SoHoGirl
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

Re:User Review - 3 Cards to Midnight

[Post New]by SoHoGirl on Sep 22, 10 8:58 PM
This has to rank in right there with the most ignorant game I have bought so far from Big Fish. Nothing but frustration for me. Graphics are horrible. I understand the idea of matching the cards...but what good does it do when you can't make out what half the object are. I have already adjusted my screen on every computer in my house in hopes one of them would work right...but no help.

Plus...sometimes you can actually click on something that really could be an answer and it is totally ignored.

I do like the Tex Murphy voice. I loved my Tex Murphy games...wish they would come to Windows....but I hated all the talking...talking and talking between scenes. Very annoying to me. And why does the girl add so many SSSSSes to the end of each word. Drives me nuts.

I have played 3 chapters and I am bored out of my skull.

Just not my kind of game, but I am truly glad that so many of you are finding it fun. Wish I did. Mostly I feel like I just lost my money....but it was a daily deal...so not a huge loss and it did get me and extra punch on my monthly punch card and filled it up....so now I can get a free game next month.

Next time I will just stick to the basic games that I know and love....Games like Return to Ravenhearst and Dire Grove and the Edgar Poe series.

Also love the Aslyum game. I am sure that there are more great games in my future...but this on is going straight to the garbage pale for me.

[Post New]by mike_farren on Oct 27, 10 1:04 PM
I guess you put your spellcheck program into the garbage pail before this one...

I'm sorry I missed the Daily Deal for this game. I hadn't even looked at it before I tried the demo for "3 Cards to Dead Time". I tried that, and bought it very quickly once the demo time ran out, and decided that I should try "...To Midnight" first, to get any background I was missing. Despite the glitchy sound/video performance on my fairly old laptop, I still found it a really well-done change of pace from the typical HOGs - the combination of word play and hidden objects just appeals to me.

I look forward to getting my newer, better laptop up and running, I think that will probably take care of most of the video problems. I'm really glad it's got such good replay value for then.

I can see that it's not for everybody, but it's just right for me.

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Nov 12, 10 11:51 PM
I really loved the story for this game and kept playing through the umm, word association scenes just to hear more of the story.

I wasn't a big fan of the word association gameplay, but honestly I'm not a big fan of hidden object scene gameplay either. I liked the minigames a little bit more. Nothing too challenging and there's a "Solve" button (which I assume skips the puzzles; I never used it). A lot of the minigames were focused on word puzzles.

The graphics are blurry, but I didn't have the problems everyone else who's commented seems to have had; I could make out what all the objects were. The native resolution of the game seems to be 1024x768 so I set my desktop to that and it filled my screen.

The story really was the big draw for me, though. It was revealed at just the right pace, and there really were some nice reveals as you progress through the game. The soundtrack also really enhanced the spooky, creepy atmosphere, as did the ghosts(?) floating around in some of the scenes.

SMQMC
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by SMQMC on Nov 25, 10 2:22 PM
This could have been more enjoyable if you could actually make out some of the H.O.s !! The graphics were horrible and some so small you would never be able to guess what they were; extremely foggy and pixelated. I kept looking at an object that appeared to be a bent match, but turned out to be a worm! It didn't help that I couldn't get a full screen, so naturally, things showed up smaller. Also, you can't even make out the conversation with the brother at the end. What in the world was he saying?? The character's mouths looked like they were full of cotton wads! I have very mixed emotions about this game. Some things were new and different, others were.....well, just tolerable to unacceptable.

dyjane
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by dyjane on Jan 26, 11 6:30 PM
(Removed by moderator)

Edited on 01/27/2011 at 1:58:15 AM PST

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 7, 11 9:36 AM
The game’s graphics are somewhat okay. I didn’t find the music/sounds intrusive. I’ve found the game somewhat boring; due to the storyline not being interesting enough. I won’t be purchasing this game. For those who had purchased this game – Happy Gaming.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Sep 15, 14 1:01 PM
Wow, finally waded through all the spam (which was reported but is still there and some is over a year old) to find the review thread.

I like the idea of this game. What I don't like is not being able to see the items because they are so, so tiny. And some look nothing like what they really look like. As the player is only allowed to make a certain number of errors, I think that being able to decide what an item actually is supposed to be would be nice.

What I thought might be a candy wrapper turned out to be a worm.
What I thought was...well, actually I had no idea what it was...turned out to be a diamond.

So that - plus all the spam in this forum - means I will not buy this game.

P.S. I realize that some people lisp. Jess lisps so much that it drove me insane. She sounded like me when I'm wearing a brand new mouth splint.

Go to: