Re:Delaware St. John - The Curse of Midnight Manor Forum comments and reviews

[Post New]by crystal_lite11 on Aug 11, 09 12:52 PM
chick52 wrote:Sorry but it sounds like its not for me either.

Too much Dialogue in this for me don't even get a full hour's demo I will Not be buying this game for simple reason we can't stop the dialogue it might have been a good game but it's messed up with too much talking !!!!!

[Post New]by conconhead on Aug 11, 09 1:45 PM
I agree with a majority of the reviews - the long unskippable credits, the lack of skipping through dialogue (especially if you're a no-speaker player like myself), the lack of a windowed mode and the clunky, often pointless interface and 'closeups'. It has promise but it really needs to address these major issues before it will become a viable purchase.

badoodie
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by badoodie on Aug 11, 09 7:28 PM
<Rant mode on>
One of my biggest pet peeves with game trials is the amount of time wasted with narrating the storyline and not being able to skip through it. 8 minutes for narration, credits, and unnecessary dialogue before any gameplay can start?! Seriously? If I decide to buy the game I'll check out the storyline. Credits need to come at the end of the game. Will not buy because right now I'm seriously irritated.
<Rant mode off>

[Post New]by pocowink on Aug 11, 09 10:54 PM
I like it but l got to the eletric boxes and ended back where l started and she said same thing over so , so its seems l didn't have any luck

[Post New]by pocowink on Aug 11, 09 10:57 PM
I got irratated to so no buy for me.

[Post New]by genealogyjones on Aug 13, 09 3:00 PM
STupid, stupid, stupid...........I wish that I had read this comments and reviews before I bought this game............I can't go any farther in this...........I am deleting this game....I wasted a credit and that irratates me, because I SHOULD HAVE READ THIS FIRST....oh, well, live and learn....

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Aug 15, 09 12:51 AM
I was sorry to see so many bad reviews. I play a lot of these type of games and found this one to be very entertaining. I enjoy the confusing parts and think it makes the game more of a challange. The only part I did not like is the maze of hallways and doors. I don't like usin walkthroughs unless absolutely necessary. It seems as if this is true of all mazes and wish they would just leave them out. Any I enjoyed it.

snoopy13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by snoopy13 on Aug 16, 09 9:32 PM
If there's a maze, it's a no sell for me. I can't find my way out of a paper bag.

[Post New]by timewick on Aug 18, 09 6:46 PM
I could not fine the boots because the eye would not work. It was hard to fine the generator which i never did get to. I really don't think that I want to buy that game. This is from Timewick

[Post New]by Xfactor_101 on Aug 20, 09 4:01 AM
I wouldn't recommend this game. I like to feel I'm involved in a game this one didn't grab me at all. I didn't even finish the demo.

[Post New]by Iceshark39 on Aug 21, 09 1:24 AM
Firstly, I would like to say I am DELIGHTED with this game. I've just finished the free trial and can't wait to purchase it and add it to my game library.

My attention was grabbed, almost immediately, when I saw the opening scene in the 'Manor' and I was hooked. It bore such a striking similarity to an old favorite of mine from the days before 'instant downloads' were even possible. A game called "Inherent Evil: The Haunted Hotel" (at the risk of dating myself some may have to take a trip in the "Way Back" machine for that one). One that required Windows 95/98 and DirectX 5.0 (how's that for dated?) ...or if any one has even HEARD of it!

The details in the foyer, the stairway, basement and so many other details are so hauntingly recreated I can't believe it could be coincidence. The slots behind the front desk for the safe, drawers and cupboard, the missing steps next to the basement door down to the same style of sofas and tables in the foyer and the tipped over curio on the second level walkway. Even the city where the manor was located. It was a wonderful flashback to that much loved game, and urged me to find my original IE game disk and reload it.

Having read some of the posts on the forums for this game I see that there are many more similarities in puzzles to the original Inherent Evil. The aging of the hotel and updated artwork are an absolute delight. I really like the haunting story thus far, it's not quite as dark as the storyline in Inherent Evil, but chillingly engaging.

The length of cut scenes and the opening credits not withstanding in the length of play, I think a wonderful job was done bringing this story back to life. I eagerly anticipate playing this game through and seeing just how much of the Haunted Hotel truly IS Midnight Manor.

I want to commend you for such a wonderful revival of a great mystery/horror game and I sincerely hope that you've got more of these great tricks up your sleeves!

Iceshark39~

[Post New]by Neassa on Aug 21, 09 8:11 PM
I agree with a lot of your posts, but I feel like I need to defend the meager ammount of integrity this game has. For one, yes, it's difficult to find the boots at first, but after that, it got much easier!

Cons of this Game:
- Finding stuff in the basement. (Nigh impossible)
- The chase scenes raising your blood pressure. (If you're a coward like me)
- You only use the protection charm once, and too much at that time. There should be random defense mini-things throughout the game.
- There are few puzzles and of the ones there are, one of them only makes sense if you're the person who made it up. (Activating the elevator)
- The Hunter is scary until you see it. What kind of hell-beast is white?

Pros of the Game:
- The story line is very engaging! This alone counts as about five pros.
- The graphics are surprisingly good.
- The soundtrack is well put together.
- Delaware is both the main character AND the comic relief character.
- It leaves you feeling both satisfied, and curious about the next game.

ladyluck54
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by ladyluck54 on Aug 22, 09 12:51 PM
I am not sure what to make of this i am new to these forums but i am so stuck on the part where the ghost gives you directions has anyone worked these out without going on the walkthrough. I have been on the walkthrough and written it down and still can't do it how on earth did they get the number of times to move the arrow to forward or go left or right,Can anyone enlighten me please it is driving me bonkers

Edited on 08/22/2009 at 12:53:17 PM PST

kissthis
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by kissthis on Sep 5, 09 10:31 AM
I love the story line and the graphics. I am not real crazy about running here and there for no reason though. I don't really dislike the game and may buy it if nothing else comes in that catches my attention.

[Post New]by SophieTucker on Sep 15, 09 3:04 PM
Well, I am not as ticked off as the people griping about quality & cost, but I am disappointed in this game. The creators had great atmosphere, but were sadly lacking in substance. This game was too short, and except for that hallway business almost too easy. And all the doors that wouldn't open were a pain. You could have done a lot with those rooms, and not the constant running to the basement and the elevator stuff. Guys, you had great potential and kind of lost steam. I hope your follow up game is better thought out and much more fulfilling for the gamer. When well done, this is my favorite type of game!

pooters8
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by pooters8 on Sep 19, 09 4:51 PM
DITTO to all you wonderful fishes. I won't buy based on your experiences and comments. Thanks for the "fins up".

gamer_girl_09
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by gamer_girl_09 on Sep 27, 09 12:49 PM
I liked this game.

I did the 30 minute trial version first, but didn't really get a feel for what the game was going to be like strategic wise, only that it interested me enough to buy it.

The maze was "hair pulling" and about the only thing I had to look at the walk through for in order to move on. I still can't figure how someone could reasonably find their way out of it without the walk through.

The monster that chased me, I could feel my pulse begin to speed up when ever he did and so began saving my game ever time he was on the move.

At one point the game did lock up and I got an error, but I went into the task manager, ended it and restarted the game (yay for the "save game" feature) and I didn't have any other problems after that.

I don't know how long to say the game will take, since it will depend on the individual and how long it takes them to figure out their next move. I played for awhile, then quit and started up again later at times.

There is about 4 floors on the building and even though you have to go from one to the other to get something and then back in order to use it, it really isn't that bad and doesn't take that long. For example, once you learn to use the elevator and stairwell, it's not so annoying.

If you pay close attention to the ghosts, items, partner, etc then you will not be running around looking for things in the wrong places. You are given hints for ever step if you just pay attention.

When Story 1 ended, I at first thought that was the end of the game and was disappointed until I saw that it is only the point where Story 2 is unlocked.

I recommend the game to anyone who enjoys adventure games. To me, it's along the lines of Return To Ravenhurst, just not as long or as many things to do. There are a few things that you need to find in order to accomplish a task, but this really isn't a "hidden object" game.

Have fun!

Edited on 09/27/2009 at 12:56:34 PM PST

gamer_girl_09
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by gamer_girl_09 on Sep 27, 09 1:02 PM
ladyluck54 wrote:I am not sure what to make of this i am new to these forums but i am so stuck on the part where the ghost gives you directions has anyone worked these out without going on the walkthrough. I have been on the walkthrough and written it down and still can't do it how on earth did they get the number of times to move the arrow to forward or go left or right,Can anyone enlighten me please it is driving me bonkers

Hopefully by now you've figured it out, but if not (or even if someone else is now having this problem) here is what I did:

If you notice the walk though distinquishes between "clicks" and "arrows". If it states to go forward 3 clicks and then click "arrow" left, then that's what you have to do. "clicks" = clicks you make with your mouse .... "arrows" = actually changing direction by clicking on the green arrow on your screen in what ever direction the instructions state. I even wrote down where I should see a ghost or door and if I got to the last click or arrow move and there was no expected ghost or door, then I knew I had done something wrong in the instructions. (save your game at each ghost so that you can go back to the last point in the maze where you were on track).

gamer_girl_09
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by gamer_girl_09 on Sep 27, 09 1:16 PM
Neassa wrote:I agree with a lot of your posts, but I feel like I need to defend the meager ammount of integrity this game has. For one, yes, it's difficult to find the boots at first, but after that, it got much easier!

Cons of this Game:
- Finding stuff in the basement. (Nigh impossible) They can only be "found" once you are at the point in the game where they are needed.
- The chase scenes raising your blood pressure. (If you're a coward like me)*laughs* I'm a coward too then!
- You only use the protection charm once, and too much at that time. This drove me nuts trying to use it, I kept getting attacked and having to re start that part for awhile and thought that it was the game not giving me enough time to place my cursor over the spirit until I realized the batteries in my wireless mouse needed replaced, had not problem after that. But yes, you did have to fight them suckers all the way up the stairs! There should be random defense mini-things throughout the game.
- There are few puzzles and of the ones there are, one of them only makes sense if you're the person who made it up. (Activating the elevator)
- The Hunter is scary until you see it. What kind of hell-beast is white? It's not really "white". I remember Delaware's partner making the remark that they can only taken on a partial form as they build strength or something like that. I am pretty sure the developers were trying to make it appear in that sense, more transparent than a color

Pros of the Game:
- The story line is very engaging! This alone counts as about five pros.
- The graphics are surprisingly good.
- The soundtrack is well put together.
- Delaware is both the main character AND the comic relief character.
- It leaves you feeling both satisfied, and curious about the next game.

I agree, and believe that it will be continued. I remember the Hunter telling Delaware that he had failed to stop him, but that there would be others because he (Delaware) had t be stopped. His partner also made a remark right before the end that it wasn't over.

[Post New]by aqua_83 on Sep 29, 09 12:01 AM
While this game was more on this simple side with LOTS of walking around and pointless clicking i did still enjoy it, i hate not finishing a story so will play all volumes. It is only Eight bucks after all !!!

Go to: