Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

Re:Drawn: The Painted Tower comments and reviews

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Sep 4, 09 10:21 AM
I just spent the last 2 hours totally captured in this game! I love it when a game will do that, and this one certainly has. I admit that although I've spent that much time playing, I really haven't gotten far into the game because I've had so much fun just exploring and looking around and I am trying not to use the walkthrough. In fact, I haven't even gotten all the way through the 2nd chapter yet. I did go to the walkthrough to see how far I'd gotten and in doing so, I found a hint I needed to continue, but I'm trying not to go back to it even though I'm glad it's there! However, I can already tell that the game is AWESOME!! It has so many little unique things about it that are difficult to describe. You just have to start playing to see them firsthand because describing them in words takes too much away from the experience.

For those who think there is a problem because your demo version didn't last the full 60 minutes, there isn't. The demo was designed to stop at a certain place in the game which might or might not take you the full hour to get to.

[Post New]by okletmewin12 on Sep 4, 09 10:28 AM
glascot wrote:I must be getting jaded as I thought it was a "good" game with terrific graphics, but I could stop and go do other things and come back to it whereas with RTR I think I sat at my computer the whole darn day and had to be pulled away.

Still really enjoyed Drawn and I guess I am just in a kind of funk today.

aaawww don't let a little off feeling ruin enjoyment of an absolutely brilliant game

leave the game alone go back to it tomorrow or next day, that might help ...

find something more fun to do today, cheer up and come back to it later, it might get better for you

Pathmtl
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by Pathmtl on Sep 4, 09 10:35 AM
Help, I'm doing the 60 minute trial & want to buy game but all of a sudden after the window shards are put back in place the game starts fast forwards & brings me back to BIG fish telling me I have 23 minutes left. Tried to play again & keeps doing same thing.
Thanks

Gajillion
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Gajillion on Sep 4, 09 10:36 AM
An absolutely delightful game....will there be a sequel??

Edited on 09/04/2009 at 10:37:56 AM PST

[Post New]by okletmewin12 on Sep 4, 09 10:39 AM
BruceH wrote:I have one very major complaint, but it isn't about the game; once I finished the demo, it immeadiately logged me in, added the game to my shopping cart, and sent me to checkout.

I may very well buy the game, but let ME make that decision, Big Fish!

Aside from that, an interesting concept, a bit too heavy on atmosphere. It reminds me on Azada with paintings instead of books, albeit with much better graphics.

-BruceH

hi bruce ~ totally agree ~ while this may be common practice on other sites, never seen do this before and i don't like it automatically putting it in shopping cart either ~ wouldn't consider it a major complaint, but a complaint for sure

particularly in my case and i suspect others too, my autoload browser is firefox but the way i have settings done i have to use IE to actually do a purchase, so even if i was ready to purchase this very instant (and i will be buying but like you i want to buy when i'm ready) the purchase page opens in firefox which i'd have to shut down and reopen in IE anyway ~ so yeah, thanks but no thanks

maybe it is a MAJOR complaint after all, or it should be, as i'm typing i'm thinking i'm going to start a seperate thread about it, see how others feel too, this tucked in here won't necessarily be seen by everyone and i think if it's an issue for many players, they'll respond in the thread and will get some valuable input

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Sep 4, 09 10:40 AM
Pathmtl wrote:Help, I'm doing the 60 minute trial & want to buy game but all of a sudden after the window shards are put back in place the game starts fast forwards & brings me back to BIG fish telling me I have 23 minutes left. Tried to play again & keeps doing same thing. Thanks

...Pathmtl, this means that the sample version demo is over. It's taking you to the site so you can purchase the game if you choose to do so. You can finish your 23 minutes but you'd need to start from the beginning with a new player name. Hope this helps.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 4, 09 10:41 AM
It definitely shouldn't have gone into the shopping cart automatically. You are prompted to buy the game at the end of the two chapters, however long it takes, but the decision should never be made for you.

[Post New]by okletmewin12 on Sep 4, 09 10:42 AM
cesse47 wrote:
Pathmtl wrote:Help, I'm doing the 60 minute trial & want to buy game but all of a sudden after the window shards are put back in place the game starts fast forwards & brings me back to BIG fish telling me I have 23 minutes left. Tried to play again & keeps doing same thing. Thanks

...Pathmtl, this means that the sample version demo is over. It's taking you to the site so you can purchase the game if you choose to do so. You can finish your 23 minutes but you'd need to start from the beginning with a new player name. Hope this helps.

and soooooo many people are misunderstanding this, it needs a seperate info thread, which i'm also going to do if it hasn't been done already, sheesh i guess it's new thread day for me i hardly ever do that i just usually jump in other threads and ramble on lol

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 4, 09 10:44 AM
The thread is called "One hour demo?". There are already official BFG posts in this thread too.
(I don't think bfgErie can keep up with the demand )

Edited on 09/04/2009 at 10:47:00 AM PST

jojo170968
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by jojo170968 on Sep 4, 09 10:54 AM
I have just downloaded the hour trial of this game and it looks promising, just the kind of game that i love strategy, puzzles, great graphics etc.....but what is with the prolonged dialogue and whimsical images of a "lost girl" (all been done before) this is just a waste of time. I truly hate the way these games try to be all deep and emotional thinking that they pull gamers in to care about the storyline and think that we read every single word. Surely there should be the option to skip all this boring stuff, i know that this is the case on a lot of the games i have downloaded and bought. This really puts me off a game, does anyone else think this?

JoJo

NANA5LOVE
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by NANA5LOVE on Sep 4, 09 11:20 AM
BruceH wrote:I have one very major complaint, but it isn't about the game; once I finished the demo, it immeadiately logged me in, added the game to my shopping cart, and sent me to checkout.

I may very well buy the game, but let ME make that decision, Big Fish!

Aside from that, an interesting concept, a bit too heavy on atmosphere. It reminds me on Azada with paintings instead of books, albeit with much better graphics.

-BruceH

OHHH so that's what happened to me yesterday, i played a game through until i was out of time and tthen left the same for awhile and my little grandson said he wanted to play somemore, the game was FUN HOUSE. When I went to buy it, it said I had already purchased it, whats with that.

Pathmtl
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by Pathmtl on Sep 4, 09 11:24 AM
Thank you very much for your replies & clearing up why it was going directly to shopping cart. Gees thought I was loosing it there awhile.

Path

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Sep 4, 09 11:30 AM
100% agree that this is a great game! Knew I was going to buy it within the first couple of minutes playing the demo.
Well done BF. You certainly come up with some novel and fun games.

Hope there will be a sequel (or two).

Jan

Pathmtl
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by Pathmtl on Sep 4, 09 11:30 AM
Oh, new Jellyfish here!!!!!

Path

[Post New]by sekhment36 on Sep 4, 09 11:56 AM

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I too bought this one before even "trying" it, but I admit I had a secret. I got to beta test it at the studio for a half an hour several weeks ago. I've been waiting since then to see it show up on the site, Mouth Shut , of course, and I bought it at exactly three minutes after midnight. it was so awesome when I tried it for that half hour, before it was EVEN FINISHED, that I bought it sight unseen once it was. I love the stark transitions between the dark worlds of the tower and the more jewel-toned worlds of the paintings. The music is also really well chosen, with elements from each area moving into the next without getting repetitive.

Edited on 09/04/2009 at 11:58:42 AM PST

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Sep 4, 09 12:12 PM
I just finished reading all the reviews posted so far and this sounds like a winner. I After reading all the ratings, I'm going to download the trial right now! Thanks for all the well-written reviews!

TinkerOne
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by TinkerOne on Sep 4, 09 12:25 PM
Thanks BF Forum. You are always where I turn BEFORE I turn loose of a credit !!

sew_what
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by sew_what on Sep 4, 09 12:26 PM
The demo was pretty cool, just hard enough to be interesting, there was no banging the head against the wall in frustration.
Now a question. I have peeked through a few threads, but I am not seeing anywhere the approximate time of the game. Thanks alot!

[Post New]by gamineannie on Sep 4, 09 12:30 PM
Just finished the game. I must agree that it was fast-moving because it was so intuitive. The graphics were stunning, which made back-tracking to find missed objects more fun. The only thing I found disappointing was the "ending", which left me asking what had just happened. Much too enigmatic after all the effort of getting to the top of the tower. If there is a sequel, will it also lack any comprehensible resolution to the story? Would I but the sequel, too? Most probably, as the gameplay was enjoyable, even if there was no real ending.

SuzieQX2
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by SuzieQX2 on Sep 4, 09 12:30 PM
Great game! The graphics are beautiful and the puzzles are challenging but not to the point where it ruins the abiance and story line. Good game BF...keep em coming! Is it me or are the games getting better? Whatever, keep it up!!!!!!!!

Go to: