Re:Please post any TECH ISSUES for Midnight Mysteries: Ghostwriting CE here!

[Post New]by 4_fun_id on Jan 3, 15 4:49 PM
Found a bug in the Santa hidden object puzzle. I didn't receive the sewing kit, so I can't move forward in the game. Am running Mac version using OS 10.8.5.

mareflynn
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by mareflynn on Jan 3, 15 6:49 PM
Wow! "Glitchy" doesn't even begin to describe this game!

Very jerky cursor
Game freezes
Some graphics disappear from the screen
Very hard and long time trying to close game down
When game closed, it shut down BFG Manager

I did install Direct X
My graphics driver is up to date

Help! Please!

jaxxgirl
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by jaxxgirl on Jan 3, 15 7:20 PM
I meant to add in my previous post: same . . . not smooth cursor interaction as others have reported. Jerky, slow and uneven movement of the cursor. Hard to describe: just not an easy cursor to task interaction, if that makes any sense.

Windows 7.

LOVE this series, so hope that the tech issues can be fixed. I hate being afraid to use the map, for fear it will bring on the dreaded black boxes, followed by the game fail. But I'm hanging in there: maybe the English major in me that loves the storyline behind this series of games, but it is such a different plot from most.

Really, REALLY hoping there will be fixes.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 3, 15 8:43 PM
I use a Win7 64-bit laptop. On the whole, the game works fine for me, but it's a bit jerky.

Also, it freezes from time to time for a couple of seconds, like when I have finished with a puzzle, it's as if the game isn't ready yet to then get back to the normal window.

Also, what I don't like at all is that when I exit the game - I am not playing it non-stop through - everything seems to slow down and/or freeze, and a black window appears for a couple of seconds until my desktop comes back. And then things on my desktop start to slowly "wake up" again. It scares the kaka out of me each time.

ETA: Actually, this black screen appearing when I exit a game happens with "Gardens Inc" as well. Either it's the GM - and it has been playing up for some time - or it's those two games. Don't get this problem with my other games.

Edited on 01/03/2015 at 10:05:46 PM PST

4194dave
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by 4194dave on Jan 3, 15 10:13 PM
I am stuck on the stained glass window for the parrot--the screen froze and my cursor will not pick up any of the pieces. It will not let you back out of this screen either. I had the parrot all done and then it would not let me back out of it. I decided to hit Menu, then go back to it but it now has pieces laying about that I cannot pickup and finish the picture with. I completed exited the game and waited about 10 minutes and tried to play the game again, but it still takes me right to the stuck parrot window again and wont let me finish it. It will not let me back out of it again. Finally just exited. Please is there a fix to this problem. I really love this game and want to finish it. I am using Windows 7 computer.

Edited on 01/03/2015 at 10:14:48 PM PST

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Jan 3, 15 10:56 PM
Not wanting to dimmish the problems some BF players are having. I thought I'd mention that; I completed the game without a single glitch.

Running Virtual Windows 8.1 with WMwareFusion 7 on OS X Yosemite.

Regarding the blacked-out pages in the SG.: In order to go through the sewer, you need to fix and light the lamp, then the SG pages becomes visible again.

An absolutely FANTASTIC game.

4194dave
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by 4194dave on Jan 4, 15 7:13 AM
I uninstalled the game and re-installed it and it is still doing the same thing. I can't get past the parrot stained glass window. Gonna restart the game under another alias and see what happens.
For all of you having trouble with the herky jerky cursor. I almost always switch to a regular cursor when playing these games and it seems to help.

4194dave
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by 4194dave on Jan 4, 15 8:40 AM
I do not know what I did but the second time under a new alias, the parrot puzzle worked. Maybe a piece was not in there exactly right the first time.
This is a game where the order in which things are done might also make a difference. Maybe there are steps to do before the parrot puzzle that I did not do before.

[Post New]by beaudaciousdldy on Jan 4, 15 8:45 AM
Hi Fishies,

This is the sixth game in the series and I was looking forward to playing it but it will not open up at all. There is a message box that tells me that I must get .NETFramework : v.4.0.30319 from the application publisher, I suppose that would be BFG??? So sad. I have an XP.

karen

Edited on 01/04/2015 at 8:47:15 AM PST

Growlpaws
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Growlpaws on Jan 4, 15 9:58 AM
I've not experienced problems with this series before, but the demo has thrown me out twice. Once after the map turned black as others have said. However on re-starting, the map was back to normal. Using Windows 8. PC.

4194dave
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by 4194dave on Jan 4, 15 11:35 AM
I got all the way through the game. Whatever issues people are having I think it might be caused by the order in which things are done. I never had a problem going through after I started on a different player from the beginning.
I did re install the game and my first alias was still frozen, but the second alias was a breeze. I was playing on a Windows 7 computer.

maglad
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by maglad on Jan 4, 15 11:45 AM
Playing on Windows 7 - carbide lamp problem!!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jan 4, 15 1:22 PM
I am also having some of the same problems as the others. The first thing to go black for me was the SG, then the map then other scenes. Also the jerky cursor drove me nuts. Then, as someone else mentioned, my game froze and I had to restart my computer. Needless to say, this game went in the trash can!

feenix

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Jan 4, 15 4:05 PM
beaudaciousdldy wrote:Hi Fishies,

This is the sixth game in the series and I was looking forward to playing it but it will not open up at all. There is a message box that tells me that I must get .NETFramework : v.4.0.30319 from the application publisher,I suppose that would be BFG??? So sad. I have an XP.
karen

Hello, beaudaciousdldy,
You need to go to Microsoft to get this update!

BK

edt to add:In the thread titled NET Framework error, bfgVaiya has posted a link to a bfg Help Article that will make it very easy to find this Microsoft update.

Edited on 01/04/2015 at 4:22:54 PM PST

zendnez
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by zendnez on Jan 4, 15 4:09 PM
I just lost the carbide for the lamp as others have reported. I finished the puzzle that makes it available. It showed up in my inventory. I applied it to the lamp. It's now gone from my inventory but it's not applied to the lamp.

This is on Mac OS. The game is not playable and I'm not going to start all over.

1357wc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
453 Posts

[Post New]by 1357wc on Jan 4, 15 8:00 PM
Windows XP. Installed DirectX as directed. Every scene is jerky, takes forever to pick up things. Rather it is all in slow motion. I did change the custom cursor, no effect whatsoever. I am going to uninstall and reinstall and see if makes a difference

No difference when reinstalled. Guess it's a no buy.

Edited on 01/04/2015 at 8:42:25 PM PST

valjoy
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by valjoy on Jan 5, 15 1:50 AM
Enjoying this game - love my Dickens! - but I'm stuck on getting the salamandar to open the door. The rings are in place but nothing happens and there doesn't seem a way to skip the puzzle. Has anyone else found this?
There are too many tech issues spoiling this game with a clumsy cursor making it hard to get the crazy precision needed.

Mossy224
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

Medical Bag

[Post New]by Mossy224 on Jan 5, 15 8:40 AM
Used 'solve' for the medical bag. Figures did not move. cannot unlock the bag. Playing on a MAC.

underwriter
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by underwriter on Jan 5, 15 9:09 AM
Well, I found dot net (myself), got it updates, had no trouble with the game (unless you count having to do things in exactly the right order and fond sweet spots, but that is not technical, it is operator error), finished the main game, enjoyed it very much, started on the bonus game, and almost immediately started getting black screens. Since frequently those are only certain screens and if you get past them you can keep going, I used hints and skips and got up to Irving's back yard, where I still had the screen, not totally black but black enough, and couldn't tell what to do, and even the strategy guide for the bonus game was black. I haven't tried uninstall/reinstall yet so I have not exhausted everything, but I did leave the game to recover my aplomb.

Later: I uninstalled/reinstalled and, amazingly, that took care of the problem. It made me go back to the main game to perform the very last action, which was pushing a button; finished the wrap-up; and then let me into the bonus chapter, which worked like a charm. Heck, it even let me play tic-tac-toe with the raven (I lost).

Edited on 01/05/2015 at 1:51:48 PM PST

[Post New]by sjbeem on Jan 5, 15 4:28 PM
This happened to me too. Exactly the same way. I loathe starting this game over to see if it happens again. I have windows 7.

zendnez wrote:I just lost the carbide for the lamp as others have reported. I finished the puzzle that makes it available. It showed up in my inventory. I applied it to the lamp. It's now gone from my inventory but it's not applied to the lamp.

This is on Mac OS. The game is not playable and I'm not going to start all over.

Go to: