Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

Re:pocahontas princess of powhatan

[Post New]by Howatch on May 1, 09 10:44 AM
AlmostSilver wrote:I was going to keep my opinion to myself...but let me just say...music is relaxing, items are tough to find and we don't want it easy...I also have a tendancy to get impatient and might click the "hint" button....liked the fact that the refresh on the "hint" button took 90 seconds as it made me slow down and look for things...I agree there were a couple that were just really really tough but some were very cleverly hidden..story was not too long..didn't we just complain about too much verbage in some of the games...and, in the end, I felt relaxed as I played and enjoyed the voyage.....(Sherlock Holmes made me green) so this one didn't bother me with the rocking boat....So I give it one for most of the items not being a click click gotcha and for a relaxing pleasant experience....just my opinion.

Well, I for one am glad you did post. I'm sure there are games that I have enjoyed that others did not care for, and if you are enjoying it, that's all that matters!

culady
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by culady on May 1, 09 11:07 AM
Too fuzzy for my old eyes.

rozanne123
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by rozanne123 on May 1, 09 11:21 AM
I couldn't get into the game, kept getting the message that another game was running. So I will just forget about this one.

tazmann423
Flounder
Flounder
2,113 Posts

[Post New]by tazmann423 on May 1, 09 11:46 AM
I am enjoying the game. I am not experiencing any of the issues others have yet. I agree with Poodlebear that it is not on the top of my list of favorite HOG games but will be good for lean HOG times.

missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

[Post New]by missy12 on May 1, 09 12:13 PM
ok everyone.pocahontas is a very cool game.its just not about ho.remember the
story about pocahontas.well its like that,but i little different.you got to get in to the story.right i am at the part.where poachontas and her love are in danger.we got to save them.you have to buy the game to really get into it.well got to go save pocaohontas.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on May 1, 09 12:38 PM
I played the full 60 minutes and got pretty far. It required some luck and the judicious use of hints. I think in some cases the developers got a little carried away with their transparency setting on some objects. It was VERY hard to see some things, even after a hint (the fish on the beach for instance). Aside from the visibility issues - and I admit that's a pretty BIG issue for a HOG - I actually liked this game. Yes, the dialog was stilted, but at least it made sense, and yes, the characters did look like paper dolls, but, hey, I liked paper dolls as a kid! The music was beautiful, and I liked the story. All that said however, I have to say I won't buy this one, the objects are just too hard to see. Other than that I found it a bit reminiscent of Sleepy Hollow.

loveelvis
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by loveelvis on May 1, 09 12:49 PM
just do the one hour free game
and not be able to continue
left the remaining twenty minutes to anyone would be able to do this game
hate !
that's that

mmaiden42
Stingray
Stingray
5,767 Posts

[Post New]by mmaiden42 on May 1, 09 1:36 PM
Yes, I found some scenes that were a bit blurry but it seemed that most of the actual objects I had to find were clearer than the background. The music was relaxing and I enjoyed having to hunt a little harder to find things. Some of the old fashioned HOs have items that you couldn't miss even if you had your eyes closed. LOL I have quite a few games to play right now, but will probably get this when my games have been played and I need a new one. It is probably going on my list of "will buy later." I don't know how long the game lasts and that will also factor in when it is time to purchase it. I will check back to see if any one lists a total time for the game.

VickiS531
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by VickiS531 on May 1, 09 3:25 PM
I love HOG but this one was absolute junk.

- Graphics were terrible, whether it was intentional or not, you shouldn't need 4-5 hints to finish a scene.
- Colors were washed out and made the objects even harder to distinguish
- Minigames were not explained, i.e., one was finding objects on discs, I had a glove that looked like a tuft of grass or a bundle of herbs but in no way looked like a glove!
- Storyline was awful and it should've been so much more!
- Hint meter takes way too long to recharge.
- No timer?!?!?!?

This is so far below BFG usual standards I really wonder why they released this one. It doesn't even come close to a decent game, especially when measured against the MCF, Hidden Expedition or the Big City Adventure series which have all been BFG exclusives.

Don't buy this one even at a discount!

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on May 1, 09 3:42 PM
I too love HOG'S but this is on my list pix are grainy, items too small, skipped through the story ended demo with about 30 minutes to go. I also just finished 3 days zoo mystery and love it you not only find hidden objects but have to use them as well my kind of game.

laurah65
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by laurah65 on May 1, 09 4:03 PM
Yes I find this game a little tedious especially in the first scene I can't get out of the maze because it keep fogging up. BFG do you have a walk-through for this game? I feel that would help some but finding these object is very tedious and when I click on a hint the screen gets a red flashing light even when I click where the object is suppose to be. I am playing the demo now probably would get the game if I could get further into it. help!! help!!

laurah65
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by laurah65 on May 1, 09 4:10 PM
Rebeca_Lily,

I really like the story of Pocahontas and probably read it more than one time that is my reason for downloading the game, but now I am disappointed in the game but not the story. Maybe the creators should redo this game and make it more clearer to see with more understanding graphics and everything.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on May 1, 09 4:25 PM
In 1609, an injury from a gunpowder explosion forced Smith to return to England for medical care. The English told the natives Smith was dead, that he had been captured by a French pirate, that the pirate ship had been wrecked on the Brittany coast, and that it had gone down with all hands. Pocahontas believed Smith was dead until she arrived in England several years later, the wife of John Rolfe.

According to William Strachey, Pocahontas married a Powhatan warrior called Kocoum at some point before 1612; nothing more is known about this marriage.

There is no suggestion in any of the historical records that Smith and Pocahontas were lovers. This romantic version of the story appears only in fictionalized versions of their relationship (such as the animated version by Walt Disney.)

MoreOver
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by MoreOver on May 1, 09 4:43 PM
MoreOver one word review: Lame

julie2753
Clownfish
Clownfish
542 Posts

[Post New]by julie2753 on May 1, 09 5:03 PM
Got out of the maze and i wont buy this game, it gave me a headache looking for hidden objects, not clear and as for that rocking boat

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on May 1, 09 5:13 PM
I like this game. Didn't have any trouble. The maze was pretty easy, I thought. Granted, it's not the best game but worth $7 to me.

[Post New]by cincjanis2 on May 1, 09 5:16 PM
I found this game boring and tedious. But I must say I love Big Fish and most of the time I am very entertained. Every morning I check the new game before I go to work. I love Hidden object games. Please when will we see a followup to MCF return to ravenhurst? That was the best game I have played. Please hurry with a followup. Keep those HOG s coming!!!

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on May 1, 09 5:20 PM
Hi Fishies..I just gotta say, I started the demo, and yes, it was kind of difficult at first. But I went ahead, finished the demo, and actually began to like it. Yes, some of the objects are difficult to see/find, and the hints take a longer time than lots of HO games, but as you move on, the scenes become more familar, the music is very soothing, and I bought the game. I enjoyed it immensely. I think sometimes we get a little too impatient for hints to regenerate and to spend the time looking for the objects. Perhaps we are getting too impatient in our HOG's? Just my opinion, but this was a very soothing, relaxing game for me, and without a timer, it was actually kind of fun again to spend time REALLY looking for the objects. Also, as you progress in the game, if you are truly stuck on finding an object, you can go to another location, find what you can, then go back. I did not find the fact that this might or might not be historically acurate with historically accurate objects? Sheesh, how many HOGs have we played that ALWAYS had historically correct objects? Not alot. Anyway, I'm playing this game and enjoying it. Just my opinion.
Love Abs
PS...Remember the Civil War (Can't remember the name right now) HOG...good grief the ending was definitely not historically correct...but WTheck..it was fun anyway. So I'm just gonna relax and enjoy.

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on May 1, 09 5:21 PM
Wow.....this has to be the first HO game that I have ever played where my eyes were burning. The blurred scenes are horrible and then to top it off with darker edges......I was practically on top of my monitor and I have really good vision. I even tried both the Open GL or Active X (which was much worse).
Do not waste your money on this one, definately not worth it, unless you enjoy the burning sensation in your eyes.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on May 1, 09 5:27 PM
MissAbby wrote:Hi Fishies..I just gotta say, I started the demo, and yes, it was kind of difficult at first. But I went ahead, finished the demo, and actually began to like it. Yes, some of the objects are difficult to see/find, and the hints take a longer time than lots of HO games, but as you move on, the scenes become more familar, the music is very soothing, and I bought the game. I enjoyed it immensely. I think sometimes we get a little too impatient for hints to regenerate and to spend the time looking for the objects. Perhaps we are getting too impatient in our HOG's? Just my opinion, but this was a very soothing, relaxing game for me, and without a timer, it was actually kind of fun again to spend time REALLY looking for the objects. Also, as you progress in the game, if you are truly stuck on finding an object, you can go to another location, find what you can, then go back. I did not find the fact that this might or might not be historically acurate with historically accurate objects? Sheesh, how many HOGs have we played that ALWAYS had historically correct objects? Not alot. Anyway, I'm playing this game and enjoying it. Just my opinion.
Love Abs
PS...Remember the Civil War (Can't remember the name right now) HOG...good grief the ending was definitely not historically correct...but WTheck..it was fun anyway. So I'm just gonna relax and enjoy.

MissAbby, you made some good points here. I had just finished Samantha Swift before I tried this game, and I'm willing to acknowledge that I probably went into this game with kind of a HOG burnout, so to speak. So, I think I will play the demo of this game after I have had a chance to decompress for a while with a match-3 or something, and then maybe try it again. It may not be the greatest HOG ever, but I think I went into this being overHOG'd.

Go to: