tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

Re:The Dark Hills of Cherai comments and reviews

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Dec 5, 09 7:33 PM
I really liked this game. Great graphics, HOG not too difficult nor the puzzles but still challenging enough. I like havibng to switch between players and trading items. All in all a Good Game that took me several hours to get through and will make playing it again something to look forward to.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Dec 5, 09 8:41 PM
Absolutely fascinating game. Lots of playing time and plenty of replay value. Gorgeous graphics and lovely music. Beautiful setting and wonderfully complex, but not frustrating. The mini-games are so widely varied that there is something for everyone. The only negative I could find was that when you do want to skip a mini-game (face it, no one is great at everything), it takes a long time for the "Skip" option to charge. This is well worth buying and will undoubtedly become a favorite for many of us.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Dec 5, 09 8:52 PM
I too thought this a fascinating game ! I have been really enjoying it - I've been playing, in total, for about 3 hours - untimed mode - and I'm now just into the 3rd character. I like to take my time with games. The music is really nice - I do find some of the hidden objects are difficult to find as they can be somewhat on the small side. Only had to use the walkthru once in regard to finding the "meeting place", but now I have that figured out.

Thank's, BF, your site is the BEST, BY FAR !! BF is the FIRST SITE I go to when i turn on my pc every day !

Skeets181
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by Skeets181 on Dec 5, 09 9:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up regarding the snakes. I would of bought this game but not if there are snakes.

Skeets

Clamboy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Clamboy on Dec 5, 09 10:50 PM
I'm quite enjoying this one and plan to get it with one of my Nov bonuses. graphics and good, and objects can be fairly challenging. even in the don't help me mode one gets significant (perhaps excessive) steering, and the tool choice to task feature is pretty self evident.
still the story is pretty interesting, (in the slightly out there mode of haunted hotel or veronica rivers: portals to the unknown) silly but entertaining.
If you are having trouble with balky performance, try going to options and turning off the custom cursor. I have this problem onsome games with custom cusors, but not others. Still, this often helps my games run smoother, though i have no idea why. and no need to worry, as the cursor will continue to change to show actions or puzzles.

justnorma
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by justnorma on Dec 5, 09 11:14 PM
I really appreciate all the reviews here. Based on them, I knew I had to try it. And I did...until that butterfly came on the scene. I quit after about 20 seconds of it's incessant fluttering. My ADD mind just CAN'T take it. Too bad the developers didn't listen to their beta testers.

[Post New]by OnWisconsin on Dec 5, 09 11:17 PM
I just purchased (with a coupon) this game. I found it to be very different from most HOG games. I do think that the instructions regarding playing the game though all 3 of the characters was not clear...at least .. I did not understand it until I got stuck in the snake house. It took me a while to figure out what to do....

So just a note to others...you are all probably much smarter than I, but you do play the game through the eyes of each of the 3 children. Good Luck.

I recommend it! It has taken me days to find a game that I really wanted to get because I was able to use one of the November coupons.

Thanks again BFG....

OnWI

snoopy13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by snoopy13 on Dec 5, 09 11:55 PM
Quite possibly a keeper. I'll give it a try based on your awesome reviews.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Dec 6, 09 12:47 AM
This is what y'all get for saying there's no "innovative" games out lately.....ha! What's more innovative than playing as 3 different characters? Tres inventive IMHO.

This thing also looks really long, esp w/ all that to-ing & fro-ing one has to do to the Meeting Place. That is so irksome b/c when the character leaves it, it does not send them back to the previous scene & there's unnecessary backtracking. This could've been polished up a bit more so that wouldn't occur.

Restraining myself from glaring at Picman for starting that door locking craze LOL tho the puzzles in this aren't nearly as tough. Tho the hint takes 4ever to reload & so does the skip.

I like the concept but I am not as fussed over the game itself. If I have to look at one more jungle location.....full of concealing foilage & snakes & butterflies & weird animals.....ugh. A chipmunk is not a squirrel (wasted a hint on that one). Looking for a lot of the same things in each scene no matter who you're playing as. I think if it wasn't yet another jungle w/ so many repetitive HOs, I'd like it much more. It's a terrific idea for an IHOG.

sheilaclown
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by sheilaclown on Dec 6, 09 4:50 AM
I really want to love this game BUT it is soooo slowww - is there a fix for this? Please....

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Dec 6, 09 7:29 AM
I have only played the demo, haven't decided to buy yet. I thought playing as different characters was at first confusing. How did the key that one character found end up in the inventory off another character? This was before the tutorial on swapping items at the meeting place. I think this part of the gameplay would perhaps become clearer with further play.

I disliked the too obvious hints about what to do next. The directions for the puzzles were quite fractured. For instance: "Coins should be placed so that all symbols, as that of the coin lights up on the drum". WHAT! However I was able to visually figure out the puzzles that I tried even though the written directions were confusing.

In spite of the above shortcomings, I found myself becoming increasingly taken with this game as I played through the demo. Not enough to just jump right in there and buy. I will wait for my next credit and see what comes along in the meantime. I want a new Azada. Any news on that series.

altomedea
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by altomedea on Dec 6, 09 7:34 AM
This is definitely a game for me. Have gone through to the conclusion and the only irritation was getting back and forth to the meeting place but found if you select a character and move one step back into 'their' world, you can enter the map and return the character to the place where you left off in one easy leap.

Didn't find the puzzles too challenging, but the variety kept me amused. The beauty and clarity of graphics made this an extremely relaxing way to spend a couple of days pottering. Music not irritating and I think fitted the scenery well

Excellent

torqane
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by torqane on Dec 6, 09 8:30 AM
Yes, I also beta tested it a few days ago. Thre's no way they ever intended to respond to the issues that were raised by testers--they simply had a clause in their contract that they had to run a beta test, did so, and ticked that box.

That said, the butterfly didn't bother me as much as some (but neither do snakes people draw on the screen--heh) but I dislike mislabeled items and grammar/spelling errors to the point it brings me back to reality when I hit it. I've seen some items mislabeled in such a way that I actually think one person builds the level and someone else labels the items without discussion with the artist about what the item is. I've also seen some that were obviously English-ized versions of foreign words, which in this day and age is absurd. Even Google can translate pretty well!

In any case, I liked the game a lot (loved the background music) and I did have it in my list to buy after beta--just didn't expect it to be the same week. Artifacts of the Past however (beta offer 3 hours after this one!) they can keep on the shelf or go do some work on it before release. I don't remember what I said now but I was in a helpful mood

torqane
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by torqane on Dec 6, 09 8:32 AM
...and then I misspelled "There" in the first sentence. Spelling karma is tough to beat.

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Dec 6, 09 9:40 AM
Sadly, I had problems downloading this game. I NEVER have problems. And my rule is that if the trial is easy...I won't try further...Thank you for the reviews tho. Sounds like a good game.

wvsandy
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by wvsandy on Dec 6, 09 11:42 AM
Easy game for HOG enthusiasts with not-very-hard mini-games and beautiful graphics. Even though I found the game fairly easy, I enjoyed the demo, and I'm keeping it on the to-be-considered list. There are times when I enjoy playing a game that doesn't tax my brains too much, and I think this game would fall into that category. And I'm curious enough about the plot to want to see Arjun rescued from the evil Magician.

For those having trouble with the game, I'm running Vista 64 bit, and had no trouble at all running the game.

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Dec 6, 09 4:24 PM
I think this game was way too short and way to easy. I also believe that Echoes of the Past: Royal House of Stone was way to short also. However; at least Echoes of the Past: Royal House of Stone was fun to play. I believe that $6.99 was to much to pay for this simple game. I am really disappointed.

Edited on 12/06/2009 at 4:29:03 PM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Dec 7, 09 8:41 AM
I did buy this game after seeing the lovely scenery but ended up forcing myself to complete it even though it was a short game.

Using the 3 characters and getting them to swap objects was the best part and if they had of done more with that I think the game would have been more interesting. The game did tell you who to give what to etc which kind of took away from the fun of it.
Hidden objects were simple to find, you could just click on everything on the screen without looking at the list and pick up most of the items you needed. The items repeated so you basically knew which ones you had to find after a few scenes.

There was a variety of puzzles, some were simple and others a bit more challenging but nothing that difficult that could not be completed.

Not a bad game but I doubt I would play it again.

ljhiluvbf
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,896 Posts

[Post New]by ljhiluvbf on Dec 7, 09 8:55 AM
This is actually my first review of a game. I have been a member for almost a year. I really thought this was a fine game and purchased it. If after the trial is over and the game still has my interest I usually buy. I am usually a little disappointed if it tends to be short and I usually check out the reviews before I purchase for possible replay, But I do appreciate all of your comments it usually impacts my decision to buy or not.

HighlandMax
Manatee
Manatee
3,824 Posts

[Post New]by HighlandMax on Dec 7, 09 9:44 AM
IMO, a very good game. If you like mini games, this game has loads of them, some very easy and others that take a bit more of intelligence. Once you learn how to get Maya to the meeting place, the game is fairly easy to play and most interesting. The only thing I didn't really care for, was the guide magician who kept popping up, but, on the other hand, he was helpful in what to do or what not to do.
How to solve some of the mini games, is right there, you just have to look. The only time you are are not given instructions on what to do, is the very last at the end, when you have the gems in the inventory and the wicked magician standing there.......you have to figure out what to do with the gems....but even that isn't hard.
Most objects are easy to find, however a very few are hard to see, but in this case, you do have your hint button. Only once did I have a hard time seeing a dragonfly after the hint told me where it was, it was green on a green leaf.
Last but not least......pay attention to the journel, and other papers.

Go to: