Regency Solitaire

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Regency Solitaire

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 16, 15 5:25 PM
GreyAlienGames wrote:
@valdy yes a few people have said they don't like looking at sideways cards (note that we never placed any upside down). The thing is you can make much more interesting and pretty designs with rotated cards, but maybe the trick is to only rotate them a bit, but never as far as sideways. We'll bear this in mind when designing levels for our next game.

I don't know how other players feel about cards being in a certain pattern, but it doesn't matter to me. I just prefer the cards to be straight up or as straight up as possible. In fact, I quite like the pyramid-type of design.

mangopie
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by mangopie on Feb 17, 15 9:28 PM
My quibble with this game is the requirement to collect a run (or combo) of a certain amount. I find the 2.0 or 3.0 etc. annoying. Could not you just state the required number of cards (Combo 18 etc.) so we don't have to sit there trying to puzzle out the requirements.
Thanks

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 17, 15 10:42 PM
Mangopie, that's exactly what I thought at first. But then I took a closer look at the Multiplier at the top left, and noticed that with each card (or cards) I add, the multiplier goes up. So keep an eye on that. The number goes up all the time, even when you only make small combos. But to reach 2.0, for example, you just have to keep adding cards until that number shows up.

Larissa_Jane
Flounder
Flounder
2,273 Posts

[Post New]by Larissa_Jane on Feb 18, 15 9:23 AM
Oh, Jake and Helen, please note that I DO enjoy the cards being turned, and seeing all the ingeneous patterns. It just hit me that an upside card would be the right way up!
I think that having bows on the cards and having to hit others several times over are interesting and unusual features.
The combos do not bother they just add more stress to my life (just kidding - bazooga).
Canada

Larissa_Jane
Flounder
Flounder
2,273 Posts

[Post New]by Larissa_Jane on Feb 18, 15 4:11 PM
a-po-pros of absolutely nothing I have noticed after I have achieved a remarkably long and required combo, that the next few hands seem to go wonderfully smoothly, without having to use aids to get the three golden stars.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Feb 18, 15 9:53 PM
I love this game. I like solitaire games in general but this tops them all. The beautiful pictures, beautiful music, and I am always a sucker for a nice romantic story. It was a bit of a challenge when I got to the very last scene at the ball. I had to think about it and the power ups etc, and how to accomplish the goals. I am very much looking forward to your next game. I will try this in the difficult mode and will probably play it over and over. (Valdy, I love spotting you and your wonderful reviews. You have become a sort of secret friend to me over the years. I am 78 yrs now and still love to play although I have changed from Hidden Objects (of which I have hundreds) to this type of game as well as some time management games.
Again, thank you developers for a fun-filled game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 19, 15 1:51 AM
Larissa_Jane wrote:Oh, Jake and Helen, please note that I DO enjoy the cards being turned, and seeing all the ingeneous patterns. It just hit me that an upside card would be the right way up!
Canada

Make up your mind. LOL

Well, it's not the upside-down cards that bother me. As you said, they are the same either way, but the ones that are lying sideways. I constantly have to move my head to see the cards properly, and don't like to do that.

--- --- ---

TheOldBag... nice to see you again.

Larissa_Jane
Flounder
Flounder
2,273 Posts

[Post New]by Larissa_Jane on Feb 19, 15 11:09 AM
gung hey fat choy to you too Valdy.
and as another old bag (75) I am allowed to make up my mind again and again and again!!!!

CANADA

Sherry__Rose
Minnow
Minnow
233 Posts

[Post New]by Sherry__Rose on Feb 19, 15 7:59 PM
Well, I just finished Regency Solitaire in normal mode, getting all gold. What an enjoyable and relaxing game this is! I'm looking forward to playing it again now in hard mode. Kudos to the developers, Jake and Helen!

And here's a little hint: If you use the original deck design with the characters on the cards, you can take notes of who is on each value and what that person is wearing. When you get to the later stages of the game when more of the cards are face-up, you'll be able to tell more clearly which card is beneath another card which will help you with decisions as to which card to choose when there is more than one choice.

Larissa_Jane
Flounder
Flounder
2,273 Posts

[Post New]by Larissa_Jane on Feb 20, 15 9:50 AM
began this game on Feb. 11 and just finished Feb. 20. Whew !!! is all I have to say.
This is probably the only Solitaire I have ever finished.
Do the rest of you fishies know that in England these types of games are called Patience. Guess we all know why.
I have another teeny-tiny quibble that I noticed when I had to continue my game in the middle of a hand. I noticed that when you return in the middle of a hand there is no reminder of the goals for that particular hand. You have to finish the hand to find out ! (which is no biggie).
I realise that this would mean an inordinate amount of programming to put that in, so I am not expecting Jake or Helen to do that.
I am now going to attempt this game in the more difficult mode. LOL
CANADA

Edited on 02/20/2015 at 9:51:46 AM PST

GreyAlienGames
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by GreyAlienGames on Feb 20, 15 11:54 AM
@dk5793 Ah yes someone else has asked for that feature so we'll have to think about how best to add it. Glad you liked the game, thanks!

@theoldbag Thanks! We're glad you enjoyed the game. Keep an eye out for the next one, later in the year hopefully!

@Sherry__Rose CONGRATS! Watch out, hard mode is ... hard ;-) Good tip on learning the card designs to help plan ahead with overlapped cards.

@Larissa_Jane CONGRATS AS WELL! Did you notice there's a GOALS button in the top right, under the Menu button? You can click that at any time to see you goals, such as when resuming a chapter. Hope that helps! (Guess we should have made it clearer!)

Larissa_Jane
Flounder
Flounder
2,273 Posts

[Post New]by Larissa_Jane on Feb 20, 15 12:41 PM
well, ! Never even saw the goals button. Thanks
Also, I did not realise that the faces of the cards could be changed (till I began the HARD mode). Obviously I am not the most observant fishie (swimming in the mud!).
actually I prefer the original faces with the king, queen, prince etc. much more fun seeing the characters integrated with the story.
still in CANADA

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Feb 21, 15 4:18 PM
I just finished playing Regency Solitaire, what a delightful game. I have not played a solitaire game in a long time, I usually play Hidden Object games. I loved everything about it, the graphic's the story, which I usually don't pay attention to. I liked it so much, I will probably play it again. I am not that good at card games, so this game was a challenge, at times, but nothing that was frustrating, just a very pleasant game play.

GreyAlienGames
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by GreyAlienGames on Mar 12, 15 7:14 AM
Just thought I'd pop in to explain about the update from 1.03 to 1.05 a bit more.

BFG said "This update lowers the difficulty for later levels within the game." That's not quite right...

What we did was kept all the goals the same in Normal and Hard mode BUT in Normal mode if you fail the goals it now says "Oops! You didn't complete the goals for this chapter. Do you want to retry this chapter or continue to the next one?".

This is because some people were enjoying the story but became frustrated when the chapter goals got too hard for them, and so now those people can skip ahead and still enjoy the story. Players who want to beat the goals can simply retry. Hard mode still requires you to beat the goals.

I hope that clears it up :-)

Larissa_Jane
Flounder
Flounder
2,273 Posts

[Post New]by Larissa_Jane on Mar 12, 15 3:56 PM
today is March 12, and I have just finished the game in hard mode. the very last hand was quite sneaky though. a combo of 35 cards when some of the hands did not even have 35 cards in them!
However, with great skillful (?) use of the 'power-ups' I was able to do it. I managed to use almost all of the "fan" cards but, "Gosh, golly, darn it, I done did it"

Also wanted to let you I appreciated that you let us keep any accumulated wild cards, if a hand had to be repeated.

Edited on 03/12/2015 at 3:59:24 PM PST

GreyAlienGames
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by GreyAlienGames on Mar 13, 15 2:37 PM
Congrats Larissa_Jane You have done very well as that last chapter is hard for the very reasons you have spotted. It would be impossible if we didn't let you keep wildcards from replays. Well hopefully you've left a nice review on the game page :-) Keep an eye out for our next game later in the year.

Also congrats rockey69. We're glad you enjoyed it so much, thanks for playing and please leave a review on the game page if you haven't already, thanks!

Edited on 03/13/2015 at 2:37:31 PM PST

[Post New]by Blooming_Lilac on Mar 20, 15 1:05 AM
Can someone please help me? This is one of my favorite games. I updated my display drivers, Adobe Flash, etc., and now I'm getting a black screen. It was working fine before. Each time I launch the game, I have to turn off my computer because I'm unable to exit via task manager. It won't let me Alt+Tab out either. I can't roll back any drivers because I have problems with other programs. Is there a graphics setting that might fix this? I have my default graphics properties set to application settings. I'm not sure what else to try as I have already uninstalled/reinstalled the game. Thanks in advance.

[Post New]by Blooming_Lilac on Mar 22, 15 8:59 PM
I'd like to thank you, Jake, for helping me get my game running again. Your customer service is fantastic, not to mention your prompt responses to my emails. I look forward to seeing what Grey Alien Games releases next.

Eggnoggin
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Eggnoggin on Apr 7, 15 4:19 PM
I'm loving this game! But something is bugging me, and I'd love an answer -- when the new hand is dealt, there's a little whistling sound and one (or more?) cards drop off the table. What are those cards?? Not the actual cards, but what is their purpose and how are they chosen? I've tried to see what's happening, but it just goes too fast. Thanks in advance for satisfying my curiosity!

Eggnoggin
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Eggnoggin on Apr 9, 15 5:03 PM
I have a suggestion for future games, and forgive me if someone has already mentioned this. When a chapter has the requirement of getting a certain number of stars, it would be great to be able to restart the chapter if you mess up and don't have enough hands left to get the stars even if you're perfect from that point on. For example, I need 22 more stars in the chapter I'm on now, and with a perfect run for the remaining hands, I'll still only get 21. But I need to play through, knowing that I'll have to play through again. I'm still loving the game, though!

Go to: