snoopy13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

Re:Ghost Town Mysteries: Bodie comments and reviews

[Post New]by snoopy13 on Oct 24, 09 10:22 PM
Aw shoot. I was hoping for a really good HOG. It's been awhile. I downloaded the demo but in reading what the other fishies are saying, I'm not even interested in checking it out anymore. Come on BF, give us the good stuff!

[Post New]by cursorcaper on Oct 24, 09 10:30 PM
I just went into this game in between BAA and XMOW. I am not a heavy HOG player nor am I a big casual game player (Bring on the Graphics Cards I say!). But... I brang this game for my girlfriend... and I was actually surprised as the detailing of the game.

The graphics range from awesome to awful.. the sound and the vo are tops. I seriously had a calming effect when I played through the game... I did not find the scary effect that has been said in this forum, in fact, the music was calming to me!

Anyway, I think my girl would be a happy puppy with this game this Halloween.

havasulady
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by havasulady on Oct 25, 09 2:26 AM
LostForever wrote:
Nine spot the differences??? No originality or novelty in those kind of mini games.

I quit playing any game that has even one.

Spot the differences are too boring and easy not to mention worn out from constant use.

Five minutes searching for a lousy shovel is five minutes wasted.
Too much repetition, nothing to look forward to. Won't be buying this one, or even completing the demo.

shoelesshs
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by shoelesshs on Oct 25, 09 8:41 AM
My review after 1 hour demo:

Level: Medium. Story is easy to follow, but some of the hidden objects and mini-games are a bit more difficult.

Playability: Okay. Drag & drop for puzzle pieces was picky, but otherwise no technical problems.

Hints: You start with two spiders, and are limited to 2 at a time. You can find flies before entering buildings and must find 3 per hint. When you run out of spiders, you can wait two minutes for another hint.

Clicking penalty: Screen freezes for about 5 seconds. Somewhat sensitive - seems to be more sensitive if you click more than once on the same spot.

Likes: Somewhat different than other HOG. A little bit of variety with mini-games.

Dislikes: Not enough hints, no hints for mini-games, and cannot skip mini-games. Cannot skip through opening story. Creepy story and ghosts popping up in graveyard. Really dislike the tombstone puzzles.

Recommendations: Not for those with bad eyes - items are well hidden and you don't get very many hints to help. You will like this if you like creepy stories - good for Halloween.

Will I buy it? No. Just too creepy and too slow-moving for me. Would prefer something cheerier and faster-paced.

gailfriend429
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by gailfriend429 on Oct 25, 09 9:33 AM
Well, this was one of the more irritating games I have played in a while, which is disappointing because the story is so great! Trying to find the hidden objects in the dark was almost undo-able. I was using up hints every time trying to find these teensy things. If the graphics were a bit less muddy I think it would have been ok, but I am not buying this one even though I love ghost stories!
Oh well, that's why we demo right fishies? I'll keep swimmin' til I find a good one!

Have fun
gailfriend

[Post New]by NCPantherEyes on Oct 25, 09 10:54 AM
The story I really enjoyed but the graphics are awful. Trying to find items that are so small is a pain for someone who wears glasses. The spot the difference...the last one I had to almost stand on my head to see what was different---4 different photos and two of them turned upside down. And what is it with those stupid headstones...put all the pieces out so you can work with more than the fragments the developer decides to give you. All in all, I can't say that this is my favorite HOG by any stretch of the imagination. Not enough hints, too dark, and by the time I finished as best I could I had a splitting headache.

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Oct 25, 09 10:58 AM
Can't really top what everyone else has said. Don't buy.

VaNative
Minnow
Minnow
239 Posts

[Post New]by VaNative on Oct 25, 09 11:19 AM
I enjoyed the game and will play it again. The tombstone puzzles got to be annoying after a while but other than that it's fun.

Looking forward to the next Ghost Town Mysteries game.

[Post New]by damnedfallacy on Oct 25, 09 11:33 AM
It's a cloudy, gloomy day a week before Halloween, so I was happy to see a creepy ghost game. I really wanted to play this game, but it was so buggy that I only got through one **** scene before my hour trial was up. I play a lot of HOG's and while I'm not the best player out there, this one wasn't my fault on the slowness. I'm not going to spend good money when 85% of my time is spent waiting for the game to actually work. Moving on to the next one, I guess.

[Post New]by damnedfallacy on Oct 25, 09 11:35 AM
damnedfallacy wrote: I only got through one **** scene before my hour trial was up.

And just so y'all know, I didn't use a naughty there where I got bleeped. I used the initials for Hidden Object, forgetting its other use.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Oct 25, 09 2:53 PM
I played the demo and it's an okay game but I don't think I will buy it, mainly because I find it rather repititious. You go from finding objects to a jig-saw type of puzzle and then back to finding objects again. The game seems to continue in that fashion with nothing really changing. I found that a bit boring. I did like the music and sound-effects, though-it was certainly appropriate for the spooky game.

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Oct 25, 09 6:53 PM
I found this game rather boring and way too easy by the end of the demo. After the third piecing together tombstone puzzle I lost interest. Definitely won't be buying this one.

froggiefly
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by froggiefly on Oct 25, 09 8:30 PM
My opinion of course, but, this has got to be the most SLOW, BORING, DARK, oh, did I say slow & boring(?) game I have ever encountered!! It takes forever to load inbetween scenes, it is too blurry and dark to distinguish some things even after the stupid spider webs it over!! There are 2 types of "mini" games" putting tombstones together or find the difference, both boring and after you put the tombstones together, you have to find miniscule "carvings" on them through the dark & haze!! I gave it a try, I really hoped it would progress, but alas, it didn't!!
This is the first game that I have really hated, enough so that I didn't bother to finish the whole 69, I deleted after 40 with no regrets!! I had waited all day to play a good, spooky game. I don't think this even comes close to comparing with ANY other game, it is really sad because it could've had so much potential!!
A resounding 10 thumbs down!!

Edited on 10/25/2009 at 8:35:10 PM PST

[Post New]by acupatea on Oct 25, 09 9:13 PM
It would be nice if you could opt out of the puzzles. Sometimes you get stuck and just don't care to finish them. When you only get 60 minutes to try a game and half that time is spent on some stupid game you sure lose interest fast.

[Post New]by mostly_nameless on Oct 26, 09 2:46 AM
Finally finished it and it wasn't a very good game.

At least on my monitor with my eyes, some of those spot the differences and a lot of the "engravings" on the tombstones were not seeable. I spent a lot of time just clicking until I got it, since there weren't hints or a pass for those.

All those spot-the differences were boring.

A lot of the main graphics weren't so hot either. The dark room with the flickering light was especially obnoxious.

It would've been better on the tombstones if there was a way to see all of the puzzle pieces at once.

The ending was pretty blah too. I wanted to see the ghosts come back and tell their stories or lynch Pete.

Blah. That about describes it.

Diana_Mc
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Diana_Mc on Oct 26, 09 6:17 AM
I was trying not to buy this one because of all the negative comments, especially since I've been disappointed in the last 2 I've bought. Tara's Journey got so repetitious and Joyville seemed so overrated that I even posted about that one.

Well, I had a weak moment and bought the darned thing. I like it The HOes (is that okay ) can be hard to find but it's not timed and I don't usually use hints.

I like old tombstones and enjoy the little puzzles. Some of them can be tricky to get started but then they start to fall into place easily enough. Those "engravings" are irritating. I can see all but the last one and then it's mostly a matter of clicking around.

Apparently the flies are hard to find. I didn't know about them before and I haven't remembered to look for them yet and haven't noticed one. I still have my 2 original ones. Agree that more hints would be nice.

I was concerned that it wouldn't save except at the end of a chapter since I, too, have some health issues. I wasn't sure what a chapter was, but it's just a tombstone/person so that's not too bad. My demo must have run out before one was quite done and I had to redo the puzzle. This time, I had to find the alternate "engravings." I'd noticed them before and wondered what they were.

The graphics are just a different style to me. I tried The Mystery of Meane Manor after seeing a mention of it and I really hated that graphic style. I also loathe the "storage room" type searches like Tara's Journey and several other games include.

As far as the differences in the pictures, I've done ones that were harder, although these aren't easy.

It's not for everyone but I don't think it's as bad as some of the reviews make it sound. I'd hate it if all the doors had a puzzle lock

ETA: I did something in one room and it seemed to get brighter. I was falling asleep so I'm not sure what happened there. I never get brighter so it was definitely the game.

Edited on 10/26/2009 at 6:20:19 AM PST

Juicey08
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Juicey08 on Oct 26, 09 7:10 AM
Because of the "scariness" of this game, I wish I liked it better. I have to agree about the fuzziness, or bluriness that others have commented on. I liked the tombstone puzzles those were fun but not enough to ignore how I just couldn't see. Bring on the spooky though, I love the theme!

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Oct 27, 09 3:53 AM
for a spooky HOG that's easier on the eyes, has better game play and has the the creepiest sound track *ever* I'd vote for Becky Brogan - The Mystery of Meane Manor over this hands down.

I agree, tho the ending of that one was like WHAAAAT???

Flies were hard to find, tombstone puzzles got old quick, no skip on those or STDs (LOL), & it def needed more than 2 hints per round. I actually liked when I clicked too much & it froze because it was way easier to see the HOs in B & W than in color. Someone needs to do a nice B & W period piece IMHO.

It was nice & creepy tho Very Halloweenie.

meatbun66
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by meatbun66 on Oct 28, 09 3:32 PM
Ehhh....It was an alright game. My eyes are sore from trying to find these hidden objects. The tombstone puzzles were getting my nerves towards the end of the game.

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Oct 29, 09 6:20 PM
It's okay. I might buy it someday if I can't find something better. I don't like the blurry graphics that I get the feeling are bad just for the sake of disguising objects. The lack of hints is annoying, and finding those flies is even more annoying.

Go to: