Re:Echoes of the Past: Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by flosiemoo on Dec 1, 09 3:15 AM
i loved this game very good my grandson is now playing (so i,m getting sent outa room)

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Dec 1, 09 11:35 AM
teacup1951 wrote:Loved this game!

I am also loving this game. I am taking my time and have only used the walk-thru once. Well worth the money.

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Dec 1, 09 12:17 PM
Wonderful graphics, nice story line, RTR-like but easier (a tad). I find the actually puzzles (HOG and mini) challenging without wanting to rip my hair out. Purchasing!

leesmusic
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by leesmusic on Dec 1, 09 12:53 PM
WOW...what a great game. I could not stop playing...could not buy it fast enough and have been at the computer ever since. I'm sorry that the game is over. Thanks BF. "To be continued" .......PLEASE. I'll be waiting! The castle was beautiful, the scenes fun and exciting. The mimi games were fab, and all related to the outcome of the game. Wonderful!!!!!!![i]

Poppa47
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,489 Posts

[Post New]by Poppa47 on Dec 1, 09 2:20 PM
I became enthralled with Echoes when I beta tested the game a few weeks ago and now that I have completed the game my admiration of it has been enhanced. It is almost on a par with RTR with Echoes being a bit easier. I like the aspect of needing to complete a task to find a particular hidden object. The roaming around in various rooms of Echoes was a real plus. I am glad there were more rooms, since it does take place in a large castle. I enjoy games where the objects are era related so kudos to the developers for omitting modern items like jet planes, CD's etc.
I like the somewhat grainy look to the game here since as a player I am transported back in time to a place that isn't necessarily well lit and to a place that should have a bit of dust laying about after years of abandonment. I know from the betas that the objects do change on replay with the exception of screens where an inventory item must be found. I was very pleased with the to be continued ending as games of this quality need another go around. All in all Echoes is to me one of the A list games of the year that most gamers should really enjoy.

safarinow
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by safarinow on Dec 1, 09 5:50 PM
I too,LOVED the game. It tested the abilities and senses - one at times being frustration as I kept forgetting how to get back to the room I needed to return to . Enjoyed the storyline. GREAT GRAPHICS and MUSIC . I needed to use the walkthrough a couple of times, though. As I read some of the comments in the forum I was reminded of other great games I had not played for a while. Could some of you list your favorites for me?? I would like to try some new ones or redo some of the old. The MCF series is one of the best. Thanks BFG for hours of entertainment and for taxing my brain too!! Bye, safarinow

100thMonkey
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by 100thMonkey on Dec 1, 09 5:59 PM
I thought it was a cute one. I did get stuck a couple of times and I was never bored. The graphics I found a little messy maybe, but I thought it went a long way toward relieving too much of the junk pile idea. The puzzles were interesting, sometimes challenging.

I don't know if this is true, but it seems to be modeled in theory along the lines of RTR. Perhaps it had ambitions in that area. That is a good thing to model for sure. I.e., there is a storyline, you must follow the logic as you travel to different areas of the castle; you receive items to be used later. There is a helpful diary feature. Plenty of hints.

I thought the music was OK and, also, the acting.

It was far more interesting than some HOGs. I did buy it.

Main criticism was that the directional arrows sometimes didn't follow logic. Sometimes an arrow in another direction would lead you where you'd just been. But the mirror guy was helpful in determining it.

It was an OK game and kept me (<-- terribly spoiled now by MCF games) interested.

Worth a buy!

Masanders
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by Masanders on Dec 2, 09 12:18 AM
I must be the only one who played for 4 minutes and gave up. I could not maximize the window enough to see the items. It never got bigger than a 5 inch square in the middle of my screen. Apparently nobody else had this problem?

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Dec 2, 09 6:20 AM
I like this game. It was a lot of fun. I just wish it was lasted longer. I think I like this game better than Drawn: The Painted Tower. I enjoyed this game so much that I plan to do it over again today.

meatbun66
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by meatbun66 on Dec 2, 09 7:01 AM
I agree! It was a really fun game. You had to think about how to get to the next level and it was sometimes not so obvious or very easy. I like that in a game! I hope the makers of this game will create another one!

[Post New]by mixedmedia on Dec 2, 09 1:38 PM
Just played my hour freebie, and will buy. I love **** and puzzles. This one is very classy. I like the story, artwork and the exclusive use of items that fit within the game's historical setting. This game is just right for relaxing play. Music and sound effects are good too! Thank you BFG!

tat2s
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
441 Posts

[Post New]by tat2s on Dec 2, 09 7:56 PM
Well, Poppa loved this game, so I'm going to try it, lol. Based on the reviews, I think I'm just going to purchase right away. Can't wait for a new challenge. Thanks everyone for the informative reviews!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Dec 3, 09 8:09 AM
I freakin' LOVED this game!!!

Just finished it up and honestly? Though a bit blasphemous to say, with the exception of duration and complexity of environment, I liked it as well as RTR or Dire Grove. Seriously. It was on the short side, I finished in about 2.5 hours according to the game clock, but soooo satisfying. I would so prefer to have something this engaging and challenging, but not tooo tough, just right, then something a lacking that goes on and on. Sure I would have been happy to have the "continued" part NOW but very happy. Have to amend earlier rating and give this not only Poodlebear Approved but:

(only lacking that 2nd heart for shortness)

Pleeeeease let us see the "to be continued" part come to fruition!

JoJo1212
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by JoJo1212 on Dec 3, 09 1:48 PM
Hello - I did not think this game comparable to the ultra-creepy RTR (which was, remember a Return, part 2). I did not think it was as difficult in the puzzles nor as challenging in the **** parts. The artwork was _almost_ as good, but not quite, though I picked up on a few RTR remnants (broken dolls, some blood - all irrelevant to the story). The story is quite similar to several others, mentioned above, Isabella for one. Nor do I think it is anywhere near in cleverness to Drawn, which has to be one of the best produced, most stylish games ever.

All that said, it provided me with some much needed diversion.
Game on,
JoJo

[Post New]by brockagain on Dec 3, 09 7:08 PM
Loved loved loved this game. A little ****, a little adventure, a little puzzle and beautiful graphics with great actors. Took my time and played almost four hours. MCFs are my favorites but this is a very very close second.

gamer_girl_09
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by gamer_girl_09 on Dec 3, 09 7:17 PM
yeah, I really liked it. A lot of people are saying it only took them a couple of hours, but I didn't use a walk through and only used one hint (because I had NO CLUE what the object looked like that I was searching for) and it took me about 4. On the other hand, I like to take my time and enjoy the scenery when the graphics are this good too.

I enjoyed it.

kathymably
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by kathymably on Dec 3, 09 10:57 PM
I have to tell you that this really kept my interest! I love the fact that it is an even mix of Hidden object and strategy. Alot of the hidden object games get boring and some of the strategy games leave you wandering for ever! Keep it up guys! I can't wait for #2. I would buy games like this in a heart beat!

Edited on 12/03/2009 at 10:57:56 PM PST

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Dec 4, 09 4:57 AM
I finished this game I can't wait until they come out with part 2, I give this game a thumbs up..Big Fish Rocks.. I thought this game was excellent..The sounds and graphics and I loved where there was no timer, I can't stand them timers in some of there games..

esghi
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by esghi on Dec 4, 09 8:02 AM
i finished playing Echoes of the past. it's a very good game i think. it is like RTR which i like the most

echoes of the past is good but i think it is a little short. i got disappointed when it said to be continued cause i thought it would last long. anyway.. it is a good game. exactly worth to buy. if you liked RTR, then you'll be very very happy about playing this game, like i did. i'm looking forward to the new version.

thank you so much BigFish!
I love my Felix!

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Dec 4, 09 3:48 PM
I was not sure about this game. I read reviews and decided to give it a try. It's not the best game of the year but it's a very decent one. Lots of interaction along with HOs. The puzzles were interesting. The story is original. The music is good enough that I didn't mute it. There is potential which we will probably see in the sequel. I didn't like the graphics much, somewhat blurred and grainy. I hope they will address this issue in the future. The hint system is good and I needed it because of what I previously stated. The journal is very helpful.The difficulty level is medium. I took my time, read and listened to everything so I went through in 4 hours. Basicaly a good game. I give it out of 5. Thank you . Keep up the good work.

Go to: