, so this year I was hoping for something great...alas, it was not to be. Definitely too much hand-holding. The step-by-step puzzles were hard, but didn't really make much sense, and just became frustrating. Nothing grabbed me in the gameplay or storyline. Overall, I found the game rather boring. Looks like MFC has become just another game

Ditto!!!!!! For a MFC game it is WAY too linear. Gone are the days of aimlessly wandering through every location multiple times because you had no clue what to do next. Now you have one place on the map that shows you where to go next. That's definitely NOT MFC material.

I found those step-by-step puzzles very frustrating, too. Rather illogical and the fact that when you reset you have to start again from the very beginning.

cwy2009
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

Expectedly good, but need some breakthroughs in the series

[Post New]by cwy2009 on Nov 29, 14 9:54 AM
This is another high-quality game from Elephant Games, but as some have said here, many of EG's games have a sort of "sameness" to them. Please note that it's good to keep making great games, but if they look, feel, and play like one another, then it's not that great.

So I believe the MCF series needs some breakthroughs. This series used to be known for its innovations: Goldberg puzzles, H.O. scene within a H.O. scene, videos with live actors, morphing objects, etc. You even made a game with 360-degree panoramic view called "Mystery in London: On the Trail of Jack the Ripper":

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/2425/mystery-in-london/index.html?src=frmgameimg&osdetect=true

Its 360-degree view worked pretty darn well, so I would love to see it brought back.

The casual game genre, by its nature, is pretty sparse in features, so it should be easy to add new innovations. I know you don't want to make your games too technically demanding for players with old PCs and basic PC skills. But you can't stop innovating, whether in technical qualities, qualities of the puzzles and storytelling, or the settings, or the looks, etc. Look at your "Drawn" games; they are unlike any other games. And that "down home" feel in "The 13th Skull" is also unique.

Speaking of which, I would also like more games to be set in America. I know a lot of your developers are Europeans, but it just seems that a lot of their games are set either in Europe (including Britain) or fantasy lands.

Edited on 11/29/2014 at 9:59:21 AM PST

hogamefan
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS here for Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove Collector's Edi

[Post New]by hogamefan on Nov 29, 14 1:46 PM

Edited on 12/08/2014 at 3:35:23 PM PST

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Nov 29, 14 2:23 PM
Like many, I was looking forward to the latest MCF game and like many, I was disappointed.
Elephant Games always produces quality games; beautifully executed, intriguing and enjoyable. But we weren't looking for their interpretation of MCF, we were looking for BFG's concept to be continued here.
There is a feel, tone and mood to all the MCF games that binds them together and EG completely missed the mark.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 29, 14 4:12 PM
I think the MCF brand has been losing it's appeal and quality for a while and it's unfair to blame Elephant Games for that. The first Dire Grove was the gold standard for this type of game but every game since then has been disappointing.

I like this one but it doesn't have the same "spark" as the original. I'm not sure it's even possible to capture that magic again.

If you take this all on it's own, it's a beautiful game with a lot of special perks and clever puzzles. Personally, I don't miss the days when we had to bounce back and forth between locations, hoping to find a HOG scene that might be been triggered in another area. I found that incredibly tedious and I'm thankful for maps and teleportation.

I also think it's ridiculous to be complaining about wolves and bears in the UK when the entire world in these games is filled with magic. You can suspend your disbelief in magical druids but OHMYGODITSABEAR!!! sends you into discontent mode. Hmmm

ibn1984
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by ibn1984 on Nov 29, 14 5:00 PM
I really thought I would be wowed by this game when I saw the title. But I am disappointed. In comparison to the first one, it is missing a lot. There are no "human" actors, no real morphing items, and so far no word list HOS. The story line, and the atmosphere is very weak. Not intense like the first Dire Grove at all. When I saw that the scenes where from the original game, it only made me miss the original game even more. Am I the only one who was looking for the fountain with the rabbit's head you had to hit several times to get it to fall off? I know I will purchase this game, only because it is a MCF, but not today.

[Post New]by joannab on Nov 29, 14 8:55 PM
Finished Sacred Grove CE just now and here are my thoughts: I haven't felt like leaving a review in forever so the game must be good!

--It's a beautiful game, the detail is amazing in the birds, the movement, the snow, etc. I loved opening new scenes and puzzles, especially the ones in the woods. Excellent game visually.

--The story, while moving forward well, is pretty meh compared to the story arcs we are used to with MCF. At the end I was like, that's it? There was no pressure, no rush, and no creepy thrill factor that kept me up all night playing the other games in this series. When I got to the bonus play and alternate ending options, I finally felt a little redeemed. They gave a little more of the chilling, scary factor that keeps you going forward quickly. But I feel that the main game should be enough to stand on it's own without needing the "bonus content" to really make it.The usual MCF standard is a mystery with some adrenaline like my favorite mystery novels or shows. Without the thrills and chills it's not as fun.

--Finally, the PUZZLES are back! These are great in this game! Some very easy, some really hard, and plenty of that feel that I loved in RTR only with the theme that fits this setting. Awesome and so fun. I enjoyed the puzzles in the bonus area, too.

--The interactive characters: It took so much time to click on the detective's questions, and then the answers; seemed superfluous. I like interacting with characters, and they LOOKED fabulous, but the exchanges could've been faster. Too many characters also dilute back stories and you care less about what is happening to them. --The characters looked great but overall weren't very interesting; "Derek" and his bro looked like they were planted as eye candy for those gamers who like the romance games. Just saying.
They were boring. I miss Victor.

--Would be nice to have a new villain while remaining in the story arc, I'm kind of over Charles and Alistair. Surely that family has some more freaky hidden kids?

--Overall I liked it more than the latest Fate's Carnival, which was fun but too easy and repetitive, and MUCH much better than 13 Skulls. (Did not even buy Shadow Lake based on reviews) RTR is my favorite of all time, so that's what I would compare everything to and this actually is closer than the last few have been.
Keep them coming, this was great overall and totally beautiful. Bring back the spooky!

[Post New]by Screena on Nov 30, 14 5:40 AM
I agree with what others have said...this game did not rise to the level of the MCF series. It just felt like a generic old HOG (not even a collector's edition game).

The storyline to me didn't make any sense. I thought we were in the present, but most of the characters seemed historic. I think the fact that the developers created a storyline that no one card about contributed to the fact that the game wasn't likable. In other MCF games there was a mystery to be uncovered/solved, and at the end of the game, another mystery was left open, which made me anxious for the next installment. When this game ended, I was literally cursing, saying to myself "Is that it?"

The achievements weren't as fun and challenging as other games I've played. As others have stated, the mini-puzzles were so random and nonsensical, I had to get a hint on the majority of them (and then when I got the hints, I felt stupid for having used them in the first place).

The design was beautiful, which to me, wasn't a good thing. There was something refreshing about the creepy rooms and creepy characters in other MCF (a certain birthing room in a past game comes to mind), but these characters were just bland and uninspiring, and the rooms looked like they could have been found in any HOG.

I have played all of the MCF games available for the PC, and I think this is the worst of those. I would have rather played Huntsville all day than wasting time on this. If future installments are like this, I will not be purchasing them in the future. I feel like if you are going to develop a HOG series, you need to evolve and get better with each series, but in this case, MCF has definitely taken a step backward.

[Post New]by berrymyst on Nov 30, 14 8:27 AM
I'm a HUGE fan of MCF, and have been for about the last 6 years. I couldn't wait to get Sacred Grove, and ordered it right away when it was released. Right away, I was a bit disappointed that the developers chose to go back to a venue we've seen before. We've been to Ravenhearst, what, three times, and the carnival twice. Now, back to the Grove.

I was blown away by Fate's Carnival; thought it was excellent, although the puzzles were challenging. Sacred Grove has proven to be much more disappointing as a whole. Graphics were good, very similar to Fate's Carnival, in that no real actors were superimposed over a gaming background.

The map wasn't as thorough as in the first Dire Grove (couldn't go into the upstairs of the hotel, or across the lake to the shack), but there were some new locales to explore, which was fun.

The puzzles and the hidden object scenes were my biggest disappointment. The puzzles in MCF used to be challenging, requiring you to memorize a pattern, a series, or use some common sense to solve. Now, they're complicated for the sake of being complicated. I had to skip almost every puzzle, because they have become a series of random actions that aren't consistent with solving a puzzle (if you play, you'll see what I mean). For example, one puzzle scene requires you to carry a squirrel in a bucket from tree to tree, bribing him with acorns. The way you have to get those acorns is time consuming, tedious, and not really intuitive. Conversely, the hidden object scenes have changed (EX: Find 5 ravens, then find 6 candles, etc), and become WAY too easy. Morphing object scenes were almost non existent.

This game wasn't as disappointing as Shadow Lake, but it certainly doesn't come close to Fate's Carnival, or Escape from Ravenhearst. I was underwhelmed by the storyline, game play, puzzles, and pretty much all of it. I am still a die hard fan of MCF, and will continue to purchase their games. Hopefully, next year's game will be much better.

heleanthia
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by heleanthia on Nov 30, 14 3:28 PM
I have been a fan of MCF since its' inception and always looked forward to the new game in the series being released.
I have loved them all....from the very earliest, Huntsville to the Ravenhearst saga(BOTH BRILLIANT)

I cavilled at ,"Escape from",.. after reading the reviews.

Then to Dire Grove(BRILLIANT) 13th Skull(BRILLIANT) and Madame Fate.#1 and 2(BOTH Brilliant)
I am probably one of FEW but I also thought Shadow Lake was very good....
See, there is a trend that I am trying to demonstrate....

Also it was weird to have MOST of the voiceovers be done with American accents, when the story and characters are located in Britain.
I may be one of few, but I also missed the live actors...

I did LOVE that the game was more adventure based than HOG heavy. Even so, the HOG's that there were, were NOT too many(Yeah!) and were fun ....

In short, guess the answer is, that you can't go home again.....I was looking forward to revisiting and remembering Dire Grove (Number 1), but of course it wasn't to be as it is very hard improving upon success.

Teb18
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Teb18 on Nov 30, 14 9:27 PM
So disappointed in this game. As soon as I saw that it was a MCF game, I bought immediately and couldn't wait to play it. After playing for a 10-15 minutes, I realized this is not a normal MCF game. This was just a standard hidden object game. What happened MCF - did you sell yourself out?

[Post New]by Shatwanee on Nov 30, 14 10:11 PM
I love this game! Beautiful graphics. One issue: it will not let me buy the game! I installed the free trial and it refuses to allow an in app purchase or even a BUY button so I can play the entire game! Beyond frustrating!

saadia60
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by saadia60 on Dec 1, 14 12:40 PM
Absolutely the best game! keeps up with the MCF tradition. Loved the interactive puzzles ( hard but doable)! loved it. Loved it. it was great to go back to Dire Grove and see the old hotel again! The story was also riveting and all the to and froing just added to the adventure! Thanks Devs. keep them coming!

[Post New]by jenifercher on Dec 1, 14 12:40 PM
I really enjoyed the game and I think the CE is a must! I love ALL the MCF games. Although I didn't like this one as much as the last Dire Grove....I still loved it. I really like the live actors in their game. I think it adds something to the story. This one didn't have that but I don't think it took much away from the story. No one makes as good mini-games as MCF! I wish they had games that came out more often but then they probably wouldn't be as good. Can't wait for the next one.

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Dec 1, 14 5:12 PM
I am enjoying this new Mystery Case Files, it is a bit of a challenge, but I am so tired of all the easy games, that have been coming out. I have waited a year for this new one and I am not disappointed. I love the super puzzles, I wish more of the games would come out with these puzzles.

Bomie
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Bomie on Dec 2, 14 1:02 PM
I just have to pipe in here. What an insult this game is to both MCF and the memory of BFG's greatest game, Dire Grove. I almost feel tricked because I expected something at least remotely as interesting and awesome as the original Dire Grove. It almost seems like a sacrilege that Dire Grove settings were used, because that's where the relationship between this game and Dire Grove begins and ends. I has a sad.

I say put this game in a canoe and shoot a flaming arrow through it!

Go to: