lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

Re:TGT: Cindy's Travels: Flooded Kingdom

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 16, 09 10:31 AM
I don't think I ever finished Magic Match. Between the timer and the creepy guy in the corner.... I did buy it back when it was new, and my son loves it. But then he enjoys timed games.

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Apr 16, 09 10:48 AM
Played about 40 minutes of the demo. This game has alot going for it. I like the adventure like quality of it and the ability to change the difficulity level at any time. No timer too, that's a big plus! Fun way to do match - 3. A Felix favorite too. I only got 7 levels done so far, so it looks like it has some length to it. A thumbs up from me.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Apr 16, 09 11:13 AM
Sorry, got here a little late because I'm still not feeling too well, but couldn't resist giving this sweet little game the "Lisa's favorite Match-3's approval." Poodle and others have said everything that needs to be said, but here are my two favorite aspects (I won't mention the lack of timer!):

The combination of make-a-path and move forward by making several long matches wins a lot of points with me. I can't recall another game (and I think I've tried or bought every Match-3 on the planet) that has this feature.

Really nice mini-games, at least so far. The little log moving puzzle early on was delightful (O.K., so it was easy, but it WAS a change of pace). The HOG later on was rather fun, and actually quite difficult. I had to force myself to avoid using a hint for the last comb, which was very well hidden.

So, from your friend the Match-3 fan: for this Felix's Favorite!

Protea
Manatee
Manatee
4,001 Posts

[Post New]by Protea on Apr 16, 09 11:20 AM
Well after all these great reviews, I know what game to buy, have been waiting for a good one and this seems to be it...thank you

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 16, 09 11:34 AM
This appears to be a game with little middle ground. People either love it (and have trouble stopping themselves from playing it) or they find it boring.

Tip: the various powerups glow too brightly when charged to see the symbol on them easily, however if you mouseover a powerup you will get a tooltip that explains what it does. For most of them, you just click the powerup and then something good happens. A couple of them you need to then click a tile, and which tile you click usually matters.

mahbah55
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,025 Posts

[Post New]by mahbah55 on Apr 16, 09 11:48 AM
The more I played, the more addicted I got. The demo just ended and I had the "noooo!!" moment, which is good. I like that they incorporated marble popper and hidden objects into the game between levels. Nice, well rounded game for sure.

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,653 Posts

[Post New]by AnnBy on Apr 16, 09 12:19 PM
I played about 1/2 of the demo and enjoyed it. Gotta save some demo for hubby to see. I also like this because it's untimed and my 6 year old can play it. He has an easier time playing the match 3 games.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 16, 09 12:56 PM
With only 2 min. left, I checked the Options again. I saw that the Tutorial was indeed turned off so that had nothing to do with the flashing Pathway. I set the difficulty all the way to the toughest setting. This seems to have stopped the Path from flashing but, Cindy herself is flahing bright as the sun. Wish I could stop all that flashing. Recently another match 3 was a NO for me because of the blinding flashes. Why do they do that?

DonnyDJ
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
475 Posts

[Post New]by DonnyDJ on Apr 16, 09 1:34 PM
Other than the fact that this game has great visuals and combines different genres, this game just doesn't cut it. Timer, or no timer, the gameplay when you are making matches is simply not quick and responsive enough. It is not a problem with my computer. It is simply the way the game was designed. Poodlebear and others, I respectfully disagree with your reviews.

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Apr 16, 09 3:15 PM
Down loaded fine - but rebooted my system when I tried to play.

Tried again and it just ran and ran for about 4 minutes w/o anything happening. Had to bring up task master to stop it running and deleted it. Too bad - sounded fun.

[Post New]by irssecretary on Apr 16, 09 3:21 PM
I never got to play this game, if froze my computer everytime I tried!

ruby_leo
Clownfish
Clownfish
764 Posts

[Post New]by ruby_leo on Apr 16, 09 3:44 PM
Loving it! Ran smooth with no gliches! It is a unique game of match three, hidden object, puzzle and etc. Really would love to see more like this one!

tasha47
Flounder
Flounder
2,256 Posts

[Post New]by tasha47 on Apr 16, 09 3:51 PM
Having no trouble running and playing this game. My computer is very responsive to it and I think it's great. Being on Felix's Favorites is a plus. Keeper in my opinion.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 16, 09 4:01 PM
For those of you who had problems with your computer freezing or rebooting, please contact customer support. BFG customer support is the best!

Wenchy
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by Wenchy on Apr 16, 09 4:05 PM
This game is crashing my computer too. I have contacted cust support already regarding Alchemist Apprentice crashing my computer and hopefully if they are able to offer assitance for that it will work on this one as well. Fingers Crossed !

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 16, 09 5:16 PM
Finished!

For anybody who is concerned that the game it too short, have no fear. I got my money's worth already, and will do it again on the hard setting to see what it's like. (I'll have to work on Saturday to make up the hours I failed to work today)

For anybody who is concerned about timers sneaking in, also have no fear. The closest thing to timers are:
1. the Zuma-clone minigames, which are very slow. If you have a piece that isn't immediately useful you can shoot it in the wrong direction so that it misses, which doesn't make the train longer. There's some kind of bomb available as well, but I haven't tried it.

2. catching the fireflies. Usually if you just plant your mouse near a group of them, one will wander close and you can click it.

The slider puzzles have an axe that removes a random log. The hidden object minigames have unlimited hints. there were only two minigames that made me wish for a walk through, and I did figure them out eventually.
1. Puzzle in the desert that has the colored stones and the (5? 6?) stones with dots on them. Tomorrow I'll post the solution to this in the forum for this game, marked spoiler.
2. Last level where you have to trap the bad guy. It's not a speed race, it's turn based. I'm not very good at this type of puzzle. The good news is that if the bad guy escapes the level restarts with no penalty. Took me about 4 tries.

I wish there were a way to replay just the minigames. I want to see if I can figure out those slider puzzles without using the axe. The Hidden Object levels had some items hid pretty sneakily but with unlimited time you can just click everything in the scene if you want to avoid using hints.

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Apr 16, 09 5:27 PM
Thanks lordkalvan for the review, it helps me decide whether or not to buy it. I was kinda worried it was going to be short.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 16, 09 5:48 PM
Well if you are the kind who screams that 6 hours is too short, it might be. I didn't keep track of how many hours I spent playing it, so I really don't have much of an idea other than the fact that my one hour trial time got me about 1/6 of the way according to the map, and the levels in the desert are mostly harder than the previous levels. I thought I'd never get past the quick sand level. There are a lot of dots on that map. Some of the minigames I finish very quickly, but most of the match-3 levels took me at least 10 minutes, possibly as long as 20. Again, I wasn't timing myself, just judging by my personal "I need a break now" meter and the fact that if you exit in the middle of a level you have to start that level over again.

If the storyline annoys you, I don't think there's any way to turn it off. If you actually read it, that adds more time. If you prefer to only use powerups when you are stuck instead of as soon as they are charged up, it will take you longer than if you use them very quickly. Most of the time I was not using the powerups unless I got frustrated but that was still a lot of powerups. Sometimes I'd try to make matches that would move the right pieces into the area that needed them, and other times I'd just grab the longest chain I could spot. Once I even got "Ultimate long chain" and Cindy moved from the middle of the path to the goal. Wish I had a video of that one.

edit: I downloaded it the minute it was available, and posted 1.5 hours later that I was heading into the swamp (had not yet entered it at that point). So that's roughly 25% finished, which would tend to confirm an estimate of 6 hours.

Edited on 04/16/2009 at 5:50:20 PM PST

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Apr 16, 09 5:56 PM
Thanks lord, I figured the early levels were fastest as they were the easiest, so later on would get longer to past a level. Also, I guess it would depend where you place the difficulty meter at. Hubby will be home soon, getting a list together for his birthday present to me, lol!

tix48
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by tix48 on Apr 16, 09 6:43 PM
Normally I'm not into match 3 there ok every once in a while but this one grabbed me! Its just a different kind of match 3. I like it and I bought it which says something because I dont buy match 3's very often.

Go to: