Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

Re:Department 42: The Mystery of the Nine comments and reviews

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jul 12, 09 4:07 PM
Because people have asked here's my review quoted from the topic I mistakenly posted in Chit-Chat, not being aware of this Forum already being up or of this sticky. That said it ain't much of a review, just a quicky, and it's been covered much more thoroughly above.

Only things to add is I loved this game right up until the end, took me probably 5+ hours using hints only when really stumped and reading all the stories, which I thought were great. The cursor hot spot is definitly picky which was my only annoyance. Oh, and the last mini-game I was crap at and had to skip, which was a bit of an anti-climax, but my own fault for not being willing to work it out. I skipped one other (a random dice game I found uninteresting as no skill involved) but most were good and challenging. All were different.

I knew we had a shot at something special when I saw Frogwares was the developer. They make good stuff.

Excellent game! Super clear graphics with adjustable gamma. NO TIMER. (tho one quick click mini so far, I managed it first go). Challenging but not crazy hard, pretty logical inventory puzzles. Well hidden but not toooo jumbled hidden object searches. It seems to have pretty good duration for this sort of game. I'm about 2/3 thru at the 3+ hour or so mark, so I'll get probaly 4.5 hours or so out of it, which is excellent. I do read all the story stuff and don't use hints until desperate, so your mileage may vary of course. Refillable hints (slow) and skippable mini games - but you must wait to skip them. Good variety in those.

Only complaints I had is a bit of a sluggish cursor, but can speed up my gamer mouse on the fly, so that's a small issue, and the hidden object hotspots are picky where you click.

Still, definite Poodlebear Approved and

phlsteen
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by phlsteen on Jul 12, 09 5:20 PM
I have to say, this is one great game. I really thought I was pretty much over HOGs until I bought this one.

Objects are well hidden but not ridiculously so. They're even creatively hidden - for example, there's one scene where you need to find a particular animal, but only the animal's ears are visible. They jump out at you once you see them, but this game requires you to be a little sharper, a little more observant.

The puzzles are generally very good and there is a variety I've never seen before in a game of this type. I still haven't worked out the last puzzle of the game, but suppose I eventually will.

I even got into the storyline with this one, which I rarely do.

And it's obvious from the game's end that a sequel is planned.

Way to go for to the developers. This is a keeper.

jhlipton
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by jhlipton on Jul 12, 09 5:30 PM
This gets a pass from me. The combination of hard-to-spot items with a tiny hot-spot makes it a case of "pixel-hunting". And 2 minutes between hints is far too long.

Then, like nightstork, my game froze just as I cured the werewolf, with 3 minutes left to play. When I restarted, I was at the lab, but without the blood. Phooey.

I can wait for the next Magic Encyclopedia or Magic Island. Those games are fun!

pnk96722
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by pnk96722 on Jul 12, 09 6:39 PM
lordkalvan wrote:What I refer to as windowed mode is when the game is in a window, so that I can minimize it easily, and have some other window open (and visible) at the same time. Most of the time when I'm playing games Monday-Friday, I am "on call" at work, so I have to respond to email and IM immediately. Yes I know all about alt-tab, but when playing full screen mode I don't always SEE the pop-ups about the email or IM. With windowed mode, I can just mouse over the bottom of my monitor and check to make sure that nothing snuck by me while I was concentrating on a puzzle, then go directly back to the game if there's nothing showing. I tried changing to a smaller resolution but it still filled the entire screen for me, just using images that weren't as sharp.

A quick way to minimize a full screen game is to use either ALT/TAB or CNTRL/ESC. Russ told me about that one.

Marg2
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Marg2 on Jul 12, 09 8:31 PM
Just want to add my voice to all the people who already have expressed their appreciation to BF for bringing us such a wonderful game. I found it to be thoroughly enjoyable in spite of some minor flaws, i.e., a Stop is really a Do Not Enter sign, and a couple of other misnomers. The game is so well done, graphics, design, length, good background music, that it overrides any imperfection. The graphic artists did a fantastic,very skillful, job hiding the objects, no shrinking and hiding them in dark places here. The mini games are fun, and some are quite challenging. And yes, since I don't seem to get through any HOG without hints, I also wish the hint button would recharge a little faster. There were times when I was stumped and wished for a walkthrough, but somehow I managed to make it to the end. Bottom line - this game gets two thumbs up. LOVE IT!

MSJMOM
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by MSJMOM on Jul 13, 09 9:55 AM
Wow, this is the first game in a long time to get such good reviews! I was looking at this last night, but I think tonight I will give it a go!

Thanks for all the reviews.

[Post New]by julieduncan on Jul 13, 09 10:09 AM
This game looks like a great one but it keeps freezing up so I haven't really been able to play the demo for more than 5 minutes.

bailey10
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by bailey10 on Jul 13, 09 11:48 AM

I loved this game!!! I liked the graphics, the storyline, the countless hours of play, and the mini games! I do admit that I had to skip a few of the mini games, bc I could not figure out how to solve some of them, but all in all I enjoyed the game!

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on Jul 13, 09 3:21 PM
I've just finished this game and I loved it - lovely clear graphics, no timer and the puzzles made you really think, these types of HOGs / adventure are my favourite. Well done BF a really great game

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on Jul 14, 09 5:17 AM
silkywings wrote:Ok Ok everyone..I like it I really like it...BUT I can't get past using the knife to open the four screws on the panel...I would love to get into the game MORE but just can't figure it out. I only have 30 minutes left on the trial and I need to get through more mainly to see if the game can load properly on my old computer. Thanks for any help! Do I need a knife sharpener? (LOLl)

Place the knife on each of the 4 screws to open it.

Margie B

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jul 14, 09 8:03 AM
Thanks everyone for the information...I am downloading demo now. Been "needing" a game and it looks like this is the one...

schuldi
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by schuldi on Jul 14, 09 11:46 AM
I just want to add that I love this game and..............when I bought it it repeated an area I was in on the demo and to my delight the objects to find were all different. So if you play the game again, if someone else hasn't already said, things are different to look for. Not all games are that way.

[Post New]by normallee on Jul 14, 09 6:44 PM
I have a problem. I cannot light the Shahman's peace pipe. I have tried many times to light it with the embers but I guess I'm not hitting the right spot or some thing. I have moved it around all over the place but it will not light. What am I doing wrong.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jul 15, 09 7:28 AM
I finished this game in about seven or eight hours, because it`s so hard. It`s one of the best HOGS I have ever played, I played almost all (I have appr. 400 games).
I give it a great /

Edited on 07/15/2009 at 7:36:16 AM PST

[Post New]by fairybubbles007 on Jul 15, 09 7:29 AM
I enjoyed this game very much and bought it as soon as I could

teeitup46ok
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,217 Posts

[Post New]by teeitup46ok on Jul 16, 09 7:58 AM
I absolutely "LOVE" this game. After the demo, I just had to keep playing and bought it even though I have a credit coming on the 20th. Could not quit thinking about it at work and went straight to the computer when I got home which I rarely do. The puzzles are intriguing and challenging, the hidden objects are not too obvious, and I just like the overall feel of the game. I have just finished the first case (I like to take my time on games and enjoy the fun) so this will give me many hours of enjoyment. Thanks BF for bringing this to us. You've got a winner here!!

justnorma
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by justnorma on Jul 16, 09 9:52 AM
I finished this game last night. The "hot spot" problem seemed to get dramatically worse during the last 3 or 4 chapters.

The puzzles are super. I didn't have the patience during the game to accomplish a few of them.

I was thrilled to learn that I can go back and play the puzzles only.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jul 16, 09 11:41 AM
This is a great thread. The game seems a bit of a departure for Frogwares (Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened / Dracula Origin), but it seems an intriguing enough Hidden Object Game for me to give it a go. After RtoR, the rest of the genre seems a bit insipid.

cnmoore
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by cnmoore on Jul 16, 09 3:41 PM
Best graphics I have ever seen in a hidden object game. Very high resolution: nice and sharp at 1280 x 1024. And the scenes are beautiful, the gameplay fun, puzzles not too hard.

MamaK9
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by MamaK9 on Jul 16, 09 4:07 PM
I'm a fairly new member and after purchasing some 40 + games, I really felt the need to comment on how excellent this game is! The graphics are the best I've seen yet. I'm only on case #5 but the first 4 were amazing. I admit I never did beat the "Trickster" and finally had to give up on the puzzle Legba, but this type of puzzle has always been hard for me.
I read a post from someone who said there might be a sequel to this and I'll keep fingers crossed!
Thanks Big Fish for all your games, but this one goes to the top of my list.

Go to: