pc_gamer
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Re:Chronicles of Mystery: The Scorpio Ritual comments and reviews

[Post New]by pc_gamer on Apr 5, 10 12:56 AM
I downloaded this game from another website (sorry BFG!), and I thought it wasn't too bad. Would have been nicer if the game was longer (and if Sylvie hadn't asked that bizzare question about the guard's biceps... for cryin' out loud, Sylvie....).

Will Tree of Life be up on BFG for download anytime soon?

STL531
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by STL531 on Apr 5, 10 10:58 PM
I was pretty disappointed with this game... while visually it was reasonably nice, it lacked in almost every other respect. I would say at least 75% of the game time was dialogue. The rest was mostly inventory-related stuff, with just a few real puzzles thrown in (and none of them are especially difficult or unique). I generally like a much greater ratio of puzzles to dialogue (Nancy Drew games are a great example of balancing the two), but am willing to forgive lots of dialogue if the story is really good. In this case, I didn't think it was nearly good enough to make up for the excessive talking. While it started out somewhat promising, the ending is pretty horrible in terms of explaining/wrapping up several different aspects of the story, and I was thoroughly confused about the motives of many of the main characters. I watched the closing "movie" again to see if I had missed something, but no... the developers just give you a baffling minute to close a game that included hours of dialogue. Not cool.

[Post New]by LindaKle on Apr 18, 10 12:28 PM
I was pretty unimpressed with this game... the amount of dialog is annoying, there aren't really any good mini-puzzles, and the main character (you!) is annoying. There's not a ton of logic to how tasks are sequenced and there's a lot of "back and forth".

The one thing that I did appreciate were the ever-available hints... and the graphics were really nice.

Wouldn't recommend it, though.

Darcy123
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Darcy123 on Apr 20, 10 4:20 AM
I recommend this game! I loved it... I found it similiar to Nibiru, although a little easier. I enjoyed Sylvie as a character, and the graphics are lovely. I loved the "?" which showed you all the areas of interest. I am not too fond of games where you have to run everywhere (excessively) and I personally, didn't find this to be the case with this game. (That is what drove me nuts with "Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None" (way too much running all over the place, sometimes with no clue as to where to go next).

Used the walkthrough only in a few places. I give it an 8 out of 10

[Post New]by wendylosangeles on May 2, 10 9:41 AM
thoroughly enjoying this game. i could do with a little less dialogue, but overall, really great fun. By the way, is it just me, or did the female tourist outside the dig site look exactly like FBI Agent, Nicole Bonnet? LOL !!

PetMice
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by PetMice on Jun 13, 10 8:28 AM
I have enjoyed what I have played BUT it then stopped letting me save and keeps telling me that there is an error: CoM.exe has stopped working!!!!!????? So I cannort review game as it will not actually let me complete it. Is this some sort of ploy....or part of the mystery!!!?

peony99
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by peony99 on Aug 17, 10 7:59 PM
mintjulelip wrote:So far I like this game. I DL the demo from another site (which has undoubtedly left cookies and other spyware on my machine) and I think I'll buy it from BFG.

I've had no technical issues with the game. I saved and was able to log back on and had no difficulty with my screen freezing. I didn't notice any real lag between characters and voice. The graphics are beautiful. I suspect you might need a slightly above average video card with at least 512MB of vid card memory. This may be why some people are having issues with lag and the game crashing or not being able to save properly. Any computer that was bought off-the-shelf 3-4 years ago probably only has 256MB of vid memory. The game req's state DirectX 8 so it doesn't require as much as some of the newer games. Most people should be able to play this on whatever rig they are using.

The mouse is a bit finicky. You must be fairly precise on some actions such as turning out the light in her bedroom. You can multiple click to make your character run thus saving time moving from place to place. Left click to pick items up, right click to "use" them (i.e. to read a letter you pick up, right click on letter in inventory and it will open to be read).

The game is set up in a very linear fashion so beginners to these LFG adventure games might find this a good starter game. The game simply won't allow you to do certain things until you complete the pre-req. Unlike some other LFG, it actually tells you where to go and what you're missing. It doesn't tell you "exactly", but in enough detail that you can figure it out. Some scenes do take some detailed searching to find items you need to pick up or examine but this is half the fun of these types of games.

This game is definitely easier than most LFG (such as the Nancy Drew games) so if you're wanting to try these types of games but find some of the others daunting, give this one a try. Not to mention, the walk-through gives very detailed step-by-step instructions if you get stuck. The story line is enough to keep you interested and trying to move forward. Instead of following the walk-though line by line, give this game a try and see if you can figure things out on your own. It's pretty logical (for the most part) with only a few red herrings that seem to have nothing to do with the plot.

Having only played an hour so far, I'd have to give it a 7 out of 10 for game play & storyline and a 2.5 out of 6 for difficulty (6 being most difficult).

peony99
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by peony99 on Aug 17, 10 8:02 PM
Hi Mintjulip - since you have progressed farther than I have can you help me with an issue I have not seen discussed yet? I am in the archeologist's trailer and cannot find the hook to hang the flashlight on. The W/T is not much help: just says to hang it on the shelf above the computer. But the entire area is pitch black and I cannot seem to find the correct spot. Can you help please?

diggermonty
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by diggermonty on Dec 2, 10 9:12 PM
Not a bad game. Too few characters though and one could easily predict who were going to be in the end scene. The ending was too abrupt and lacking in imagination.

My peeves were:

1. I these type of games the setting remains the same whenever a character returns to it game days later. same people, same parked car, etc. Why not tweak it a bit.

2. Why did Sylvia have that ring made? Was it used to open the crate at the end?

3. Why did the Mossad want to start the Apocalypse? How did they get to be involved?

4. Why haul around such a large inventory? A dead fish? Come on!

5. Syberia it aint.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Feb 5, 11 6:09 AM
I'm almost to the end, and i am quite enjoying this game. It's not, I don't think, quite as good as Tree of LIfe, but a very good game in its own right. The only glitch I've found so far is that the Vatican cab driver has a black beam that shoots out of his head. It's rather amusing, but I don't think it belongs there. It's an old fashioned adventure game with yes, lots of dialogue, but most of it you can click through. It was a little bizarre the first time the Cardinal appeared. You could see his teeth through the side of his face. All in all, I am very happy with the game. I don't see any replay value, but that's not why I got it.

[Post New]by simonthedog on Feb 27, 11 11:31 AM
I enjoyed this game, although the ending was rather sudden and anti-climactic. No trouble with glitches or voices fading out. Graphics were lovely, especially the sea around the temple in sunlight. I would have found it helpful if Sylvie could be more specific with hints. For example, if you keep clicking the car tire to no avail she could say, "I think I saw something in one of the bins that could be helpful here." Or, "I am going to need a tree bough to use with these wet napkins." Otherwise, I enjoyed it. Would like to visit Malta some day.

[Post New]by buzwazee on Mar 9, 11 7:11 PM
PetMice wrote:I have enjoyed what I have played BUT it then stopped letting me save and keeps telling me that there is an error: CoM.exe has stopped working!!!!!????? So I cannort review game as it will not actually let me complete it. Is this some sort of ploy....or part of the mystery!!!?

I reinstalled this game after quite a while. I stopped playing it way back because of this same problem and thought that with my newer computer, it would work.... NOT!

Now I can't save any games. It worked fine up until the time Sylvie goes to visit Istanbul and it runs okay UNTIL you try to save it. Then all that progress is lost. It just won't save!!

I wonder if anyone has any solutions yet? I mean, it's been a while since this post I'm quoting.

Thanks!

Edith9
Minnow
Minnow
283 Posts

[Post New]by Edith9 on Apr 4, 11 2:15 PM
Nice game, I did not have any technical problems, which are mentioned here. It´s a typical adventure game - you are looking for stuff (not HOG style ), combine objects, talk with people and so on. Graphic is OK (some location are beautiful), game itself is not very long - I finished it in 5 hours and I had to use walkthrough just once. I should mention that ending is very abrupt - maybe only negative element in game. But If you like adventure games Chronicles of mystery is not bad choice.

[Post New]by meretchen on May 13, 11 8:19 AM
What the...? Who... ? I... but...
What was that ending about? I couldn't tell who the people were. Was it Granc holding the uncle at gunpoint? And James in the priests outfit? Simon who came in later on? And why, what, where, who? I am utterly confused.

Great game, but I gotta say I'm pretty peeved about the ending.

Go to: