Hi All from the developer

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

Re:Hi All from the developer

[Post New]by Sante001 on Jul 1, 09 1:15 PM
Hi Bryce. This was one of the most challenging HOGs I've played. Like others, after playing the demo for 30 minutes, I had to purchase it. Yes, while some of the objects were hard to find, for me, this made the game really a keeper. And to have the objects change when you re-start the game/scene gives it great replay value!

Now, get to work on Handbook III. -- LOL

bjdonn
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by bjdonn on Jul 1, 09 5:43 PM
One of the best games in a long time. Love the challenge, definitely a keeper.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Jul 1, 09 10:32 PM
you're welcome to message me your feedback, or just post it here in the forums which I'll look at and respond when possible.

So what happened to Bryce? Hello??

Legendia
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by Legendia on Jul 2, 09 5:10 AM
ROTFL Hi Bryce!!!

mmaiden42
Stingray
Stingray
5,767 Posts

[Post New]by mmaiden42 on Jul 2, 09 6:52 AM
Excellent game. I do agree that a few of the scenes were not quite as clear as others. Sometimes it took forever to find a key in a scene but I kept looking until I found them. I tried to play the game without using any hints, but I ended up using a few. The scenes are so beautifully done. The colors are fantastic. The changes that happen when you are in certain scenes are so cool. i.e. when the tree changes and when the plant comes to life for it's feedings.
For a one man company, you are doing an excellent job. Please make more. I didn't think the items were too small, but I take off my glasses and put on #3.0 reading glasses when I play, so this probably makes a difference. This is one of those games that I want to play again and will probably end up playing it many times. I hope you are busy making a third one. ( And that should be ready next month, right?) Excellent Game.

missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

[Post New]by missy12 on Jul 2, 09 7:12 AM
bought your game loved it even tho the items were small.Ok i have question-the part where you are on the balcony,you look across and there is a castle.Is that where the next game will be?

[Post New]by BCSoftGames on Jul 2, 09 1:20 PM
I'm still here, I'm just enjoying listening to and learning from everyone's feedback, and trying not to hijack the forum too much!

To answer some of the questions posted, yes I did develop the first game in a similar fashion (designed, programmed, and produced).

Also I'm sorry for the pixelation problems some people seem to be running into; it's not something I've seen myself but there is about a zillion hardware combinations out there and its hard to predict how the game will work for each! I definitely have done my best to make the game look good, so its a bummer to hear some of you can't enjoy the great graphics Make sure to try changing your display resolution if you can; I know it can be annoying and I apologize for that. It sounds like that has worked pretty well for some people though...like I said its hard to predict how different video card/monitor combinations will behave! If this game is successful enough to warrant a successor (ie I don't have to get a new job!), I will be using a different graphics engine and a higher resolution of 1024x768 to improve the look and crispness of the game's graphics. This game's resolution is 800x600 because I didn't want to have too stiff of requirements (ie resolution and processing power required) which might keep people from being able to play the game! It looks like the casual communities' computers are getting advanced enough in general that the higher resolution and processing power isn't as limiting of a problem as it was a couple years ago when I started this game, so I appreciate your feedback about that!

I also quite like the idea of the ingame magnifying glass that some of you have suggested; I'm planning on putting that into my next game for sure! I will also re-evaluate object sizes again so thanks for the feedback on that; its an ongoing process of trying to get objects just the right size, but I think a higher resolution and magnifying glass will definitely fix the majority of the problems some of you have had!

I'm not sure what the balcony is that you referred to is, but I do have some great ideas for part 3 I just have to wait and see how this one does first!

Anyways, I'll continue to watch and listen to your feedback; its great fun to see an entire community discussing this game because it was such a fun, yet consuming and challenging project!

Cheers,

-Bryce (Owner BC Soft Games)

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Jul 2, 09 1:31 PM
This game's resolution is 800x600

Thanks for checking in Bryce.

[Post New]by ghostguide2002 on Jul 2, 09 1:35 PM
Hi ... I love the game so far ... but I'm having problems in the rooms with the "Ghost" in them ... the scene flashes ... other than that, I'm hoping it is a long game ... so far ... so good!

I put the game on "window mode" and that seems to help some, but not sure why the scenes where the ghost appear it does this, as my DVD driver is up to date ... with the newest version?

Jud

WinonaCook
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,870 Posts

[Post New]by WinonaCook on Jul 2, 09 1:49 PM
It looks like the casual communities' computers are getting advanced enough in general that the higher resolution and processing power isn't as limiting of a problem as it was a couple years ago when I started this game, so I appreciate your feedback about that!

Years???... Get to work Bryce. I will be purchasing this one...Thanx for stopping in

Winona

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jul 2, 09 2:15 PM
Thanks Bryce for the feedback

I defintitley thing a higher resolution rather than 800 x 600 is called for now and why some of us do not think the graphics great. I know the popularity of laptops and their limitiations have slowed down the progress for pc games as one has to cater for them too which many people buy now- if you can implement a hgher resolution would be great for me

lvd04
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by lvd04 on Jul 4, 09 4:21 PM
I love the first game and have played it many times. I don't like this sequal and will not be buying it. The first game had small objects with vibrant colors. This game looks all washed out and I can't find almost anything - especially having trouble finding the keys. I'm sure you worked very hard on this. I really enjoy HOGs in general, but do prefer those with more color.

Minnihopps
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Minnihopps on Jul 5, 09 9:40 AM
I tried the demo for 5 min and had to buy it. Exellent game, I love it.

sunny64
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by sunny64 on Jul 5, 09 3:48 PM
Hi Bryce, I have both games and replayed the first a number of times. I'm also really enjoying the second, although I have missed keys, particularly the black ones in darker areas. I do like the fact that both have replay value.

If you do develop number three, this will be on the purchase list.

Elle5512
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by Elle5512 on Jul 5, 09 4:42 PM
Glad you are checking the forums. it is great to give feedback directly to the developer of a game. i almost love both of these games. You did an amazing job with story and puzzles and beautiful graphics. all of that keeps me very interested and i like puzzles to challenge me. you offer an untimed version which is very important. my only complaint is some of the objects are so small and dark that i actually get a headache trying to locate them. i agree that it should be a challenge to find some objects but when i start suffering from eye strain it becomes too much. some of the items are impossible to see even with a hint and the keys are only if i get lucky enough to stumble upon them. keep up the great work but just lighten up a little. i am a fan and will continue to buy your games. i'm just asking for a little mercy in the eye strain dept.
thanks

pnk96722
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by pnk96722 on Jul 5, 09 6:05 PM
For those having pixelation problems, in the Options menu you can uncheck the 3-D box and it should help, if changing the resolution didn't take care of the problem.

My problem is that nothing happens when I click on Reveal and I've noticed others are having the same problem.

I think its great that Bryce wants us to leave comments for him!

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Jul 5, 09 6:31 PM
in the Options menu you can uncheck the 3-D box and it should help,

There is no 3-D box to uncheck in the Options. Not in my demo anyway. That's the first thing I look for before starting a game.

Burgy
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by Burgy on Jul 6, 09 6:33 AM
The game is finished and I loved the basic premise of the game, BUT...too many of the objects were simply too difficult to find...too tiny with unidentifiable shapes. This made it necessary to use too many reveals, which I don't like doing.

Keys? Oh my.....those were also WAY too hard to find.

Hard is one thing...impossible is frustrating.

The puzzles were fun, but the same holds true. No way to solve most of them without using reveal too much.

I'm glad I purchased the game and did enjoy playing it through to the end, but it would have been much more enjoyable if it had been more of a workout for my brain, and less for my mouse finger and patience over clicking the reveal button and waiting for it to recharge.

So, Bryce...thank you for a really good game and I'll look forward to your next one. But please do make it a TAD more do-able...Pleeeeeeze?

[Post New]by redmitzi on Jul 6, 09 6:36 PM
I enjoyed this game. Loved the way it was a little diff than your usual hidden object games. I thought it was a little harder to find things but not so much I had to seek a walkthru help. I had no problems with graphics as some mentioned? I went back and checked out the first magic handbook but I like this one better! GOOD JOB.

RoverD
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by RoverD on Jul 7, 09 3:55 AM
I really enjoyed the first game and was having fun with this one until I came to the Crypt of Heroes Puzzle. I have found all of the pieces of the 6 statutes and the bases go down and "ding." But the scrool does not appear. I have referred to two differnet walkthroughs and seem to have found all of the items they have circled. Have had no other major problems up to this point. The graphics are great and the characters fascinating. Some of the objects are quite small but I am considering it great exercise for my eyes. The keys are the hardest to find when they take an unusual form. I really like the puzzles. They are fairly easy to solve, but interesting because they are not the old tried and true ones I find in so many games. I am looking forward to your next issue. I hope the "Magician" has a long history ahead.

Go to: