Re:Reincarnations: Awakening comments and reviews

[Post New]by EnigmaStar on Oct 10, 09 2:07 PM
Having beta tested this game I was pleased to get my hands on the finished version.

I have to say that as far as the hidden object games go this one is pretty simple but thats great since I prefer graphics and story to finding objects.

The game's most unique aspect is the ability to more fully interact with the environment than is usually possible in most of the hidden object genre.

With a simple but compelling story and lush graphics this game is worth buying in my opinion.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 10, 09 3:18 PM
Thanks again all you good fishies. Great information from all, but especially my two faves, Sillyfeet and Poodlebear. Loved the demo, but since I'm still slow,
have to depend on reviews for value as I don't always get far enough into the
game to judge. Going to have to buy this without waiting for a game credit!
Length is ok by me as I usually take two to three times as long as Silly and Poodle
and even longer if I'm "savoring".

By the by, do so envy the fishie who is on her way to discover RTR for the
FIRST time. When do we get a new MCF? Soon?

gamer_girl_09
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by gamer_girl_09 on Oct 10, 09 6:24 PM
It was a cute game.

Definitely more HOG game than adventure IMHO.

The graphics were good and only a couple of the items were not easy to find.

One bit of advice for anyone who hasn't played or got to this point:

when given the object "cancer" to find, think in terms of zodiac, and then it's a little off there, but probably a translation thing.

The laughing dog was the best!! I'm still cracking up just imagining him in my mind! Hilarious!

I liked the way it ended, ..... wonder who he is?

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Oct 10, 09 7:10 PM
Graphix were nice, music not annoying, voices were. I'm not super-fast but I was on the 3rd life when the demo ended (& glad it did as I had just opened a stupid pipes mini-game). Agree the past lives could've used a little fleshing out. I did like it for the same reasons others objected to....I can't stand random clicking IHOGs & so pointing the player in the right direction with sparkles or a pop-up is fine by me. On the purchasing fence because so many decent games are so short & this looks like it's going to be one of them. Slightly more than an hr's play doesn't seem worth buying unless it's fabulous & even then I waffle.

Speaking of TBC: where's the new Sleepy Hollow at? Coming this month for Halloween, we hope?

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Oct 10, 09 10:22 PM
Nice game. How could they improve the next one? Not so many hints given without prompting. And don't make things like the navigation arrow and hint text pulsate - it's unnecessarily distracting. But the game overall is definitely worth the money.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 10, 09 11:09 PM
This game is so fun!! and the further you go it gets so funny with new things to do, very innovative "surprises". If you only got so far as the demo I'd say the best is yet to come and I find it very original outside of the hidden object scenes. There are enough of those for my pleasure. I skipped a lot of puzzles on demo for being timed, just wanted to see if it played well on laptop Vista as some newer ones have problems.

Played demo again on my pc with XP and got further, no tutorial, and yes, replay value for me because the objects lists had changed from first demo. Once past the tea ceremony it gets far more lighthearted, had me giggling many times. A few scenes looked like junk pile but slow down, easier than they look. Other scenes were on par with RTR, absolutely fabulous graphics to just savor. Yes, I noticed that mixup on the "cancer", overlooked it. I had to only use hints on words that I am unfamiliar with like "starter pull", didn't know what one looked like.

Neither too difficult nor too easy for the average player like me who hates timers, like to slow down and relish good artwork, even kept music on which is a near never for me, muted tv instead. It's just a very fun way to spend some hours, no clicking forever to find anything, stop and think a bit, experiment and something funny pops out (lughing dog LOL) I loved "tasks" like the cart in the mine and trying to blow it up, took a bunch of hits before I found that help formula. And that cheese throwing, how funny once you figure out how it works. Didn't need a walkthrough, just wish it were longer.

Great concept for having other characters and themes all in one game. They could just as well left out reincarnation if that bothers some, and had us going to visit all kinds of friends to help. I dumped Magic Acad2 fast and jumped on this for my Octoberfest, for the skip puzzles feature. Now I can't wait to go back and replay from the beginning and do all the puzzles now that I see how much easier they are than they looked. Just play around with them til something happens, no hair pullers here. ALL the elements that make up for a perfect game for me!!!

Maybe reviewers should play the whole game rather than critiquing just a demo, as many games get even better or more tedious as one goes past first hour. But that's just me.

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Oct 11, 09 3:43 AM
mews wrote: game will be plenty long enough because when games can go on and on for hours I tend to leave them and quite often forget to go back and finish them. Consequently I have lots of unfinished games and now I can't remember how much I liked them.

mews, this is SO TRUE for me also. I have so many games sitting there on my game manager which I simply can't remember if I've finished or not, and if I go back in I usually have forgotten how to play and what i've been doing. So I do not at all mind the short length; I could have finished in one night but I'm determined not to stay up until 5 am AGAIN and am really looking forward to the last 2 reincarnations tomorrow.

The graphics started out fabulous but are getting a bit less crisp and beautifully rendered for some reason. I do appreciate games where they stay that way, and was really turned off PuppetShow despite the story because the graphics seemed just odd -- objects did not look as expected, were of odd proportions, and just not that pretty.

You do have to read the diary -- it explains things like the prisoner's background (he is a political prisoner, which makes his comment about leading a better life at the end a bit odd). On the other hand, maybe because I didn't turn off the tutorial, the diary also tells you how to solve all the mini-games. It really is easy and I haven't even glanced at the walkthrough which is unusual for me (I like to check AFTER playing a scene that I haven't missed anything and sometimes need hints too). I do wish the WT had explained about turning off the tutorial (maybe it did and I just didn't notice, not realizng it would make it SO easy).

But such a fun concept, it is really keeping me entertained, and holding my interest. All other elements are pretty good as well, so it's definitely worth it for me despite the short length. A game has to be RTR or Nancy-Drew level to keep me with it for several sessions.

Edited on 10/11/2009 at 3:44:47 AM PST

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Oct 11, 09 7:57 AM
thatsashame wrote:Thanks for the reviews, as always you guys are great and right on target with them.

Did the demo and I enjoyed it, but wish it was a teensy bit more difficult and had more to it. I did two and had just started the third at the end of the hour, so wasn't all that much left to do. Laflamme made a good point on wishing each scene were longer and more involved. Other than that, it was a good game for me. I'm finding I like the interactive games way more than the standard HOG lately.

Completely off topic, but after playing Drawn and really liking it, are most of the large file games like this? I really, really liked Drawn, but don't want to be dropping coin on games that don't have demos, especially when I'm not all that familiar with the genre. I was interested in the Dracula large file game...

I did a search with "Dracula origin game free download" and downloaded from one of the sites. Can't give you url here but you should be able to find it yourself.

Edited on 10/11/2009 at 7:58:22 AM PST

nikkini
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by nikkini on Oct 11, 09 10:05 AM
What a beautiful game!

[Post New]by SandeeBeach on Oct 11, 09 10:28 AM
I would Like to express my thanks to the forum fishies. I played the demo the first day it was available, So I played it with the tutorial on, I didn't care for being led by the hand. So I didn't purchase it. After reading your comments and reviews, I thought I would give it a go a little while ago. I am so glad I gave it a second chance. It is a beautiful game, loving it the second time around!!
THANK YOU FISHIES FORUM.

ataloss
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by ataloss on Oct 11, 09 10:18 PM
This was a beautiful game. It is the only one I played straight through, about 4 hours. It is very relaxing, beautiful graphics, pleasant music and not really difficult. I cannot wait for the sequel. I am 71 yrs old, and this is the kind of game I really enjoy the most. Thanks BF.

espozito
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by espozito on Oct 12, 09 12:38 AM
Very good game. Beautiful and atmospheric. But ?s it a trend now to make games so short and so easy?! I want some challenge, you know!

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Oct 12, 09 3:06 AM
Very nice game, beautiful graphics, original story, but I the 6 lives of reincarnations ought to be 9, to complete the game, too short for my practice, but it was enjoyable!! Happy game!!!

Dancing_Cat
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by Dancing_Cat on Oct 12, 09 3:26 AM
I liked it a lot. The music was intriguing but not intrusive. I liked the doctor's accent I loved the fact that our heroine was 'jumping' into different characters. Some of the hidden objects were tricky to find but none of the black-on-black that I hate - the kind of object where the only person who knows where they are is the person who put them there. There weren't any of those, but there were some where you had to do other things before the item was ready to be clicked on. They were fun. I shall be buying it

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Oct 12, 09 4:50 AM
I enjoyed the game very much and the graphics were pleasing. I didn't find it too hard to play and didn't need a walkthrough or blog for help.

But it was too short, as many of the games are now. So I really don't like buying some games just because I don't feel as if I'm getting my money's worth. I like a game to last for days and not for hours.

A good hidden object game!

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Oct 12, 09 5:04 AM
I just downloaded this game, and from reading the reviews, it sounds like a great game!
I got up at 4:30 am to play 2 new games that I downloaded last night, so hopefully between the 2, they will keep me playing for most of the day...I HOPE!!
Thanks for sharing your review Ataloss, I think that is so cool that your 71 years old, and love playing computer games.
You go girl, I know when I am 71, I will still be playing my computer games, and at the rate I am going, I should have plenty to choose from...lol!
Happy gaming everyone, got to get playing if I want to write a review :-)

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Oct 12, 09 5:14 AM
I am happy to report that the graphics improved again -- I just gazed and gazed at the last couple of reincarnations.

This is simply one of the most gorgeous and fun games I have ever played. I am going to let it sit for a while and then go back and play without the tutorial, which does make it too easy. But dang, the beauty of it makes it worth it. Love love love!

Now let's all send thought messages to the developers: sequel soon! Soonest!

Edited on 10/12/2009 at 5:15:05 AM PST

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Oct 12, 09 6:18 AM
Based on reviews I did something I hardly ever do--just bought it stra9ight out
About2.5 hours, enjoyed the graphics, shut off tut at beginning-Still a ? here & there & info was in diary-not too challenging
Hubby played, after 90 minutes he's enjoying the music & graphics.
Definately need LONGER, like previously said maybe 9 lives ?
all in all
of

Concur on the TBC

Zoesgran
Herring
Herring
365 Posts

[Post New]by Zoesgran on Oct 12, 09 7:15 AM
I am really enjoying this game, its not often I buy a game and have to stay with it just to see what happens next. I rate it up there with RTR and maybe it has a slight edge over Ravenhurst because its not so dark. The graphics are really good, and the minigames not too difficult. I skipped the pipe one, only to find when I read the diary the solution was in there. I loved the kitchen mini-games especially the soup one I thought that was really good, and the way they got them into the pot to boil was clever. Even without the tutorial it sometimes gives a gentle hint. I tried to get into the blimp when I had finished putting the map together, and it hinted I had something else to do first. It did tell me, but it would be a spoiler so I won't say

I wish it was a bit longer though, I am currently at the last reincarnation and I can't wait to see how it ends.

Edited on 10/12/2009 at 7:15:32 AM PST

duskyblue
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by duskyblue on Oct 12, 09 7:23 AM
carolinacat wrote:... it was too short, as many of the games are now. So I really don't like buying some games just because I don't feel as if I'm getting my money's worth. I like a game to last for days and not for hours.

A good hidden object game!

I agree, carolinacat! Along those lines, I'll not skip any of the mini-puzzles so as to make the game last as long as possible. The more challenging they are, the more I like them.

Reincarnations is a very pretty game to look at (LOVE the no-dark-corners hidden-object scenes!) and I agree with most of the reviewers about the level of difficulty and length. I have to ask, though: Is anybody else bothered by poor spelling and/or grammar in the text of the hints and clues? Maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy, but I find that it detracts from the overall experience of the game. Other than that, it's a lovely game.

Go to: