Re:Jane Angel: Templar Mystery comments and reviews

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 7:42 AM
azmesa340 wrote:why does B.F. have to go to other countries to get games? Aren't there enough American developers to use? There's no excuse for bad English if you intend to sell in this market.

Of course I'm not BF, so I'll try to answer your latest sentence.

I'm sure you are exaggerating when you spoke bad English And I bet you didn't play this game yet. As I wrote above - we'll fix scissorses and bugs like this.

Kathilisa
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by Kathilisa on Dec 10, 09 8:02 AM
I think there are lots of good things in this game. I like the graphics and the music, and the idea behind it.
I don't even mind the clicky camera sound......
The scrolling room is a new idea...although it is amusing how one poster spotted that it helps you find things by judging when they go grey in the list!!
Yes it is let down by the poor English and spellings
and the odd descriptions e.g. ruler, when it is a tape measure

and I have actually got completely stuck on the lights puzzle at the end of the first level, and when I tried to skip it, I got into a stuck screen which I couldn't get out of

I restarted via windows, and tried the bulbs again....no joy and my hour is now up....

Don't think i will buy this one just yet, but I would urge the developers to keep going with their ideas, and also make sure the English has been checked carefully next time

diner524d
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by diner524d on Dec 10, 09 8:13 AM
I just finished the one hour trial and really enjoyed this game. I liked the different types games rather then just a traditional HOG. I also enjoyed the mini games. I don't buy a game for the story or appropriate spelling, no one is perfect, but rather for the fun and challenge a game provides. Thanks for a fun filled game.

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 8:20 AM
diner524d wrote:I just finished the one hour trial and really enjoyed this game. I liked the different types games rather then just a traditional HOG. I also enjoyed the mini games. I don't buy a game for the story or appropriate spelling, no one is perfect, but rather for the fun and challenge a game provides. Thanks for a fun filled game.

Thank you, diner!
We did our best to keep this game out of being boring!
I'm sure if all who are speaking a lot about spelling, will play this game as a game, they'll change mind.

Terri218
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,211 Posts

[Post New]by Terri218 on Dec 10, 09 8:35 AM
Eugene_Duranin wrote:Hi, I'm Eugene one of JA's developers (actually one of two ).
Thanks to everybody for attention. I'd like to answer some common questions I saw.
1) Tiny objects - we made our best to evade tiny objects problem. Even in case the object is small, there is safe area around - you shouldn't be a sniper, just click close to this object.
2) Bad spelling - I apologize if there is screaming mistakes! We aren't native speakers (Although all textes were under native speaker correction). So you should excuse us when we use one of possible word's translation (I'm talking about swabs and mobs). Hope it will not be a cause to miss interesting story and gameplay we made
3) About hardware problems - this game was tested a lot, so I'm sure (especailly if you meet similar problems with other game) you should ask for technical help for your PC.
I'm sorry but it drives me crazy when a lot of people report problems with a particular game and then the developer or game site says "Well it's not us, it must be you". I know not every game is compatible with every computer but in my experience when there are so many people who can't play it, the problem is on your end. I will not be buying this one.

Edited on 12/10/2009 at 8:36:37 AM PST

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on Dec 10, 09 8:38 AM
Eugene your posting here certainly makes me more interested in the game. It is no longer put out by a 'faceless' identity, but real people. Silly I know, but it makes a difference. Now I'm determined to give this one a try as soon as I have the chance. Bad spelling and grammar is unfortunate, but as a second language english speaker I know just how quirky the english language can be, and then to top it all you have the big differences between the english spoken in different 'english' speaking nations. It is like walking a mine field, never knowing when you are saying something wrong or using a wrong word!
I find that once I've figured out a swab is a mop I know that for the rest of the game, right?I only have to figure it out once, and in my opinion, that is hardly a hardship!
I'm looking forward to playing the demo, and I say "bring it on you non-american developers"! You have a different view and approach and it adds to the variety and choice out there!

Oh and Pepper...your linguistic info is fascinating!! Thank you!

Edited on 12/10/2009 at 8:41:07 AM PST

woodentot
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,391 Posts

[Post New]by woodentot on Dec 10, 09 8:44 AM
Message deleted.

Edited on 12/10/2009 at 8:48:26 AM PST

woodentot
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,391 Posts

[Post New]by woodentot on Dec 10, 09 8:47 AM
If you look in an English Dictionary, you will find that one of the definitions of swob is a MOP. Used to swob down ship's decks.

2leap
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by 2leap on Dec 10, 09 8:50 AM
I really like this game. Played the demo and bought immediately. Love Templar history so this is really fun. Got used to the scrolling and found it workable. The occasional "guess the word" is quirky but not a problem to my enjoyment. The graphics are good and hints are generous. Actually, I like the international feel to the game
And thanks to developer who takes the time and effort to read and respond to posters. More, please.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Dec 10, 09 8:51 AM
I am soooo sick of HOGs and this one is no exception. I guess I'll just have to wait until something comes along I like.

bobobear
Flounder
Flounder
2,315 Posts

[Post New]by bobobear on Dec 10, 09 8:55 AM
Hi Eugene,
I know how much hard work goes into these games and I'm sure that most people respect that. The graphics are very sharp in this game and although there were spelling errors, they really don't bother me much. I realize there are language differences and I can pretty much figure out what I am looking for. I think it is a nice game to relax with for those that are looking for that. Personally I kinda like being able to talk to one of the developers. I always wanted to tell you guys that I appreciate your hard work.

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 8:59 AM
2leap wrote:I really like this game. Played the demo and bought immediately. Love Templar history so this is really fun. Got used to the scrolling and found it workable. The occasional "guess the word" is quirky but not a problem to my enjoyment. The graphics are good and hints are generous. Actually, I like the international feel to the game
And thanks to developer who takes the time and effort to read and respond to posters. More, please.

Thank you, 2leap!
It is really important for me to know auditory reaction. And, of course, good comments make me happy Constructive critisism are also welcome. But it is strange to read that someone hates HOG. All announcement said "Jane Angel" is HOG!

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 9:02 AM
bobobear wrote:Hi Eugene,
I know how much hard work goes into these games and I'm sure that most people respect that. The graphics are very sharp in this game and although there were spelling errors, they really don't bother me much. I realize there are language differences and I can pretty much figure out what I am looking for. I think it is a nice game to relax with for those that are looking for that. Personally I kinda like being able to talk to one of the developers. I always wanted to tell you guys that I appreciate your hard work.

Hi, bobobear.
It is also pleasure to me to speak with players who like my work This game we made for players! And second for money

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Dec 10, 09 9:10 AM
I do not like to say anything bad about a game. I know the developers work very hard to bring us these games. The only thing I found with this game is that the downward scrolling from scene to scene got me sick. The side to side scrolling, between one part of a scene to another was fine because I could somewhat control it. The graphics were nice and clear and the spelling errors didn't bother me.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Dec 10, 09 9:10 AM
I have found that some WORDS even in USA are SOUNDED different!
So, I feel it makes it harder for other COUNTRIES try to match the USA English.

I am from the South TN, and DH is from the North OH. We have been married over a few yrs, and to this day we say WORDS differently. I live in FL and people all the time tell me that i have a very strong Southern accent. Try and SPELL my words..lol..lol
I was told by a Northern teacher that, I BUTCHER the ENGLISH WORDS!
In the NAVY they say SWAB the deck...means MOP!

We fishies are all the times wishing to express our views to the Developers, NOW we can.....SO BE NICE!
I like the game I love mysteries. I have watched Templar Movies. the History is very INTERESTING! GOOGLE IT.
I say THX FOR A VERY WELL MADE GAME!
PEN

Edited on 12/10/2009 at 9:13:27 AM PST

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,653 Posts

[Post New]by AnnBy on Dec 10, 09 9:11 AM
azmesa340 wrote:why does B.F. have to go to other countries to get games? Aren't there enough American developers to use? There's no excuse for bad English if you intend to sell in this market.

Picman has posted they work with over 500 developers. He has also posted that he's traveled here or there to meet with developers (in foreign countries). My understanding (which may be wrong) is that a lot of the developers are in fact out of the US.

Also, I've been told before that English is one of the hardest language to learn due to the different spelling rules for everything. I always appreciate those who try to learn our language, and it seems this country is in the minority as far as "having" to learn another language.

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 9:25 AM
Thank you, AnnBy for your support.
That's true - there is a problem of choice. Same way you can get lost in many dialects of Russian or Ukrainian! Different territories - different rules. I'm sure that American English sounds strange for Englishman.

Edited on 12/10/2009 at 9:25:51 AM PST

Dawspaws
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by Dawspaws on Dec 10, 09 9:27 AM
Hi All in the Pond. I just bought this game, but haven't played it yet. From many of the comments, it sounds like it may be a good one. As for those who don't like things being named differently from what we're use to, I suggest you look at it as another twist of the game. Example: When the game calls for a "lift" it is kind of fun (to me anyway) to try to figure out what could be lifted or like a "bat". It could be a baseball bat or a bat that flies. Anyway, just a suggestion. Have a great day to all and have fun playing.

ducle
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
422 Posts

[Post New]by ducle on Dec 10, 09 10:03 AM
Granted, I play HOGs slowly because of bad eyesight, and I haven't gotten too far in the demo, but I haven't had a single problem with word choice, spelling, grammar, etc. Even if there are errors, the meaning is clear, and that seems to me to be the point.

Shame on the (few) xenophobes who've posted here.

I'm generally tired of HOGs, but I found this one refreshing. I like the scrolling aspect (you can do it with one hand, BTW, I was holding a cup of tea in the other), the graphics are clear, and I thought the background of the story was interesting. I don't know yet whether I'll buy it, but it's definitely a candidate.

Eugene, I really appreciate your coming here to speak with us. Wish more developers were as approachable.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Dec 10, 09 10:08 AM
Eugene_Duranin wrote:Hi, I'm Eugene one of JA's developers (actually one of two ).
Thanks to everybody for attention. I'd like to answer some common questions I saw.

2) Bad spelling - I apologize if there is screaming mistakes! We aren't native speakers (Although all textes were under native speaker correction). So you should excuse us when we use one of possible word's translation (I'm talking about swabs and mobs). Hope it will not be a cause to miss interesting story and gameplay we made

Eugene,

I hope you didn't pay the person who claimed to be a native speaker and reviewed this game for you. It wasn't just a matter of using the wrong words, because the entire game was hard to follow because the sentence structure was so bad. Either the person lied to you and was not a native speaker, or they never even looked at the game.

English is a very difficult language because it "borrows" from nearly every other language on the planet and because American English is different from British English which is different from Canadian and Australian English. What is called a "mop" in America is often called a "swab" in England, and that wasn't a problem for me. The "biscuit" that is like a dinner roll in America but a cookie in England showed up looking like a cheesecake in your game, however, and I'm not sure where that usage came from. My main problem was trying to follow the dialog when the sentences either didn't contain a verb or was just confusing because it was translated badly.

If you are paying for translations, you might want to use testors from the countries where you will market the product. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum alone that would be happy try your game for free in exchange for honest corrections to the lanugage problem. Big Fish Games might be able to help you find testers who are real native speakers.

It is a great game with beautiful artwork and an interesting storyline. You will get a lot more repeat customers for your products if you can solve the language problem.

Julie S.

Go to: