Re:Valerie Porter and the Scarlet Scandal comments and reviews

[Post New]by songsmith2003 on Mar 11, 10 1:30 AM
I loved this game. Valerie has a lot of sass and gumption, she's smart, she's trying to make it in a man's profession in the Roaring 20s when most women didn't work. It all has that Chicago-esque feel to it.

What' more, the objects fit with the story and time, the puzzles fit in well with the story--it just was overall a fun romp.

I'd really like to see more games like this one.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Sep 7, 10 7:34 PM
Enjoyed this game quite a bit.
The story line was great and definitly made me keep going.
The graphics were quite clear and crisp. No darkness, no blurring.
The music and soundtrack in general I really enjoyed. Definitely appropriate to the time frame.
The "mini-games" were totally related to the storyline and gave the feel you were just continuing the plot. Very entertaining.
The variations on the HOGs were great. So much to do in each scene.
I found the chain action made otherwise simple scenes very challenging and fun.

On the whole I was very pleased with this one. The time frame is not one used very often and was such a great concept.
Hope this becomes a series at some point.
I most certainly give this for the fun I had playing it a full 5 thunbs up!

[Post New]by missillusioned on Oct 10, 10 1:22 AM
I unfortunately didn't liek this game as much.
It's not bad but it just didnt particualry grab my interest
Game play - i liked having to find the bells but it was a bit frustrating not knowing if you would come back to the location or not. I didn't like the click and drag for multiple items I found I ended up "cheating" cause if i moved my mouse round aimlessly i could pick up a few.
Mini games - I found these to be OK. I thought they could have been developed more.

I'd probably give it 1/2 /5

quiltz
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by quiltz on Oct 10, 10 9:39 PM
I'm liking this game so far too!! The fact that I'm looking for bells and batteries and linked items makes it all the more interesting for me. I just know I will play it again and try harder to get all the extras on the next try!!
It's nice to play something a little different. Thanks for the "sale" weekend, Bigfish!!
Quiltz

jeannemaria
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by jeannemaria on Oct 11, 10 6:19 AM
This afternoon I purchased this game at the Sale. I love this game. I had some trouble with the lipstick and liner when playing the trial, but after reading the forum i had no problem doing it. I like the different aspects of the game, such as assembling and typing a report. I was very pleased to get this game at the weekend sale. I also purchased Sandscript and Mahjong Roadshow. Both these games are good too. I hope to get more good games at Weekend sales. I will NOT download Large File games, NOR games that require a Strategy guide.

A little while ago i purchased The Great Gatsby, which i also like very much.
Is there a similar game to Valerie Porter and The great Gatsby? I would love to know.

[Post New]by Kitty_at_large on Oct 11, 10 7:24 AM
jeannemaria wrote:
A little while ago i purchased The Great Gatsby, which i also like very much.
Is there a similar game to Valerie Porter and The great Gatsby? I would love to know.

Have you played the Cate West games? I especially liked the Velvet Keys.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 11, 10 9:06 AM
Purchased this game on the sale and finished it this morning.
Really enjoyed it for all of the reasons others have listed.

Hoping for a sequel, as she's a unique character and so is
some of the game play.

edit for spelling

Edited on 10/11/2010 at 9:07:34 AM PST

jeannemaria
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by jeannemaria on Oct 13, 10 3:35 AM
Thank you very much Kitty_at_large for recommending Cate West "Velvet Keys". I will trial it tonight or tomorrow. I now have a credit and this Cate West may be just the game i am looking for. I have not finished Valerie Porter yet. I played it last night and i think i still have a few chapters to go. I really like this game.
from Jeanne

buckeyelibra
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by buckeyelibra on Oct 14, 10 1:47 PM
I enjoyed the game and played it through twice. Found all of the batteries and the bells. Only mini games I skipped were the ones where you had to focus the pictures. Will play it again sometime.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Jan 18, 11 1:14 PM
I absolutely LOVED this game! The story was terrific, the objects were all from the time period. The whole story flowed right along. The mini-games (esp focusing the picture) were able to be skipped. I purchased this game for $4.99 US when BFG had the first Playfirst sale. It might still be available on the 25 games for $4.99 sale. It is only minimally interactive (maybe a bit more than Murder She Wrote). On the other hand I didn't have to hunt up a walkthrough or check in the game forum. Always a plus for me! It's a shame that this didn't become a series.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Feb 24, 11 3:18 AM
I enjoyed this game, simple and nice, not difficult but entertaning, nice reportage!

Pat_ric_ia
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by Pat_ric_ia on Apr 7, 11 3:35 PM
Hi all, I love this game! Very atmospheric and enjoyable. The game is varied and not too taxing for my brain. I've re found this lovely but of fun and will be returning to play it a second time (maybe more, who knows?)
Sign of a good game!
Love to all fishes everywhere, Pat_ric_ia x

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 1, 12 1:32 PM
This is a nice crime story game, very well put together with nice and clear graphics, nice mini games and the story line and plot are in par with the game.

Is a very enjoyable game that can tied you up from beginning to end.

Ridnhi
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by Ridnhi on Mar 31, 12 7:51 PM
This is a wonderful surprise!! I needed one game to finish another punch card and looked for several hours trying a number but not finding what I was looking for. (nor sure what that was!) I just wanted a HOG game with some interactive action, and a decent story with no ghosts or goblins;
Not a lot of dark graphics; one that I could relax and enjoy and have FUN with.
This is a real find for me. I hope those of you who are searching for a not too easy/not too hard game to spend some fun hours with.....Try this one.
Its very logical, with new mini games/puzzles and a decent story with a mystery you can solve. Well worth the money for a SE.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jul 9, 12 5:17 PM
missillusioned wrote:I unfortunately didn't liek this game as much.
It's not bad but it just didnt particualry grab my interest
Game play - i liked having to find the bells but it was a bit frustrating not knowing if you would come back to the location or not. I didn't like the click and drag for multiple items I found I ended up "cheating" cause if i moved my mouse round aimlessly i could pick up a few.
Mini games - I found these to be OK. I thought they could have been developed more.

I'd probably give it 1/2 /5

Agree with everything missillusioned said.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jul 11, 12 9:00 AM
Another demo review which I don't ordinarily do, but I don't believe this will not be a buy for me. Although somewhat entertaining, I find it a bit cumberson and boring. The HOS are blurry and the items very small which plays havoc on my eyes so I am straining rather than enjoying the game. A bit slow. I guess I am just not as taken by the game as most others. Certainly not a full price buy and I don't think I will waste a credit. There must be something better, crisper and more challenging still out there! I give it a 2+ ...not my bag.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Feb 5, 13 2:26 PM
This is a delightful game, just right for a rainy afternoon, It's certainly not a game on par with games like Dire Grove or Soaring City, but it doesn't try to be. It's got great period music, funny voice overs, and great characters. Just the right amount of HOS mixed with easy puzzles and extra things to find (bells and batteries), and a wonderful subway ride where you can pick up extra hints. Good game!

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Mar 15, 13 7:43 PM
I absolutely loved this little game!! It was just the thing to take a break from the recent CEs and all their doom and gloom. I really took my time playing this one, and enjoyed all the little side games it had to offer.

My ONLY negative comment is with regard to the size of the HOs. Literally had to get my magnifying glass out, and when that happens I tend to get a little salty. Well hidden objects DO NOT have to be microscopic!!!

That being said, I think anyone who stumbles upon this little gem should try it. You'll be very pleasantly surprised!!

Happy Gaming!!

Go to: