jmwillo
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

Re:Nancy Drew Dossier: Resorting to Danger comments and reviews

[Post New]by jmwillo on Aug 29, 09 7:27 AM
Have played the Nancy Drew games before but quite enjoy the format of the last two as well. I will be buying this game and look forward to playing it.

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on Aug 31, 09 7:51 PM
I enjoyed this one immensely, an improvement of the first one. The only thing I didn't like was the defusing the bomb mini-game, I prefer to rotate pieces rather than having to select which piece to use - the time was too short, I did get through them eventually. Enjoyed the graphics and the story line. I'm currently playing through a second time with a different suspect, will see what ending I get.

Neesh72
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Neesh72 on Sep 1, 09 8:57 AM
Ok, now I am reeealllly in a pickle! I downloaded this demo yesterday and I've played several of the other ND games, but this one is outstanding! I love the dialogue and the graphics as well as the game play and I've only played 45 minutes of the demo.

I also DL'd the Sprill and Ritchie game and like it as well.....so here's my question, WHICH ONE SHOULD I CHOOSE?!?! I would love any opinions from my fellow gamers as to which way you would go.

I'll check back after work to see the input!

Thanks BFG family

Edited on 09/01/2009 at 8:57:58 AM PST

[Post New]by kahanse on Sep 1, 09 11:46 AM
I also like this game, but I have a problem. There's a mini game where I have transfer phones to different rooms. I'm Norwegian, so my English isn't very good. That makes it difficult to understand what's said.
Reading English is even worse, so I can't read the text fast enough. I also have problems understanding what the "name" on some of the rooms really means. I'm missing a possibility to delete this mini game. Does anyone have a good advice? If I don't get this done, I'v actually wasted almost 7 dollar. Elderly ladies do not like that :-)

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Sep 1, 09 11:50 AM
kahanse wrote:I also like this game, but I have a problem. There's a mini game where I have transfer phones to different rooms. I'm Norwegian, so my English isn't very good. That makes it difficult to understand what's said.
Reading English is even worse, so I can't read the text fast enough. I also have problems understanding what the "name" on some of the rooms really means. I'm missing a possibility to delete this mini game. Does anyone have a good advice? If I don't get this done, I'v actually wasted almost 7 dollar. Elderly ladies do not like that :-)

Hi Kahanse- welcome to the forums!

I put a list of about twenty examples and the correct locations in the walkthrough here:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/nancy-drew-dossier-resorting-to-danger-walkthrough

I hope it helps.

PrplDva

GeeBee
Narwhal
Narwhal
32,109 Posts

[Post New]by GeeBee on Sep 2, 09 11:48 AM
snoopy13 wrote:I've never played a ND. Time to give her a try!

From a "newbie" to Nancy Drew games....you'll be glad you did!

chadilia
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by chadilia on Sep 2, 09 1:09 PM
Neesh72 wrote:Ok, now I am reeealllly in a pickle! I downloaded this demo yesterday and I've played several of the other ND games, but this one is outstanding! I love the dialogue and the graphics as well as the game play and I've only played 45 minutes of the demo.

I also DL'd the Sprill and Ritchie game and like it as well.....so here's my question, WHICH ONE SHOULD I CHOOSE?!?! I would love any opinions from my fellow gamers as to which way you would go.

I'll check back after work to see the input!

Thanks BFG family

I would definitely vote for Nancy Drew - it is the most unique hidden object game I've seen, it really takes HOG to another level. I like how nothing you find on the screen is meaningless and you actually get to use ALL the objects.
I also think you get more for your money if you get ND because it is a LONG game!!! It is a pretty big download size!.. so you know you're getting a lot of game??... (and the game is DEFINITELY worth the download time!) That's my $0.02.

[Post New]by crashgibson on Sep 5, 09 11:02 PM
Another game that cuts the hour play short? Is this going to become a habit with bigfish? I had 19 minutes of play left when I got to the Ivory Room and was automatically taken out of the game...big bummer...was starting to enjoy it. How do the large file Drew series compare to this one? Better or worse? This will be a no in my book...in my experience when the game cuts you off before the hour is up, it means there is not that much game left to enjoy. Short play games are not worth the purchase for me. Unlike Aveyond and Wonderland which keeps me entertained for hours on end.

SpookyPigdog
Herring
Herring
306 Posts

[Post New]by SpookyPigdog on Sep 11, 09 4:57 PM
BIG YES to these types of Nancy Drew games! I really enjoyed this. I've spent 8 months (probably more!) playing Crystal Skull and found some dead ends quite annoying (always having to go online for help), whereas Resorting to Danger was funny, entertaining, shorter (but not too short!) and refreshing. The mix of play types, storyline, graphics and voices was brilliant and I had no problems with download or graphics. Sure, it lacked a little of the macarbre (but how scary can a health spa resort be?)

I really enjoyed it. The more graphical rather than 3D didn't really bother me, in fact, I thought it was quite original and arty because of that.

An alternative for those of us with smaller hard drives and more into adventure than 3D scary.

PS The inclusion of Iggy was brilliant!

SpookyPigdog
Herring
Herring
306 Posts

[Post New]by SpookyPigdog on Sep 11, 09 5:00 PM
kahanse wrote:I also like this game, but I have a problem. There's a mini game where I have transfer phones to different rooms. I'm Norwegian, so my English isn't very good. That makes it difficult to understand what's said.

I think that was the hardest puzzle, even for those of us who have English as their first language! Hope the help above helps you out! It took me at least 10 goes to get it right!

gailfriend429
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by gailfriend429 on Sep 13, 09 5:57 PM
I really liked this game - although it did frustrate me chasing around the garden and the timed bomb diffusers were a little challenging. I thought the characters and the story were great, and like I have read here, it's not just filler, you have to pay attention to what's being said in order to pick the culprit. I think it's cool there are different endings depending on how you play the game.....I didn't make it to the Top Detective slot but got second place LOL. I will play again and see who the culprit is the next time. I loved the letter puzzles even with the bombs added in. I give this game a big thumbs up, it took a while for me to finish, even with cheating a couple times LOL
Have fun with it, Fishies!

Gailfriend

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Oct 3, 09 1:33 PM
game! I really enjoyed Lights, Camera, Curses! already so it was a no-brainer to buy it when I got another credit.

It did not fail to disappoint this time either. The case at the beauty farm follows the same principle as the first dossier: Find all the clues in a picture, then match up logical pairs. Match chains for more points, break the chain and you start with 50 points again for the next match.

Strewn in are some mini games, which can be replayed when you finish the game: defusing bombs, applying a beauty mask, match letters and match molecule colours.

In general you get enough text hints to know what to match up; if you are helpless finding clues, you get two hints per completed scene, which show you where to find objects. The defuse minigame can be hard due to a low time limit, but you can replay it even if the bomb detonates.

Hard passages in the game:

- Connect phone callers (had to start the game 10 times before I made it through)
- find Greek mythology pairs in the labyrinth (needed Wikipedia for that)

Verdict: Top notch voice acting, and they try to do emotions in the little pictures. Bought it, did not disappoint. Went back to play some minigames for fun.

Edited on 10/03/2009 at 1:53:38 PM PST

U25150
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by U25150 on Oct 7, 09 12:18 AM
I just finished this game. I really liked it. The graphics were good. The mini-games were fun, though I got frustrated a couple of times giving the facials.

The only time I really needed help was with the statues. Other than that I completed the game with no help.

I enjoyed the characters & voice acting was quite well.

I'm going to play it again & hope I make the top rank this time.

I'm looking forward to S.O.S.

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

[Post New]by Misty40 on Nov 21, 09 5:08 PM
This is a very fun game! This is different than the other ND games I've tried to play..LOL. It's very simple to play and there's no running back and forth trying to figure out what to do next. I don't mind a challenge every now and then, but this game is pretty relaxing. It's also more cartoonish than the other ND games. I kinda enjoyed that as well. The graphics are good. You choose your ending when you tell Mr. Bleski who's the culprit behind the "construction accidents".

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Dec 7, 09 12:34 PM
What fun I had playing this game today. We're in the midst of a snowstorm and I wanted something somewhat challenging but not a brain drain. I grew up reading the Nancy Drew mystery books so I did have high expectations of the storyline. I was not disappointed and got more than I expected.

stupidanacrox
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by stupidanacrox on Jan 20, 10 1:03 PM
i like this game, i put it on the top of my to buy list!

[Post New]by MaryMeerkat on Feb 25, 10 11:15 AM
This game did a fantastic job of improving upon what the first game did mistakingly. I bought both of these games at the same time so I could get a heavy fix, and was pleasantly surprised. Lights, Camera, Curses was pretty good, but Resorting to Danger was MUCH better!

I can understand why this game gets bad reviews since it is a completely different format from the more difficult, normal Nancy Drew series. Those are good, but they require a good amount of time. At least, they require you to remember a lot while you play. I made the mistake of playing the Venice game and taking a week long hiatus. I couldn't solve a puzzle and had to go back from the beginning.

This game I didn't have to do that. Each level was independent, so I didn't end up having those senior moments I'm so fond of.. (sarcasm).

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Mar 13, 10 10:08 AM
This game was well-scripted, had great graphics, and unique in its design. This is the first Nancy Drew Dossier game we've purchased. We were quite surprised how well the game played. There was a lot of interaction throughout the game. Finding related objects (rather than a list of stuff in a junkpile) made us think about relatiionships and relativeness between two objects. The designers put a lot of thought and work into this game which is why it was a stand-out experience!!!
This game can easily be replayed. I'm looking forward to our next Nancy Drew game. Games like this one are setting a new standard for the development of relevant games where the customer enjoys the challenges and also the success of winning!

[Post New]by windsonged on Jun 7, 10 11:31 PM
I like the game, but very frustrating to have to play the entire game over for each different ending. Would have preferred to be able to start at the point where it diverges and pick a new suspect each time. Playing the first half six times is tedious.

[Post New]by poppygamer on Aug 8, 10 4:22 AM
enjoyed this game ,lots of puzzles and hints when I got stuck

Go to: