Kayster
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

Re:Sprill and Ritchie: Adventures in Time comments and reviews

[Post New]by Kayster on Aug 31, 09 8:23 AM
I really like Bermuda Triangle but got tired of constantly returning to the same sites and not knowing where you stand in the game. This one fixes those issues. As far as comparing to ND or Isabella - they are completely different kinds of games. I did not buy either - Isabella because I lost interest quickly and ND because of the constant annoying dialogue. But my sister and I both thought Sprill was fun, so as soon as I finished playing, I sent her this email:

There is a new Sprill out and it has all of the good stuff of the last one and a whole bunch more good stuff.

A short run down:

1. About 30 scenes - none of them repeat
2. Great, sharp graphics
3. Cute characters - there is a woodpecker about 2/3 through that you will just want to hug and take home.
4. About 4 -5 hours of play.
5. Great mini games - no repeats.
6. Only one find the differences
7. NO find by the silhouettes (I hate those),
8. Just enough dialogue.
9.. Silly story, but coherent.
10. Pretty hard, but hints recharge quickly.
11. Sets up for the next release.

In other words - don't hesitate, run to Big Fish now!

Two thumbs up from me for sure. As far as the grainy resolution issues, make sure you have the proper resolution set in options. I have a 30" high resolution monitor for graphic design and this game has the sharpest images I have seen from a game yet (yes, the dialogue scenes are not so sharp but who cares there, I am not looking for anything).

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Aug 31, 09 11:58 AM
I've played most of the trial and, so far, I like it. I like the interactive parts more than just a **** game. Also, the game is bright and colorful, another plus. From what others of you have said, the game has a nice length. I like that, too, because it's disappointing when an enjoyable game is too short. It's a really cute game, as well, which would appeal to children. I haven't decided if I'll buy this one, yet, though. I have to limit the number of games I get at any given time so I want to make sure it's one I'll really like over time. I'll give it

Edited on 08/31/2009 at 11:59:20 AM PST

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on Aug 31, 09 7:57 PM
I'm about 2/3 way through and this is fun so far, nice light hearted **** with skippable mini games, no timer and hints recharge quickly.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Sep 5, 09 4:06 AM
I bought this game after playing the Demo. It is relaxing after so many hard H O games that require walkthroughs. My 11 year-old grand-daughter loves it. Will I play it again, heck if I know, but I do know, I do not regret shelling out the dough of it. Many hours of play for both of us.

mszoomy
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by mszoomy on Sep 12, 09 2:21 PM
I read all your reviews and thought I would enjoy the game so I downloaded the demo and I'm glad that I did because it's not a keeper. The story line is good, the graphics are fun and it's a fun game but the HOG part is just plain dumb. The first few finds were ok, I don't mind having to search for all of the same thing like buttons or food items. But then you get to the second level and you have to find parts for the machine you have to make and it just shows you a picture of a pile of parts. You pretty much just have click on everything until you find all the parts. Then there is the the next search where you have to pack a travel bag, again, you don't get a list or even an image, just a picture of a pile of stuff. And some of the things you pack in your travel bag are just stupid!! Who the heck brings a teapot with them while they travel? So again, I resorted to clicking on everything and anything until I found it all, then I quit and deleted the game.
The little mimi games I did get to were fun and not very difficult at all. But the HOG part was just BAD. Also, the hint system was not my favorite type, I also don't like when they just get the piece for you. I prefer it when they give you a general area or even better, a sillouette/shadow of the item you're looking for.

Well, I'm off to find another HOG to play.
But, I do HIGHLY recommen Pure Hidden!! It was great!!

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Sep 13, 09 10:43 AM
I liked this game and have played through it twice...
-- the story is cute but silly
-- the graphics are a little grainy
-- mini-games were fun
-- didn't like the hint system - I don't like it when it finds the object for me
-- it is not too short, which is great for me
-- as far as hidden objects... it was easy at first then got harder - sometimes it was really difficult to find things. In my experience there are a couple of ways I've seen game designers make it hard to find hidden objects - make them really, really small (that's the lamest way) like in Mystery Masterpiece: Moonstone, or really, really crowded, or hide them in very clever ways. I think Sprill was the later - It seemed to me that they put some thought into where they placed the hidden objects (not all but a lot of them) which made some remarkably hard to find.

Edited on 09/13/2009 at 10:45:06 AM PST

snoopy13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by snoopy13 on Sep 13, 09 11:48 AM
Cute game. 4-5 hours of play are equal to 4-5 weeks of play for me.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Sep 26, 09 4:57 AM
I bought this game a few days ago after seesawing back and forth on if for a while (since it's getting to be about time for a new HE and/or a new MCF, I'm trying to hoard my credits ). I left it in my Game Manager and found I just kept thinking about it, so I broke down and spent the credit. I am SO glad I did! For me this game was a nearly perfect balance between HOG and interactive: I find I no longer much care for straight HOGs - spoiled by RTR, lol - but in many cases interactives can be nearly as frustrating as adventure games. I don't want to have to work that hard just to play a game.

But S&R hit it just right: lots of levels, no repeats, a VERY fast hint refill, and a fun, engaging story that didn't get in way.

I felt this game maybe didn't get the amount of attention it deserved, what with Drawn sucking up all the oxygen in the room, but frankly, I liked it better (although full kudos to Drawn for beauty).

SpookyPigdog
Herring
Herring
306 Posts

[Post New]by SpookyPigdog on Oct 5, 09 3:46 PM
Like a really good book, I couldn't put this down. I played and played and played. I wasn't fond of the dialogue and 3D character exchange; often it was in the way a bit and I didn't think it needed to be in 3D. I guess it would be impressive for the kids. (and the storyline was complicated and huge) But other than that, I was hooked. It's not really like most of the other games out there at the moment. I was happily surprised!
LOVED EVERY MINUTE!

PS I didn't play the first Sprill.

BigFatPanda
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by BigFatPanda on Oct 18, 09 10:18 PM
BIG FAT PANDA GAME REVIEW
7 Bamboo sticks out of 10
I really like the feel of this game. The graphics are CRISP and CLEAR and you can tell it is a top notch HOG. A word I use often for this type is POLISHED.
That being said, let me tell you what I didn't like.
I didn't like really good looking CGI type characters without voices. I don't think it would have cost too much to replace the TEXT and add some VOICE to the toons.
I am a voice actor ([URL removed by moderator]) and have worked for $200 in some video games. It just felt disconnected having to read in this high quality game.

Some people may like the fact that this HOG does not tell you what you need to find specifically but rather how many items you need of a particular category. I rather know what I am searching for. Thank God the regenerating hint button is available quickly.

I found the story boring but I am sure many would like it.

All in all, a really nice game.

Edited on 11/12/2009 at 2:36:03 PM PST

lucyloket
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

[Post New]by lucyloket on Jun 12, 10 2:25 AM
*hrumph!* Just got this with a voucher code last week and now it's the DD!
Love the game but gonna sulk for a while now................

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 12, 10 2:46 AM
Todays DD? Tried demo and .

Bobbie53
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Bobbie53 on Jun 12, 10 3:37 AM
I bought this game because I didn't get penalized for over clicking and the hint recharges within 20 seconds. It is an easy going game to play after a very stressfully long day. Some of the puzzles are very good. It is well worth the 2.99.

[Post New]by purpleladyljr on Jun 12, 10 3:02 PM
What a fantastic bargain! Don't know why I didn't get it before, but it's really a fun game with a large variety of puzzles. I'm lovin' it.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Jun 12, 10 3:03 PM
Hi Folks

In my line of work (graveyard-shift waitress at the local truckstop), I THOUGHT that I've learned not to judge a book by its cover -- have had a biker who was tatooed (I think even his eyelids were) turn out to be the most courteous and nice patron to a VERRRRY well-dressed patron who was so nasty and foul-mouthed and rude that I wanted to wash his mouth out with soap and take a shower.

When I first saw the picture of this game as a DD -- I thought, UGH -- another child's game -- but having learned to trust forum opinions, I came here and was REALLY surprised how much everyone said they'd liked the game and enjoyed playing it.

I downloaded, I demoed, I bought; it REALLY is a nice game. Apparently, there's a 1st? Anyone have the name to that game? I think I might like to look at that one, too.

MEnr56

Edited on 06/12/2010 at 3:12:47 PM PST

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Jun 12, 10 3:14 PM
lucyloket wrote:*hrumph!* Just got this with a voucher code last week and now it's the DD!
Love the game but gonna sulk for a while now................

Hi

Don't feel bad; bought a game with a game credit and the NEXT day it was a DD; talking about being upset and sulking

MEnr56

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jun 12, 10 3:28 PM
I just bought it. Very cute, fun & varied game play, nice graphics - a surprising find (for me)!

Capthowdy64
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

[Post New]by Capthowdy64 on Jun 12, 10 7:38 PM
The first one in the series is nothing to get hot about.From what little I have palyed of this one,I say get it.I got mine in a set so,it was real cheap.But always demo first.That's the benefit here.

fragileind
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by fragileind on Jun 15, 10 9:56 PM
Thoroughly enjoyable and charming. Don't let the little fluffy critters fool you, this is a great game for adults! Long game play and some very novel aspects. Unlike some commenters, the hidden object portions were not unfair to me. I did have to hit the hint button now and then, but never felt cheated. Laughed out loud at some of the dialoge and characters. A variety of puzzles, all skippable, but I only skipped one arcade style. Unusual and a great break from the constant occult/spooky stories out there -- just pure fun. And did I say it's long? It has many many levels but never got boring. I have to try the previous one now, and I will enjoy playing this again soon.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 20, 10 2:53 AM
I bought this game as a DD. To me, it's tedious. Collect the pieces, last piece requires some other thing assembled to get to it, assemble pieces, Sprill breaks or spills something else, collect the pieces, assemble them. In most cases, I start having trouble finding pieces when there's still, like, 4 of them left - not just one or two left. This game feels similar to The Clumsy's, which I came to hate. This may be just what some of you like though, and if so, go for it.

Also, this game was freezing up something awful yesterday during the minigames. I did find that NVidia had posted an updated video driver this week, so I installed that and haven't frozen up since then (keeping my fingers crossed... although if it does freeze up again, I'd have an excuse to tell tech support I want to exchange it...).

Update: I had to use the walkthru to get unstuck - the hints are inadequate in some spots (- getting stuck is one of my pet peeves). According to the walkthru there's 33 levels and I just finished level 23. Whatever else you can say about this game, I wouldn't put "too short" on the list...

Still no more freezing so far or any other such issues, so it seems the new video driver did the trick.

Update: I spoke too soon - freezing again. Not as often as before I updated my video driver... Did some more looking for updates and DirectX seemed to install an update, so my fingers are crossed again.

I've been playing thru the game for a second time while evaluating the freezing situation. Even though everything seems to be in the same place as the first time thru, it's still not easy to find everything. There's just too many objects and fragments in the game to remember where to find them all. In fact, the difficulty this time around is about what I'd wished the first time would have been lol. Now I know what pieces I need to find to build the odd gadgets and so on, so I don't have to do all the random clicking I had to do the first time thru.

Edited on 07/13/2010 at 6:55:06 AM PST

Go to: