puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

Re:The Otherside: Realm of Eons comments and reviews

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 6, 09 9:44 PM
hog ger said So Sorry you have lost the child in you. I'm a great-grandmom and am enjoying the crisp graphics, the light theme (many dark themes lately with Christmas around the corner) , and ease of finding logical objects

Amen! Maybe the rating could be Good for kids and over 70.

I think it is my inner-mother absent lately who usually curtails my spending on games LOL. She made me not hit Buy on the demo for just having fun, or my curiousity where it was going next. Sometimes I do skip story and dialogue on timed demos to get more gameplay to judge. But this was so minimal and different.

Minis, I love jigsaw puzzles and not a lot of mind energy, don't have that much left to spare. Mainly, I enjoy games I can finish myself in 2 hours, rather than spend an hour of play then 2 or 3 hours leaving it and searching for help, waiting for post replies the next day. If I can't finish a game in 2 hours or one sitting I'm afraid next time I resume I'm usually lost, can't remember where I went astray, where I've been. I like the continuity. Wish I had some grands to help me, sounds more fun.

I keep a folder of Finished Games and Pending or Maybes or STUCK. This one is definately going in the hungry former as soon as I leave here (yes Mama it is free with my coupons). I'm not embarrassed to say I thought it was delightful, different, and more my idea of fun than stuck in a dark dungeon begging for help.

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Dec 6, 09 10:03 PM
Oh boy this month will send me broke I already have the six one each day in December and have enjoyed them all the least was Jack the Ripper but what a great start to the month. To get some decent games not junk piles with items that relate to period and size in most cases, decent mini games that do not repeat, constantly. not too hard that it cannot be worked out. but the main thing I found is that the Developers have been listening, I know that they cannot please everyone but the have pleased ME,

I have enjoyed everyone of them, and nearly did not buy some checking out the reviews. but on a whole pleasantly surprised that the all got even better as time went on, also none to short, or boring. I did get one with vermin and I have a stupid phobia with mice and rats but I finished it quick smart and went on. Thankd

Cheers
lineck

snoopy13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by snoopy13 on Dec 6, 09 10:38 PM
Are the HOG's getting easier or am I just getting better at playing them? LOL

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Dec 7, 09 12:43 AM
snoopy13 wrote:Are the HOG's getting easier or am I just getting better at playing them? LOL

Depends on what you are looking for, I was fed up with junk pile search and that has been the way for a while but last week most games were hidden but related and found I actually started to enjoy h o again becaue of that. I have that many games now that Ii do like a good variety but no good at t m or arcade so it is puzzles and h o m also do not like walking around in a lot of the adv.

Cheers lineck

misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by misty5 on Dec 7, 09 3:07 AM
Gentlsong wrote:
misty5 wrote:I played the "Dark Hills of Cherai" demo and loved it! But my computer only has 512 MBs of RAM, and Cherai requires much more. Is there any way to add MBs without my having to send computer to the computer guy for who-knows-how-many days??

As for "The Otherside", played the demo and found the storyline interesting, but the hidden objects and mini puzzles are just a little too easy. Don't think I'll be buying this one.

Hi Misty,

I checked the RAM requirements for the Cherai game, and it only requires 256 MB of RAM. With 512, you already have twice that. And...since you were able to play the demo, that probably means you won't have a problem with the game.

HTH!

misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by misty5 on Dec 7, 09 3:11 AM
Gentisong, thanks for straightening me out on the RAM needed for "Cherai". I must have gotten the stats confused with another game and doubt I would ever have looked at it again to discover my error. Off to buy it now!

Edited on 12/07/2009 at 3:12:34 AM PST

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Dec 7, 09 4:29 AM
Ok, in a nutshell since I was asked by a few folks - I thought this was a good game, nothing particularly new or interesting though. Very nice graphics, probably the best thing about the game. I thought the music was terrible and repetitive, probably the worst thing. Some interactivity, good clean hidden object scenes and moderate refilling endless hints. I found it a little too easy, both in finding the objects and the puzzles involved. Interesting story but again, nothing particularly new.

The little floating bear guy creeped me out.

I actually did the Beta for this just a few days ago and had it freeze my system 3 times, to the point I had to reset. The demo took up where the Beta left off and played the full hour without incident so maybe that glitch was fixed. I will not be buying as nearly to the end with Beta and Demo. I'd say it's a little on the short side. So... nothing terribly wrong, but nothing terribly right.

[Post New]by nanae34 on Dec 7, 09 7:26 AM
i have tried the trial version and i got to the part where you have to find the brown package and click on the table..well i click clikck click and nothing. i am stuck,someone help. am i doing something wrong?

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 7, 09 7:52 AM
I did that task on demo, then bought the game and started over and passed it again so I know it is doable. Just don't have it up now to see how. When you found the box does it also say find a scissors to complete the task? I was a bit confused learning this new way of using inventory, getting groups and all click to the sparkles together. Maybe that's it, if you have all items then click on that group in bottom bar and click the table. Or maybe just the box, then find the scissors. So far when I'm stuck like in a later pawn shop, I couldn't find liquid I needed for a task, but I had done them (the hot spots) out of sequence, and got confused. I went over to the other place, a soda machine and worked that task and got what I thought was a missing glitch.

Hope you can work it out, did you use a hint? The mechanics of this hog is quite different than previous games for me but once I got the hang, no problems. There may be a walkthru now but wasn't up yet for me. I'm loving it

[Post New]by unicornfish on Dec 7, 09 8:24 AM
Love the game! Graphics is amazing, the story is very unusual and intrigue. I’ve played the demo and really want to know what’s at the end. It’s very exciting. I liked this small bear and his tricks. I just had fun. I’m going to buy a full version.

[Post New]by ChocolatStarfish on Dec 7, 09 8:27 AM
I love this game. Interesting story and mini-games are not very difficult. And very cute graphics! I really enjoy the demo. Will buy this game as a gift to Christmas.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Dec 7, 09 8:27 AM
I found this game highly enjoyable. The story moved along at a good pace and was intriguing enough to keep me playing non stop.
The graphics were great and lots of little touches to the game made it seem like a lot of work and care went into the making of this.
Good hint system and the finding a set of objects to make one worked well.

It took me about 5 hours to play though I did skip most of the tanagrams towards the end as I was tired of those.
Would have taken me about 7 hours had I chose to complete those.

Just when you thought the story was coming to an end a whole new twist would happen.

I found some scenes very simple to find the objects and others you had to search quite thouroughly.

Very nice game and great value

AndysRJ
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by AndysRJ on Dec 7, 09 9:18 AM
This game just did not hold my interest. It was too slow paced for my taste. If you a looking for a good kids game this may be okay, but if you are looking for something to make you think - this is not the game you want.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 7, 09 10:25 AM
re RAM, everyone says it is easy to install yourself, and cheap to buy online. But I paid a kid down the street $20 to put mine in the older HP once. WOW got it up to 200ram LOL.

I have just 512 on my pc with XP and plays most games fine, on 2 that say min is 512 they ran a few levels, then minimized to task bar. I did disk cleanup, restarted fresh and do about 2 levels at a time exit and refresh between levels. I think different graphics cards use different RAM too. Best thing is send a DocFelix copy to CS, they can tell you how to do that, and then say if your sys is capable as is or not or a fix.

On The OtherSide, I did find my mouse started getting a bit clumsy when on my pc which is less RAM but faster than laptop. Mouse I use on laptop Vista no problem. So many variables.

After saying earlier I didn't mind a game of 2 hours, like to finish in one sitting, I just saw the walkthrough posted late. Took me an hour to do 3 levels and OMG I see there are 25! Well, as long as I'm having fun that's fine with me but at that rate and trying to logic it all out myself, well, cya in a couple days.

Are we getting smarter? Hmm more proficient with experience maybe, getting to know their game of where to look for shapes etc. But I know I am getting smarter being more discriminating, doing demos, holding back for buying what is fun for me and not long drawn out frustration keeping up with the crowd. So, depends smarter than what or in what.

[Post New]by Clematis_es on Dec 7, 09 11:41 AM
I agree with most reviewers, the game is very easy compared with most. But, then, the storyline is interesting and coherent, the graphics are wonderful, and last, but not least, one does not get frustrated as with other HOGs.
It would be a great Christmas gift of a child and it is a must for parents, grandparents, uncles & aunts, anyone caring for a child during a the holidays.
All in all, I do recommend it. I bought it and have enjoyed it.

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on Dec 7, 09 1:51 PM
I tried the demo and came to buy. Interesting storyline, lovely clear graphics, HOG items fit the area you were in and were relatively easy to find. Finding a number of objects to then interact was something else was fun and the mini games weren't difficult. The Teddy Bear was a little creepy though!

All in all I loved this one and satisfied my inner child

The Otherside: Realm of Eons comments and reviews

[Post New]by jazzylee on Dec 7, 09 1:58 PM
cche wrote:Played for 40 minutes, completing 3 scenes of I don't know how many.

Nice graphics and an engaging story have made a good start on this one. What animation there is fails to improve the game; it's harmless though.
Hidden Objects are given by image, and not located logically; lots of invisible velcro here. Kind of interactive, in that you find a group of objects, one of which you will use to interact with and active area or character. Minigames are fairly standard, and not difficult. Music is repetitive, and likely will irritate some.

I might buy it for the story, but probably not really soon.

4 of 10 over all.

[Post New]by jazzylee on Dec 7, 09 2:01 PM
this is a different question, cause I've never posted anything before so don't really know where to go to do it.
I tried to download this game three times, it just gets to 100% and instead of installing it just starts over any suggestons?

SolarEclipse
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by SolarEclipse on Dec 7, 09 6:02 PM
jazzylee wrote:this is a different question, cause I've never posted anything before so don't really know where to go to do it.
I tried to download this game three times, it just gets to 100% and instead of installing it just starts over any suggestons?

A bunch of other people are having the same problem including myself. I started a thread about it called Download/Install Error.

num1mxmom
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by num1mxmom on Dec 7, 09 7:38 PM
I purchased this game hoping it would get better and I beat it. I didn't like the mini games and the whole game was too easy. Not challenging enough for me. I did like the story and the graphics were good, but the game for me was just OK, nothing great.

I give it out of 10

num1mxmom

Edited on 12/07/2009 at 7:40:26 PM PST

Go to: