Re:Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ comments and reviews

[Post New]by crb7189 on Dec 12, 09 11:41 AM
Two things. One during game play I had the key to back upstair room - now it's gone & I can't open door.

Also, we should have been advised that if we waited we would NOT be getting the same game play as the CE. That's not right.

terry1921
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by terry1921 on Dec 12, 09 11:55 AM
terry1921 wrote:I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW DISAPPOINTED I AM!!!

I LOVED Ravenhurst and couldn't wait for the next one. When the big one came out..I counted the days until the club version came out...I bought it yesterday and played my heart out....only to find that the program glitched...I could not get Felix's Sketch...but didn't think anything about it. It just wouldn't come up...even when I went back and did everything POSSIBLE to do...then I took the Kerosene to the hunter's cabin...the second search wouldn't come up....OK, who needs potato chips? When I found all fo the students and tried to get the stone rabbit's head to drop the hammer just kept going back into inventory...so I couldn't go any fruther....

So, I thought it was perhaps my computer...so I downloaded it on another computer..new machine...new download...HAD THE SAME PROBLEM IN THE SAME PLACE..... I DON'T KNOW WHETHER TO CRY OR SCREAM!!

terry1921
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by terry1921 on Dec 12, 09 11:58 AM
I was so frustrated, I went through the walkthrough from where I was stuck forward...I finally realized that EVERYTHING I COULD NOT GET WAS ALL RELATED TO THE BIG FISH SYMBOLS...by looking ahead, I realized that they were a dead end in the story line...if I skipped them, I could continue with the game...so that entire story line much not be part of the $6.99 game...DO YOU THINK SOMEONE COULD HAVE MENTIONED THAT ON THE WALKTHROUGH??????

[Post New]by theatergirl on Dec 12, 09 12:10 PM
Hi all, Stayed up till midnight to download. It is a beautiful game and as I am on hiatus at work. I start back up in January and couldn't get Collector's Addition till the end of next month. Graphics are wonderful but I do miss the changing objects. Do we get a discount BF if we upgrade in the future. Love these games and only working part time right now, these games are my guilty pleasure. Raining here and really enjoying the game. This is my first post. Looking forward to more MCF games. Hidden Objects are my favorite.

[Post New]by carol12251954 on Dec 12, 09 12:44 PM
bought it after the trial, downloaded it played quit for night, came back in morning and it wouldnt work had to reload ,quit last night, came back just now and says error5 any help would be appreciated i really like the game

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Dec 12, 09 12:48 PM
Well I have too say I love this game. I bought the $6.99 version and I could care less about morphing objects. I am having a hard enough time going from scene to scene, and doing what I am suppose to do advance in the game. I had Madame Fate for 2 years before I knew it had morphing objects. I just want to thank Big Fish for another great game.

bronte311
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by bronte311 on Dec 12, 09 3:01 PM
I just finished the game earlier this afternoon and really enjoyed it. The art and music were both amazing and definitely set the mood for the game. I enjoyed the little touches of humor throughout, too--the non-game related books on the bookshelf, for example!

The videos were creepy (I'm easily scared!) but I agree with those who have said that they would rather have that money go elsewhere--and the puzzles were a little too easy. I really miss the door puzzles of Ravenhearst! I also thought the ending was a little abrupt. No spoilers, but I would have liked to have seen a little more immediate aftermath before skipping ahead in time...

When it comes down to it, though, we all know the vast majority of hidden object/adventure games coming out right now are not that great, so even if Dire Grove is not *quite* as good as others in the MCF series, it's still definitely worth buying.

bronte311
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by bronte311 on Dec 12, 09 3:05 PM
Oh! And I was going to say, the Nancy Drew games have two difficulty levels built in: Senior and Junior Detective. It would be great if future MCF releases could have that too, so those who don't like the complex puzzles can still enjoy the game but the rest of us can also feel satisfied...

[Post New]by absolutrebel on Dec 12, 09 3:07 PM
Loved this game, absolutely loved it....well worth the wait for the 6.99 version !!! More like this please BFG, please, please, please !!!

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

[Post New]by Misty40 on Dec 12, 09 3:13 PM
This game is fantastic! Great graphics, great storyline! You can skip puzzles. The objects are not hard to find. The mini-games weren't difficult. I was surprised that I didn't need the walkthrough to get through most of the game. I was figuring stuff out on my own...LOL. Man, I couldn't believe it! I have one complaint, though. I think I caught a cold playing this game...LOL. All of that snow and coldness was too real.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Dec 12, 09 3:14 PM
bronte311 wrote:Oh! And I was going to say, the Nancy Drew games have two difficulty levels built in: Senior and Junior Detective. It would be great if future MCF releases could have that too, so those who don't like the complex puzzles can still enjoy the game but the rest of us can also feel satisfied...
Or maybe a hint system for the puzzles that give you progressive nudges in the right direction instead on only a skip option. I like the more difficult puzzles but everyone is different and progressive hints toward a final solve of mini-game puzzles might please everyone.

In Dire Grove since the puzzles were not of the usual MCF caliber, I was left feeling unchallenged. It seems like many other players were too.

Baranduyn
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by Baranduyn on Dec 12, 09 5:33 PM
I bought the 6.99 version but I have to say that the additional goodies in the deluxe version would not be enough for me to spend twenty dollars.

The replay value on Dire Grove is pretty minimal, in my opinion. I ripped through the game pretty quickly as the pattern is not dissimilar to Ravenhearst, going back and forth between places to get what you need to continue on.

What annoyed the holy (insert your favorite word here) out of me is the videos.

The concept of collecting the videos to provide the last clues was fine. Having to actually watch the videos was just painful. We're so cute. No, you're not.

Also...designers: who was holding the camera when all four were in the shot and when they were being filmed driving from outside the car? Yeah. HUGE huge huge huge hugely annoying break in continuity. I actually started laughing and suggested that the "students" ask the Mystery Cameraperson for some help.

bronte311
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by bronte311 on Dec 12, 09 5:54 PM
Baranduyn wrote:
Also...designers: who was holding the camera when all four were in the shot and when they were being filmed driving from outside the car? Yeah. HUGE huge huge huge hugely annoying break in continuity. I actually started laughing and suggested that the "students" ask the Mystery Cameraperson for some help.

lol, yeah, I caught that too! I can only assume that the banshee was already hanging around and helping out with the filming. Or maybe Allison really got a HUGE research grant and built some sort of contraption to film them from outside the car...hmmm!

[Post New]by elle218 on Dec 12, 09 5:56 PM
To all that are feeling betrayed. BF clearly states that there is an achievement system offered with the collector's edition. That is the morphing object challenge. The story and game play are the same. If BF wants to offer something more for extra money then they have a right to do so. When I have had real issues in the past (a game doesn't work because of my computer) they have been quick to respond and solve the problem.

Call my stupid if you want, but I believe that BF is not a nonprofit organization. We should all be so lucky to have the same helpful service from all the companies we do business with.

By the way, I bought the $6.99 version and am thrilled with my purchase. I have paid the same amount of money for other games I have enjoyed far less. I would be willing to bet you have too.

Keep up the good work BF!

E

[Post New]by JayArDee on Dec 12, 09 8:15 PM
This is what a hidden object game should be. Great graphics. Good story. The videoes are a nice touch too.

Have to agree that puzzles weren't a big challenge, but it was rather refreshing to play through a game with a little less frustration. I refered to walkthrough only once or twice.

Great job BFG.

P.S. I waited for the $6.99 version. I just didn't think morphing objects and easter eggs worth the extra $13.00. I bought two other games instead.

Edited on 12/12/2009 at 8:16:29 PM PST

[Post New]by minkimal on Dec 12, 09 9:39 PM
WOW!! Fabulous game. Just the right mix of HOG and adventure. Immersive, love the FMV, lots of different scenes, and puzzles at just the right level of challenge (for me, anyway) - made you think but not frustrating, and the option to skip if you get tired of working on it. Bring on more of there - I'll buy them all!!!

Martyheinz
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,130 Posts

[Post New]by Martyheinz on Dec 12, 09 9:49 PM
Miniatures1 wrote:as I get more into this game I am liking it less not only are the same scenes used over and over but the same objects

Thought I was the only one not terribly happy with the game.

Edited on 12/12/2009 at 9:50:55 PM PST

april445
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by april445 on Dec 12, 09 10:07 PM
Thanks, Cptduzer

april445
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by april445 on Dec 12, 09 10:09 PM
fudgem wrote:there is an option to change the type of comments, why would anyone want to?

I must say I have found this game a disappointment after all the hype, I haven't even been bothered to carry on to the bitter end with it, just scanned down the last chapter in the walk through, and decided I'd had enough.

You are able to change the comments by clicking on options.

Edited on 12/12/2009 at 10:10:32 PM PST

[Post New]by Calicouchima1 on Dec 12, 09 10:36 PM
I just finished MCF Dire Grove (6.99 version) and I LOVED it. I didn't want it to end! It took me apx 10 hours to finish (no walkthrough or help) and I loved every moment. I would definately recommend this game for purchase. Thanks again Big Fish Games!

Go to: