Re:The Dracula Files comments and reviews

[Post New]by VladimirDraco on Nov 9, 09 9:43 AM
In addition to the darkness issues, we are addressing certain problem items as well. It also looks like we will be removing the calculator. While some people love it, it looks like is a barrier to entry for some others. The art style is what is unfortunately. If there is a sequel, we will certainly be much more likely to go with a more realistic look, but I hope those who do have issue with it can try to look beyond it, because we've also gotten lots of comments about people who have really enjoyed the storyline. Thanks!

Gill_Dudley
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by Gill_Dudley on Nov 9, 09 11:58 AM
Oh pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssseeee games have moved on so much there are so many excellent quality games now too numerous to mention, check out Campfire Legends although BF are not getting it, anyway I just wanted to say what a load of cr*p this game is. I thought we had seen the last of games with small badly drawn items to find which are as much of a surprise to me if I do accidently click on them and find them, and the endless dialogue just to waste time along with badly drawn amateurish scenes. I am really surprised BF bought this game it is well below their usual standards. Waiting eagerly for RTR 2

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Nov 9, 09 1:07 PM
I went ahead and bought this game. It isn't a bad game at all in my opinion. I like it. I will get the upgrade when it is available. At least you listen and try to help.

Thanks, VladimirDraco.

bbelle

[Post New]by VladimirDraco on Nov 9, 09 1:40 PM
Gill_Dudley wrote:Oh pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssseeee games have moved on so much there are so many excellent quality games now too numerous to mention, check out Campfire Legends although BF are not getting it, anyway I just wanted to say what a load of cr*p this game is. I thought we had seen the last of games with small badly drawn items to find which are as much of a surprise to me if I do accidently click on them and find them, and the endless dialogue just to waste time along with badly drawn amateurish scenes. I am really surprised BF bought this game it is well below their usual standards. Waiting eagerly for RTR 2

Gill, if you saw my comments earlier, this version was released prematurely on BFG. We're working to fix items that become dark and blurry for some video cards and to address many of those small items you're talking about. The dialogue is not in there to waste time, it's in there to tell a story of which we've gotten many compliments. If you don't want to read the story, you can hit ESC, but we at least thought it would be nice to have something to tie the whole game together, rather than just randomly having you hunt for garlic and wolfsbane without any explanation. We won't be able to address the art style for this game, but if we do a sequel, we'll probably go for something more realistic. Thank you for your feedback.

mrsbigbig
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by mrsbigbig on Nov 9, 09 2:07 PM
Well...I'll just say this. It's definately not worth the $6.99. I liked the demo enough to buy and it finished within the next half hour after doing the 60 min demo. It just wasn't what I thought it was at all.
The graphics were ok. It was really hard to find some of the things listed even using the little thing that shows you the outline of them. The mirror games were too easy and the rest of the games were just ok. Nothing special. Overall out of 5 stars, I'd give this one a 2.

mrsbigbig
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by mrsbigbig on Nov 9, 09 2:10 PM
Well...I'll just say this. It's definately not worth the $6.99. I liked the demo enough to buy and it finished within the next half hour after doing the 60 min demo. It just wasn't what I thought it was at all.
The graphics were ok. It was really hard to find some of the things listed even using the little thing that shows you the outline of them. The mirror games were too easy and the rest of the games were just ok. Nothing special. Overall out of 5 stars, I'd give this one a 2.

CiCiRR
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by CiCiRR on Nov 9, 09 7:54 PM
I played this game for about 5 minutes, and decided it isn't worth the money. The graphics are HORRIBLE - even using the "hint", you can't tell what the object is.

And the dialogue - don't game developers get it? Not ALL of us want the stupid storylines.

I've come to the conclusion that if a game has a penalty for random clicking, the problem is the graphics, not the players eyesight. Objects can be difficult to find without resorting to shabby graphics.

My rating out of 10 - maybe 2, and that's a gift.

CiCiRR
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by CiCiRR on Nov 9, 09 8:52 PM
The Amulet cannot - what the "h"? What good is "Help"?

Nice talkin' to you Mr. Dracula. I'll keep my money.

[Post New]by VladimirDraco on Nov 9, 09 9:39 PM
CiCiRR wrote:And the dialogue - don't game developers get it? Not ALL of us want the stupid storylines.

CiCiRR, my game developer minions would like to know what it is you DO want from a hidden object adventure game, if not storylines. Thanks.

Edited on 11/09/2009 at 9:40:15 PM PST

[Post New]by boppy3 on Nov 9, 09 10:15 PM
Tailteann wrote:I tried to download my free hour and got stuck on waiting for activation for so long I had to close my BF game folder b/c I had to log off. I log on to check now and it says my hour trial is up. It looks like I didn't miss much, in the first hour at least.

Good thing I've Revo b/c the standard unintsall left a lot junk behind too.

nanny2x2
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by nanny2x2 on Nov 9, 09 10:46 PM
If you like to read comic books, strain your eyes, and just down right
be aggravated this is a game for you.

It also locked up my computer. Enough said, if it were free I wouldn't waste
my time.

nanny2x2
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by nanny2x2 on Nov 9, 09 10:54 PM
If you like to read comic books, strain your eyes, and just down right
be aggravated this is a game for you.

It also locked up my computer. Enough said, if it were free I wouldn't
waste my time.

HoudiniCats
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by HoudiniCats on Nov 9, 09 11:17 PM
There have been a few less than sterling Hidden Object Games of late, but truly, this one has no redeeming qualities. I could not even play through the free hour.
The story is not engaging. The cartoons (which should be well-drawn in order to hook the player) are horrendous--the worst I've ever seen and, even if the hidden object scenes are not terrible, they cannot begin to compensate for bad dialogue and truly bad renderings of the main characters. This game felt "thrown together" with the hope that gamers would purchase it because of its Dracula theme.

I'm usually quite forgiving of games that strive to be good despite any flaws they may contain. But my best advice for The Dracula Files: Skip it.

Not recommended.

[Post New]by Joanie9862 on Nov 9, 09 11:23 PM
I bought the game but it will not let me play. I click on the icon the game opens and when I move the cursor it disappears. HELP
jcnetteton3@yahoo.com.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 10, 09 4:08 AM
my game developer minions would like to know what it is you DO want from a hidden object adventure game, if not storylines

I was LMAO @ "minions" LOL And interesting storylines are never bad.

Play nice, folks. Vlad's working on fixing some issues, he said. How often do you get a real live dev in here addressing your complaints?

I can get beyond the square-jawed cartoons if the rest of it's fine, & it's not that bad as-is. Since I finished the demo hr, I hope those of us who did will get to d/l it again & compare? Looking fw to seeing the polished-up version if so.

Joanie, try turning off the special cursor or hardware acceleration if there's an option to do so, I don't remember. Or wait for the new build.

[Post New]by puzzleman115 on Nov 10, 09 6:41 AM
I liked this game. i thought the **** scenes were very real looking. I also liked the story line. I am not a cartoon comic style fan, but the story was interesting enough to keep my attention.

I was not able to see any dark problems, like some other users, maybe update your video card drivers or tweak the brightness of your VC. I also did not have any issues with finding some items. There were a few that were hard to locate but that fast filling hint button was my BFF

I would give this game 4/5 IMO. and i look forward to the new build that addresses most of the users issues in here, even though i doubt anyone will retract what they say and give props where props are due.

-cheers

[Post New]by puzzleman115 on Nov 10, 09 6:42 AM
CiCiRR wrote:I played this game for about 5 minutes, and decided it isn't worth the money. The graphics are HORRIBLE - even using the "hint", you can't tell what the object is.

And the dialogue - don't game developers get it? Not ALL of us want the stupid storylines.

I've come to the conclusion that if a game has a penalty for random clicking, the problem is the graphics, not the players eyesight. Objects can be difficult to find without resorting to shabby graphics.

My rating out of 10 - maybe 2, and that's a gift.

horrible? i am sorry but your opinion seems not only a bit flame-ish but totally ignorant to what is in play. The scenes and the objects found are more real looking than most **** games IMO. FAR FROM "horrible"

[Post New]by VladimirDraco on Nov 10, 09 7:15 AM
Thanks puzzleman. The problem we are experiencing is that while the game looks great on some computers, certain video cards are not processing the shadow effects properly. If the video card doesn't have the exact color the game is telling it to use, it grabs the color it thinks is closest, and most of the time, it is grabbing a color that is much much darker than it is supposed to be. That is what we are working on fixing now.

tat2s
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
441 Posts

[Post New]by tat2s on Nov 10, 09 4:26 PM
scarlet_11dy6 wrote:

And for the last time GRRRRRR.....if I see one more review dismissing a HOG "because it's not up to the standard of RTR".....give me a break. RTR was a whole new genre called an IHOG. What we've been getting lately are regular old school HOGs that you all happily played until you got spoiled & petulant that everything wasn't RTR. Not to take anything away from s creative team, but I felt recent games like PuppetShow, Vampire Saga, & Edgar Allan Poe were every bit as "good" as RTR....just in a different way, like every game is going to be different. C'mon, guys, lighten up with this RTR stuff already!

Hear! Hear! I am definitely one of those completely spoiled after RTR, but I still can find other games to enjoy. It takes a long time to develop the IHOGs, which is why we have to wait a year in between MCF, etc.

Vlad: thanks for all of the positive feedback to technical issues. I think I'll wait until Dec to try this one when they're fixed, but I'm definitely going to try it, despite the overwhelmingly negative criticism. I'm always up for trying something once
P.S. You Rock for listening to what people have to say and working to create a game that we'll enjoy. Keep it up!

Edited on 11/10/2009 at 4:34:06 PM PST

[Post New]by patriciablake on Nov 11, 09 11:26 PM
Huggzz: Don't know if you found the "8". Find the calculator, it will end up in your inventory. On the calculator add 5 plus 3 and you will get "8". Click on it. It would help if it were possible to actually see the items.

Go to: