kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

Re:Racial Profiling within the game why?

[Post New]by kishimojun on Nov 15, 09 12:40 PM
Jessieb79 wrote:Look, people pick up on stereotypes. And we don't know you personally or know that you're not racist. All the rest of the worls has to go by are your actions.

So it's your responsibility to study your words and actions to see how they might be perceived by others. If people think you're being racist, you need to fix the problems in your behavior. It doesn't matter what your intentions are. To think otherwise is self-absorbed and childish.

Putting in a thief who was black was a boneheaded move by the writers. I'm sure they're not racist, but they should have used their brains.

Of course, most of these games show no diversity at all, anyway. I'm not offended. Just makes me assume that the game designers are ignorant and myopic.

And I assume the same of everyone who thinks diversity isn't important. That includes most of the people in this thread. You can rant at me about that, but it won't change the fact that you don't look very smart or nice to the people around you, on here or in real life. Just the truth, folks.

Absolutely, Jesseb79! Kudos!

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 16, 09 7:22 AM
This has become quite the tempest in a teapot.

[Post New]by ripleysnewt on Nov 16, 09 7:45 AM
Lets see, maybe a local handyman,,would that be profiling handymen every where? Maybe white yokel, we all know they are thieves..maybe the asian neighbor? No matter whom was placed in the position of thief..someone would make it out to be racial profiling, and yes I believe it works for all ethnic groups, black, white, hispanic,asian, jewish, etc. Blacks do not have the market on racial profiling. People of all walks of life, have had this happen or seen it happen. It is because of those that see wrong in every thing that is done. I believe that those that yell racial profiling are seeking it! Believe it or not there are black thieves & white thieves & hispanic thieves..all ethnics has thieves. SO instead of instantly calling it racial profile. Lets just say its a innocent game, that has a black thief. Then lets just pretend there are no thieves anywhere, everyone is good & kind & honest. ROFL..
You need to stop looking for injustice! You actually think the the creators of these games are secretly placing racial slurs in the games, then don't buy them. One more thing, you think its ok to say the local handyman could of done it. I would say that you are a racist! against anyone that isn't black. You are very willing to make others a thief and yell racism! You need to look in the mirror!

[Post New]by ripleysnewt on Nov 16, 09 7:55 AM
Listen all I have heard all my life, is that everyone is the same!!!!! That Blacks should be treated no different than whites! So when they are placed in a situation that doesn't reflect positively, IT is racism? Believe it or not someone steals everyday! If you decided that a white person, would be better suited for the role of thief! Then that is racism! Are people never to place blacks in a bad light? Are we to pretend that there are no blacks of ill behavior? How does that works. If you are truly against racism, then you need to stop calling everyone a racist. Now before you go off on a tantrum, you should know that my family is a grand mixture of hispanic, black, asian, indian and white. And they all feel this way!!! There is good and bad in all.. If we are not allowed to make a statement about a person because of thier color or race, that is racism!

purplehaze72
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,258 Posts

[Post New]by purplehaze72 on Nov 16, 09 7:59 AM
ripleysnewt wrote:Listen all I have heard all my life, is that everyone is the same!!!!! That Blacks should be treated no different than whites! So when they are placed in a situation that doesn't reflect positively, IT is racism? Believe it or not someone steals everyday! If you decided that a white person, would be better suited for the role of thief! Then that is racism! Are people never to place blacks in a bad light? Are we to pretend that there are no blacks of ill behavior? How does that works. If you are truly against racism, then you need to stop calling everyone a racist. Now before you go off on a tantrum, you should know that my family is a grand mixture of hispanic, black, asian, indian and white. And they all feel this way!!! There is good and bad in all.. If we are not allowed to make a statement about a person because of thier color or race, that is racism!

i agree ripelysnewt!

kitten61758
Stingray
Stingray
5,603 Posts

[Post New]by kitten61758 on Nov 16, 09 8:13 AM
To be honest,I never pay attention to race or color .They are just people and it's just a game.I'm enjoying it very much even though I haven't finished yet.

cyndihugs
Salmon
Salmon
2,926 Posts

[Post New]by cyndihugs on Nov 16, 09 8:24 AM
"I pat myself on the back for staying out of this thread but it's becoming harder and harder as each day goes by"...I'm starting to get tired of it wish the mod.s would lock it and just might if I say what I really want to say...but gonna start out nice and of course, funny....if ya don't find it funny, oh well....but I'm going to tell you why a BLACK person was used in this game and hopefully after this, the thread will die out or go off topic!

They had to use a BLACK person because all of the WHITE people are already dead, in jail or on death row ( and some say a few are "on the run") from all the previous games where people were MURDERED now, no they didn't steal a thing, the White people murdered people...hey what's wrong with this picture? Why couldn't a white person be used for petty thief instead of murder? Hmpf! That's just plain wrong! (it's up to you to figure out what exactly is "plain wrong")

Edited on 11/16/2009 at 8:27:33 AM PST

cyndihugs
Salmon
Salmon
2,926 Posts

[Post New]by cyndihugs on Nov 16, 09 8:46 AM
kitten61758 wrote:To be honest,I never pay attention to race or color .They are just people and it's just a game.I'm enjoying it very much even though I haven't finished yet.

Same here Kitten...I don't see the color of someone's skin when talking to them....unless it is pointed out to me like the OP has done. Believe me, I've read most of this from day one and wanted to reply to it so bad I could hardly stand it and then decided to quit reading it altogether but then I'd come in here and BLAM here it is again, the only way I cannot see it is to not come into the pond and sorry not gonna let this thread or the title of it being shoved down my throat stop me from coming into a place I really care about.

I see the, "let's agree to disagree" has been used (wow deja vu just hit me big time) and that didn't work.....why not just drop it as this seems to be something that no matter what the answer is, it's always going to be wrong...let's take it off topic of if you want to keep talking about the game itself...then let's talk about the game and leave the color of someones skin out of it? If more proof is needed to what I said in my earlier post, I'll be more then happy to PM the OP with all the different names of all the other games out there...other then that....

I think this is a very good game and I'm not one that's into HOGs so ya know if I say it is good then it is good! LOL

Can someone answer this for me and yes it is off topic...

I'll probably have to ask this question on another thread...but since I'm here...figured I'd just go ahead and ask...what the heck....I've read a couple of times in the pond where someone is talking about the HOG games but I see these 2 words at times, "HOG" and "IHOG" just wondered, what's the difference between the two? Thats all. LOL (only need to hear from someone that knows the difference between the 2) Thanks in advance for letting me know.

[Post New]by terrablue444 on Nov 19, 09 4:12 PM
This thread should be locked.

And people who are looking for racist remarks are equally as racist IMO.

tijhea
Salmon
Salmon
2,547 Posts

[Post New]by tijhea on Nov 19, 09 5:40 PM
terrablue444 wrote:This thread should be locked.

Sorry but I don't think this thread Is racist, nor has anyone shown racist behavior here at all. What I see, Is some found somthing In the game, to be distasteful. And they have the right to voice It, rather we agree with them or not.

Edited on 11/19/2009 at 5:41:57 PM PST

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Nov 21, 09 1:06 PM
Until I read this thread it didn't even register with me that the thief was black. What struck me was the harshness of the butler regarding the incidents. Unless I am mistaken it was a kid attempting to sneak apples. In my father's generation it was considered a rite of passage to take an apple or watermelon or two. The adults just winked, looked the other way and appreciated it if it was done with cleverness. After all they had done the same at that age.

Edited on 11/21/2009 at 1:08:24 PM PST

[Post New]by terrablue444 on Nov 21, 09 1:22 PM
tijhea wrote:
terrablue444 wrote:This thread should be locked.

Sorry but I don't think this thread Is racist, nor has anyone shown racist behavior here at all. What I see, Is some found somthing In the game, to be distasteful. And they have the right to voice It, rather we agree with them or not.

You obviously make poor assumptions. Argue with someone else, looks like youre trying to start a fight.

I have the right to voice my opinion, so agree with me or not. I never called anyone here racist.

Also, read the entire forum before picking a fight.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Nov 21, 09 1:37 PM
I'll probably have to ask this question on another thread...but since I'm here...figured I'd just go ahead and ask...what the heck....I've read a couple of times in the pond where someone is talking about the HOG games but I see these 2 words at times, "HOG" and "IHOG" just wondered, what's the difference between the two? Thats all. LOL (only need to hear from someone that knows the difference between the 2) Thanks in advance for letting me know.

Cindihugs in answer to your above question,

I believe IHOG refers to interactive hog. You don't just find items, you sometimes have to combine then and use them to unlock other items and or scenes. Hidden Expedition, Devil's Triangle is an example of an IHOG.

Edited on 11/21/2009 at 1:40:19 PM PST

[Post New]by Dreamergirl50 on Nov 22, 09 4:41 AM
In case no ones noticed, they also have Austin pretty much admitting to stealing the antique vases that Mrs. Pinkerton is looking for. FYI; Pinkerton's was a detective agency way back when. No one has mentioned how cool it is to interact with the objects in the game, or how things are in different places when you enter a room, or how you can actually play with your dog, or the REALLy big one for me is the fact that the clocks all have the same time I do...now that's eerie!

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Nov 22, 09 5:25 AM
Jessie, I found these comments to be very offensive and outside the mandates of BFG's rules to play nice:

You can rant at me about that, but it won't change the fact that you don't look very smart or nice to the people around you, on here or in real life. Just the truth, folks.

Why do you wish to personally attack those who have a different opinion? You have a right to your opinion about the contents of a game; you don't have a right to sling mud and indulge in personal attacks.

Scarlet, thanks for earlier comment, which I just saw.

polexia
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Dec 3, 09 6:44 PM
Like a black male could never possibly have ever been a thief? It isn't any better to put a white person as the thief, or an Asian person etc. If you cast a thief, why is it somehow better for it not to be a black male? I didn't even notice this til you brought it up and I just finished the game. I'm just wondering who you would make a thief and why they shouldn't be offended.

[Post New]by dmjones88 on Dec 3, 09 6:59 PM
Played the trial version and never saw anything.

But if you really want to see a game with sterotypes, check out Farm Frenzy 3, where the poor black african farmer is being pushed out by aggresive rich white businessman and needs the help of a white american farmer. I quit after a few minutes.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 3, 09 11:23 PM
I don't believe this thread is still going, especially when it seems that it's gone so many directions and off the mark which I first thought was good food for thought. So I probably shouldn't resurrect it and my prior posts either which was mainly stereotyping.

It was an article on gamezebo a few years ago that opened my awareness and was an interview with a GAME DEVELOPER himself talking about how devs could well start keeping up to date how they depicted characters. Mostly discussed was old people not being realistic but stereotyped by younger artists. i.e, frail, feeble, cranky, waving their canes, and some senior game players were taking offense. I thought huh, I never thought about it before and yes I am aged but not "old" and don't look like any of those I've seen.

Then I got into the Virtual Villagers games which I dearly love still, but was a bit shocked when as soon as one of my people reached FIFTY, they slowed to half the speed, had poor health, hobbled to their jobs but it was not only stereotypical but my own self-interest trying to speed up my game. So, I take them off their fav jobs slowing down the game, drag them to the science table and tell them, look just take the easiest job you don't have to hobble to in pain, rack up our tech points and I'll buy you a higher level to live 70 years in better health!! Of course they never get back up to speed, and I'm feeling sorry for them picking crops or hard labor. I think you get my point.

You should see me open the Big City hogs and picking an avatar I want to relate to. No, I don't look like that "typical granny" w/white hair pulled back in a pug, not even that sweet faced like on all the greeting cards except Maude. I don't want to be that player shown between every level, Most the elders in my senior's building don't look like that, dress stylishly, are active, some are cranky with canes to shake at brats. I pick one of the kids because that's how I feel playng games, my essence not my looks.
So I guess that is why when I did Prime Suspects, first time I noticed a character in my games who was black, kinda bothered me he was the gas sniffer. I remember thinking how come they didn't make the young white party girl the dope addict and the black guy obsessed with clocks or something. That's all. In fact, the only gas sniffers I have known were teenage kids of white couples. So I think we are just wishing for more proportionate to the times, not just races.

tijhea
Salmon
Salmon
2,547 Posts

[Post New]by tijhea on Dec 3, 09 11:44 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth... geeez.. I was just comming to say the samthing... let it rest.

polexia
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Dec 4, 09 9:36 AM
puzzledone wrote:

Then I got into the Virtual Villagers games which I dearly love still, but was a bit shocked when as soon as one of my people reached FIFTY, they slowed to half the speed, had poor health, hobbled to their jobs but it was not only stereotypical but my own self-interest trying to speed up my game. So, I take them off their fav jobs slowing down the game, drag them to the science table and tell them, look just take the easiest job you don't have to hobble to in pain, rack up our tech points and I'll buy you a higher level to live 70 years in better health!! Of course they never get back up to speed, and I'm feeling sorry for them picking crops or hard labor. I think you get my point.

You should see me open the Big City hogs and picking an avatar I want to relate to. No, I don't look like that "typical granny" w/white hair pulled back in a pug, not even that sweet faced like on all the greeting cards except Maude. I don't want to be that player shown between every level, Most the elders in my senior's building don't look like that, dress stylishly, are active, some are cranky with canes to shake at brats. I pick one of the kids because that's how I feel playng games, my essence not my looks.

In fact, the only gas sniffers I have known were teenage kids of white couples. So I think we are just wishing for more proportionate to the times, not just races.

I never noticed the gas sniffer in Prime Suspects but it's been a long while since I've played it. I don't think it occurs to me to analyze for stereotypes except for the overly buxom qualities Lara Croft displays especially considering that you have moves in that game whereby she must swing across a chasm on a rope then let go and body slam into a rock face and hang on by her fingertips. With her being so er, well endowed, it simply seemed very painful.

I don't like the villagers games but it is interesting that they consider 50 to be the point where you're broken down. Better to have ailments (x villager falls into chasm and breaks leg, therefore must walk with cane from then on and will be slower) rather than just say across the board every 50 yr old villager is weak.

Go to: