Re:Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ Collector's Edition comments and reviews

[Post New]by FrankMorgan on Nov 25, 09 6:16 PM
YOO HOO somebody! How do you know what chapter you are on?

[Post New]by Coronagold on Nov 25, 09 6:18 PM
When I saw 'collectors edition' I thought, "Screw December I'm getting it Now!" I'm not even halfway through it after 5 hours. (I'm not slow, just, thorough.) And the guy up there who said he was disappointed by finishing it in 3 hours must've been the same guy who finished Riven in one hour. Go back to your home planet, Ego. They miss you.

This is a stunning unexpected follow-up to RTR. I had no idea something like this was in the works. And it's very nice to see that they continue with the adventure-style navigation as well as the return of the morphing objects. True, I can live without the Blair Witch element but some of those videos are very well done. (And now I know where to look for a certain combination #.)

Marie Barone - "Better than Broadway!"

[Post New]by rmpboog on Nov 25, 09 6:22 PM
I thought "Every Game-Every Day" was assured when I was a Member. I am disappointed because now I have to be suspicious when I click on re-activate. I think it was a sneaky way of getting $6.99.

[Post New]by justwannaplay52f on Nov 25, 09 6:26 PM
Wonderful game!!!! Great replay value! Well worth the $....Well done Bigfish!!!!

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,653 Posts

[Post New]by AnnBy on Nov 25, 09 6:28 PM
There is a game every day for $6.99. TGT is Amazing Adventures the Caribbean Secret. You don't have to re-activate your account to be a game member just to buy games. Buy a game and click cancel for the game club. This Collectors Edition is only available to Game Club members but the regular version will be out in earlyish December for $6.99.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Nov 25, 09 6:30 PM
Hi fishies!

Played through today, around 7 hours worth of play. First, the cons:

Some of the worst English accents I've ever heard - and I am not a Brit. I frequently hear American actors try to pull off a Boston (MA) accent and it's like fingernails on a blackboard. I'm betting these are comparable for our friends across the pond.

Having one of the morphing objects be in a location where if you don't find it the first time through, tough luck. I addressed this through a PM with a BF person and was told that it may be changed for later releases.

That's it for the cons, folks. And now the pros:

Stunning, amazing graphics - as a graphic artist, this is naturally a big deal to me and I have to say, I do not know how they do it. By which I mean manage to have crystal clear graphics while maintaining a "period" feel to things. All of the MCF games from Ravenhearst on (and maybe Prime Suspects) have a distinctive look to them. MCF DG does NOT disappoint.

The soundtrack - I don't usually care about music in a game, probably because most times it isn't worth caring about. This is the first game where I turned down the effects sound so I could actually hear the music. It is beautiful, it is atmospheric, it is haunting (get it? LOL).

The puzzles - I get the feeling that BigFish heard loud and clear from a lot of people that the puzzles in RTR were maybe just a bit too difficult. I still maintain that whoever came up with the lights puzzle needs a good talking to. The puzzles here are perhaps a bit on the easy side, with the exception of the dials puzzle in the nautical bedroom (Yikes!), but I prefer a puzzle that challenges me a bit and then lets me get on with the game play. These do that.

The videos - I wasn't sure I would like this aspect of the game. Turns out it is a great way to fill out the story without being intrusive on the gameplay.

Last but certainly not least, the storyline - WOW, what a great idea for a game! I won't give anything away here but I was simply enthralled by the story. I couldn't wait to find out what happened next, and what the students discovered. It was also really fun to find out what we got right in the forums and what we did not. I think our collective batting average was pretty decent.

Happy gaming, fishies, and if you possibly can, snap up MCF DF CE.

P.S. HOW are they going to top this? Can't wait to see!

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Nov 25, 09 6:31 PM
Coronagold wrote:And the guy up there who said he was disappointed by finishing it in 3 hours must've been the same guy who finished Riven in one hour. Go back to your home planet, Ego. They miss you.

ROFLMAO

firekat7
Clownfish
Clownfish
954 Posts

[Post New]by firekat7 on Nov 25, 09 6:31 PM
jr7333 wrote:I'm having SO much fun playing Dire Grove! But why am I wrapped in two blankets with a space heater next to me turned on full blast??

I am taking my time playing and reading everything twice. I want this to last as long as possible since it will be a very looong year until the next release. Thanks so much to all involved with making and releasing this wonderful game. Got to go make some hot chocolate.............

I got very chilly while I was playing, also. The icier the game got, the colder I got. Had to put on a jacket by the time I got to the fourth student.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Nov 25, 09 6:46 PM
Oh, so that's what Jay (Jay Is Games/Casual Gameplay) was talking about. I figured it was because Al Gore gave a global warming summit in Yorkshire.

Edited on 11/25/2009 at 6:49:35 PM PST

rmpersun
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by rmpersun on Nov 25, 09 6:54 PM
rmpboog wrote:I thought "Every Game-Every Day" was assured when I was a Member. I am disappointed because now I have to be suspicious when I click on re-activate. I think it was a sneaky way of getting $6.99.
Hello,

We are pleased to announce exciting changes to Big Fish Game Club !

We have removed monthly commitments which will allow you to activate or cancel a Big Fish Game Club membership online at any time via the My Account section of Big Fish Games. We have also standardized our pricing to only $6.99 for all members. There are no longer Jumbo, Casual or Super members, just Big Fish Game Club members.

For only $6.99 per month, you automatically receive one game credit to redeem on a game of your choice and you get all the other great benefits including Live Chat Customer Service and early access to new games.

Every game is now only $6.99 at Big Fish Games.

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,653 Posts

[Post New]by AnnBy on Nov 25, 09 6:59 PM
And Dire Grove will be available for $6.99 soon......so every game is still $6.99.

I repeat.....what about the daily deals for $2.99 or the free games or $.99 games. Should they stop doing those since they aren't $6.99?

The Collectors Edition is more than $6.99, but the regular version without the extra will still be $6.99!

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Nov 25, 09 7:00 PM
Just had to drop in before I quit for the night. I will finish game after company leave on Friday. I loved, loved, loved the game. The graphics were great. I love having 'real' people in between on the tapes. Made it reallly feel like you were there and had to hurry or someone would die! Sure, there were spelling mistakes and bad accents, but who care about that stuff. It is suspensful and I did jump a couple times. Oh, then this afternoon I got a postcard from BFG saying I could download early. LOL. Well thanks for that anyway. Job well done BFG. Best game in a very long time.

jupiter51
Herring
Herring
383 Posts

[Post New]by jupiter51 on Nov 25, 09 7:16 PM
Love it! Each installment keeps getting better and better. Well worth the $19.95.

KUDOS BF!

A very special thank-you to the graphic artists. Simply lovely work.

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Nov 25, 09 7:45 PM
gpherder wrote:I was disappointed by the short length of this game - it took me less than 3 hours, start to finish.

Games we are required to pay full price on should at least be a decent length.

It took you 3 hours the first time?? Does that include doing all the puzzles and getting all the credits?? I'm impressed but feel bad for you that it took so short a time for you on first try.

MandaPanda421
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by MandaPanda421 on Nov 25, 09 7:54 PM
I love the game! A few minutes into it I decided that I shouldn't play this game in the dark! It only took me about 6 hours and I got half of the achievements! Now I'm going back to redo the game and get all of them!

Kimmy1971
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by Kimmy1971 on Nov 25, 09 7:58 PM
I just finished my 1st round in 4 hours and 18 mins I believe made the top score list on my page ... but missed 2 achievements.. LOL am going to play again to get the morphs and puzzles and no hints .... this time around wanna see the extras....

Had headphones on ...EEEEK... but loved it

also the symbol stuff.. was the ones like in RTR I was like COOL..

Yet again BRILLIANT.... great replay value for sure..

Happy Thanksgiving to All the BFG Family.. enjoy your extended weekend !!

Kimmy1971

[Post New]by dpstevenson2 on Nov 25, 09 7:58 PM
gpherder wrote:I was disappointed by the short length of this game - it took me less than 3 hours, start to finish.

Games we are required to pay full price on should at least be a decent length.

From reading others comments and playing myself it looks like it takes most people 6 or seven hours to complete so I think that it's worth the price.
I'm not even sure how 3 hrs is possible. Did you skip puzzles and other things?

[Post New]by friendoffelix on Nov 25, 09 7:58 PM
Yep, well done. Had to create a profile and comment I was so excited, lol. I've been following MCF silently for about three years now, but I think it is safe to say that they have a world-wide cult following, LOL. We might be oceans apart, but our love for MCF brings us together

[Post New]by pengwynner on Nov 25, 09 8:21 PM
Not going to review yet as I'm still on Chapter One (but AWESOME game so far!), but I just wanted to say how impressed I was with how fast the game downloaded. Normally, getting a 100-200MB+ BigFish game takes at least 10-12 minutes on my computer and intermittently pauses during download. MCF: Dire Grove is over half a gig in size and was probably the fastest game I ever downloaded! It never paused and came through in just less than 10 minutes. I could not believe it--especially with today being the release date and downloading it during peak time! Way to go whoever is running BigFish game servers!

Is the Collector's Edition worth it?

[Post New]by curlyroo on Nov 25, 09 8:25 PM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if you think the collector's edition is worth it? I am trying to save money and would rather use one of my game club credits towards the purchase later in December but I am curious to know if the extras are really worth itl I'm not so interested in the wallpapers, etc. I think they'e a nice touch, but I want to know if the extra levels and things that affect game play are worth it.

Thanks!

Go to: