nanny2x2
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

Re:Delaware St. John: The Town with No Name comments and reviews

[Post New]by nanny2x2 on Oct 10, 09 7:53 PM
Definitely try it first if you have any thought of buying it. I HATED IT. Tooooooo much dialogue, AND graphics aren't very good either.

Edited on 10/10/2009 at 7:54:55 PM PST

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Oct 10, 09 9:06 PM
Well, I played the demo, but didn't get very far, LOL. I had to quit the game to go do something, and neglected to save, so had to start over. Actually, I didn't find there to be too much dialog, but DID resent having to watch the credits before the game.

I kind of like the game, even though it is a bit "slow". I mean by that that there is not a lot of different things you can find to do, or places to go. It is very linear, and I tend to like the ones that are less so, though I know that not all games are like Myst or Return to Atlantis, LOL.

The voice acting is pretty good, though I could do without the comments about the doors being locked. I find most of the dialog advances the story, which is good. I may end up buying this one, since I've gotten into the story.

Not a great game, but not bad either, IF you are really into LFAs.

[Post New]by PurpleMary on Oct 11, 09 6:22 AM
Poodlebear wrote:I thought the first one was terrible and from the sound of things nothings changed. I'm not going to bother with the demo.
After a few games that I really didn't like, I now always read the comments and reviews before I even try a game. And a Poodlebear review is always a guide for me, thanks for the service you do.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Oct 11, 09 7:11 AM
the first game was awful and so is this!

jmfarley
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by jmfarley on Oct 11, 09 8:46 AM
I am a little concerned that Big Fish Games will cease to offer large file adventure games because so many people who seem to dislike many of the characteristics inherent in large file adventure games TRY TO PLAY large file adventure games and then complain "it acts just like a large file adventure game. I HATE IT!"

While the Delaware St John series may not be the cream of the adventure games crop, many of the complaints I see here for The Town With No Name are coming from people who don't seem to like adventure games anyway (And Return to Ravenhurst, while a very nice game, is NOT an adventure game such as those in the spirit and style of the Myst Series, or the Sherlock Holmes games, etc.)

I prefer large file games to other games. As a result, it's unlikely I will go onto a Hidden Object game forum or a Time Management game forum and write "hey, there's no exploring or collecting inventory, or talking with a variety of characters to solve a mystery, or hours of wandering in interesting environments here! What a terrible game."

My opinion is that some of the complaints registered here about this specific game are valid, but some complaints seem to be coming from people who don't understand the fundamental characteristics of adventure games, and don't like adventure games anyway, because they do not "move" fast enough, and require patience and a certain mindset. To complain about an older game as though Big Fish Games made it (the adventure games "industry" has been around for 25 years, BFG did NOT make the Delaware series), or to because you don't like exploring, or because there isn't a built-in "hint" system, or because it takes patience and time, is ridiculous to me.

Please Big Fish, do not stop offering these games.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Oct 11, 09 8:57 AM
I agree with everything jmfarley says on this game. I played the first one and really got some chills especially with the monster chases. I'm glad Big Fish gets these games because with Vista some of the older (on disks) won't play. I know because I tried. Thanks Big Fish for bringing older games to us.

bbelle

[Post New]by aliciarose111 on Oct 11, 09 2:55 PM
I LOVE Large file games. Mostly because they remind me of the games from the early 90's that got me playing games in the first place. (Did someone say Phantasmagoria?!) I almost didn't try this game with all the bad reviews, but am glad I did. 95% of the things people are complaining about here, are part of large file games. That's the way they've always worked.
Knowing how to play these types of games in advance, I was able to get into the theatre, get the key, get the ID card and open the doors into the screen room before getting stumped. I'm going to buy it, and probably try the first one when done.
Thanks Big Fish, for giving us large file fans some choices too!

Oh! and....
JessF wrote:

Still have 20 minutes - saw the ghost in the service room, found the key in the toilet. I also (I think) found a bug. I used the key on the wrong door (since you cannot see the names it's easy to do) before trying the handle - it was the bathroom door LOL so it let me in but took my key away.

There's something in that bathroom

[Post New]by nanabest on Oct 11, 09 3:04 PM
If any of you would have look up the walk thur your missing a very good game

LadyBlue0321
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by LadyBlue0321 on Oct 11, 09 6:33 PM
It would seem that I'm in the minority, but with one medium complaint, I do like the DSJ games. My complaint is that there is no way to skip through the dialog. When you have to restart any part, you aren't always able to right-click, hit space bar/tab, or whatever, to move through that same OLD dialog. PLEASE FIX THIS!!

[Post New]by Victoria9434 on Oct 12, 09 1:58 PM
Well, I would of loved to buy this game DELAWARE ST. JOHN: THE TOWN WITH NO NAME but not sure if I won't be disappointed.(like the first)........I have tried to go to start 3 times to get into the desk...all I get is the top of the desk and not the front side to open the drawer.....the first time I did it, but messed up so I started from beginning......not sure if I will purchase.......the first game was interesting, but it wasn't solved....he said he was going home to eat....and Kelly said don't mess with the monster...so that was an ending????? I was disappointed

Thank you Victoria

skrier82
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by skrier82 on Oct 12, 09 10:41 PM
jmfarley wrote:I am a little concerned that Big Fish Games will cease to offer large file adventure games because so many people who seem to dislike many of the characteristics inherent in large file adventure games TRY TO PLAY large file adventure games and then complain "it acts just like a large file adventure game. I HATE IT!"

While the Delaware St John series may not be the cream of the adventure games crop, many of the complaints I see here for The Town With No Name are coming from people who don't seem to like adventure games anyway (And Return to Ravenhurst, while a very nice game, is NOT an adventure game such as those in the spirit and style of the Myst Series, or the Sherlock Holmes games, etc.)

I prefer large file games to other games. As a result, it's unlikely I will go onto a Hidden Object game forum or a Time Management game forum and write "hey, there's no exploring or collecting inventory, or talking with a variety of characters to solve a mystery, or hours of wandering in interesting environments here! What a terrible game."

My opinion is that some of the complaints registered here about this specific game are valid, but some complaints seem to be coming from people who don't understand the fundamental characteristics of adventure games, and don't like adventure games anyway, because they do not "move" fast enough, and require patience and a certain mindset. To complain about an older game as though Big Fish Games made it (the adventure games "industry" has been around for 25 years, BFG did NOT make the Delaware series), or to because you don't like exploring, or because there isn't a built-in "hint" system, or because it takes patience and time, is ridiculous to me.

+1

gamer_girl_09
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by gamer_girl_09 on Oct 14, 09 10:21 AM
jmfarley: well said!

I loved this game, but then I really liked DSJ 1, and I'm going to purchase DSJ 3 when BFG gets it. There is also a DSJ 4 soon to be released, can't wait.

what I don't understand is the same people who complain that a "game is too short, it only took 30 minutes to finish when purchased after the 60 min trial was up", are some of the same ones who complain that you have to walk around and look for clues.

Of course the more I play these LF Adventure games, the less wandering around I have to do.

Edited on 10/14/2009 at 10:24:50 AM PST

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Oct 14, 09 7:52 PM
I find it interesting that all the early reviews trounce this game and later ones point out not only the merits, but the flaws with the arguments of those who put it down. jmfarley (and those of you who agree) is absolutely right in his assessment of adventure games and this one in particular.

My two cents is not understanding why some complain about needing sound to play. That's part of the fun in many games. Certainly this one. One of its merits is the atmospheric sounds and music, along with decent voice acting. For those of you who don't want to play with sound, find other games that satisfy you but don't advocate all games follow that path.

I personally will abandon the game only because I have a high-stress career and no longer enjoy stressful, frustrating games. This game is frustrating to me because there is a lot of wondering around in the dark and the navigation system is a little flawed. A map option would help it immensely.

That said, I think anyone who enjoys true adventure games should give it a try. It's much better than the early reviews would lead you to believe. Enjoy.

[Post New]by Rebecker on Oct 15, 09 3:22 PM
I lost enough time trying to get though the story that I lost all my need to try the game. The first eight minutes go on with all the credits and the talking just makes you change your mind. Well it did to me when I was able to get out of the game. This one I will not be buying.

zoey13
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by zoey13 on Oct 17, 09 2:05 PM
jmfarley wrote:I am a little concerned that Big Fish Games will cease to offer large file adventure games because so many people who seem to dislike many of the characteristics inherent in large file adventure games TRY TO PLAY large file adventure games and then complain "it acts just like a large file adventure game. I HATE IT!"

+2

[Post New]by mimimc2235 on Oct 20, 09 8:47 PM
I am fairly new to Big Fish and I bought this game only to be thoroughly disappointed. The hints don't fit the area you are in and you wander and wander and get no where. If this is a representation of the quality I won't be purchasing any more. i wanted to write them a note but don't know how to contact them. I honestly would like to have my money put to another game. Any feedback. Thanks...

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Oct 20, 09 10:31 PM
Thanks for all the reviews, this is one I'll be avoiding completely; which is a shame because I love spooky or dark themed games. I wish Big Fish offered more along this theme to choose from--that are better than this one-- obviously. :p

[Post New]by turbulenceadams on Oct 21, 09 8:11 PM
I'm a huge fan of adventure horror games and this game takes a lot of influence from the fantastic Silent Hill series. Unfortunately it's so badly executed that I can hardly bring myself to play it.
BORING!
It's like an online game and no way is it worth the money(including the extra tax that I seem to now have to pay). Jeez I could go and buy Silent Hill for cheaper and have a way more immersive experience, except I've played them all.
Big pile of nothing. THUMBS DOWN.

Edited on 10/21/2009 at 8:11:55 PM PST

Capatin
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by Capatin on Oct 25, 09 1:37 PM
zoey13 wrote:

+2

+4 i enjoyed this game and my family members who played also liked so please keep the large file games up thank you

Nagasse
Stingray
Stingray
5,251 Posts

[Post New]by Nagasse on Oct 29, 09 4:43 PM
Terrible! I can't believe the intro is so long and you cannot skip it all. This is boring and it takes way too long to start playing, forget my trial, I am un installing this game now!

Go to: