Bluester
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

Re:Comments and reviews 1912: Titanic Mystery

[Post New]by Bluester on Nov 3, 09 10:32 AM
I only played this game for 3 minutes and was sufficiently annoyed to uninstall it. Enough said.

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on Nov 3, 09 1:06 PM
The graphics are horrible. They really are.

The game play is repetitive and boring. I still bought it just because I love the Titanic and anything about it.

If you've played the demo then you are familiar with the game and it doesn't get any better. I couldn't wait to finish a room so I could see the new diary entry as there isn't much more to the game.

Not very good and if you haven't bought it, I wouldn't.

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Nov 3, 09 6:22 PM
Just finished demo. Hidden objects are so easy to find. Liked the concept of "find 10 of the same type 1st" and then in same scene, "find one of each of what is listed", but just wasn't enough of a challenge.

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Nov 3, 09 9:08 PM
Max, you can skip the news cast by left clicking your mouse.-----

HighlandMax wrote:
The only thing I really do not like about this game, is that everytime you quit and then start again, you have to go through the beginning news cast again and again, and you can't skip it. Plus when I first started playing, I clicked relaxed mode, but it changed on it's own to the timed mode, and then later on, went back to the relaxed mode. A game glitch ?

I'm intrigued by anything to do with Titanic so I really liked the storyline, although the ending was weak. I enjoyed the tidbits that were thrown in about the real Titanic. The objects are easy to find and the hints plentiful but I found this refreshing. And I didn't have any trouble with the graphics on my computer.

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on Nov 4, 09 3:39 PM
I liked that the objects were easy to find. I like a fast-paced game, however, some of the flippant remarks by the crew members regarding the deaths of passengers aboard the original Titanic really bothered me.

For instance: One crew member says, "Did you know that the 3rd class did not eat what 1st and 2nd class passengers did but they had roast turkey, (blah blah). They went down with fully bellies", or something to that effect. 0.o!

There were several other statements made that just seemed really rude about those that lost their lives on this ship. This was a tragedy and nothing to be scoffed at.

I'm sorry I wasted my money on this game.

Edited on 11/04/2009 at 3:40:26 PM PST

Ruth58
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Ruth58 on Nov 4, 09 5:20 PM
I really enjoyed this game. I played in Relaxed Mode -- getting points is not a big deal to me.

I enjoyed being able to find the objects without ruining my eyes trying to find objects that are too well hidden.

I did find a lot of the mini games quite difficult, and no helps available in the mini-game mode. At least you can skip them and as points don't matter to me, the fact that it adds time didn't matter to me.

I enjoyed the story line that went with it as well as some background information about the original Titanic.

ihateshopping
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by ihateshopping on Nov 4, 09 7:43 PM
i'll go into more detail than Seji.

who is the actual creator/designer of this game, especially the dialog? i'd like to have a little "Come to Jesus" chat with them...or maybe someone should.

i've got a REAL issue with the "Isaac Maryland" dialog at the very beginning & it's enough that i won't purchase this game. my mouth dropped open & i had to stop and post this.

if they were going for authenticity, in 2012, neither "Isaac Maryland (maybe a porter)" nor "Elsa Young (maybe a nurse)" would ever have THOSE positions. it couldn't have occurred in 1912, but authenticity's not the issue.

(yeah, i know it's "just a game," but i'm "just a person," who has to look at this stuff, in the real world.)

since it's just a replica, and sailing in 2012, "Isaac Maryland" wouldn't have been hired for his position if he actually spoke like that and he'd NEVER be allowed to deal with actual people. or, if he did get hired, and spoke like that, he'd be fired, immediately. even in a fantasy world it wouldn't happen, unless you're a member of the KKK.

if the designer just absolutely HAD to evoke the "minstrel show" and "black face" ambience, they got it WRONG. no one would use proper grammar AND sprinkle in a few "de" for "the" words. the last time i actually heard that sort of "patois" was 25 years ago on a brief visit to Luverne, Alabama and the individuals didn't otherwise have a good command of proper grammar.

the little i've played, because i just had to remark, seems fine, otherwise. no graphics/play issues; it's not perfect, but not horrible and worth $6.99 EXCEPT...

...for that beginning dialog of "Isaac Maryland's." i'm not a huge fan of modern day political correctness, but this really offends me, and i'm not even black. i don't get offended watching movies/videos from the early part of the 20th century; it was what actually happened in society. but this kind of thing is completely inappropriate in a game.

you can accuse me of being overly sensitive; i'm NOT. it doesn't offend me to be called a chick or a dame or a broad or "dude." there are some things that are just dead wrong and the "Isaac Maryland" dialog IS. it needs to be fixed before i'll buy it.

Edited on 11/04/2009 at 7:46:34 PM PST

ihateshopping
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by ihateshopping on Nov 4, 09 7:56 PM
Seji wrote:flippant remarks by the crew members regarding the deaths of passengers aboard the original Titanic really bothered me.

For instance: One crew member says, "Did you know that the 3rd class did not eat what 1st and 2nd class passengers did but they had roast turkey, (blah blah). They went down with fully bellies", or something to that effect. 0.o!

There were several other statements made that just seemed really rude about those that lost their lives on this ship. This was a tragedy and nothing to be scoffed at.

looks like there's a whole BUNCH of dialog that needs to be fixed. i'm lucky; i haven't purchased it and won't until it's fixed.

has this creator/developer lived in a cave for the last century, or only ever seen the movie Gone With The Wind, or is an 8th grade boy who thinks this kind of thing is humorous?

somebody PLEASE have a "Come to Jesus" chat with them...and, while you're at it, take the game down until it's fixed. this is too much.

[Post New]by cmcd00 on Nov 4, 09 11:51 PM
Hated the ending, felt cheated

hcopter51
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by hcopter51 on Nov 5, 09 6:26 PM
cmcd00 wrote:Hated the ending, felt cheated

Thanks to posts like these and reviews on games, I can save my credit again....Thanks all....

corbs123
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,701 Posts

[Post New]by corbs123 on Nov 6, 09 3:37 AM
after reading some of your comments i will not bother trying to reinstall this game ( the game froze) to be truthful i did not read any dialogue was just trying to see if it was worth buying as i loved the other titanic game what a shame

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Nov 7, 09 10:25 AM
Somw points for a game on the maybe list.

They tried to bring some facts from the old Titanic.
Some items easy to find.
Story not too bad, in diary and notes.

Graphics resolution way too low.
Repetitive gameplay: Find 10 of the same items, find a list, solve a puzzle that you've seen in a gazillion other games.
Run-of-the-Mill junk pile HOG.

I didn't have any problems downloading btw.

Edited on 11/07/2009 at 10:25:31 AM PST

BigFatPanda
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by BigFatPanda on Nov 8, 09 12:01 AM
BIG FAT PANDA GAME REVIEW
4 Bamboo sticks out of 10
If the subject matter excites you, add 2 bamboo sticks.
I found this game BORING and although it was easy at times, there were a few items that were very difficult. Once you run out of a hint, your stuck and it could get very frustrating.
If they had some voice acting, it might have made it slightly more interesting. The reading was boring. The story was lethargic.
This game just sank to me.
I am a voice actor and would have voiced their characters for about $350 total. I hope the developers are listening. My demo is at [URL removed by moderator]
Again, if you are a Titanic buff, (not the movie), this may be for you.

Edited on 11/12/2009 at 2:35:39 PM PST

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

[Post New]by cche on Nov 9, 09 2:48 AM
Played my hour. No reason to go on. Yes it is very easy, though one could hope later minis were more challenging. Graphics are fine on my (large high resolution) screen. My main issues are with game design. Hidden objects have no relation to story, to each other or to scene. I much prefer a cleaner, more logical look. Required to complete each phase before proceeding to next. No reason for that! Object masking is broken. Some chips behind a chair, took many tries to find the part of the visible chips that would take a click (could relate to "floaty cursor" I suppose.)
Hint limit of 6 at a time is both too many for a game this easy, and too silly when those life preservers are so common and annoyingly visible.

The idea is good, but the implementation leaves much to be desired.

Edited on 11/09/2009 at 2:50:25 AM PST

Sierraspun
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Sierraspun on Nov 11, 09 3:15 PM
BransonBel wrote: I personally would rather have a few really well-made ones like Drawn, Ravenhurst, or Puppets of Joyville than all these so-so games...but I guess that's what demos and the forums are for. It's nice to read everyone's opinons/experiences with a game before you plunk down money for it!

Diff'rent strokes, for sure. I'm enjoying this game for the most part, except for several pointless mini games that are difficult to win. BUT! The three games quoted above might be "really well-made", but I didn't like any of them. I guess I just don't like the dark-themed games, even though they seem to be very popular. This one is lighter, even with the bomb-threat. Actually the items are very well drawn and easy to tell what they are. The art as a whole is very good. So many games are cartoony and not much fun to look at.

Astina
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by Astina on Nov 12, 09 9:47 PM
I have never written on a board about a game before and I've played many. This has to be one of the worse games I've ever played in any catagory. In HOG games this is a joke they don't even try to hide the objects and the puzzles are lame. I always finish a game because I've spent the money. This game I almost didn't but I hung on. The story was the part that interested me in the beginning and if only for that I finished. Don't waste your money or time on this one!

[Post New]by janb3399 on Nov 13, 09 12:01 AM
I just started the demo and I needed something easier. I have a real hard time finding objects when rooms etc. are so dark.
I am on my 2nd or third room and I found all the objects but I can't make the the hour glass activate the pink spot on the window.
Any tips?

Thanks Janet Baker

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Nov 14, 09 3:23 PM
I want to say THANKS "Poodle & Puzzle" for their input

Happy Gaming
PEN

sarah451
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by sarah451 on Nov 16, 09 12:06 PM
Booooooooo.

Extremely simple HOG with interruptions from "characters" that add nothing to the "story line" or to the game.
Objects fairly clear and easy to find
Plenty of extra hints
Simple puzzle games
Very much misclassified to be placed in the "Adventure" category which was where I found it.
"1 hour" download trial was finished in 32 minutes. That's how long it took me to get thorugh the demo.

Good for children and those days when you want a diversion but no mental exertion.

I didn't buy it. Wouldn't even for $2.99 daily deal.

niki93
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

Comments and reviews 1912: Titanic Mystery

[Post New]by niki93 on Nov 16, 09 7:23 PM

can you tell me what the last diary page said my game froze, what happen to edward, nellie and william and Mrs H. please

Edited on 11/16/2009 at 7:25:16 PM PST

Go to: