Chi3165
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

Re:Murder, She Wrote comments and reviews

[Post New]by Chi3165 on Nov 13, 09 2:14 PM
No one seems to notice that they are also already cooked!
I noticed that, too. I've not quite finished the first book, so am not yet sure if that has anything to do with the plot. I probably think not. But then, most people see them in their minds that way. We don't usually think of brown lobsters. It's no problem for me, but was a bit humorous.

I hope the following books are as long as the first. Also, this is one of the extremely few that I take the time to read (glance? - not too many long sentences) the narrative that goes along with the game. I haven't decided yet "who done it" so will be interesting if and when I come to a conclusion, if it is correct.

I like the idea of finding the vowels, although much of the time I don't bother unless it is to get it out of the way while looking for objects. I also like the idea of being able to instantly recharge the hint, although I seldom use it.

Fun game, not too hard, and hidden objects not eensy weensy. Nice diversity of games between finding objects, like it where one has to determine "which one is different." And, when figuring out the broken glass, well crumb. I couldn't manage to make the shards stay together. Probably looked at that puzzle for 5 or 10 minutes getting more and more irritated until I finally, actually, looked at my monitor only to see the base sitting to the right and I had to build it there. Well, duh!

Hope those that enjoy Hidden Object Games enjoy this one as much as I, and now I am off to buy it, play it, and have a !

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Nov 13, 09 2:36 PM

I like this game-the graphics and the voice acting are quite good and I also like the typewriter keys. That's different. My only complaint is there isn't enough interactive things to do. I still might buy it, though, because that is the only thing
I didn't like. Over all the game is great and I like that it is a longer game than many other ones. I give it .

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Nov 13, 09 2:48 PM
What a great game. So nice to have clear graphics, not just junk piles of objects to find, and a great story line to follow I certaintly hope this will be a series of games.

azmesa340
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by azmesa340 on Nov 13, 09 2:50 PM
FINALLY.....a Great Game! Thanks Big Fish!

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 13, 09 2:53 PM
Having finished the first case, I'd say that it's ok as HOGs go. I played it in timed mode (which it records) and finished in 43 minutes. (That's nearer two hours in elapsed time, since the puzzles aren't timed and I didn't skip any). 20 mins a chapter allowed, less than 5 taken. I missed one key and one ribbon which I'm not going back for. [I also used 5 hints, which are also counted]

None of the voices is the same as in the show.
Click on the Credits on the menu. Jessica Fletcher is Phoebe Moyer, etc etc.

The objects are clear, easy to find, and relevant. There's not much in the way of interactivity and what there is is local.

ETA I've just finished chapter 2 and it's shorter than chapter 1. It also seemed easier as I didn't use any hints.

ETA One typo: hoards of earwigs should be hordes of earwigs.

Edited on 11/14/2009 at 4:46:27 AM PST

[Post New]by FrankMorgan on Nov 13, 09 3:08 PM
AUGGGG...now what do I do?? Was all set to buy Alabama Smith in Quest for Fate until Murder She Wrote came along. Can only afford to buy one as already got two this month! Help!! Please compare the two (if you bought both) and help me out. Thanks.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Nov 13, 09 3:21 PM
Finally a game that lasts longer than my money leaves the account to pay for it. Enjoyable, easy on the eye's, typical MSW storyline, just good ol' fashion fun.

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Nov 13, 09 3:57 PM
just played the demo for 1 hr and found this game very boring and too easy and dull.... i think it's should be good for a beginner only in the hog business...

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on Nov 13, 09 4:05 PM
I'm with everyone else that I like the style of the game and having a long playing HOG is especially nice. Just about to buy it now. It's a definite plus for me that the voices are not exactly the same. As a native New Englander the doctor's awful accent was like nails on a chalkboard to me !

Frank, I really liked the play of the latest Alabama Smith, but found that I finished it in just about 2 hours. This game looks like it's at least 5, if that makes a difference to you. Also as someone mentioned the objects tend to be in different places the next time you go to a location, so there's probably more replayability here.

By the way, calsmom and chi, there are rare color mutant lobsters (not like from outer space, that's really what they call them). They can be green, blue, half-and-half, and even cooked-looking red, LOL!
Happy gaming all.

Edited on 11/13/2009 at 4:07:31 PM PST

Patty60
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by Patty60 on Nov 13, 09 4:30 PM
Poppa47 wrote:this looks like sure fire hit. I really like the missing vowel aspect to the object lists as it is something novel. I am sure some other games in the future will steal this idea.
Have 15 minutes left in the demo and book one is still not complete, this looks good for game length. It's too bad that since Angela Landsbury voiced over the Jessica lines that they failed to get Tom Bosley to do Amos Tupper. I will buy this game and some of you know how fussy I am as to buying HOGs. Poppa grade: A+

Patty60
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by Patty60 on Nov 13, 09 4:32 PM
Patty60 wrote:
Poppa47 wrote:this looks like sure fire hit. I really like the missing vowel aspect to the object lists as it is something novel. I am sure some other games in the future will steal this idea.
Have 15 minutes left in the demo and book one is still not complete, this looks good for game length. It's too bad that since Angela Landsbury voiced over the Jessica lines that they failed to get Tom Bosley to do Amos Tupper. I will buy this game and some of you know how fussy I am as to buying HOGs. Poppa grade: A+

But the sheriff isn't Tom Bosley's character, it's Mort, the second sherrif, the ex cop from NYC. So, Tom Bosley wouldn't have been a good voice for this character.

Patty60
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by Patty60 on Nov 13, 09 4:40 PM
nomatt wrote:I got to the very last part of the first chapter, right after sorting the jewelery. I thought there was a problem with the game, there was one piece outstanding even though I had already sorted it out in the mini game. I tried to restart it but clicked no to 'continue' by mistake. It then started a new game. I realised right away but there was no way out without saving the game!! I closed it through task manager but it still saved it, ARGHHHHHH! I have now lost two hours worth of play. Please release a patch that gives the option to exit without saving, please. I was quite enjoying it before this. At the moment I feel so cheesed off I don't know if I can be bothered playing through all that again.
Be careful.

I did the same thing, sorted all the jewelry and then when it cleard away, the screen just stays there without going to the next one. I don't know what is happening! I did the same thing with the first license plates, but decided to restart the game with another player name. I had all of the jewelry, at least it matched the screen shot from the walkthrough and it did disappear but now I'm stuck on this same scene.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Nov 13, 09 4:42 PM
FrankMorgan wrote:AUGGGG...now what do I do? HEY FRANK ,MAY I ASSUME YOU ARE A GUY ? IF I WERE A GUY & COULD ONLY GET ONE ..I WOULD GET ALABAMA ...ITS MORE OF A GUY THING ? MURDER GETS A LITTLE GIRLY THIS IS JUST A LADIES OPINION . ALSO ALABAMA :HAS ALOT MORE ADVENTURE..MURDER IS GOOD ; BUT NOT A HOLE LOTTA ADVENTURE..TGIF..EVERYONE ....

MargB
Minnow
Minnow
233 Posts

[Post New]by MargB on Nov 13, 09 4:48 PM
This was a definite buy for me.

A good, clear straight-forward HOG, no junkpile, relevant objects. Gentle and as corny as the tv programme. Good clean fun that you can let the kids and grandkids help in the searching for objects.

Yes, its fairly easy but its great for playing in the wee small hours when you're tired but can't sleep.

I always play with sound off so the clear printed dialogue is great for me, plus you can click through it instead of reading it then waiting for ages for the next page to come up which happens in some other games.

Looks like being a decent length so should be plenty of gameplay, not to sure about replayability - will have to wait and see.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Nov 13, 09 6:27 PM
rosiebvt wrote:By the way, calsmom and chi, there are rare color mutant lobsters (not like from outer space, that's really what they call them). They can be green, blue, half-and-half, and even cooked-looking red, LOL!

Well, rosibvt, as another native New Englander, my face is cooked (or mutant) lobster red, for not knowing that . Thanks for the info!

RaceCat3
Marlin
Marlin
9,644 Posts

[Post New]by RaceCat3 on Nov 13, 09 7:26 PM
What an excellent game! I finished the demo and bought it with my Octoberfest credit, and am waiting for it to finish downloading. Thank you to Legacy Interactive for creating such a wonderful game, and to Big Fish for bringing it to us!!

Kayster
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Kayster on Nov 13, 09 7:33 PM
I did not have high expectations - I did not like the TV show and the opening cut scene did nothing to change my mind.

But, when I started playing, I was converted. Lots of good stuff about this game.

* Crisp graphics - possibly the best I have ever seen. (hi res 30" monitor - like others, on mine it uses the middle section rather than the whole screen, but that is not a problem with this graphic quality)
* The "find the typewriter keys" is a great addition. I tried to figure them out without the keys first, and when i couldn't, go look for the keys. I mean, C_P - cup, cap, cop? Very clever and adds to the fun.
* I did not need many hints, but if you need more than one in a scene you can wait for it to recharge (no idea how long that takes) or click on the typewriter ribbon in every scene.
* Most, but not all, things appropriate to the location of the scene. Nothing outrageously sized (tiny elephant or gigantic pencil)
* If you have to revisit scenes this is the right way to do it. At first I thought I was going crazy but then I realized that the developers have moved things around the scene so looking for the same object is pretty much like starting all over again. Even the typewriter keys have new homes on revisits. Sneaky.
* Absolutely no weird translation issues encountered - everything so far is called the right name. Even the boat stuff is pretty much labeled properly (I always laugh at the near universal "ship steering wheel" for "wheel" - in all my years on boats I have only heard "steering wheel" as a calculated joke)
* Good relaxing play after some of the challenging HOGs and IHOGs I have been playing recently.
* Demo - did not even finish the first chapter. If that portends 5 to 6 hours of play I am so excited!
* 5 stories so I can play one at a time and alternate with the darker, more difficult ones.

Not so good:
* Yeah, the same cheesy, far fetched stories as the TV show. They go about haphazardly jumping to conclusions, questioning suspects and messing with the evidence.
* I might have to admit I actually like something related to Murder, She Wrote

Excellent playability and production quality.

.8/

(not 5/5 because of the Jessica Fletcher factor )

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Nov 13, 09 7:44 PM
Mr_Russ wrote:

None of the voices is the same as in the show.
Click on the Credits on the menu. Jessica Fletcher is Phoebe Moyer, etc etc.

They'd have to pay too much I suspect. As it is, they have to pay to use the name and likenesses.

tat2s
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
441 Posts

[Post New]by tat2s on Nov 13, 09 7:58 PM
FrankMorgan wrote:AUGGGG...now what do I do?? Was all set to buy Alabama Smith in Quest for Fate until Murder She Wrote came along. Can only afford to buy one as already got two this month! Help!! Please compare the two (if you bought both) and help me out. Thanks.

I haven't played this one yet (getting ready to demo), but it depends on your style. I just finished Alabama and really loved it, but it was HARD. I had to reference the walkthrough more often than I would have liked, but I was also being impatient instead of trying to think it through. That being said, I still loved the game. Hope this helps.

gellyitaly
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by gellyitaly on Nov 13, 09 8:35 PM
thanks for the fishes invaluable reviews, which have encouraged me to try it now-otherwise I wouldn't have bothered!

Go to: