Drawn: The Painted Tower technical issues

[Post New]by PlayCards3 on Sep 4, 09 7:12 PM
OK I have done all that-- seems there were Sony 3 and a Direct X updates I was missing.

The game would go only as far as opening the door at the beginning. Then my computer would restart.

I sure hope that the updates work-- looks like another great game.

Here's the update.... I restarted after all the upgrades and now the game will not load at all.

bfgFlounder wrote:Most technical problems with our games are resolved through our <a href=http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/home>Help pages</a>. Here are a few suggested articles that have helped many people in the past:

<a href=http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/166/>Frequent Crashing of Game</a>
<a href=http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/438/>Game Compatibility</a>

While we will do our best to help in the forums, the best way to get technical issues resolved is through our <a href=http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/home>Help pages</a>.

Edited on 09/04/2009 at 8:10:55 PM PST

2easy
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

Re:Drawn: The Painted Tower technical issues

[Post New]by 2easy on Sep 4, 09 7:25 PM
bfgErie wrote:If you are having problems getting the game to work correctly, we highly recommend going to our <a href=http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/home>Help pages</a>. Most technical problems with our games are resolved through our <a href=http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/home>Help pages</a>. Here are a few suggested articles that have helped many people in the past:

<a href=http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/166/>Frequent Crashing of Game</a>
<a href=http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/438/>Game Compatibility</a>

The best way to get technical issues resolved is through our <a href=http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/home>Help pages</a>.

Have checked out updates etc....windows show computer up to date and no problems found with drivers......all games should be like SCRABBLE......nice and easy flowing....

juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

[Post New]by juliamadeane on Sep 4, 09 7:31 PM
I checked all my drivers -- all are current, active x is up and running perfectly, and I can't get through the front door without my entire system crashing. I've checked out the help topics and to no avail. I need a Justin from Tech Services fix!!!

Jule

jemma07
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by jemma07 on Sep 4, 09 8:59 PM
Hi BFG,

The demo for this game crashes after the opening intro. It goes back to windows with the application log box coming up. It did this the first time after two min of demo and then the second time after another 3 min of demo. I have never had any problems in two years with BFG. Am I missing something?

Jemma

PS direct X is up to date

Edited on 09/04/2009 at 9:00:24 PM PST

bfgErie
Catfish
Catfish
1,538 Posts

[Post New]by bfgErie on Sep 4, 09 9:08 PM
Another thing you can try is reinstalling the game on your computer. Here's a helpful article that can help you with that:

Uninstall / Reinstall a Game

It's also worth checking to make sure your computer has the correct hardware to handle the game:

Game Compatibility

While we did create this thread here, the best way to get technical issues resolved is through our Help pages.

Edited on 09/04/2009 at 9:08:15 PM PST

tuezdaye
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by tuezdaye on Sep 5, 09 3:57 AM
This is a superbly beautiful game. The story, the music, the graphics and adventure.

That being said, I bought it without doing the demo and it completely hung trying to get through the rain/cloud door. I checked every single thing on the help list, including uninstalling, rebooting, and re-installing twice.

I even did a complete system restore after uninstalling it!

Finally I had the idea of starting a new profile and it finally worked, albeit with some drag and even stuttering during some dialogue.

It works, but it's very slow to load paintings if you need to go back and forth, which you do. And it takes almost a full two minutesto completely close when exiting the game, during which it makes every other app non-responsive.

I have read now that there are a few of us (one whose computer is only 6 months old!) who have gone through the whole help file, found our computers up to, and past, the minimum standards and are still having drag problems. Yes, I did write to tech and I will appreciate any helpful hints they can give me...except since I've already done a complete diagnostic I'm looking for them to tell me to do something I already have.

If this game really requires 2 Gigs of RAM and a 10 GHZ processor (example) then it would be appreciated if someone would be honest and tell us so that so many are not thinking there's something wrong with their computers when there isn't......or look at the game development to see what is so different from the other 30 games I've purchased this year that had zero issues.

This is a truly gorgeous game, and I'm going to keep playing because of that even if I slip into a coma waiting for the different scenes to load. However it is a little frustrating to see posted over and over to go to the help files when many of us have done that already.

I know this is practically blasphemy, but programmers do, in fact, make errors or develop something in such a complicated way that it works, but maybe not in the best way. I know. I work with them daily.

Listen to your customers, please? We all love BFG ya know.

tuez

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Sep 5, 09 5:41 AM
Games that are very graphic intensive like this one take a lot of computer resources to run. Often, it's not good enough just to have the minimum requirements...those are the minimum RAM and whatever that you have to have to run it, but that doesn't mean it will run optimally. If your system is sitting right at the minimum requirements, or even just a little over, then it is conceivable that is a reason why you might be having problems with certain games. And I think it's too bad that a lot of people with the bare minimum requirements are often fooled into thinking they can run the game. I am not saying that is the case here since I don't know what is on everyone's systems; I'm just saying it is a possibility.

[Post New]by DecemberM on Sep 5, 09 6:20 AM
tuezdaye wrote:This is a superbly beautiful game. The story, the music, the graphics and adventure.

It works, but it's very slow to load paintings if you need to go back and forth, which you do. And it takes almost a full two minutesto completely close when exiting the game, during which it makes every other app non-responsive.

I have read now that there are a few of us (one whose computer is only 6 months old!) who have gone through the whole help file, found our computers up to, and past, the minimum standards and are still having drag problems. Yes, I did write to tech and I will appreciate any helpful hints they can give me...except since I've already done a complete diagnostic I'm looking for them to tell me to do something I already have.

If this game really requires 2 Gigs of RAM and a 10 GHZ processor (example) then it would be appreciated if someone would be honest and tell us so that so many are not thinking there's something wrong with their computers when there isn't......or look at the game development to see what is so different from the other 30 games I've purchased this year that had zero issues.

Listen to your customers, please? We all love BFG ya know.

tuez

I was going to put in a rant here as I also have experienced exactly the same as those have written above but you have written my thoughts so succintly, so expertly that it's pointless for me to do anything but cut and paste your message again Tuez.

I love BFG, but there is something wrong with this game. Technically wrong with the game.

(Also, IMHO it's REALLY REALLY unprofessional to have a one hour time limit trial, and have a big black screen with no explanation, no exit button, no nothing when you reach the 'section' where the trial actually ends)

[Post New]by br0kenbabyd0ll on Sep 5, 09 9:41 AM
I can't even get the game to start! I press play and get a big black screen and nothing else happens! I ran a driver check, all drivers are up to date, re-installed Active X, although I new I had the newest version already, and uninstalled and re-installed this game 3 times now. I am not running with the "bare minimum" required to operate this game. I am very upset over this. Second game in a row I have had technical issues on, both were BFG!

Edited on 09/05/2009 at 9:41:49 AM PST

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Sep 5, 09 9:53 AM
br0kenbabyd0ll wrote:I can't even get the game to start! I press play and get a big black screen and nothing else happens! I ran a driver check, all drivers are up to date, re-installed Active X, although I new I had the newest version already, and uninstalled and re-installed this game 3 times now. I am not running with the "bare minimum" required to operate this game. I am very upset over this. Second game in a row I have had technical issues on, both were BFG!

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. About the only thing you can do is contact CS and see if they can help you sort it out.

BTW, I wasn't suggesting the "bare minimum" thing was the problem...I was just throwing it out there.

froggiefly
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by froggiefly on Sep 5, 09 10:31 AM
I have tried to download the free trial 3 times and it stops and tells me it is infected, how come? I have had problems with every large file game so far. Not that important because I only bought one with the problem and have been unable to download it and I think their track record is great!!
BTW, I LOVE BFG!!!!!!! Their crew of support people are wonderful. The whole shebang is a class act!!!

tuezdaye
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by tuezdaye on Sep 5, 09 10:56 AM
Please don't get me wrong here. I love BFG too, or I wouldn't have purchased 30 games just this year. The one and only time I had a problem long ago I was taken care of Very well by tech support.

It is just that I work in the internet industry (not in gameing). If I have 1-2 customers who call saying they have the same problem I will ask them to call tech support who will then very likely go through the same type of steps we are told to here on the help page. I have no problem with that at all.

If I get 10 customers who call with the same problem that is a red flag to look at OUR system to see if we have an issue that we haven't already detected.

To even create a technical issue thread, where it's intimated that we can ask specific questions, and then be told to go to the help pages, is counter-productive. It is very much like BFG is our game Dad and the help pages are our game Mom. Dad says "ask your mother dear" because that's his normal response and he keeps on reading his newspaper. Mom says "oh you fell down? well just pick yourself up and go run your cut finger under some water", assuming that's all that's wrong, goes back to making her pie, when in fact the finger is broken".

Your target audience are not high-tech world-of-warcraft gamers on super computers. They are everyday people, grandmas, kids, who are more than willing to make sure their computers are up to date, willing to go through diagnostics that they maybe don't quite understand all of, but will do because they love these games.

And I DO understand that many lay people do not maintain their computers, never clean off the malware, never run virus scans, never defrag, never update anything. But if you get a steady stream of the SAME complaints there should be a:

"Wow folks, sorry about that. We'll look into it and see if we can streamline this game for you!!" Because after all, it IS your business that will be affected.

Thanks for listening.

tuez

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Sep 5, 09 11:18 AM
I think they created the thread more for information gathering purposes...so that they can see what kind of problems people are having. Unfortunately, they can't diagnose the problem in the forums...but I do agree that they should say they will look into it further so people don't think their concerns are being ignored. And who knows...they may wind up issuing a new build. They've done it before with other games where tons of people were having problems.

graciethecat
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by graciethecat on Sep 5, 09 11:39 AM
I am having trouble too. I bought the game and have got as far as the as the top of clock tower and the scene just goes crazy flickering, I could finally get the menu button clicked so I could exit game. Does this sound familar to anyone else? Thanks!

[Post New]by ntmills on Sep 5, 09 11:59 AM
I understand that the demo is for a sample portion of the game. That's fair. However, I do think it's a little cheeky of BFG to bounce you immediately to the "buy" page of your account. If you don't hit "delete", you own it.

[Post New]by SuzanneJack on Sep 5, 09 12:14 PM
I am stuck in the witch doctor painting. I need the candle, but I can't get back out of the picture, the cursor won't change to back out. I have restarted 5 times and still stuck in the painting. What can I do? I just bought the game

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Sep 5, 09 12:53 PM
SuzanneJack wrote:I am stuck in the witch doctor painting. I need the candle, but I can't get back out of the picture, the cursor won't change to back out. I have restarted 5 times and still stuck in the painting. What can I do? I just bought the game

Suzanne,

Try rebooting your computer before you restart the game again. If you mean you have restarted the computer, then completely turn the computer off for about 15-20 seconds and turn it back on and then try again. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling the game, rebooting your computer, and then reinstalling.

HTH!

bfgEuphrates
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,152 Posts

[Post New]by bfgEuphrates on Sep 5, 09 1:01 PM
Hi Everyone,

If you do keep your computer in tip top shape with frequent updates and are having issues with this game, I'd also recommend looking over the requirements that are needed to run Drawn: The Painted Tower.

Those requirements are as follows:

* CPU: 1.0 GHz
* RAM: 512 MB
* DirectX: 6.0
* Hard Drive: 651 MB

As opposed to some of our other titles, this game takes a lot of RAM and other resources to run. I'd suggest shutting down any other programs you have running before starting up Drawn to ensure that your computer will be able to handle the intensity of the game.

Also, here are the two main help pages that should work out simple issues players run into:

Frequent Crashing of Game
Game Compatibility

Again, while we will do our best to help in the forums, the best way to get technical issues resolved is through our Help pages. If those articles aren't helpful for your specific issue, just continue past them to contact our wonderful Support Team.

Cheers!

bfgEuphrates

Chi3165
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by Chi3165 on Sep 5, 09 1:58 PM
No offense bfgErie , but I think that is the kind of general response that is ticking people off. A post IDENTICAL to yours was already put up in several places. Placing the generic form response in a forum thread where people are complaining about generic form responses is well, annoying.

On the rare occasion I've had to contact Customer Support, I've had in general good help, but there is always that form letter! What is most aggravating is when you detail the steps already taken and then get a "form" reply telling you to do just what you already told them you did! Sometimes it just seems they don't bother to even read the whole problem, or the steps one has already taken.

In fact, I simply don't even request help any more rather than get that form reply back. For example, I really was looking forward to World Mosaics follow-up game only to discover it would not work on my computer. (Only 2 or 3 games have ever just not worked right for me.) Then, when I pointed out I had already taken all those primary steps (again), let them actually look at my computer (will NEVER do that again!), their response was that it would probably just be best if I don't buy the game. To add to that, I was not the only one with the problem. So, as someone else has already pointed out, if you get more than a few with the same problem, maybe it is not THEIR problem, but *yours*. But we can't tell them that because it's never their problem!

(I think BF is getting an earful today!)

tuezdaye
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by tuezdaye on Sep 5, 09 2:15 PM
(just stares at the yellow response above, mouth hanging open)

Go to: