shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

Re:TGT (YEA!) - Department 42: The Mystery of the Nine

[Post New]by shadowdiana on Jul 11, 09 10:50 AM
....and the reviews will NOT be just s
All are welcome to post their reviews and opinions there. I hope Poodle and LK keep it up; I rely on their reviews
Just keep it to reviews, no spoilers

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Jul 11, 09 10:51 AM
It's a small change ... going to the review thread at the top of the game forum instead of in chit-chat. If we all keep our reviews in the review thread for that game, every fish can find it ... even weeks after the release, not just the first day. Otherwise, it just gets buried. And, this means reviews will be in one place ... instead of in several threads which quickly move off the top 3 chit-chat or game forum pages.
.....We also have to remind fish that the review thread is not for posting questions for game problems or answering those questions.
..... This is just one more small step BFG has taken to keep our chit-chat tab free of game focused threads.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Jul 11, 09 11:02 AM
I agree Cesse. I am really liking this new system. In the past it was so frustrating to search out a game and have to look through possibly hundreds of posts to get reviews on it and then possibly stumble across solutions to puzzles. Now all the reviews are going to be together in the game forum and so easy to find.

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Jul 11, 09 11:13 AM
I agree that the change is for the better. If we don't want to know the solution to some puzzle we have not yet encountered, then we read the reviews only under the game name. I agree that trying to find a game before was frustrating. This way there is a place for everything and everything has its place. The OC in me likes that!

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jul 11, 09 11:21 AM
They can still have an official review thread there forever for ongoing reviews for years to come on games.
Chit chat is a very wide term and chit chatting informally for 24 hours about the games first impressions was part of the TGT deal I always thought.

It was part of the TGT charm- for 24 hours the TGT was not just a game in a list of 800 but given special treatment.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jul 11, 09 11:27 AM
I don't mind to go to the specific forum - but it means, that the Chit-Chat corner is from now on restricted only to the "Bla-Bla-Bla" stuff. And I am not a good "bla-bla-er"...

Is that YOU want? (I mean BF team)

missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

[Post New]by missy12 on Jul 11, 09 11:34 AM
downloading now hope its a good game.I need a HOG fix.

CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Jul 11, 09 11:34 AM
sillyfeet wrote: TGT is not going to have it's own thread...rather the reviews for the newest game will be in that game forum. So just go to the forum for that particular game and you will be able to read reviews. I understand there is some sort of link to "newest game forum" but it is not working right now...so just go to "all game forums" and find the forum you are looking for.

Thanks Silly - that makes sense and I agree that it will be easier that way to find reviews anytime if they are contained in one post on the game's forum page. My only other hope is that the review post is stickied so that it doesn't get buried. Thanks again...

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jul 11, 09 11:39 AM
The review thread in Dept 42 forum is stickied.

bfgEuphrates
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,152 Posts

[Post New]by bfgEuphrates on Jul 11, 09 11:51 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to drop in and let you all know that we aren't trying to take away from the awesome reviews that some of you put up, we're just trying to make the forums easier to navigate for all of our users. We encourage you all to post anything you think about games, because everyone has a different opinion and diverse reviews can really help someone decide if they'll like a game.

Since we now have forums set up automatically for Tomorrow's Game Today, and we now have one for Department 42: Mystery of the Nine, I've gone ahead and moved this thread over there. Just a heads up!

Happy gaming everyone!

bfgEuphrates

LogieBaby
Clownfish
Clownfish
603 Posts

[Post New]by LogieBaby on Jul 11, 09 12:28 PM
what do you get when you cross a poodle with a bear???

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Jul 11, 09 1:10 PM
poodlebear please do not stop posting your reviews i always read them because i know if you like the game then i will. even on old games that i have not tried i will go to the game forum and look through all the threads until i find your review.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Jul 11, 09 3:10 PM
we're just trying to make the forums easier to navigate for all of our users.

Exactly! Remember, there are a lot of people who come to the forum, but don't post. I agree with Sillyfeet and Cesse as far as their comments. I am loving the new changes and hope to see even more. Maybe we should all remember that this is BF's site and they do what they feel the majority wants and what is best for everyone.

It's a minor change (for the better IMHO) and people will get used to it. Poodlebear can still post her great reviews as can anyone else and now we can see them all in one place instead of rumaging through the gazillion threads on the forum. We might even see the return of some wonderful old timers of the forum like EdnaMoles!

Let's all approach this with an open mind and not a "well, I'll just take my ball and go home then" thought.

These are my opinions as given to me by my cats.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jul 11, 09 3:49 PM
The main problem I see is that unless the TGT's forum is linked over in the "newest forum" or from the download page, fishies who want to read the reviews before they download it will have to know the exact name of the game in order to find it in All Game Forums instead of just heading to chit-chat.

Now, if TGT's game can have the forum created at the same time, if it can also have the link to the forums posted on the download page, that would be just about perfect, even if it's not going to show as the newest forum.

edit: one more problem is that at least currently when a thread is stickied you can't tell if there's an unread post in it when you are looking at the list of threads in the forum.

Edited on 07/11/2009 at 3:53:00 PM PST

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Jul 11, 09 4:42 PM
fishies who want to read the reviews before they download it will have to know the exact name of the game in order to find it in All Game Forums

The exact name of the game is written under it's picture on BF's Home page, on the picture of the game & on the page where you download the demo. Just go to "All Games Forum" tab and find the game.

Now, if TGT's game can have the forum created at the same time, if it can also have the link to the forums posted on the download page,

There was a forum created at the same time the game was posted as TGT. Go to the page where you download the demo and over to the middle left is a link that says: "Get Tips In The Forum" which takes you right to this games forum page.

[Post New]by fairhavenfish01 on Jul 11, 09 4:43 PM
Well said, LK.

Poodlebear, we know you and appreciate your great reviews. I will search, whereever they put your review...

Love ya!

Fair

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jul 11, 09 4:58 PM
Thanks so much for all the positive words about my reviews. I will be putting future reviews in the game specific forums if there will be a review sticky. I did like seeing the TGT threads in Chit-Chat for the first 24 hours of a game, but this is an ok change if it's linked and stickied.

I started a discussion about all this (not about this game) in Chit-Chat. I'd love to see everyone repeat their thoughts there so hears all the opinions.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Jul 11, 09 6:33 PM
lordkalvan wrote:The main problem I see is that unless the TGT's forum is linked over in the "newest forum" or from the download page, fishies who want to read the reviews before they download it will have to know the exact name of the game in order to find it in All Game Forums instead of just heading to chit-chat.

Now, if TGT's game can have the forum created at the same time, if it can also have the link to the forums posted on the download page, that would be just about perfect, even if it's not going to show as the newest forum.

edit: one more problem is that at least currently when a thread is stickied you can't tell if there's an unread post in it when you are looking at the list of threads in the forum.

To address your concerns:
The forum is linked from the download page. All you have to do is click on "get help in our forums" and bingo, you're there.
If you are looking at the game download page then you know the name of the game. And the BF home page shows the name of TGT right there.
The forum is created at the same time.
Even when a thread is stickied it shows the last poster and the time of their post...so if you know about what time you posted or what time you last looked at the thread, then you can figure out if there are any new posts.

I know we don't always do well with change, but this is really something minor and just something we all have to get used to. And I think it's a great change and shows BF was listening to the majority of posters who asked for it. Thank you.

duchesse67
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by duchesse67 on Jul 12, 09 2:55 AM
cesse 47 wrote
...Just a reminder to everyone ... the three changes discussed in this thread were all things that fish in the Pond requested and on which BFG delivered. ---
1. We wanted our TGT back on the BFG home page - now it is!!
2. Because Chit-Chat would get flooded with new threads for TGT games, we asked for the Game Forum to be created at the time the game was offered -- now it is!!
3. We asked that a review thread be created at the same time as the game forum and be stickied to the top of that game's forum where everyfish could find it easily -- now it is!!

...I think BFG has listened to us and made the changes we requested. Poodlebear and others can quickly find the review thread to write their reviews. And then, all fish can find the review thread quickly ... even several days after the release when it's usually buried several pages deep.
...It's just a couple of changes that I'm sure we'll quickly get used to. Happy Gaming everyone!!

and I thank you for these words, because thats right.

duchesse 67

Gill_Dudley
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by Gill_Dudley on Jul 12, 09 3:50 PM
Well I finished it and I really enjoyed it gotta say that at times it took about 30 seconds to jump from one scene to another, I'm not sure if that was just my computer though. I loved this had a ring of RTR about it. The mini games were ok a few a bit difficult without that skip option I doubt I would have bought it. Mainly it was the games that you had to complete in a certain number of moves. The next step was not always easy to predict and the clues did not always give you the answer but if you keep on going from one location to another and also scan round the room you will get there in the end

Go to: