gemmabloom
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

Re:Mystery Masterpiece: The Moonstone comments and reviews

[Post New]by gemmabloom on Jul 25, 09 7:25 PM
Pinky559 wrote:hidden objects way too small most of my hour i was in just two rooms a nd did not finish either I was very unhappy with this game

Sorry to say, I too was disappointed. Many of the objects are so small they can barely be seen. I quit the demo after 20 minutes and put drops in my eyes. This looked like a good one, but I won't be buying.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jul 25, 09 8:08 PM
I have had this happen to me twice. I have to stop somewhere so twice when I quit the game and later returned I was not where i left off. Both times I had founs an item or items needed in the Tools and both times an item was missing. I had to find a Tool a second time as well as the thing I needed to "fix". This is NOT a big thing but the items being so tiny, it is irksome to have to find something more than once.

[Post New]by _anitagates on Jul 25, 09 8:24 PM
I know there are people who keep saying they don't like the small objects in this game. Well at least when you play it, it takes longer than an hour or two to play the whole game. I have bought some like that and was very disappointed. I like them where you play for a very long time. If it only takes you a couple of hours then it isn't worth buying!

Annietano
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by Annietano on Jul 25, 09 8:48 PM
My frustration came when I was trying to get the fingerprints to show up on that bottle. I would use the dust brush to bring some of them up but I realized that some of them were also located on the desk on which the bottle was placed, and they happened to be near the "BACK" button. So before I knew it, I was "back" at the scene, the one in which I clicked on the bottle to begin with. 6 times I had to re-dust for prints, and 6 times I was taken "back" to the room without the bottle being taken off the list of needed items. That's when I shut down for the night and said, "to heck with it!" Unfortunate, too, since I had already bought the game. I had no problems during the first 60 minutes, wouldn't you know it? Other than that glitch, I really like the game. Yes, some items are small, but not too small for my liking. I really like the music. While one of you reported turning it down, I turned it UP! :-)

OldLady50
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by OldLady50 on Jul 25, 09 9:03 PM
Love the music, story, etc., but I am STUCK while brushing for fingerprints. All the side games were slow to load and solve, but this one is NOT working. Any suggestions from other gamers out there. I brush and brush and brush, but the fingerprints only partially appear. Help!

Pinky559
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by Pinky559 on Jul 25, 09 10:33 PM
has anyone had a problem in Franklin workshop? I found the robe and now I should be finished with this scene and the robe remains in clue list. I used the mag glass , so I have done everything and I cant advance to next suspect. What am I doing wrong?

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jul 25, 09 10:45 PM
I purchased this game today. I really enjoyed it. Hoping that 2nd game will have some new placement of items.
Wish the game was longer.

Jennypenny
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by Jennypenny on Jul 25, 09 10:55 PM
I can't seem to get past the cousin, Drusilla. I found the pamphlet and took the magnifying glass and found out what it says about Rachel, but I can't seem to get the 'evidence card' after that. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? The board on the left-hand side keeps saying 'pamphlet'. I have the pamphlet and know what the secret message is but nothing is happening.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

hollie96
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by hollie96 on Jul 25, 09 11:12 PM
Deleted after finishing demo. Items WAY too tiny, and I have *good* eyesight. Nothing like playing a game where you have to crouched right up on top of the screen in order to hope to find the items.
Also, game froze up right before demo ended. I had a dusty bottle and was trying the items in my inventory on it, and the scissors just froze up, stuck to my cursor. (No, I don't know why I tried them or what effect I thought scissors would have on dust, so hush) Couldn't put them down, couldn't click on anything on the screen. Just sat back and waited a couple minutes for demo to run out on it's on and turn off.

CYNTHIA
Stingray
Stingray
5,782 Posts

[Post New]by CYNTHIA on Jul 26, 09 5:12 AM
Hi Hollie; I had same problem but I was stuck with duster/brush over pointer. I had to dust bottle twice then had two message boxes superimposed (like that word?)on top of each other. Couldn't get rid of brush; had to exit game and reopen.
I like the game; excellent graphics; good sound and story; but slow response to click and movement between rooms. Games would freeze for a short period quite often; very frustrating. Some items were small and confusing and some seem to need to be clicked in specific places; clicked scissors any number of times before i found the "right" spot. Don't know if I want to risk buying the games with these problems.
Tried un-installing and re-install to solve problems but that did not help and also took a long time to install for the size of the game.

Edited on 07/26/2009 at 5:15:11 AM PST

[Post New]by kww355 on Jul 26, 09 5:53 AM
I've played and bought some wonderful games here ( including some betas ), but this isn't one of them. I have to agree with several posters here that the hidden items are way too small, as are the "hot spots". HOG are my favorites, I rarely play any other type. But this one was a trial as opposed to being fun.

I welcome a certain degree of difficulty, but this one was just tedious.

missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

[Post New]by missy12 on Jul 26, 09 5:58 AM
downloading the game now hope i like it.Need a HOG fix.will let you know if i like it or not.happy gaming all.have a good day.

[Post New]by Erika_Leigh28 on Jul 26, 09 7:31 AM
A couple of really annoying things in this game are the objects at the bottom of the screen. Some of them are so low I have to switch to windowed view just to click on them. The skip button doesn't work quickly. Most annoying of all is I can't get past Dr. Candy because in the billiard room there is supposed to be a magnifying glass to look at his medical book notes in the margins. Well there is no magnifying glass and I played twice through as different players thinking it was a glitch but second time same thing no mag glass it's just not listed in the items on the left so when I find everything sans glasBs in the billiard room it says room finished. Don't they check these things b4 they put them out. Because of obviousl lack of testing the game before I give this 2 stars

[Post New]by fixitman222 on Jul 26, 09 7:42 AM
Erika_Leigh28 wrote:A couple of really annoying things in this game are the objects at the bottom of the screen. Some of them are so low I have to switch to windowed view just to click on them. The skip button doesn't work quickly. Most annoying of all is I can't get past Dr. Candy because in the billiard room there is supposed to be a magnifying glass to look at his medical book notes in the margins. Well there is no magnifying glass and I played twice through as different players thinking it was a glitch but second time same thing no mag glass it's just not listed in the items on the left so when I find everything sans glasBs in the billiard room it says room finished. Don't they check these things b4 they put them out. Because of obviousl lack of testing the game before I give this 2 stars

Sounds like you are playing through the version of the game that was accidentally released early. There was that problem in that version. You may need to download the latest version, and then delete all of your player profiles and create a new one.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jul 26, 09 11:30 AM
A good solid HOG with an interesting story

Most of the time I skip the fluff and unappealing stories that accompany hidden object games but this one is different. I eagerly listened to every part of the story and read all of the clues. I found that I wanted to know about each suspect and how their story intertwined with all of the others. Perhaps for me the story was the best part of the game.

Some of the hidden objects are tiny and others are very well hidden but because of the clarity of the resolution of the scenes even the smallest objects can be seen. I used a few hints along the way but not too many. I did not find it tedious when searching for the items.

One negative in the hidden object scenes is that the field of recognition to click on an object is too small. Some of the objects are not recognized and cleared unless you click on a tiny corner of the object. The game doesn't respond if you click on any part of the object as it should. This is especially frustrating in a game where the objects are so small.

One aspect of the hidden object scenes that I appreciated a lot was that the hidden objects were to scale, from the time period, and were in places that made sense. You didn’t see any giant ink pens upside down on the ceiling. All of the items were in places where you could reasonably expect to see them in real life. I applaud the game developers for putting the time and thought into that aspect of the game.

The part of the game where you gather tools to reveal clues was an enjoyable diversion. There was nothing difficult and no challenge to any of the clue puzzles. I think the game would have been better with slightly more difficult puzzles.

By the end of the game it was clear who the thief was but it was interesting to see the details of how it was accomplished.

When you replay the game it is exactly the same. The hidden objects are all the same. They appear on the list in a different order but none of the items or clues or tools change in subsequent plays. There is no scoring so you don’t have any incentive to improve your score. But six months from now I can play it again just for the challenge of seeing how much I remember.

Edited on 07/26/2009 at 11:33:09 AM PST

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Jul 26, 09 11:37 AM
I really like this game, my only problem is with the curser. You can't skip the dialogue, because it gets stuck. Will big fish fix this problem?

[Post New]by bawal104 on Jul 26, 09 11:47 AM
I am stuck in Druscilla's room trying to find the rose petal. HELP!!!!!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jul 26, 09 11:55 AM
I purchased the game immediately. Very great HOG but you need very good eyes. I like it and I can recommed it. I give it ! Well done

kcojco
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by kcojco on Jul 26, 09 12:39 PM
I'm sorry a wasted a credit on this,started freezing up in the dialogues (couldn't skip them, they started looping) and ended up being to short

wolfrun_cb1
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by wolfrun_cb1 on Jul 26, 09 12:54 PM
The objects are way too fuzzy and small in this game. It also freezes constantly. Not very challenging either.

Go to: