castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

Re:Age Of Oracles: Tara`s Journey comments and reviews

[Post New]by castellerin on Sep 24, 09 9:54 PM
I am on chapter 11 and still really enjoying it. Does anyone know how many chapters there are? It does get a bit more challenging but def. not a high stress game.

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Sep 24, 09 10:00 PM
This is a beautiful game! The graphics are lovely. The music is sometimes fun, sometimes soothing. There is no timer so you can really relax. You do the same things over, but it's enjoyable fun. I purchased this one and am not in the least bit disappointed. No, it's not challenging and you don't wrack your brain with puzzles. It's just a delightful little game. The length is good, the storyline is good. I love how you have to place the colored objects to match the objects in the black and white scenes. I give it only 4 because it is repetitious and I know how that can tend to be boring.

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Sep 24, 09 10:02 PM
castellerin wrote:I am on chapter 11 and still really enjoying it. Does anyone know how many chapters there are? It does get a bit more challenging but def. not a high stress game.

There are 22 chapters.

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Sep 24, 09 11:54 PM
I played the demo, and I really enjoyed it. It is very colorful and I liked putting things back, instead of just having to find them. I will probably not be able to wait until the end of the month for my credit. will be buying this great game, at some point.

Donick2
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Donick2 on Sep 25, 09 12:03 AM
Thought it might be a bit childish at first but found a nice relaxing game,lovely with no timer or voices butting in,was pleasantly surprised by the length of the game,great graphics & scenery,if you don't like this one you very hard to please

Well done Felix & co 5 out of 5

Keziah000
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Keziah000 on Sep 25, 09 12:28 AM
Thanks to all the people who so kindly mention that a game contains occult themes are tarot cards etc, respecting other people's belief systems. People are so nice on Big Fish - other sites on the internet people yell at you, belittle you and blast you with exclamation marks. The reviews here are so helpful, reliable and trustworthy. Thanks everyone. Like many others, I never buy a game without reading the reviews first.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

Tara`s Journey comments and reviews

[Post New]by puzzledone on Sep 25, 09 3:25 AM
Just spent a most delightful hour on this game, although relaxing it seemed to go by too fast. I took it slow to take in all the beautiful elements. I'd say simply captivating. I agree with all the comments above re all the good elements, artwork, music, playability. The music is so well integrated with the theme I felt like wanting to click in waltztime. This is only the second game in years that made me mute the talking heads on TV, the other is Brave Dwarves Deluxe, both have the old fashioned fairy tale appeal and charm I grew up with, Snow White, Wizard of Oz, and any story about a princess like Cinderella.

I personally am rather glad to see the resurgence of magical fairy tales, probably game designers are just wise to follow the market which Harry Potter series tapped into and brought back to the fore. Brings alive our creative imagination and theme is usually good conquers evil, however one can imagine it and themself in the role. God save our right brains

Lots of variety of gameplay, originality, and most items original, not the same ole trite clip art slapped together, NICE!

I was waiting for next game credit to buy and finish Imperial Staff but alas, it will have to wait again for that, just bought this one to not break the continuity, nice mood. I really need to stop playing games piecemeal, demo, wait, wait, buy and start over. I'll just waltz to the kitchen for my snack now and pick up where I left off, softly playful which is a blessing for nightowls.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 25, 09 7:20 AM
Thanks for this fantastic game! I really love it! I like the idea to place the items back in the gameszene (like in "Cate West"). The Hog-szenes are also nice, very good graphic. And it seems like a very good lenght for a hog-game.
I will purchase it! I give it /

Edited on 09/25/2009 at 7:20:39 AM PST

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Sep 25, 09 7:53 AM
Just a great, whimsical, relaxing game experience. Very nice graphics. No, the graphics and complexity aren't of the same type as say, RTR, or the artwork/graphics on a par with Intelius, but they are very very nice. There's a nice welcoming sense to it, literally, a "friendly" game. No timing, rapid and plentiful hints. The different types of activities are nice, and none of 'em are too long or complicated.

If you're looking for a fun game to relax with, with a good storyline and very nice graphics, literally something you can take a little mystical and magical vacation with, this is it.

I have rheumatoid arthritis which is worsening and therefore I have to stay at home a lot. BigFish games are saving my sanity! There are times when I like really hard challenges. Or, on a day when I'm not feeling good at all, or can't sleep with pain, or need to relax, I like having "go to" games that provide just a good experience, and this is now on that list. (Another good example is Mushroom Age, which is also absolutely hysterically funny!)

I'll be playing this one again. I have my "game name", and then I play the games I like on behalf of my dogs and cats. I'm sure they appreciate it.

Friendly caution: if you become concerned over tarot cards, or similar items, or magical worlds, this game may not be for you--even though the story line actually teaches great values. Nothing dark here at all--just the opposite.

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Sep 25, 09 8:10 AM
Terrific graphics and pretty to look at but much too simple. No challenge at all, just a picture with easily seen objects to "find". No action, just very boring, screen after screen.

[Post New]by thehills on Sep 25, 09 8:28 AM
This game artistically is great! I am particularly fond of the music actually. It is very magical and fits the game really well. Does anyone know if we could ever purchase the soundtrack somewhere?

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 25, 09 9:32 AM
The game is beautiful and the graphics good. I bought this as a break between hard games--I needed something I could play and leave, play and leave in between loads of laundry, etc. The game is long and the minigames are mostly matching pairs of cards and jigsaw cutouts of cards. I was not disappointed in using a game credit. It was entertaining and exactly what I was looking for at the time.

michelle_hdpc
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by michelle_hdpc on Sep 25, 09 10:24 AM
Thank poodlebear I did purchase the game.

momcasual
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by momcasual on Sep 25, 09 7:33 PM
Just started the trial version, and I had to stop and make a comment. I love the graphics, and the idea of putting objects back into the game was unique for me and even though it is easy, it was fun. Then to have the entire interactive puzzle with those objects was also new. So far, I love this game and will definitely buy. Also, I liked the voice of the speakers and having the peacock talk was just too fun to pass up. Just read the post that there are 22 levels so that is also a good thing, because the story is entertaining too.

QUZEMOTO
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by QUZEMOTO on Sep 25, 09 11:41 PM
i am having trouble with the cursor going all over the screen. the hand is jerky and up in the right corner after clicking on a puzzle piece at the bottom, and then the puzzle comes up to the corner where the hand is and then you have to jerk it back down to the play area. i think this is simple enough for a 2 year old to follow and find. whoever created it needs to learn how you spell things. i hate the mispelling of so many items in these games as you don't know what you are looking for. a tent that an indian lives in (tepee) was as "tipi" in this game. i was looking for an animal.i think this was put together quickly using all elements of previous hidden object games. you have match the cards/match object to the same in picture/seek and find/and put the puzzles together. at least there has not been a find the differences in this one yet.if i wanted to find the differences between 2 pictures i would buy that/those kind of games. this is a no buy for me. and i was so hopeful. when will we get another good one?

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Sep 26, 09 7:23 AM
Yes, it was relaxing, all right....now I'm sleepy in the middle of the morning LOL This HOG didn't grab me after the 7 levels completed in the demo. It just seemed disjointed. It was a blatant use of the tarot deck for its characters & cards, yet the characters' speech reminded me of Kwazi's Quest in MahJohng....very wise inscrutable mystical Asian flavor despite the British accents & fairytale setting. Don't know how Tara managed to fall into this garden, nor think it odd to be conversating with a peacock & letting it boss her around. Even Alice freaked when she went down the rabbit hole LOL The 1st place she was sent was her family castle; I'd have run screaming to my nice 4-poster & pulled the covers over my head rather than go back. She's on a quest that has no reason given & just has this docile, robotic demeanor that grates on my nerves. And why does everyone wear flip-flops?

Graphix were OK but music was soporific & it seemed like the developers couldn't decide on an object theme & lunged for the nearest junkpile. Putting objects into the picture for some reason not as fun as finding them & it got old pretty quick since every level began with that. I'm not fussed with HOGs that feel the need to inject tons of mini-games; if I wanted to play Memory Match or Tangrams I'd open a box & do it. Wondering if Spot the Difference or Turn the Pipes (I hate those) were coming later.

Just kinda left me with a negative vibe & apparently I'm in the minority today.

[Post New]by mike_farren on Sep 26, 09 7:46 AM
Sounds like you must have had a bad day I'm on level 18, and the game does get a bit harder as it goes along. The objects are a little less obvious, the jigsaw puzzles have more pieces, things like that. Hasn't gotten to even the "moderately difficult" level yet, though. Still a relaxing bit of fun. Oh, yeah - the turn-the-pipes game shows up

A quick word on the occult - although the game does use tarot card imagery, that's all that it uses. There's not a hint anywhere yet of anything truly occult or magical, really. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. Check out the trial and see if it's too much for you or your family.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Sep 26, 09 8:25 AM
mike_farren wrote:Sounds like you must have had a bad day I'm on level 18, and the game does get a bit harder as it goes along. The objects are a little less obvious, the jigsaw puzzles have more pieces, things like that. Hasn't gotten to even the "moderately difficult" level yet, though. Still a relaxing bit of fun. Oh, yeah - the turn-the-pipes game shows up

A quick word on the occult - although the game does use tarot card imagery, that's all that it uses. There's not a hint anywhere yet of anything truly occult or magical, really. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. Check out the trial and see if it's too much for you or your family.

I AGREE MIKE, the cards are used but there is NO "Occult Play" about the cards. Also, there is some very WISE advice given to her. I just played the cards as if they were just a regular playing cards.
THANKS for your thoughts!

HAPPY GAMING
PEN

shoelesshs
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by shoelesshs on Sep 26, 09 12:52 PM
My review after 1 hour demo:

Level: Easy. Very easy. Too easy, maybe

Length of play: I made it to the Lovers level before the hour was up. Don't know if you can replay with different items to find, etc.

Likes: nice graphics, good if you're looking for something that doesn't tax your brain too much.

Dislikes: a little too easy for me; didn't really care for the story line and dialog - I skipped through as much of it as I could.

Clicking penalty: Didn't notice one, but I played this a few days ago and may not remember.

Hints: rechargeable dragon meter. Recharges fairly quickly.

Would I recommend this game? Only to novices and those who like cheesy fantasy stories.

Will I buy it? No - a bit too cheesy and easy for me.

Kayster
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Kayster on Sep 26, 09 8:57 PM
Most of the important stuff has been covered by the reviewers above.

It is NOT tarot based. It has a strong young girl as the primary character: Tara. She is praised for acting responsibly and learning. I think this would be an absolutely terrific game for a 10 or 12 year old girl (I can not say that about many games).

It is VERY easy and the hints recharge quickly, so even someone unused to HOGs should have no problem with this one.

The graphics were not grainy at all on my hi res monitor and I had no problems with the performance of the game. The images are lush and enticing - lovely colors and beautiful scenes. The story is at least cohesive - a rarity it seems. The scenes and the story play well together.

I too am glad the "hints" slowed down quickly, but they might be good for the novice or casual HOG player.

I am not buying this one because it was too easy - my relaxing games tend to be non-HOG. I prefer the timed mode and limited clues offered by most games.

But if you are new to HOGs or like an alternative game that is not as challenging, I would recommend this one. It is beautiful to look at and listen to. (Oh, I should have said I think this is the only game I have played that has voice actors that are actually pleasant to listen to).

So for a younger person or a newcomer to HOG: 4.5 stars.
For someone who likes a lot of challenge: 2.5 stars 'cause it is really pretty

Go to: