88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

Re:This Game Is Extremely Offensive!

[Post New]by 88blyth on Oct 28, 09 2:13 AM
i agree with most being said here, did you do the demo? if you know you do not like it then dont play it..simple.....i am really enjoying it and there are loads of games on for everyone to play, i have not liked some games on here but i do not send a post saying "take this game off this site"..if you dont like..dont play x x

annari24
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by annari24 on Oct 28, 09 3:06 AM
All I can say, everyone is different, we all have our likes and dislikes. I have downloaded game trails that I found offensive, but, no biggie just stopped playing and uninstalled it. big Fish has a huge customer base and they have different kinds of games to suit the broad spectrum of their customer base.
This game didn't bother me, and it's okay that you didn't like it, but it's not fair to say that it shouldn't be on the site. different strokes for different folks.
I hope you find something that you like, maybe you could ask for some suggestions, I would be happy to help

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

This Game Is Extremely Offensive!

[Post New]by Tailteann on Oct 28, 09 3:30 AM
tinor wrote:I am surprised and shocked with the subject matter of this game. Big Fish is more of a family game site, and should be ashamed to offer this. It should be removed from this site.

I've no shame in liking darker, more adult themes or scarier games (in addition to more the traditional fantasy type) and wish offered even more of them to balance things out a bit.

And, you know, it's one thing to state your opinion or warn others on what you think is offensive; but it's something entirely different to call for Trapped to be removed from . Please make your own choices, instead of trying to make those choices for others.

This game is not that dark or scary; and given the subject matter, it's not taken to anywhere remotely near the extreme. It sounds like you want to start an Inquisition or a witch hunt and I'm glad that going by other responses in this thread, even by those by those who don't much like this game theme either, it's not working. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Families consist of people of all ages. Adults and older teens can handle a variety of content; and frankly, many get bored with all the light stuff/all the time. Raise your own children. Do not expect others to raise them for you according to your specific personal beliefs. You can't make everything you find offensive just disappear. No one is forcing you or your family to play Trapped or even read about it.

Pro tip: Seeing things that you don't like, understand, or find offensive is a part of life. Welcome to the world.

[Post New]by goodparenting on Oct 28, 09 9:58 AM
Considering all the traffic on this forum, I believe that BFG should re-examine what products they are sponsoring/selling.
I dont believe the creators intended to sell this game to children.
It hardly falls into the same game catagory such as Princess Bride,Feeding Frenzy.
I do agree with freedom of expression.
As an adult its easy to see the problem with this game.
As a child, they would not understand how awfull this title and premise of the game is.
I for one would not allow even my teenager to get it.
It may be fun and teach methods on how to get away, but the fact that this game borders on the thought of abduction and the possible negative outcome, leads me to believe that it is over the morality line.
A suggestion for BFG would be to, separate childlike games and more mature ideas into 2 catagories.
Food for thought.
Parents, do your job and teach your children the rights and wrong of this game.

Edited on 10/28/2009 at 10:00:20 AM PST

MintyCuppcake
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,183 Posts

[Post New]by MintyCuppcake on Oct 28, 09 10:26 AM
Wardragon - I'm not really sure how you can say books and movies don't glorify violence. From what you said I would imagine you would never even watch movies of the genre. Off the top of my head, a movie that absolutely glorified a serial killer with absolutely no other point to the movie was Untraceable. I even got in a huge fight with my (now ex) boyfriend because I said it was tasteless and despicable that someone's mind was even twisted enough to come up with the plot. And there are plenty more like it.

Purplerabbit - My thoughts exactly!

Since no one else answered it, by Bella I'm guessing they mean Bella Swan from the Twilight series.

Finally, I'll post my thoughts on this: Maybe I have no business stating my opinion, because I haven't played the game (and never will because I loathe hidden object games) but it seems that everyone has agreed that it would see the OP is offended by the idea you're playing the game as someone who has been kidnapped. (Of course, this has no been verified, so maybe not) After some considering of this I thought that in Nancy Drew games Nancy is always being kidnapped and left for dead or something equally perilous at the end of the game. Should BF stop selling those award winning games as well? I know chances are slim that we will change the OPs mind, but where do we draw the line in the sand over censorship?

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Oct 28, 09 10:57 AM
goodparenting wrote:
Parents, do your job and teach your children the rights and wrong of this game.

Sorry godparenting, but if parents did their job and supervised their children on the internet then children would not be able to download and play this game.
There are parent control tools and pc administrator tools so children or any user have to get permission to download anything so teaching children anything about this game should not be necessary.

[Post New]by jnanning on Oct 28, 09 11:04 AM
The kidnapping and abduction of young women today is a problem that should consern everyone. Whether you are a parent, a sibling, a relative, a friend or a neighbor the issue of abducting people and controling them is one of the worst and invasive crimes ever. Even more troublesome is that too often these tormentors are carrying out such a game for themselves.

If this game was marketed to adults I might not be so bothered by it but this game is not only made available to anyone with a password but anyone can play the free trial games. The simplistic nature of the game where everything is told to you, everything pointed out to you that you need to solve the very simplistic puzzles also marks this as a game meant for all ages.

I am strongly opposed to any kind of censorship but good taste and some social responsibility is always in order when presenting things for the public use and display. But turning the supposed abduction and tormenting of a young woman or anyone for that matter goes beyond the sense of good taste. This has nothing to do with writting books or making movies. BigFish games developers have not had any major problems in finding story lines for their games no matter how little connect their is between the game and story line.

The question become one of where BigFish will draw the line. Can we expect to see a game story line that follows the abduction of a young child who is killed and tossed into a Florida landfill? That should be a great background for a hidden object puzzle. Or maybe a story line of someone torturing and abusing small animals for some devious satisfaction; could be a concept for a good strategy game. Our community has just suffered the loss of two young people who were involved in drunk and reckless driving incidents, that could make a fine story line for a game. But how to score the points.

Keeping games at a fantasy level is great but BigFish will need to draw a line at some point in time, it is just a matter of where that line will be drawn.

It is sad to read the comments of so many, obviously, young minds who see nothing wrong with this because they lack the maturity to understand that to not make something available is not censorship (which is generally an external action) but nothing more than good taste and good social responsibility.

I can only hope that the folks at BigFish have the maturity to re-evaluate where they want to draw the line.

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Oct 28, 09 11:05 AM
Short and simple. Monitor your children. If a game offends you don't buy it.

However, no censorship for me please. I'm an adult capable of deciding for myself what games I want to play or purchase.

I would not mind a separate area of BFG for people who either don't monitor their children as they should and/or are easily offended. It's obvious to me that there are strong feelings on both sides of this issue.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Oct 28, 09 11:10 AM
Sorry again, but it isn't. It's only a game and a very silly one at that. No big deal. Didn't buy it , not interested.

MintyCuppcake
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,183 Posts

[Post New]by MintyCuppcake on Oct 28, 09 11:12 AM
jnanning wrote:
It is sad to read the comments of so many, obviously, young minds who see nothing wrong with this because they lack the maturity to understand that to not make something available is not censorship (which is generally an external action) but nothing more than good taste and good social responsibility.

Obviously young minds who lack maturity? Okay first I am offend by this statement. This is going past opinions. Keep your insults to yourself. Age-ism is so pointless. Furthermore, I can only guess that you don't know because you haven't been in the pond very long, but the majority of the pond members are women above 30. Even more of them being over 50. They are young in heart and sound in mind.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Oct 28, 09 11:41 AM
Way to go, MintyCuppcake.

I am a very senior citizen and I love this game. I am not child-minded. Some games are much worse than this one but I still know they are only games. Some games are based on realism, some based on books, some based on movies, etc. Everyone to their own choosing.

bbelle

Edited on 10/28/2009 at 11:43:46 AM PST

TinkerOne
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by TinkerOne on Oct 28, 09 4:34 PM
Won't buy..just tooo dark and you can't skip all the conversation. Blurry scenes and I don't like having to find as many as 5 of one object. The theme didn't bother me (an adult) -- just wasn't much fun.

ValerieG
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by ValerieG on Oct 28, 09 4:47 PM
This thread brings me to mind comments on other games....some players say they find stories about the occult offensive, , others have the same opinion on stories about native Americans, And the list goes on....and on...and on.

To each his own. If you find offense with this game, or any others, AFTER trying it out, simply uninstall it and don't force your opinions on other gamers.

I actually did end up buying it, even though I really wish I could skip the dialogue. I just have to use the volume control

sam1950
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,486 Posts

This Game Is Extremely Offensive!

[Post New]by sam1950 on Oct 28, 09 7:04 PM
tinor wrote:I am surprised and shocked with the subject matter of this game. Big Fish is more of a family game site, and should be ashamed to offer this. It should be removed from this site.

you are entitled to your opinion but
I take serious issue with anyone saying: "It should be removed from this site." That goes beyond opinion into a plea for censorship.

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Oct 28, 09 7:14 PM
Censorship is FAR MORE OFFENSIVE than any game could ever be. Censorship leads directly to REAL LIFE abuses of REAL human beings.

Incidentally, the Saw franchise is on its 6th movie, yet I haven't heard of a single copycat criminal out there. And I do pay attention - true crime and abnormal psychology are interests of mine.

I enjoyed this game....

[Post New]by wendylosangeles on Oct 28, 09 8:21 PM
obviously a young woman being kidnapped, is, in the real world, disturbing. However, this is a game, and although the subject matter is serious, I have to say that, having had a really lousy day at the office, I enjoyed this relatively easy game. I respect all opinions, and hope that in turn, mine is also respected.....

bamlink
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by bamlink on Oct 28, 09 10:07 PM
I don't find the game offensive. In fact, I like it. It has a disturbing theme as do many things in real life. But either way, I'm an adult and if I find something - a book, a film, a game - too disturbing, I close the cover, walk out of the theater or uninstall the program. Thank you to the OP for her opinion, but I'll make the decisions for myself and my family. Nothing can be more offensive than censorship.

[Post New]by redlite on Oct 29, 09 12:46 AM
Just finished game, found it disturbing on many levels, will not be purchasing future sequels.........

kamenye
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by kamenye on Oct 29, 09 2:08 AM
I liked this trial and may buy it...I guess I can see why some might be offended but it takes a lot to offend me lol ( guess it's part of being a dispatcher for 911 and having a deputy for a boyfriend). The guy in this one reminded me of the SAW movies though lmao-sadly even my kids said that since they watched the first one a few weeks ago at their friends house down the street.

[Post New]by OnWisconsin on Oct 29, 09 2:50 AM
Hi Fellow Fish Friends....

I think that the exchange of ideas is one of the very best parts of our country, and this game site, and is certainly a freedom that we all cherish. But I would also add that I do think that some of our comments, without meaning to do so , may have scared poor Tinor (she has only 3 postings) away from our pond. And I KNOW the folks here would never mean to do that. The practice of idea exchange has always been to share your opinions... but not to a point of being harsh.

I am also fairly sure that Fish Tinor was not advocating censorship. I think that she was simply surprised by the theme of the game, and was suggesting to BFG that she was shocked by the game. It really is her right to feel that way.

BFG is a strong enough game team that they will take that all suggestion under advisement, and handle them in a most professional way. Perhaps a disclaimer might be a good idea. I know there are games w/ themes that I don't like, and have always liked how BFG and picman has handled it.

I do think it is a good idea...before anyone reacts to a game or post...(whether one is a newer fish or a veteran fish) : To count to 3..and take a deep breath . I am a person with extremely strong opinions, so I understand how easy it is to dive right into the pond with a quick and strong response.

So...Tinor..I really appreciate your willingness to be open and honest. Please know that you are most welcome to be in our pond. I also appreciate all of the other comments. I enjoyed everyone's responses. Since we are all grown up fishes..we can make the decision to play or not to play; and to buy or not to buy. (sorry Shakespeare..lol)

We might also remember that how one reacts to this type of situational game may also be reflected by one's life events. We all have had different life experiences, and some may be more sensitive to one type of game or situational subject more than are others.

I like that fact that we can all share our opinions, and be welcomed for doing so.

God Bless, and you all have a great day/night...depending upon where you live...
(((Hugs to you all..)))

OnWI

Go to: