genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

Re:The Tudors comments and reviews

[Post New]by genkicoll on Oct 10, 10 3:00 PM
The Tudors (Adventure/IHOG)

Let me preface this review by saying that I have never seen The Tudors on TV.

The game is rife with characters from the TV series (pictures of real people, not drawings), though they are not voiced. Story segments are are skippable and clickable (you can click through them at your own pace).

There are two modes of gameplay - Easy and Normal. It says that Normal is timed and Easy is not, but the timer has not been an issue for me. There is no sense of urgency, "gotta hurry and get this done!" feeling. Basically, Normal mode means that you will get points every chapter. 100 points for the first item clicked, and 200 points for each "fast-find." You will get bonus points for NOT using hints.

Music and sound are separately adjustable, and there is a Windows mode. The music is suitable for the game, though in some scenes it gets slightly annoying.

You start out in a castle at night. The graphics are realistically lit, which would probably lead the casual demo-er to believe that the game just has "fuzzy graphics". The outdoor and daylight scenes are beautifully rendered, so stick with it. Despite the lighting in these particular scenes, items are not really hard to find.

We have a variety of gameplay: The overall feel of the game is adventure, but we have hidden objects by list, find x-number of items (all very relevant to the story), and fix-the-scene (items are broken, you place the broken pieces back where they belong). The fix-it scene is a bit challenging, but in case you can't figure out where something goes by sight (and don't want to use a hint), your cursor will change when it's over one of the items to be repaired.

Speaking of HINTS, they are refillable. During the adventure portion of the game, you will get a visual hint - a little snippet of a scene to give you an idea of where you should be looking.

You have a journal, in case you want to reference something that happened during a cut scene, and there is a ? button, which will remind you of your current task.

All of this I have gleaned in 30 minutes' demo time. I am going to stop here until I can purchase the game, for it is a definite BUY for me

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Oct 14, 10 5:16 PM
I too, found the scenes to be to dark, and not clear. I uninstalled this game after 10 minutes.

Pearly11
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,429 Posts

[Post New]by Pearly11 on Oct 23, 10 5:34 PM
Soooo disappointed. This could've been such a great game. But this here looks like it's been knocked together in a few days. As somebody already said somewhere on page one, probably because the developers wanted to profit from the popularity of the series. Well, developers: You failed...hugely!
The storyline is flat, I don't like the way the characters 'communicate' (why do they stare at ME?) Most items are not hidden they've just been disappeared. An absolute 'no way and never ever' for me.

[Post New]by ladycath on Feb 22, 11 11:57 AM
The makers of this game could not have made it any more dull or plodding if they had done it on purpose. If Showtime meant this as an enticement to watch thier series, they missed the mark. They took what I consider one of the most exciting, frightening and world changing periods in history and made it boring and dreary.
The history of the Tudors has always been my favorite period of history to study and I was really excited when I found this game...big mistake. This is the only game I have downloaded that I will not finish and I have played some fairly dull and juvenile ones from the 2.99 daily specials.

Next time I want a TudorFest, I will rent The Six Wives of Henry the Eight, Elizabeth R, Anne of a Thousand Days and A Man for All Seasons. Maybe not historically accurate but exciting and entertaining. Everything this game was NOT.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Feb 25, 11 3:46 PM
I agree with others. A lot of the objects were tiny and hard to find due to the grainy graphics. The storyline didn't intrigue me enough to keep going after 10 mins.

sheepgirl
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by sheepgirl on Mar 22, 11 9:51 AM
Agree with the majority......too dark, too much talking, rather grainy and not easy on a macbook screen........a not buy for me.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Mar 26, 11 10:27 AM
I agree, after 5 minutes I am going to uninstall the game, This game had the making of something great! if the dev's took there time..I hate when the items are so small..where you have to strain your eyes to look around the rooms..
well anyhow that's my option..happy Gaming..

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Aug 9, 11 5:20 PM
I don't quite like the show on which this game is based, but I did enjoy the game. Some parts were a bit too dark and it was hard to find the objects, but I thought the plot was good and I wanted to see how it got resolved. If it could just be brightened up a bit, it would be much better.

Edit: Now I've played the actual game instead of just the demo. The plot was good, but the puzzles got on my nerves after a while. Some of the 'spot the difference' games were absolutely nerve-wracking. And at least once, my game didn't match the walkthrough; when Elena was in King Francis's office, trying to deliver the letter, I was asked to find different things than are listed in the walkthrough and so it was of no use to me. And i found the end to be altogether very anti-climactic. Still a good game, but I've played better from this site; I'd give it maybe 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Edited on 08/11/2011 at 2:50:34 PM PST

ibnurdreamz
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by ibnurdreamz on Sep 16, 11 6:28 AM
I wanted to like this game, UGH! I love the show so I was in the minority here, but the game made me angry . The absolutely worse part was just clicking everywhere because the graphics are so bad you can't see half the items! If you get lucky while you click your way around, you might fine items. To me that is no game play. So this is my rating.

hannah233
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by hannah233 on Jul 31, 12 7:35 AM
Just an awful game egad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Terrible graphics toooooo dark etc etc!

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Feb 8, 14 10:19 AM
This is one of the old fashioned type of Hidden Object games. There is a soundtrack but very subtle. There are no voice overs, instead there are conversation bubbles by the character's heads which requires lots and lots of reading and seriously detracts from gameplay.

I liked the graphics. It felt like I was in a medieval castle. The characters were well done (if only they could verbalize#.

The story line was excellent beginning with the heroine expressing concern about the upcoming marriage of the King only two weeks after his wife died under mysterious circumstances.

Hidden object scenes were straight lists, with the list on the left side of the game, and finding X amount of the same item #for example potions) with the list on the bottom. I enjoyed these but it wasn't enough to save the game for me.

Constantly having to read what the characters were saying made the game too tedious and a no buy for me.

Go to: