mpendo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,477 Posts

Re:To cull or not to cull, that is the question.....

[Post New]by mpendo on Nov 19, 15 7:45 PM
LMAO. Some things ARE universal (par example, kitchen remodels).

lpcb
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by lpcb on Nov 19, 15 9:32 PM
Are you saying all contractor are crooks, worldwide? I thought so. Just today I was ranting how not one window or door in my house is put in properly and I paid out a fortune to have it done. I spent so much money on insulation and my house is freezing. I hate having to pay someone so much money and have to go back and redo their work.

OddlyEnuh
Stingray
Stingray
4,982 Posts

[Post New]by OddlyEnuh on Nov 20, 15 4:11 AM
No, they are not all crooks. However, there are some to be sure.

I live in a small city with a well established (generational in some cases) trade sector. It is easy to find an expert that does "good" work - might pay more because they are not fly by night subcontractors being used on the job but good and reliable.

My fella that did the kitchen was good, a craftsman - we got it done under budget, a six week job went to four months- which is what we were comparing; and he never did the finishing bits. I am having to hire others to complete those things left undone but I don't think I "paid" for the unfinished bits in the first place so it is all the same in the end; except for abandoning the job before it was done.

The man that did the complete remodel of my bathroom was a waste of space and the work was not excellent; it is over all okay, but not as okay as it should have been. But I have some rocking fixtures in there. Most people would never notice what I see. But he will never be allowed to step foot on my property.

Generally, you get what you pay for..... I pay more to get the better. I am about to write a check for 14K for new drive and walks. Still having twinges of anxiety over the price but did they ever do a great job! In 6 months I won't be thinking about the check I wrote, but enjoying the French drain, no water coming in basement and being able to drive up a 10 foot approach rather than one made for Model T's in 1925 at 7 foot. Boy, oh boy, is it pretty!

Next year it is landscaping and getting the yard up to par. <thinking I might want to make the backyard a stockade with privacy fence first> Okay the front yard up to par. LOL WOW is this off topic.... well, I guess I know which contractors to cull!

Edited on 11/20/2015 at 4:17:30 AM PST

Bluex
Salmon
Salmon
2,792 Posts

[Post New]by Bluex on Nov 20, 15 6:28 AM
Nothing worse than a Kitchen, bathroom redo!!! No matter how wonderful the contractor there is always a to-do! Bottom line if one can grin and bear it once done its hopefully finally done, and six months later your nerves are back to normal.
I will never forget when I had the kitchen redone I over heard of one of the workers complaining to another about the taste of the cookies in the house and my taste for buying them in the first place(he did not know I could speak Spanish fluently). I thought to myself , cookies??....Come to find out the dang fool was eating the dog treats, missus keeps in a cookie jar (no, not a Ran one). He just about fell out his shoes and whitened when in perfect Spanish I proceeded to tell him. "You jerk you've been eating the dogs cookies and they are probably made with chicken rears, beaks and feet" They finished the job real fast after that and got out!
Now back to the culling. CULL and ask questions later I say.

mpendo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,477 Posts

[Post New]by mpendo on Nov 21, 15 12:31 AM
I laughed a lot about the dog treats. My best friend would munch on one to gross me out. But if the truth be known, the best brands are probably more healthy than fast foods.

As for home renos, I have been doing my own all my life (some 30 or so houses) in my spare time (full time career). I have a full garage of tools. I may well be a perfectionist and just couldn't stand to pay good money for a poor job. Besides, at the end of the day, you can see real progress.

In game I do love those construction workers working like busy bees. They don't even take coffee breaks. But one needs to time those projects to when you won't need to enter that building for an extended period. lol.

No culling here

Cheers

Edited on 11/21/2015 at 12:34:10 AM PST

GulfCoastGuppy
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,963 Posts

[Post New]by GulfCoastGuppy on Nov 21, 15 4:29 AM
I have culled some of my friends but if you are only a Special Events player, an infrequent player, or I have made a mistake on determining whether you are active or not, whatever the reason, please feel free to request my friendship again. I accept all invitations. PS you don't have to change your name LOL, it was nothing personal!

mpendo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,477 Posts

[Post New]by mpendo on Nov 21, 15 9:34 AM
Change a name? I do so regularly - once or twice a week to honor my heroes. Did you delete me GCG? Help...what did I do or say?? I can't remember your stage name. LMAO. We'll meet again my friend.

I say - no cull -unless you are certain that player has left for good. I keep notes but they are scattered all over my office. There is order in chaos. Generally I can find what's important within 5 minutes.

Happy TG.

GulfCoastGuppy
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,963 Posts

[Post New]by GulfCoastGuppy on Nov 21, 15 10:11 AM
mpendo...I KNOW who you are my good friend and it would be MY mistake if you got deleted. Luckily if you change your name, your place in the friend bar stays the same. If you are lucky enough to catch it WHILE people are changing their name, it actually shows "No Name" for a while! BTW I only meant you didn't have to go incognito to re-friend me.

OddlyEnuh
Stingray
Stingray
4,982 Posts

[Post New]by OddlyEnuh on Nov 21, 15 4:40 PM
The Noname are people that cannot get a name registered for whatever reason. I had three of them on my friends list at one time. I knew they could not be the same person because habits in auction were so different. If there are three of them, there are more.

mpendo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,477 Posts

[Post New]by mpendo on Nov 22, 15 5:18 AM
Ya Oddly - Nonames get the short end of the stick. It's hard to keep track of them and through no fault of theirs other folks don't become friends. Most end up leaving game.

Rainy November day here. No snow as of yet. I'm off to win my DAQ.

Cheers

barbarasofie
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by barbarasofie on Nov 22, 15 9:02 AM
Well, mpendo - WE have got the first snow today here.... (oh, I know it's offtopic, but just wanted to mention)

mpendo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,477 Posts

[Post New]by mpendo on Nov 22, 15 10:09 AM
I don't think anyone bothers to try to keep us on topic anymore. What's the point as the game is essentially over?

But barbara I am interested in where it snowed today.

Cheers

Bluex
Salmon
Salmon
2,792 Posts

[Post New]by Bluex on Nov 22, 15 11:33 AM
Cull! lol.....

VeronikaG
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by VeronikaG on Nov 22, 15 11:54 AM
My daughter just told me that since yesterday it is snowing in Switzerland. Oh my god, and in two days we return there from Guadeloupe !

mpendo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,477 Posts

[Post New]by mpendo on Nov 22, 15 12:07 PM
Safe journey Vnika.

So I have a culling question. I think I have 400-500 folks on my ribbon. How many folks does a ribbon hold?

Blue - Brevity is the soul of wit. But in your case your daily vignettes are a source of hugh amusement.

Cheers

Bluex
Salmon
Salmon
2,792 Posts

[Post New]by Bluex on Nov 22, 15 12:10 PM
That means enjoy the last of the tropical sun and the fruit flavored cocktails...Double up on them Bahama Mammas, Mai Tai's and Piña Coladas while you can! Oh and the favorite of the missus Rum in the coconut with a straw and little umbrella.

Go to: