julesyhedgehog
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

Re:Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships comments and reviews

[Post New]by julesyhedgehog on Mar 1, 10 7:20 PM
My personal opinion, but I would skip FINAL SCENE and HAUNTED CAROUSEL.

WHITE WOLF has at least 2 very frustrating puzzles in it but the rest is good.

KAPU CAVE is very very short. You may not like having used a credit on a short game.

I would recommend both DECEPTION ISLAND and SCARLET HAND, both among my favorites.

DANGER BY DESIGN is okay. Not one of my favorites but I don't hate it either.

julesy

KC_Granny
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by KC_Granny on Mar 16, 10 8:15 PM
I'm so sorry this is the first Nancy Drew game I purchased. And it is absolutely the last. If I had known you can't do this game without great dexterity I would have known to pass. WARNING: Do not purchase this game unless you are really quick with a mouse and have great dexterity and a lot of patience. There is a monkey game you can't win. And you can't skip. So - you just delete it and go on with your life.

[Post New]by rainmoe on Apr 4, 10 1:33 PM
KC_Granny wrote:I'm so sorry this is the first Nancy Drew game I purchased. And it is absolutely the last. If I had known you can't do this game without great dexterity I would have known to pass. WARNING: Do not purchase this game unless you are really quick with a mouse and have great dexterity and a lot of patience. There is a monkey game you can't win. And you can't skip. So - you just delete it and go on with your life.

hello KC Granny, ..right on, I am 74 and have always bought the ND games and loved them all but this one is just a horrible one. I will never buy another game without reading this forum. This is one game I think should be taken off the market.

The monkey game is impossible for some one that is not so quick of hand. I got the trigger needed to win. And yep i dumped the game..

[Post New]by LittleSpoo on Apr 28, 11 3:50 PM
I didn't like this game either. I've enjoyed a lot of ND games in the past, but with this one I had so many issues.

The car, the boat, and Nancy diving with the metal detector were hard to maneuover and got tiresome.

Some of the puzzles were confusing. Conversation was not very fun as I got tired of the parrot. Decoding was ridiculously hard, partly my fault since I assumed the code would be the same throughout, assumed the metal ring code thing was correctly set, etc. Yeah, when you assume.

The bat caves...was I the only one who didn't realize for a long time that there was more than one cave?

The Sudoku COULD have been fun if I had enough time to figure it out.

I often use a walkthrough with ND games just as a help when I get totally stuck. With this game I needed it waaaay too often, especially when trying to figure out the book. Then I got toward the end of the game...and knew I was not going to be able to solve the puzzles myself...and I quit. Reading the walkthrough, I honestly don't see how on earth I could have solved those puzzles. They just are not logical.

[Post New]by auggierose on Jul 13, 11 8:35 AM
I thought it was boring. You're mainly just looking for treasure, not solving a mystery. Some of the puzzles were hard, and there were a lot of them. The graphics were not that good, either. It all looks like a cheap game. There weren't a lot of characters. It was just George, Bess, the guy camping out on the island, and Coucou and the monkeys, if they count. Coucou was cute, though.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 31, 12 4:45 PM
If you are an arcade, and time management player and also love hard puzzles gamer then this is your game and I really recommend it to you but for anyone else unless you play every ND there is, I can't as you can't even skip any puzzles.

The great thing about nancy drew games is the ability to keep the games different. Some are mostly adventure games, others adventure/puzzles with lots of small puzzles in it, here it feels like one long puzzle game with adventure put in occasionally. This is the hardest game I've every played (way more than safecracker) purely because of the type puzzles. If you hate timed puzzles then you will hate this, as there are a lot of arcade or timing puzzles in this and two huge as in hard timed puzzles. A Sudoku one and not giving too much away 'hourglass' one.

The sudoku one if anyone can do that in situ in the game and not 'cheat' (take screenshot of it do it at leisure then go back and do it, you deserve title of gamer of the decade!) but at least you can get through it that way. The other one I just couldn't do, my timing is so off and we are talking 1 sec on one aspect makes all the difference type puzzle. I tried all the walkthoughs (which gave me different numbers) and still couldn't manage it, until I did it by fluke.

I'm spending so much time in this review mentioning timed puzzles to tell you how hard it was and how many timed elements were throughout this game. The rest of the puzzles were cryptograms, riddles and a lot of reading one book for clues for everywhere else in the game.

When I first started playing this I thought this could even be one of my favourite Nancy Drew but the cons quickly detracted from my enjoyment which was a shame as if they were addressed as well as being able to skip puzzles this would have been a very good game.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 31, 12 4:46 PM
continued

CONS -

- Lack of characters you interact with. It's George, Bess and one other, no phone calls or anyone else.

- Driving around the island to get anywhere and it's zoomed in so it's hard to remember where everything is. If they had a transporter map, that would have been great.

- Sailing. I didn't find it as bad as the driving but I ended up ignoring the co-ordinates as didn't find them accurate so it took up a lot of time.

-Plot, the initial why you were there plot was bad as there weren't that many people involved and hated the ending *seriously I'm supposed to guess that a character from a game I haven't played is going to be in disguise and be the 'baddie' but as there weren't many characters in it, it was 50/50 who it was.*
The secondary plot of treasure hunting was well done and if you like that and deciphering sometimes hard clues (and a cryptogram was hard!) then you will enjoy that part.

- In other ND games you know when it goes to the 1D view from the top very basic graphics? Well here it's with the car and boat and a couple of other times.

This is a game that I think most people would have to look either at a hint website or walkthrough even if it's to double check puzzles that you've got the objective right.

It's one of the later games so no interface taking up half the screen and as usual, there is a choice to play junior or senior. Junior gives you a helpful task list which is useful when you are stuck, and you don't need to look at it but it's there if you want it. Also some puzzles are easier than senior mode.

You have to manually save the game (clicking on the save box enables you to write your game save.) There is achievements in this ND games, as with most of them. You don't know what they are until after the credits but if you do an internet search for them you can find out what they are if you want to.

I'm just glad I finally finished this game as one puzzle had me abandoning this game for months but hopefully the next ND game will be back to their normal hardness and not all those timed elements! And I love puzzles (logical ones!)

As I can't in good conscience recommend this game to anyone other than a specific gamer (who likes timed puzzle games or a ND fan who will play every game) it pains me to say I can't recommend it.

Edited on 10/31/2012 at 4:48:07 PM PST

[Post New]by loveme20001 on Mar 19, 14 6:29 AM
I need help on the scuba closet have all of ND's games and I love them all but at some times I need help to get thought them.

Go to: